Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2007, 08:13 PM   #46
funhouse OP
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodgrain
When that bike was at Johnny's, I think Steve Pierce was riding for them back then. Do you remember who was their rider of choice? Gord Kerrisdale in Vancouver, B.C, ended up with one of the factory bikes in the latter 70's . I saw him ride it at Westwood in Port Coquitlam. I don't think he knew what a piece of history he had. Rocky Phoenix from Seattle, on a very hopped R90/6 kicked his ass.

Woodgrain
Ron rode #83 to its second AMA National win at Laconia in '77 .. others rode it locally in '78 but it never won again...by the end of 78 it was sitting in Johnny's shop where I found it.....I've never heard of Gord but he didn't end up with one of the three bikes...the second bike went to the BMW dealer in Dallas and it was cut in half at Texas World Speedway when a crank let go at about a buck'30...there's nothing left of the original....the third bike went to San Jose BMW and they used the bike with Ritter riding to win Laconia in '78....this track favored the better handling Euro-twins as you can see. The San Jose bike got raced hard for years and there was nothing left of the Butler&Smith '76 Superbike by the end of '77. Gord may well have gotten what was left of the original in the late 70's but it could no longer be called a factory bike....pieces got farmed out or sold and many bikes were said to be "Pridmore's bike" or "McLaughlin's bike" and may well have had bits off one of the factory bikes but #83 is the only one of the three to survive....perhaps the single most interesting bike out there is an R90S Udo built in his spare time and is now in the possession of his son.....it has the short Carillo rods, the Koni monoshock, shortened barrels, wide rims, the works....very tasty looking and the real deal...seen occasionally on the street as well..Bruce
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:28 AM   #47
funhouse OP
Overdue

This is a photo of the R90S Udo Gietl built after the Superbike era .. hey, gotta' do something with the spare bits you have left over.......
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2007, 06:32 AM   #48
funhouse OP
Overdue

better pix of the last of the BMW Superbikes......the anti-dive front end on the bike John Long rode in the late 70's to great successes.....
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2007, 07:37 AM   #49
Valleyrider
I Survived The '60s

Oddometer: 1,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse
Ron rode #83 to its second AMA National win at Laconia in '77 .. others rode it locally in '78 but it never won again...by the end of 78 it was sitting in Johnny's shop where I found it.....I've never heard of Gord but he didn't end up with one of the three bikes...the second bike went to the BMW dealer in Dallas and it was cut in half at Texas World Speedway when a crank let go at about a buck'30...there's nothing left of the original....the third bike went to San Jose BMW and they used the bike with Ritter riding to win Laconia in '78....this track favored the better handling Euro-twins as you can see. The San Jose bike got raced hard for years and there was nothing left of the Butler&Smith '76 Superbike by the end of '77. Gord may well have gotten what was left of the original in the late 70's but it could no longer be called a factory bike....pieces got farmed out or sold and many bikes were said to be "Pridmore's bike" or "McLaughlin's bike" and may well have had bits off one of the factory bikes but #83 is the only one of the three to survive....perhaps the single most interesting bike out there is an R90S Udo built in his spare time and is now in the possession of his son.....it has the short Carillo rods, the Koni monoshock, shortened barrels, wide rims, the works....very tasty looking and the real deal...seen occasionally on the street as well..Bruce
Great pictures and story Bruce! Was this the bike that Cook Neilson and Ron Pierce rode at the 1975 Ontario 6 hour? Harry Klinzman rode the San Jose bike to a win in the AMA race at Laconia or was that an R100S? Lot's of years ago...
Thanks for the memories.
Willie

P.S. I bought a '77 R100S a couple years back. It had the Johnny's medalian on the stem nut. The front fender was also mounted backwards!!
May have been a Bakersfield thing!!
Attached Images

Valleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:39 AM   #50
Valleyrider
I Survived The '60s

Johnny's Medalian
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2007, 10:32 AM   #51
funhouse OP
Overdue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ookii_inkei
Great pictures and story Bruce! Was this the bike that Cook Neilson and Ron Pierce rode at the 1975 Ontario 6 hour? Harry Klinzman rode the San Jose bike to a win in the AMA race at Laconia or was that an R100S? Lot's of years ago...
Thanks for the memories.
Willie

P.S. I bought a '77 R100S a couple years back. It had the Johnny's medalian on the stem nut. The front fender was also mounted backwards!!
May have been a Bakersfield thing!!
Ron Pierce won in '77 at Laconia on the bike I bought from him in '79.....and I can't imagine Cook ever rode a BMW.......I'll ask Schilling when he gets back from Ducati Weekend tomorrow.......? (and I can't imagine any of the three Butler&Smith bikes would last a Six Hour enduro.....)
Old 07-03-2007, 10:48 AM   #52
Valleyrider
I Survived The '60s

Quote:
Ron Pierce won in '77 at Laconia on the bike I bought from him in '79.....and I can't imagine Cook ever rode a BMW.......I'll ask Schilling when he gets back from Ducati Weekend tomorrow.......? (and I can't imagine any of the three Butler&Smith bikes would last a Six Hour enduro.....)
Sorry, went back and checked the old Motorcycle Weekly, I was wrong. Pat Egan and Ron Pierce were teamed up on a BMW. Cook rode with Reg Pridmore on another BMW. The race was won by Martin Carney and Roger Hagie (Kawasaki employees) on a box stock Z1. Dale McCreary and I won the 350 class on a Fairway Yamaha sponsored RD350 (my avatar) and finished 8th overall.
Say Hi to Phil for me,
Willie

Valleyrider screwed with this post 07-03-2007 at 11:02 AM
Old 07-03-2007, 11:06 AM   #53
funhouse OP
Overdue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ookii_inkei
Sorry, went back and checked the old Motorcycle Weekly, I was wrong. Pat Egan and Ron Pierce were teamed up on a BMW. Cook rode with Reg Pridmore on another BMW. The race was won by Martin Carney and Roger Hagie (Kawasaki employees) on a box stock Z1. Dale McCreary and I won the 350 class on a Fairway Yamaha sponsored RD350 (my avatar) and finished 8th overall.
Say Hi to Phil for me,
Willie
You must have known Dick Fuller if you were a 350ist'a at that time! Dick taught me how to ride....or rather, taught me how poorly I ride...I was on a new CB750F with the mandatory 400F bars and he was on a rat CB125.....cleaned my clock from the top of 33 down the hill to Ojai.....I've been humble ever since.....Bruce
Old 07-03-2007, 11:14 AM   #54
Valleyrider
I Survived The '60s

Quote:
You must have known Dick Fuller if you were a 350ist'a at that time! Dick taught me how to ride....or rather, taught me how poorly I ride...I was on a new CB750F with the mandatory 400F bars and he was on a rat CB125.....cleaned my clock from the top of 33 down the hill to Ojai.....I've been humble ever since.....Bruce
Hey Bruce, Yeah I knew Dick. I rode the 350 one time. I rode 250's most of the time. Cook knew me as Bob Roberts. I had to use an alias. Company I worked for did not want me racing.
Willie
Old 02-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #55
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,867
bump for a cool thread
Old 02-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #56
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Thanks!

That was a nice read!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #57
d mc gee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
I touched 83 at VMD in 04 when nobody was looking. Just saying......

01 1150 GS
84 R100RS
74 XL350
d mc gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #58
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Hombre View Post
I saw the article in Cycle World a couple of years ago about you and this bike. With the race poster on the wall.

You should get in touch with Ken Augustine up in Marin county. That was his bike to wrench on. He told me some interesting stories about what they did and how he would do it better today.

Bike's back in Munich, isn't it?

Where did you find a Michelin PZ-2 front tire?
I haven't thought of Kenny Augustine in so long. I suspect I have gotten Augustine's and Axtell's name mixed up a few times telling stories. Is Augustine still porting heads? I hope so!!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:19 PM   #59
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse View Post
better pix of the last of the BMW Superbikes......the anti-dive front end on the bike John Long rode in the late 70's to great successes.....
Full floating front brakes. Hardly anyone full floats them even on the back anymore. I can see why on street bikes but I don't get it not floating dirt bike rear brakes?

Did you bring that bike by San Jose BMW in the late '90's?
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #60
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,347
Pussy.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote