0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2007, 01:03 PM   #136
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx125
Mine might be an unwanted question at this point . .but assuming the EWS does work for 98% of bikes . . and by creating no easy system bypass (even by skilled engineers, of which there are many on this site), does that not create a meaningful deterrent to theives?

The reality that some owners don't want it is a separate issue. Perhaps actual theft numbers are the proof. Have GS's proven to be less common targets?

If yes, then the lack of any bypass or 911 type mod just shows sign of a strong security method by BMW. . no?

London bike theft is rampant and they love GS's there. Perhaps some have insight.
This may be the case in London...but I can leave my GS with it's keys in it here and nobody will even look at it except for to wonder who the hell would want to drive that ugly thing This is the land of Harley Davidson..most folks don't know BMW makes a Motorcycle.... BMW did a MAGNIFICENT job with the EWS as far as theft deterent...but here..in the states..these bikes are worth more as parts as it's not easy to sell a stolen BMW GS..I mean..how would you do that...So a theif doesn't care if it will run or not..they'll just throw it in the back of truck and have it in pieces and on ebay by the end of the day.

I would gladly have a sticker saying "THE ANTI-THEFT DEVICE ON THIS VEHICLE HAS BEEN DE-ACTIVATED...HAVE A NICE DAY" If it meant not having to even think about having a problem like this (the biggest deal is it's not an easy fix) And I don't think there's many parts of London that are 500 miles away from the nearest dealer

Damn..just went on Yahoo maps...London is less than 300 miles from Paris...I'd be there in the time it took me to get to Indianapolis
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:51 PM   #137
mx125
Knob from Canada

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonebag
This may be the case in London...but I can leave my GS with it's keys in it here and nobody will even look at it except for to wonder who the hell would want to drive that ugly thing This is the land of Harley Davidson..most folks don't know BMW makes a Motorcycle.... BMW did a MAGNIFICENT job with the EWS as far as theft deterent...but here..in the states..these bikes are worth more as parts as it's not easy to sell a stolen BMW GS..I mean..how would you do that...So a theif doesn't care if it will run or not..they'll just throw it in the back of truck and have it in pieces and on ebay by the end of the day.

I would gladly have a sticker saying "THE ANTI-THEFT DEVICE ON THIS VEHICLE HAS BEEN DE-ACTIVATED...HAVE A NICE DAY" If it meant not having to even think about having a problem like this (the biggest deal is it's not an easy fix) And I don't think there's many parts of London that are 500 miles away from the nearest dealer

Damn..just went on Yahoo maps...London is less than 300 miles from Paris...I'd be there in the time it took me to get to Indianapolis
I was just using London as a possible high theft insight into the value of EWS. I'm in Canada and probably have the same patterns as most of the US. And you're probably right . . thieves here won't resell, they'll part out. And with so few non-jap bikes around, why bother parting out a BMW when a cbr600 is the next bike over. But I do recall getting cheaper insurance when overseas because my bike had factory immobilizer. . . .so maybe some theft stats do back them up. And if so . . it would justify the agument for an un crackable EWS.
mx125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:23 PM   #138
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx125
I was just using London as a possible high theft insight into the value of EWS. I'm in Canada and probably have the same patterns as most of the US. And you're probably right . . thieves here won't resell, they'll part out. And with so few non-jap bikes around, why bother parting out a BMW when a cbr600 is the next bike over. But I do recall getting cheaper insurance when overseas because my bike had factory immobilizer. . . .so maybe some theft stats do back them up. And if so . . it would justify the agument for an un crackable EWS.
I, did get a better rate on my BMW because the EWS is considered, at least by Sentry..to be a Theft Detterent Maybe my rate is cheaper on my BMW because they figure the EWS will keep me from riding..
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:49 PM   #139
Remy
Woe is uh a me bop!

Oddometer: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonebag
Maybe my rate is cheaper on my BMW because they figure the EWS will keep me from riding..
Heck, if that was the case then we'd all get a cheaper rate because we're posting on the internet!
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:04 PM   #140
Beeming
Itchy Feet

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by 761
Has anyone of us contacted BMW about this problem? Instead of relying on them to "trace parts sold" and INFER that there is a problem from that information?
We should all contact BMW about this and any other problem. Not that it will do any good, but at least we're not relying on them to figure it out from parts sold.
????
I would be VERY interested in a way to bypass this thing. I've seen the error a few times on my dash, but haven't paid any attention to it, just turned the key off and back on again. Now I feel like it is a ticking bomb waiting to go off.
Has anybody contacted the GS911 manufacturers to see if they could come up with something?
I'm with Gadget Boy, the challenge is on!

I'll pay a lawyer to do some investigation on how common this problem is if I break down in the middle of nowhere and it costs me $5000 to get my bike home! That is if I don't perish
It would be within their own best interests to either better the system or have some bypass system like Gum stated they have with the cars.
The courts would have a field day if its found BMW knew a problem existed and did nothing to fix it no matter how infrequent it may or may not be.
Not all of us travel the motorways within the reaches of assistance.

Iron Side Up

Tads
07 GS1200ADV (History), 2008 Oz Trike, 93 FLHS HD, 83 XLH HD(Missus Bike), 97 GSX-R-600(Ex SuperSport Race Bike), 97 XR-400, 74 Norton Commando Mk II(Ex Post Classic race Bike), 06 DT-175, 82 CB-250, 02 VMoto. Work to Ride, Ride to Work
http://wwf.org.au/ourwork/species/
...Adventure before Dementia...
Beeming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:27 PM   #141
gpothoven
whatever

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeming
Not all of us travel the motorways within the reaches of assistance.

Iron Side Up

Tads
+1...
gpothoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:39 AM   #142
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,370
I found this while searching
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/faq_ews.shtml

I shot them an email to see if something could be done for bikes. The guy who recieved my email happens to be a GS rider and a member of advrider.

He is going to contact his software engineer and check it out.

B.E. Coyote screwed with this post 06-28-2007 at 08:45 AM
B.E. Coyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:06 AM   #143
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,842

If they were able to hack into BMW auto's EWS, they should be able to hack into the bikes....

Let us know what you find out.. and tell him the $500 price offered was just a joke .. we're ok with $50

GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:18 AM   #144
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,370
He didn't seem real confident that it was something the engineer would want to do but he did say that he had already been following the thread.

Maybe he will post something on here. I don't want to "out" him on my own.
B.E. Coyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:35 AM   #145
GB
Mod Squad

Money talks... maybe your contact can start a POLL of who would like the EWS disabled on their bike.. I see $$ signs in this venture.. All you need is the GS911 fault code reader to upload the program that disables the EWS..

And this isn't limited to GS's, but all hexheads and new K bikes.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:37 AM   #146
dugmar
Pinball Wizard

Oddometer: 2,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote
I found this while searching
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/faq_ews.shtml

I shot them an email to see if something could be done for bikes. The guy who recieved my email happens to be a GS rider and a member of advrider.

He is going to contact his software engineer and check it out.
I'm "the guy."

I have a request in to our engineer. Will post what he has to say once I hear back.
dugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:21 AM   #147
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugmar
I'm "the guy."

I have a request in to our engineer. Will post what he has to say once I hear back.

JIm
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:12 PM   #148
dugmar
Pinball Wizard

Oddometer: 2,918
It seems he would entertain the idea, but he would have to get an idea of what is involved first.

"Would need a programmed Bike brain that would surely be junked. And wiring diagrams for the bikes in question."
dugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:02 PM   #149
crash a-ron
mmm...burnt steel

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
It seems he would entertain the idea, but he would have to get an idea of what is involved first.

"Would need a programmed Bike brain that would surely be junked. And wiring diagrams for the bikes in question."
I've got $100 towards buying the engineer a programmed computer! Anybody else??? Sounds like this could actually happen!

As many folks are gripping about this, at $100 each we should get there pretty fast...It's probably one f*ing line of code anyway.
1995 VMC sidecarcross rig
Seattle, Washington
crash a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:08 PM   #150
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:

Wiring diagram PDF FILE HERE

Your engineer is going to have to call salvage yards and surf ebay. Maybe inmates on this site interested in this issue can help track down a junked bike's computer, etc. You need to start by showing him the GS911 fault code reader and maybe he can do something with it. If you don't have one, I'm sure one of us can lend it to you.

You can be sure, any money you shell out in the process, you will recover it when you will have a captive market. I just came back from my dealer's and he shakes his head when it comes to EWS issues.