0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2008, 09:24 PM   #1576
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,685

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta
actually Siemens AG as there is a Siemens division here in ATL, GA and we have a few German customers employed there. Anytime we have a service computer issue (way too often) we have a run around process to go through to get a replacement unit and no one in the USA we have found has been capable of fully supporting any IT issues with the BMW GT1 which really sucks for us and all dealers.
Oh, you're talking to the wrong people.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:43 AM   #1577
NCcoastDude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
BMW and corporate responce

I had a Yamaha earlier and a very similar situation occurred with the 1100 V-Star several years ago with their starters. First there were the complaints on the forum, time went by and absolutely nothing came from Yamaha, it was impossible to contact corporate headquarters and then on the forum there was the mention of contacting the NTSB, then class action lawsuits. Similar to what is happening here on this forum.
When I gave the data from the forum to the local Yamaha dealer he had not heard of it, or so he said, and treated me like I was crazy to question Yamaha. After about a year, the end result was that Yamaha changed the starter on the NEW model. No bulletins were sent to the dealers.

I have also had a similar experience with automobiles (all new).

So BMW is no different from the other motorcycle dealers in this respect.

don

NCcoastDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:59 AM   #1578
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
in conjunction with the diagnostic wire harness extension to get you home if you feel the need.
When you get back Bobby would you be so kind as to publish the part no. for the diagnostic harness. I've zip-tied the #####247 spare and tested it hanging from one of the cables, but wonder if this harness that you are talking about does something differently? For example, rather than it looking like cobbed up install for the rest a long trip you caould at least bury the mess in your tankbag????

For those that have not done the install, some words of wisdom (can't remember if I published this or not), disengaging the harness (male) from the female receptacle a bit tricky in that there's a locking tab to prevent accidental disengagement. Being confined quarters, and everything BLACK, makes it a tad difficult pulling apart. A good flashiight (held in your teeth or a headband flashlight) helps a lot AND some thin, sharp instrument (e.g. pen knife blade) to lift the tab.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:11 AM   #1579
ylexot
Super Genius

Oddometer: 780
This "diagnostic harness" sounds an awful lot like my "jumper cable" idea...
ylexot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:15 AM   #1580
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
When you get back Bobby would you be so kind as to publish the part no. for the diagnostic harness. I've zip-tied the #####247 spare and tested it hanging from one of the cables, but wonder if this harness that you are talking about does something differently? For example, rather than it looking like cobbed up install for the rest a long trip you caould at least bury the mess in your tankbag????
I think I heard of one person that after a EWS failure, used this harness to put the spare ring and spare key under his seat while allowing him to start the bike. Not a permanent fix, but beats having stuff dangling around the handlebars. I think the harness costs about $130.
motoreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:23 AM   #1581
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreiter
I think I heard of one person that after a EWS failure, used this harness to put the spare ring and spare key under his seat while allowing him to start the bike. Not a permanent fix, but beats having stuff dangling around the handlebars. I think the harness costs about $130.
That's what I figured...$82 here, $130 there, good thing keeping it runnin' not 'spensive? Yeah, it looks a bit unsightly and likely not the best spot to have it dangling amidst handlebars and other cables. So, let's add ANOTHER part to the emergency kit!
Old 05-09-2008, 07:21 AM   #1582
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,316
Quote:
There has been a superseded part number, what more do you want?
Sorry, you're a nice guy Bobby, but that pisses me off. Perhaps you should go sell some more XCH filters.

I do not want a superseeded P/N that is just as likely to go bad. I do not want to be in the same boat as I was when this thing started. My dealer is 200 miles away & I'm a busy man. My EWS failure was Sunday, my first opportunity to get my bike to the dealer is June 20th. I'm lucky I have other bikes to ride, what if this was my only transportation? For many their bike is not just a toy. The bike is useless sculpture right now. Everywhere I would ride I have to factor in carrying an $80 part & enough time to do a fix.

Sorry, this whole thing stinks. Looks like time for a mass sell off.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:25 AM   #1583
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
Why not use a spare to ride the bike till you can get the antenna replaced? It's at most a 5 minute job to remove the two Torx 10 screws covering the EWS harness, unplug it and plug the spare and attach the spare with a zip tie. Insert a spare key into it every time you want to start the bike.. very simple temporary fix.

Still looking for a permanent bypass fix..
Old 05-09-2008, 07:30 AM   #1584
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Why not use a spare to ride the bike till you can get the antenna replaced?
Unless my understanding of this is all wrong, it's entirely possible that the replacement antenna rings that many people bought are NOT The Solution to The Problem.

That means that ... while there's a very good chance that whatever you bought WILL get you going if the EWS hits, there's at least SOME chance that it won't.

In theory, the odds are worse if you bought an earlier (now superceded) part number ring.

This, I think, is a large part of the PR problem: many people made peace with the notion that a US$100-ish part was the insurance they needed ... until ... they learned that their policy might not work

When you hear stories like J(palamar)ohn's ... you realize that we're really still nowhere on this.
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:33 AM   #1585
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBeener
Unless my understanding of this is all wrong, it's entirely possible that the replacement antenna rings that many people bought are NOT The Solution to The Problem.

That means that ... while there's a very good chance that whatever you bought WILL get you going if the EWS hits, there's at least SOME chance that it won't.

In theory, the odds are worse if you bought an earlier (now superceded) part number ring.

This, I think, is a large part of the PR problem: many people made peace with the notion that a US$100-ish part was the insurance they needed ... until ... they learned that their policy might not work

When you hear stories like J(palamar)ohn's ... you realize that we're really still nowhere on this.
Perhaps Bobby or Dave Townsend can answer this: Will the dealer swap out the old(er) part for the latest part, forget about the differential in price. Seems I remember the part that I purchased last year was around $130 and the new part is $82???? But then again, if the old part tests ok does it really matter? UNLESS, the 247 part has finally fixed the problem???

And that is why the question was asked earlier, has anyone had a part failure with the 247 part?
Old 05-09-2008, 07:37 AM   #1586
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
And that is why the question was asked earlier, has anyone had a part failure with the 247 part?
I think it's likely to take a pretty good while (sample size issues) before we have any sort of reasonable sense about the new part.

Just thinking about sales (hypothetically, 10k bikes/yr) * hypothetical EWS failure rate (2%) = 200 replacement rings/yr.

Only a % of /those/ were 247's, right? See where I'm headed? The numbers start getting really small, and ... while a single 247 failure /might/ be informative ... NO failures ... also might not.

My thought on the spare ring thing is that -- while some have advocated testing it -- I view it like an emergency flare: if you test it ... you might have just used up your one Get Out of Jail Free card without knowing it.

Might.

Catch-22.
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:42 AM   #1587
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Why not use a spare to ride the bike till you can get the antenna replaced? It's at most a 5 minute job to remove the two Torx 10 screws covering the EWS harness, unplug it and plug the spare and attach the spare with a zip tie. Insert a spare key into it every time you want to start the bike.. very simple temporary fix.

Still looking for a permanent bypass fix..
The only fly in the ointment on this piece of logic is, uhhh, I now don't have a spare anymore and I'm back to square one (1) should I have another failure. (do we keep spares for the spare). No, Rick, not trying to incite and I'm a supporter of BMW and believe all are attempting a fix, but I can honestly say that when I'm on my trip in June should my antenna ring fail and I go to the spare, my next stop (I will call first) will be at a BMW dealer and buy another one.

Again, not to add fuel to this thread, I have a broken down 2008 RT with 700 miles at dealer for over a week, with: antenna ring failure, N/neutral light failure, fuel gauge fault/failure, and bad rear ESA shock. The shock supposedly is a new model and there are none in the States. I'm told the dealer has requested one being pulled off ass'y line for late May delivery. Sure I have other bikes, but not having spare parts inventory in the States is a greater sin than the failures IMO. Consider breaking down in BFE awaiting a part from Germany?
Old 05-09-2008, 08:49 AM   #1588
dwf
2007 R1200GS Adventure

Oddometer: 741
Good News! Help is on the way!

Over the past week or so I thought I would email BMW and ask them if they were aware of the EWS issue and concern their customers have with the problem. I included a link to this discussion. After not getting a response the first time I asked the question I thought I would continue to follow up as it was probably just an oversight that I had not heard from them to date. Well, yesterday I finally got this response:

"We appreciate that you took the time to provide us with this feedback. Your comments are important in helping us evaluate the needs and expectations of our valued BMW customers. Please be assured your comments will be forwarded to the appropriate department for review.
If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117. Our office hours are Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time.
Regards,
Jay Williams
BMW Motorrad USA"

Now that this has become a priority and the issue "forwared to the appropriate department" all we need to do is wait to hear from Jay on the solution.
dwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:52 AM   #1589
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwf
Now that this has become a priority and the issue "forwared to the appropriate department" all we need to do is wait to hear from Jay on the solution.
You're da man! I will be resting easily for the first time in over a year now that Jay will be forthcoming with a solution! Thanks so much DWF!
Old 05-09-2008, 08:57 AM   #1590
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwf
You da man!!!!

"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote