Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2007, 09:11 PM   #1
shleppy OP
Shlepdawg on da smoov tip

Oddometer: 605
Another ADV ride in the Santa Anas (So Cal)

I know.. I know.. I can hear it already..not that Shleppy guy again with another ride report from the Santa Ana Mountains.. didn't he just put up two or three ride reports in the same area in the last few months?"

Yep, guilty as charged.. but if the ADV guys keep showin' up.. I'll keep postin'

Another weekend was on it's way so I decided to head up into the Santa Ana mountains once again. Instead of riding solo I decided to see if any other ADV inmates would join me. I slapped a ride posting on the adv board on Tuesday and by Friday night a healthy group had indicated they would meet up for the ride on Saturday morning.

The game plan was to meet up at the Silverado Cafe parking lot and head up into them thar hills. I rode over to the cafe a few minutes before 9:30 and a motley crew had already assembled.

From left to right above: DRConvertable, GoNow, DrzFire, MrMike, Wes Mantooth and fmfpunk hangin out at the beginning of the ride at the Silverado Cafe parking lot. We had a couple DRZ650's, a DRZ400, a KTM 950, a KLR 650, a couple KTM 525's and a BMW 1200GS in the mix piloted by Mr Wes Mantooth who was going to be hitting the dirt for the first time today .

We headed out of the parking lot a bit after 9:30 and grabbed Starchaser on the way in who was waiting for us down the road a bit.

Here is a shot of what Silverado Canyon road looks like as you ascend up the canyon towards the Santa Anas. The entire 6 mile stretch of the road is tree lined and quite scenic.

The Well paved Silverado Canyon road transitions into pavement that is a bit more worn but still pretty smooth.

After about 3 or 4 miles of the slightly worn pavement, the road turns into a fire road at this turn. Lance (Wes mantooth) will probably remember this corner very well because just a few hundred yards after this turn he decided that his BMW 1200GS was far too clean and decided to bathe it in dirt . His foot took a solid hit and his mirror had been broken but his resolve to continue on was not.

Un-phased by his first dirt crash Lance continued on. Here is a shot of Lance a few miles later heading up Maple Springs road towards the main divide.

Here's StarChaser at the same spot.

We arrived up at 4 corners (where maple springs meets the main divide) and chilled out for a bit.

We hopped back on our bikes and headed left (north) on the Main Divide towards Corona. Here is a shot looking at where we were headed.

After a few miles we could look off to our left and see Maple Springs Rd that we had just ascended 15 minutes earlier.

2006 F650GS (sold)
2007 DRZ 400s
2009 F650GS

shleppy screwed with this post 06-30-2007 at 11:29 PM
shleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:30 PM   #2
shleppy OP

It turns out that Lance was just not challenged enough by riding a 1200GS with street tires in the dirt so he decided to add a bit excitement by loosening his handlebars during some of the more challenging descents. (OK.. I may be embellishing a bit here.. in reality his bars rotated on their own while he was riding ) Just to recap.. lance was riding on his first dirt ride, on a 1200GS, with street tires, with handlebars that moved back and forth..oh and by the way.. his ankle was killing him from the earlier crash.... this dude is unstoppable ! We thought that the Cafe racer handlebar setup was looking pretty sweet but it was decided that we would tighten them up and rotate them back to where they should be.

It turned out that the tool kit on the BMW didn't have a socket to fit the handlebar bolts but Mr Mike offered up some tools and with the help of GoNow they had things back in shape in no time

We re-mounted and headed off once again towards Corona on the main divide. Due to the heat and the slightly windy conditions we saw a few dust devils along the ridge line. You can just make one out in the distance in this photo.

Here's a shot of GoNow (Eddie) flying by on the Katoom Nine fiddy..

DRZFire (Dave) At the same spot doin it DR650 style..

DRConvertable (Todd) on a DR650 as well and fmfpunk (Marty) rollin' by on the KLR.

StarChaser (T) in the same spot on his 525 EXC-G

Wes Mantooth (Lance) on the 1200GS looking pretty smooth and in control.

Mr Mike cruisin by on another 525 EXC-G

A few miles down the road we saw the worlds largest golf ball all T'd up. Anyone bring their clubs with them today?

2006 F650GS (sold)
2007 DRZ 400s
2009 F650GS

shleppy screwed with this post 06-30-2007 at 11:30 PM
Old 06-30-2007, 10:05 PM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,862
Great lookin' ride location! Thanks for the pics and report
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:03 PM   #4
shleppy OP

We eventually made our way over to Beeks place. an abandoned homestead of somekind.

After leaving Beeks we headed a mile or so down the Main Divide and took a right onto Skyline Rd which took us down to Corona. Wouldn't want to overshoot a corner here

Here's a shot of StarChaser towards the bottom of Skyline Rd.

Skyline Rd eventually runs into pavement at a locked gate. Not sure what purpose the gate served because you could drive a UPS truck around it.

MrMike said he had been down here before and knew where the closest place was to get some grub. In a few minutes we had reached the fine dining establishment of Carls Jr.

I think Dave is yelling over to the other guys something to the tune of "Hey guys.... they have an outside kidde play room.. suhweeeet ! "

So we headed inside to the well air conditioned grub hut (damn that AC felt good) and ordered our respective artery clogging meals. (but tastey artery clogging meals none the less ) Here is a shot of some the group waiting for lunch to arrive... If you look closely You can see Todd and Lance on cell phones in the back of the photo. It was pretty hot outside and they may have been pretty tired because I think they decided to call each other instead of yelling across the 17 inch gap between tables

We were all ready to go so we took a quick head count and... hey.. where is DRZFire.. anyone see where Dave went off to?

Aha.. there he is....Sorry Dave.. your too tall for Toddler Town! (there may or may not have been some photoshop involved in the production of this image... I will never tell )

After we found Dave (and dragged him kicking and screeming from the bouncy ball pit) Lance headed back on the slab towards home. He had all of our collective respect for riding the 1200GS on this ride. Yo Da man Lance !

The rest of us headed over to Temescal canyon road and hung a right on Bedford Rd which turned back into dirt and took us back up to the main divide. We all ate more than our fair share of dust on this ascent.

We got to where Bedford RD intersected the main divide and too a quick breather.

Not sure what's going on here with Dave... Either he is hearing the lyrics to Mr Roboto in his head or he is showing us how to kung foo chop and invisible assailant of some kind.. I'm not sure

We then backtracked some of the same terrain we came up on.. we headed back down the main divide to Maple Springs which eventually turned back into Silverado Canyon Rd. We ran into a couple of more riders on the way down and chatted for a bit. StarChaser loaded up his KTM back into his truck and we all headed our seperate ways.

Thanks again for the ride today gang. We should probably hit this area again soom before it's closed due to fire danger .

2006 F650GS (sold)
2007 DRZ 400s
2009 F650GS

shleppy screwed with this post 06-30-2007 at 11:41 PM
Old 06-30-2007, 11:21 PM   #5
DRconvertible
Lurking in SoCal

Oddometer: 256
I don't have any pics worthy of the front page, but I'll post what I took today.

After Wes Mantooth's bike was repaired, we continued down the road where GoNow attempted to ride his sweet 950 up a sheer 400 foot cliff wall...

...and almost made it.

The boys helped him wrestle it back to the trail.

It was of course steeper, longer, ruttier and gnarlier in person......

StarChaser arrives...

Followed by dirt-ridin' Wes Mantooth...

....and Shleppy....

I think someone said Charlie Chaplin used to live here. Yeah. Either Charlie Chaplin or Pam Anderson or someone....you know, famous...

That 950 kept jumping into all of my pictures. Sweet, sweet bike. All dirt bikes should sound as cool as that 950.

The remains of Charlie Chaplin's stables....

As much as I lusted after the 950, my tastes run to the simpler things in life. Nothing's more comfortable than a paid for DR650 with the stock seat.

That's what I got. I had a great time with everybody today. It was nice meeting all of you. Nice riding with you, again, Marty. I'll look forward to other rides in the future.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:35 PM   #6
shleppy OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRconvertible

Followed by dirt-ridin' Wes Mantooth...

Hmm.. anything missing from this photo? Anyone.... Anyone..? Seems to me there is a missing mirror on the right side of that GS

2006 F650GS (sold)
2007 DRZ 400s
2009 F650GS
Old 07-01-2007, 01:11 AM   #7
searaider2k
Searaider

Oddometer: 7
Santiago Peak June 30th 2007

Hey guys it was nice to meet you all. Here are some of the shots I took at the mapple springs gate and one from where the 4x4 was trashed. Mr Ranger was a cool guy ! Gave some great info.

searaider2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:46 AM   #8
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,559
Nice photos Shleppy.

It's not so much that hill is steeper then it looks (it is), it was just covered with soft dirt and loose rocks. A fact that I did realize until I was already committed to the climb. It didn't stop me from panicking over my new found knowledge, and trying to change my line over the worst part and dropping it.
Thanks for the help picking the beast up.

Oh, and I don't know what Shleppy was doing with his photo shoot that one time. He says he was going up ahead to take photos, but what he really did was dart out from some bush and run right in front of me right as I came up the crest at full bore for the photo opt.

That Shleppy can really run.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 02:10 PM   #9
Wes Mantooth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,104
Ankle = sore; Bike = beaten; Lance = happy!!! Amazing time ya'll! Thanks again for being patient and giving me all those pointers.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:25 PM   #10
drzfire
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Thanks for taking the time to post these pics! Looking forward to the next ride!

Dave
drzfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:45 PM   #11
starchaser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Thanks for the great report and good pics too.
starchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:42 AM   #12
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth
Ankle = sore; Bike = beaten; Lance = happy!!! Amazing time ya'll! Thanks again for being patient and giving me all those pointers.

good one on ya for takin' the BMW off the pavement. Get yourself some moto boots, real knee pads and fer Dog's sake keep your toes on the pegs buddy!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:59 AM   #13
CA_Strom
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,178
Nice ride report. I need to get the Strom up that way soon. Question on the "Adventure Pass". Do they require these for motorcycles too? I always wondered where I was supposed to place mine when parked and away from the bike.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:32 AM   #14
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,559
I believe they are, but it's more for the people that park their car/trucks and hike/ride up the hill. If you are riding your bike, then I would not worry about it.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:54 PM   #15
Flyinggreek84
Go ahead, cut me off!

Oddometer: 203
Great pics guys. Looks like a blast. I wish i could have made it, but the river called and the boat was lonely, so next time for sure. I ride that all the time and have never had any issues with the "Adventure pass".

Glad everyone is in good health.

Ride on ya'll
Flyinggreek84 is offline   Reply With Quote