Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2007, 11:33 PM   #31
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,834
Cool story! Thank you very much for saving the old girl and protecting her all those years. I know it must have been tough keeping a bike around that you really couldn't ride. That puts it more into the realm of art, or really, a museum piece. So you were the curator of a one-item museum.

I do have one question for you: why is the front fender mounted backwards?
Wirespokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:14 AM   #32
funhouse OP
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrla
Cool story! Thank you very much for saving the old girl and protecting her all those years. I know it must have been tough keeping a bike around that you really couldn't ride. That puts it more into the realm of art, or really, a museum piece. So you were the curator of a one-item museum.

I do have one question for you: why is the front fender mounted backwards?
I'd have to ask Udo why it was done that way......maybe something to do with the two heavily modified /2 front fender braces that were used......and like a lot of parts on the bike, became the foundation for a minor industry in stuff to bolt on street BMW's of the era.......Bruce
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:15 AM   #33
OldSchoolMike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
What a wonderful story!

Thanks Bruce for sharing it and for taking such good care of the old girl.
OldSchoolMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:41 AM   #34
funhouse OP
Overdue

Thx -- the experience could never be duplicated since all the factories keep their factory bikes for their museums......Fred Jakobs from Mobile Tradition told me to come by the museum and see 'my' bike anytime I'm in Germany and they asked if I was going to be at Goodwood last year for the bike's public coming out party.....very generous enthusiasts and I'm thrilled they have the bike
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2007, 09:51 AM   #35
funhouse OP
Overdue

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse
I'd have to ask Udo why it was done that way......maybe something to do with the two heavily modified /2 front fender braces that were used......and like a lot of parts on the bike, became the foundation for a minor industry in stuff to bolt on street BMW's of the era.......Bruce
OK, I asked Udo why the fender was put on backwards:

Note: Fender also backwards, to prevent air scooping.
Regards, Udo

The photo is of the bike Udo and Todd built from warranty parts and after work at Butler&Smith -- B&S pulled out of racing after '76 but Udo felt more development would lead to more and better results....came within a point of winning the championship with this bike....which is also back at the BMW Museum -- and was substantially quicker than the orange bikes -- AND it's knowledgable enthusiasts like you that set upon me at the Del Mar Concours with questions I couldn't answer .... damn, I didn't even know the fender was on backwards! You can see that it was time to ship the bike home........
Attached Images

funhouse screwed with this post 07-02-2007 at 10:03 AM
Old 07-02-2007, 02:50 PM   #36
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,834
Hey! That one's got the fender on backwards as well!! I've gotten a few of my bikes with the fender on backwards, that's how I knew. One of them was my 76 90S, and the PO didn't even realize he was doing the ultra racing mod. Or he might have gotten it that way, who knows?

Any idea what that is attached to the front wheel of the white bike? Looks like over-size discs and perhaps some special mounting for the calipers, and...??? It's got that rod from the bottom of the fender to behind the fairing.
Wirespokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:59 PM   #37
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrla
Hey! That one's got the fender on backwards as well!! I've gotten a few of my bikes with the fender on backwards, that's how I knew. One of them was my 76 90S, and the PO didn't even realize he was doing the ultra racing mod. Or he might have gotten it that way, who knows?

Any idea what that is attached to the front wheel of the white bike? Looks like over-size discs and perhaps some special mounting for the calipers, and...??? It's got that rod from the bottom of the fender to behind the fairing.
The brake calipers are mounted on the arms, and the rod attaches to the lower triple clamp. Anti-dive braking

BTW, great thread! Thanks for rescuing the bike
Old 07-02-2007, 03:00 PM   #38
Caddy82rats
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,134
The interest of this front set up is that front of the bike doesn't go down on breaking

nice pics
Caddy82rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:03 PM   #39
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,282
More info; Motorcycle Hall of Fame
Old 07-02-2007, 03:30 PM   #40
funhouse OP
Overdue

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton73
The brake calipers are mounted on the arms, and the rod attaches to the lower triple clamp. Anti-dive braking

BTW, great thread! Thanks for rescuing the bike
the rod is actually a pushrod out of a Cummins diesel truck engine.....here's a pix I took at New Hampshire in 78 when Todd and Udo (in pix) were campaigning the bike as privateers.....
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2007, 03:32 PM   #41
funhouse OP
Overdue

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton73
this is a pix of the bike getting loaded for the trip back to the AMA Museum.....they had it for a year and didn't put a scratch on it.....great people......
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2007, 04:26 PM   #42
Mik
Riding big jugs airheads

Oddometer: 598
What a great post , thanks for sharing your experience and the history with us, I'm nearly speechless.

I'll link this post to the R90S National Sport Owners Club's Yahoo list.

My '74 R90S seduced me into motorcycling not 6 years ago. We enjoyed a wonderful 170 miles two-up run on her yesterday.

a "motor-bike with a touch of blood in it is better than all the riding animals on earth, because of its logical extension of our faculties, and the hint, the provocations, to excess."-T.E. Lawrence

"Don't thank me. Thank da Raidah's." Al Davis to Mik, at Hap's Original, 2008.

"We don't serve Heineken at the nickel machines". Complimentary drinks policy at some dump in Beatty, Nevada.
Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:53 PM   #43
funhouse OP
Overdue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik
What a great post , thanks for sharing your experience and the history with us, I'm nearly speechless.

I'll link this post to the R90S National Sport Owners Club's Yahoo list.

My '74 R90S seduced me into motorcycling not 6 years ago. We enjoyed a wonderful 170 miles two-up run on her yesterday.

Your R90S will run much better when you remove the gov't mandated front fork reflectors.....trust me.....Bruce
Old 07-02-2007, 07:38 PM   #44
tomfarr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse
Your R90S will run much better when you remove the gov't mandated front fork reflectors.....trust me.....Bruce
You need to turn that front fender around ASAP, as well!
Old 07-02-2007, 07:56 PM   #45
woodgrain
In-Dented Savant

Oddometer: 777
When that bike was at Johnny's, I think Steve Pierce was riding for them back then. Do you remember who was their rider of choice? Gord Kerrisdale in Vancouver, B.C, ended up with one of the factory bikes in the latter 70's . I saw him ride it at Westwood in Port Coquitlam. I don't think he knew what a piece of history he had. Rocky Phoenix from Seattle, on a very hopped R90/6 kicked his ass.

Woodgrain
woodgrain is offline   Reply With Quote