0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2008, 08:59 AM   #1591
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Jay was already on the case ... and ... surprisingly little has come of it

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=76

Did I notice, however, that this little gem was omitted from the reply that dwf got??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWNA
BMW is attuned and responsive to the sentiments of our customer.
Realizing it's half the battle
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:11 AM   #1592
dwf
2007 R1200GS Adventure

Oddometer: 741

Did I notice, however, that this little gem was omitted from the reply that dwf got??

Quote:

I think this policy has changed. They droped "BMW is attuned......." with 2008 models going forward------and there will be no grandfathering clause for prior models.
dwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:45 AM   #1593
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Wink Ah Faith Is A Great Thing...But It Doesn't Fix The Problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwf

Quote:

I think this policy has changed. They droped "BMW is attuned......." with 2008 models going forward------and there will be no grandfathering clause for prior models.
Again...no knocks on any individual on this forum or thread...just my take on this problem.

I still am amazed that folks have faith that BMW is furiously working to solve this problem or even that they have the expertise to do it..what do you base that on?

LOOK...call that "800" number...I did several times on my POS Aluminum BMW boxes...they are bascially an answering service for BMWNA...not really a service point but a "bitch and moan" service, they listen, pat you on the head and give the stock: "Contact your local BMW dealer"....after three calls I finally got the kid on the other end to tell me that all they may [not all calls are documented] do is send a report to BMWNA...I asked him if I could realistically expect a contact or follow up from BMWNA...his response was: "Honestly, no".

So Jay is our salvation? This information about the EWS problem is new and a surprise to them? Right.

Must say after listening to Bobby I do have a more informed perspective of how the dealers are truely caught in the middle...having said that I need to add that perhaps our focus should be shifted to the dealer and not BMW the corporation for answers.

If in fact the dealer is the only representative that we the owners have any access to and if the dealers are responsible for the products they sell, then the dealers are ones we should be pressing for a solution and not let them pass the buck to BMW...the owners should not accept that dealers have not contacted BMW for answers because it might bother BMW or that there is not a compelling reason to do so.

Bobby hints at direct communications with BMW concerning the nature of the EWS problem and what they, BMW, are doing to resolve it...same old question: Why are the owners not privy to this information?

Perhaps I am the anomaly, but my work ethic would never have allowed me to remain mute when persons depending on me had a problem that I could help with. I guess times they be a changing.
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:54 AM   #1594
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Phil,

I'm pretty sure that any expressions of faith in BMW USA -- particularly in the last few posts -- were entirely sarcastic.

I know mine was.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:02 AM   #1595
dwf
2007 R1200GS Adventure

Phil,

I can assure you it is with tongue placed firmly in cheek that I make comments of any reliance on "Jay" to resolve this issue.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:43 AM   #1596
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Tongue-in-Cheek

Put mine as tongue-in-cheek! But, when I made the comment that the dealer's response to the issue was somewhat blase, perhaps a poor choice of words; accepting/acknowledging it's a problem more accurate, but no sense of urgency or implied responsibility other than the prescribed course of action specified by BMW i.e. replace with the latest part.

Follow the escalation process of many major industries, and figure BMW is a 'major industry'. We see this in our industry (IT) to a very great extent. Seems the next step is to escalate to the regional representative, and if I use the IT industry without naming very BIG names in IT, the industry rep's availablity and INTEREST is questionable, and or the industry rep. forwards the issue to some other level/entity. We deal with varying levels of support e.g. Level I, level II, but assuredly we rarely (if ever) talk with anyone writing code, having designed the 'box'(engineering) or anyone who can summarily implement a fix, patch, change, etc. etc. Taking this logic to the extreme, and I go back to the point that the total numbers of antenna rings being ordered have not triggered an appropriate response or engineering change (but must have, right?...new part nos.).

So, can we conclude, NOGAS? No one gives . . . ??? But, I'm all over the table with this, if the dealers had a single voice demanding a workaround patch/fix for this problem can we venture to say that BMW would listen??? Don't know, only the dealers can answer that but my limited experience with the dealers' perception of HQ, is, 'They're German!' That seems to say it all!
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:08 AM   #1597
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Hot Off the Press: 05-09-2008 1800GMT/Z

I got tired of just being a mushroom so decided on calling BMWNA/Woodcliff Lake, NJ

Toll-free: 800-831-1117

As a courtesy to customer service I opted for customer service:

I asked some poignant questions as to whether or not he was a BMW employee, hired gun, etc. Definitely an employee. I asked, without much preamble if he was aware of the antenna ring/EWS issues. He asseted yes, and gave me the #####247 part that BMW concludes has 'corrected the problem'. I tortured him with the previous part nos. that allegedly fixed the problem and he without hesitancy claimed this 247 part FIXES THE PROBLEM. And, that across the board, since the intro of this part in March, there have been no/zero/nada failures with the new part. Not exactly something to go to the bank on, but then again he was knowledgeable, forthcoming, and didn't waffle. We shall see!
Old 05-09-2008, 11:11 AM   #1598
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Thank you, John. That IS interesting information.

That said, if we had access to the records from that customer service line, I'll wager we'd find the same speech given subsequent to the release of each of the previous antenna ring part #'s.

That IS what "Marek Balwes" (or ??) told ME, too, and -- based on sample size issues raised previously -- I simply don't buy it.

We're led to believe that ring is a dumb, passive coil of wire, right? How /wrong/ could it have been? How many QC defects could have slipped past that a 2nd and 3rd ring were required?

Hmmm.

I remain ... as before ... skeptical ;-)
Old 05-09-2008, 11:13 AM   #1599
dwf
2007 R1200GS Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
I got tired of just being a mushroom so decided on calling BMWNA/Woodcliff Lake, NJ

Toll-free: 800-831-1117

As a courtesy to customer service I opted for customer service:

I asked some poignant questions as to whether or not he was a BMW employee, hired gun, etc. Definitely an employee. I asked, without much preamble if he was aware of the antenna ring/EWS issues. He asseted yes, and gave me the #####247 part that BMW concludes has 'corrected the problem'. I tortured him with the previous part nos. that allegedly fixed the problem and he without hesitancy claimed this 247 part FIXES THE PROBLEM. And, that across the board, since the intro of this part in March, there have been no/zero/nada failures with the new part. Not exactly something to go to the bank on, but then again he was knowledgeable, forthcoming, and didn't waffle. We shall see!
Well--give them credit--this is the first smattering of evidence they have some attempted connection to their customers. Not perfect but it is something.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:16 AM   #1600
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBeener
Thank you, John. That IS interesting information.

That said, if we had access to the records from that customer service line, I'll wager we'd find the same speech given subsequent to the release of each of the previous antenna ring part #'s.

That IS what "Marek Balwes" (or ??) told ME, too, and -- based on sample size issues raised previously -- I simply don't buy it.

We're led to believe that ring is a dumb, passive coil of wire, right? How /wrong/ could it have been? How many QC defects could have slipped past that a 2nd and 3rd ring were required?

Hmmm.

I remain ... as before ... skeptical ;-)
I'm not riding without a spare either, but as interestingly was his comments about dealers: implied was that I should be talking to my dealer, but I insisted it was not a dealer problem, and I'm interpreting his comments: I did not get the feeling that there was any dealer pressure on this item? Just an impression, more along the lines of what he did not say as opposed to what he said. I'd have been more impressed, and he seemed very candid, if he said "Yeah, we know, the dealers are breaking our balls on this one!"
Old 05-09-2008, 11:24 AM   #1601
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

My Next Call To BMW Will Be To Pieter de Waal

From a press release issued by BMW:

Woodcliff Lake, NJ - BMW Group announced today, that Pieter de Waal will be taking over the role of Vice President, BMW Motorrad USA as of April 1st. He replaces Arturo Pineiro, who took the position of President of BMW, Central and South America.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:42 AM   #1602
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

... and this little tidbit is encouraging:

Quote:
Pieter de Waal is a qualified engineer with more than 20 years of experience. He holds a diploma in Civil Engineering from the University of Stellenbosch, South Africa.
That might make him better equipped to address frame geometry than anti-theft black boxes, but ... it's a start
Old 05-09-2008, 11:44 AM   #1603
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
You Go John!

Quote:
From a press release issued by BMW:

Woodcliff Lake, NJ - BMW Group announced today, that Pieter de Waal will be taking over the role of Vice President, BMW Motorrad USA as of April 1st. He replaces Arturo Pineiro, who took the position of President of BMW, Central and South America.
First I really hope you can (A) Find a number for him and (B) Get to talk to him...will not even mention (C). I DO appreciate your tenacity.

The "Service" line folks are employees, they are a contractor with BMWNA when I last called...and sure they are going to say "247" is THE fix....hope, damn that is an act of faith isn't it, it is...cuz since I ride mostly alone and about 80% off road I too will be buying the latest antenna soon for at least a shot of not getting stuck in BFE...having even a slim a chance of firing the beast with another antenna is worth the hassle and cost.

Never heard info about harnass for antenna you asked about, let us know.
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:20 PM   #1604
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBeener
... and this little tidbit is encouraging:

That might make him better equipped to address frame geometry than anti-theft black boxes, but ... it's a start
Did I get the 247?? I can't remember.

Edit: Nope, the 136. I wonder if Sean will swap it out for me . . .
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112

YetiGS screwed with this post 05-09-2008 at 12:26 PM
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:52 PM   #1605
dwf
2007 R1200GS Adventure

Quote:
I'm not riding without a spare either, but as interestingly was his comments about dealers: implied was that I should be talking to my dealer, but I insisted it was not a dealer problem, and I'm interpreting his comments: I did not get the feeling that there was any dealer pressure on this item? Just an impression, more along the lines of what he did not say as opposed to what he said. I'd have been more impressed, and he seemed very candid, if he said "Yeah, we know, the dealers are breaking our balls on this one!"
Why should the dealers care? They can blame the problem on BMW and BMW pays them well to install new units.