User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2007, 11:30 AM   #1
jpalamar OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,077
Final Test Report On McCruise Cruise Control

I had the opportunity this weekend to do an extensive test on the McCruise cruise control on my 2007 GS Adventure with ABSII (2).

The installation was done by Master Technician Barbara Williams @ BMW Daytona (FL). The installation is neat and truly looks 'factory' installed. I offer this unabashed opinion of BMW Daytona, Lee Florin (service manager), and Barbara because of their willingness to 'invest' time and effort in the installation and go out on a limb and install a product that's not in the BMW inventory.

Here's, once again, is a picture of the unit, installed. Notice how it complements the other controls and McCruise has done a very nice job of also color matching the controls. Also, being a fan of corrosion prevention, the bracket is stainless steel along with the fastener(s). Nice touch by the way.

The unit is almost more 'carlike' in its appearance than the standard cruise on other BMW models. And it works flawlessly.

1. The lowest speed I attempted to engage the cruise was just below 35 mph. IT MAY ENGAGE LOWER. A nice feature around town or those miserable roads where they should be 55 but the local constabulary makes a living on the 35.

2. We don't have that many hills here but it holds speed at less than +/- 0.5 mph which is IMO excellent. That was an area I was personally concerned about.

3. The ACCEL and DECEL buttons work like the BMW Cruise, but the increment to accelerate and decelerate appears to be a bit 'larger' than BMW's increment.

It's difficult to say much more about something as 'simple', at least in function, as cruise control. Suffice it to say it works and is a very, very welcome addition to one helluva fine touring/Adventure cycle.

I would highly recommend it to anyone.

I am not sure all dealers will embrace this technology, that's your problem to work out. I also suspect that the more adventurous 'wrenches' on this site could tackle the project. I know that Barbara studied the installation for some time and that of course it can be done. The 5 or so installation hours for a certified technician likely would have translated into 'tragedy' for me; not that I'm inept, but having all the proper tools and a lift go a long way. DIY or have a dealer do it, I opt for the dealer, providing you have one that's customer oriented and/or sees this as a business opportunity.

One last item that's has nothing to do with McCruise but is important. Perhaps someone will move this to a dealer review; but, getting your bike back without scuffs, grunge on the seat, and looking like it came in is[very] important to me. I suspect that they work hard to accomplish this!

jpalamar screwed with this post 07-02-2007 at 11:40 AM
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:39 AM   #2
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,307
The big question here is how much $$$

Looks Sweeeet!
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:41 AM   #3
KarlH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonebag
The big question here is how much $$$

Looks Sweeeet!
$1200 installed
KarlH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:02 PM   #4
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
thanks, john
maybe BMW will put a CC on their GS bikes one day (most of us... including you... doubt it, however)

the McCruise seems to be the best and highest quality aftermarket CC now available

BMW lists CC as an option on the GT and RT for around $350.00
but... for the McCruise and all that went into the install... $1,200.00 DOES seem reasonable... as ridiculous as that sounds

after having ridden back-to-back 800 miles days last year on my GS... i would have paid FAR MORE THAN that $1,200.00 at that moment, i can well assure you
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:06 PM   #5
jbim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
John:

Did you buy the unit direct from MCCruise and have BMW install it pr did you buy it from BMW installed?
jbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:15 PM   #6
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,047
Thanks for the long term update on your experience with the MC Cruise

If BMW offered CC on the GS, I'd trade mine in for a new one with it
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:02 AM   #7
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,653
Glad it works well. If I were buying a new GS that offered it, I would get it. For the current price, though, I will stick with my Kaoko throttle lock. It works well enough.
Smugmug Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:38 PM   #8
Pappy541
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
great review,

What type of grips do you have?
Pappy541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:00 PM   #9
jpalamar OP
Beastly Adventurer

Grips

These are offered by California Sport Touring called 'Grip Puppies'. Here's the link: http://www.casporttouring.com/store/...Code=Hand-Cont

Be sure to order the 'small ones'. In advance, they do work with the heated grips; takes a bit longer for them to 'heat up'.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:14 AM   #10
trscott
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
What about parts only cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlH
$1200 installed
So what if you install it yourself?
[-- 1996 BMW R1100GS, Aeroflow, Fastway F3, Jesse Odyssey, Garmin Zumo 550, Motorrad Elektrik 40LED taillight, Hella FF200 Fog, Kisan (P115W-S, CG-10, SM-5, 100HD), ABS Control Mods, Autocom Super Pro AVI 300, TT 35mm Bar Risers, TT GV Gearbox Hardparts, 1150 Handguards --]________o6o
trscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:21 AM   #11
jpalamar OP
Beastly Adventurer

Self-Install

A few people on other sites have installed it themselves. McCruise.com, I believe is the website and I'm quite sure you can order it direct. Based upon Australian vs USD conversion rates seems I remember the unit about 600-700 bucks, plus/minus. The rest was/is labor. Randy Prade, KLT.COM I know for one installed his. A brief tutorial/write-up on the installation BTW.