Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2003, 12:21 PM   #1
PaulCISSA OP
Unsweetened/Sugar-Free

Oddometer: 683
Wink Need some early tire sizes

Hi boys and girls! Hi Chop!

I've got my 1975 RD200B "Anti-Beastly Adventure Bike" half stripped down gettin' ready for a metamorphesis to it's original shiny cuteness.

Tires are going to be a bitch to get sized up right.....

Originals are Yokohamas that are no longer in production:

2.75x18 Front; ribbed pattern
3.00x18 Rear; block pattern

The rear tire is not so big an issue, there's Kenda and Cheng Shin available for that. The rough one is the front. I'm not finding ribbed patterns in 2.75, only in 2.50 and 3.00. If I must, I'll go up in size but the intent of this project is to go as close to original on everything possible.

If anyone has a favorite tire contact that really knows thier shit, share the love!

Thanks in advance!
PaulCISSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 01:02 PM   #2
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
Re: Need some early tire sizes

Quote:
Said PaulCISSA:
Hi boys and girls! Hi Chop!

I've got my 1975 RD200B "Anti-Beastly Adventure Bike" half stripped down gettin' ready for a metamorphesis to it's original shiny cuteness.

Tires are going to be a bitch to get sized up right.....

Originals are Yokohamas that are no longer in production:

2.75x18 Front; ribbed pattern
3.00x18 Rear; block pattern

The rear tire is not so big an issue, there's Kenda and Cheng Shin available for that. The rough one is the front. I'm not finding ribbed patterns in 2.75, only in 2.50 and 3.00. If I must, I'll go up in size but the intent of this project is to go as close to original on everything possible.

If anyone has a favorite tire contact that really knows thier shit, share the love!

Thanks in advance!
have a search around the net and I bet you can find a conversion chart. I think your best bet will be bridgestone.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:31 PM   #3
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,175
The bevelhead ducatisti I hang with some favor the Avon AM20 and AM21 for the twins. Looks like 90/90-18 is as small as it goes for the front.
See http://www.avonmotorcycle.com/

Also well-regarded for the singles are the Pirelli M65, but they're not sold in the USA. Phil at Road and Race in Oz (http://www.roadandrace.com.au/ ) will send'em anywhere, though. Pirelli makes a new tire for the small Euro bikes, don't recall the eminently cute name. The Pirelli Web site used to be fine, but now it's all tarted up and it sucks. Prolly works fine with some retrograde browser like IE. I'll leave it as an exercise for the student.

None of the above tires are gonna look like a 70's tire. If you're committed to a vintage look, I suggest checking the ads in Classic Bike and plan on getting them from some shop in Old Blighty. The Brits have kept every old machine--not just bikes--ever made in good working order, it appears. You can get the size and look you want. You may have to put up with vastly better performance than was available when the bike was new.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:07 PM   #4
fxray
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Heidenau has their K39 vintage tire available in 2.75-18, and their K36 vintage tire in 3.50-18. The tread pattern may not be exactly what you are after, but close perhaps? Heidenau Tires

I have a set of Heidenau's ordered for a CL350, not the sizes you are looking for, but oddball sizes. This was about all I could find.

HTH
fxray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #5
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 5,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxray View Post
Heidenau has their K39 vintage tire available in 2.75-18, and their K36 vintage tire in 3.50-18. The tread pattern may not be exactly what you are after, but close perhaps? Heidenau Tires

I have a set of Heidenau's ordered for a CL350, not the sizes you are looking for, but oddball sizes. This was about all I could find.

HTH

Holy eleven year old thread resurrection , Batman
Old 04-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #6
fxray
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700 View Post
Holy eleven year old thread resurrection , Batman
Wow, didn't even notice. Old's cool, right? Does that count for threads too? Rookie mistake. Guess I had tires on my brain.
fxray is offline   Reply With Quote