Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2014, 10:11 PM   #1
dago2a OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Question 2007 GSA Stalling issues

Greetings fellow inmates!

I have just (like last week) purchased a 2007 R1200GS Adventure. It has around 43,000 miles, and is in great condition (or so I thought). I flew to Tulsa Oklahoma and rode it back home to Austin, TX. It was comfortable, and smooth the whole way back! I have never been on a more comfortable or user friendly bike!

Unfortunately, I have found a very annoying problem since I have been home. It stalls unexpectedly anytime I pull up to a stop light or coast to a halt. When I pull in the clutch the RPMs plummet and drop right to zero. It might pretend like it is going to idle for a split second, but it doesn't. It will start right back up every time, but I don't think I should have to twist the throttle to sit at a light... It does eventually seem to stop, but it takes quite a while. What should my idle be when I start the bike, and what should it be after warm up?

I have searched through previous threads, and found a handful that have described the same problem, but there isn't an actual solution that I have been able to find. I have been riding for 15 years and have quite a bit of mechanical experience as well, but this is my first crack at a BMW.

Any help would be great!!

Thanks in advance,

Zach V
Austin, TX
dago2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:06 PM   #2
Tuff Tunica
Moto-Skiveez creator

Oddometer: 630
Fuel pump recall

Check with the previous owner or maybe the dealer but there is a repair bulletin out on 2005-2011??? (I think) R1200GS and GSA's for a fuel pump issue. This may be a contributing factor. Not sure but worth looking into none the less.
Tuff Tunica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #3
dago2a OP
Adventurer

Thanks

I'll check that out on Monday!
Old 09-07-2014, 06:58 PM   #4
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,471
Just a guess. Pull the air filter.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #5
dago2a OP
Adventurer

Ok

I will try that as well.

Thanks guys,
Zach
Old 09-08-2014, 11:02 AM   #6
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 3,041
The first thing(s) you want to make sure of before looking for a problem is that the engine is properly tuned:
Valves are properly adjusted, spark plugs are good, gap is correct and the coil leads are all tight, also check the air filter (as mentioned) and the throttle bodies are in sync.
I would also try running a good double dose of fuel injector cleaner through a full tank of gas, Techron works very well as do other brands.
After that if there is still an issue than you can go from there as it may require a dealer visit or a GS911.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:50 PM   #7
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,297
Did this problem only happen after your ride home? It was idling OK when you bought it?

" It does eventually seem to stop, but it takes quite a while......"
What does this mean....?

What stops? The stalling at idle?

Get the bike tuned as mentioned above. If it is still idling poorly, then we can start trouble shooting. Do you have the service history?
Old 09-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #8
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by dago2a View Post
Greetings fellow inmates!

I have just (like last week) purchased a 2007 R1200GS Adventure. It has around 43,000 miles, and is in great condition (or so I thought). I flew to Tulsa Oklahoma and rode it back home to Austin, TX. It was comfortable, and smooth the whole way back! I have never been on a more comfortable or user friendly bike!

Unfortunately, I have found a very annoying problem since I have been home. It stalls unexpectedly anytime I pull up to a stop light or coast to a halt. When I pull in the clutch the RPMs plummet and drop right to zero. It might pretend like it is going to idle for a split second, but it doesn't. It will start right back up every time, but I don't think I should have to twist the throttle to sit at a light... It does eventually seem to stop, but it takes quite a while. What should my idle be when I start the bike, and what should it be after warm up?

I have searched through previous threads, and found a handful that have described the same problem, but there isn't an actual solution that I have been able to find. I have been riding for 15 years and have quite a bit of mechanical experience as well, but this is my first crack at a BMW.

Any help would be great!!

Thanks in advance,

Zach V
Austin, TX
Send me a PM. I'm in Round Rock and have a gs-911 and we can hook it up and look for errors.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:28 AM   #9
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,471
OK. What's the story? Any answers yet?
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:34 PM   #10
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,042
Haven't heard from the OP. He hasn't been on since the day he started this thread. I guess he'll check in eventually.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:26 PM   #11
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,297
Well, why we wait, lets speculate!

I'll start:

1 Bad gas from his local supply.

2 Bad spark plug, lead/coil stick/hi-tension lead stuff

3 Operator error (n00b, etc)
Old 09-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #12
dago2a OP
Adventurer

Sorry I have been off. I have been travelling for work... so far I have:
1. replaced air filter, looked ok, but replaced anyway.
2. Inspected spark plugs, they were replaced (reportedly) by the previous owner about 750 before I bought it. They were fouled a bit, but nothing that seemed out of question. I have purchased new ones and will install this weekend.
3. Got a diagnostic reading from a dealership prior to taking accepting in Tulsa, no faults.
4. Ran a double dose of Techron through a tank of gas, well most of a tank so far.
5. Checked tightness of coil leads, seem secure to me.

As far as the valves and throttle bodies go, I have no idea. I will run the valves this weekend, hopefully. I have not looked into syncing throttle bodies yet.

Since my OP I have really started to pay attention to when it happens. Generally it is when there are fewer than 3 bars on the temp gauge, although it did occur at about 65 mph last Sunday while on a ride. I was 50 miles into a spirited ride and went to downshift into 4th, and as soon as I pulled in the clutch, it died.

Thanks for your replies so far,
Zach
Old 09-16-2014, 11:32 AM   #13
dago2a OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
Did this problem only happen after your ride home? It was idling OK when you bought it?

" It does eventually seem to stop, but it takes quite a while......"
What does this mean....?

What stops? The stalling at idle?
1. I was told that this occurred "once or twice" to the previous owner, but we were not able to induce the problem when I went to pick it up.

2. Sorry for the ambiguity, the stalling stops (more or less) after the bike has been ridden for several miles. Except it has now happened at operating temp and at speed.

Zach
Old 09-16-2014, 11:43 AM   #14
dago2a OP
Adventurer

Maybe number 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
Well, why we wait, lets speculate!

I'll start:

1 Bad gas from his local supply.

2 Bad spark plug, lead/coil stick/hi-tension lead stuff

3 Operator error (n00b, etc)
So I thought of the first. I have only run premium unleaded from major brands, and two of the four tanks I have put through it have had Techron in them.

I am intrigued by your second option, and am trying to figure out how to test that. Checked the WISDOM, and it doesn't seem to be covered. Any ideas?

While I will readily admit to being a noob with BMW bikes in general, and GS's in particular, I don't see how the operation is really different between them and any of the other bikes I own? I have been riding for almost 20 years and have been racing both on and off road, and cruising for tens of thousands of miles. Is there something unique to operating a BMW that I may need to know?
Old 09-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #15
dago2a OP
Adventurer

Idle Speed

What is the correct idle speed? I read somewhere on here that there should be a high idle upon initial startup, and then a different idle speed after warming up. However mine is never over 1000rpm indicated, is this too low? What should they be?

Thanks,
Zach