ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2008, 12:57 PM   #1606
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown
 
YetiGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 7,322
Fwiw, because of this thread I bought a spare ring about a month ago, the 136. Based on John's phone call, etc. I called my dealership. Sean (who posts on here) called BMW, confirmed what John posted earlier and then told me to bring mine in and he'd swap out the rings for me. Awesome.


So now here's the question: Do I jsut leave the ring that's on the bike there and hope I never need the 247? Or should I put the 247 on and use the old ring as a spare?


Or do I just go steal NBeener's while he's posting since his bike is outside the danger mileage??


__________________
-Scott-
Semper Fi
'04 BMW R1150GSA, '04 KTM 625 SXC
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:05 PM   #1607
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
Or do I just go steal NBeener's while he's posting since his bike is outside the danger mileage??
Might be time to get that attack pug after all....
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:57 PM   #1608
DaveT
Irv Seaver Parts
 
DaveT's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Orange, Ca
Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
Perhaps ...DaveT ...can answer this: Will the dealer swap out the old(er) part i purchased for the latest part, at whatever price differential applies? Seems I remember the part that I purchased last year was around $130 and the new part is $82????
Our policy for all BMW returns is summarized here:

Do you wish to return to me a new unused BMW part, that has never been installed, even for a moment?

Do you still have the original package the part came in?

Do the part and package still look new?

Did I sell it to you?

If yes yes yes and yes, we proceed with your full refund. We later return the item to BMW at will.
__________________
Dave Townsend
Parts Mgr, Irv Seaver BMW Motorcycles
Orange CA USA
DaveTownsend@IrvSeaverBMW.com
2005 R1200GS
2007 G650X-Challenge
DaveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:18 PM   #1609
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer
 
SocalRob's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Los Angeles @ base of Angeles Crest Hwy
Oddometer: 13,105
Very cool Dave. I guess when I buy my spare I will keep it in a nice baggy with the receipt so that I can always get the updated one.




Not that there ever, ever, ever will be an update on the 247 number
__________________
Rob

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:47 AM   #1610
GSMaiden
Me and my Big Bike
 
GSMaiden's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Venice of the North
Oddometer: 22
The sad GS icon..



It's at the dealers. Waiting for a verdict of ring antenna or broken cable or ??

Are my chances of this happening again bigger or smaller after the first one?

It does seem to happen to a lot of unsuspecting GSes..




__________________
Miriam
GSMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 04:06 AM   #1611
mike wright
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mike wright's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Oddometer: 277
Not again! how many more of these are going to happen before theres a recall and the problem fixed permantly.... Shocking for BMW
__________________
Living on the moors in the United Kingdom
mike wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 04:56 AM   #1612
GB
Mod Squad
 
GB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Oddometer: 55,589
Merged into the threadfest.

Always carry a spare, and a Torx 10 driver.
__________________
ADV decals, patches & flag? Here
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:53 AM   #1613
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown
 
YetiGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob
Very cool Dave. I guess when I buy my spare I will keep it in a nice baggy with the receipt so that I can always get the updated one.




Not that there ever, ever, ever will be an update on the 247 number
I exchanged my 136 for the 247 yesterday.
__________________
-Scott-
Semper Fi
'04 BMW R1150GSA, '04 KTM 625 SXC
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:37 AM   #1614
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny
 
marty hill's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: marietta, ga.
Oddometer: 4,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMaiden


It's at the dealers. Waiting for a verdict of ring antenna or broken cable or ??

Are my chances of this happening again bigger or smaller after the first one?

It does seem to happen to a lot of unsuspecting GSes..




Hi M,

Didn't know you posted an adv. Sorry about the failure. Hope the moto is fixed soon.
__________________
ride till you can't.
1200GS/black
Boxer Cup Replika/red-white-blue

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:23 AM   #1615
tagesk
Tuscan rider
 
tagesk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Tuscany, Italy
Oddometer: 3,199
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
I tortured him with the previous part nos. that allegedly fixed the problem and he without hesitancy claimed this 247 part FIXES THE PROBLEM. And, that across the board, since the intro of this part in March, there have been no/zero/nada failures with the new part. Not exactly something to go to the bank on, but then again he was knowledgeable, forthcoming, and didn't waffle. We shall see!
What, then, will happen to this 100 page thread?
I mean, today I met this guy on a 15 years old FJ1100, a bike with a not-entierly up-to-date look I would say. He said he wanted to buy a new bike, a new BMW in fact. But he had heard that the 1200GS were marred with electrical problems related to the starter becuase they would not start.

I told him to stick with the FJ1100 - better not bother with that unreliable, new crap! Also, since he didn't see the need of a GPS as he had maps, I told him the new bikes are just plastic. He agreed, and we are heading off for a substantial dinner.

If I can't resist I'll mention this 1.500 message thread discussing nothing but one single of all the problems related to the new 12GS.

But he was not without new technology: He had invested in GoreTex. Ever heard about it?



[TaSK]
__________________
'02 R1150GS - Adds life
My Riding in Tuscany-thread is here.
Renting out motorbikes in Toscana, Italy
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 01:28 PM   #1616
ridesumor
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Eastern TN / Knoxville
Oddometer: 59
Bluhduh ......yet one more....

yep ! About a two weeks ago, my 05 GS ~ 6000mi, flashed briefly.... ew????.. then went away. No problem that day ? Two days later, EWS "ELECTRONIC WHITE SILENCE" occupied the majority of the display. "Several" re-attempts and verified kill switch was ON (never use), side stand, gear selection, clutch interlock ????? NOTHING ! Had BMW Roadside tow to nearby dealer (I'm currently living / working remote from my real home). Came to the FOURM and REALLY read (for the first time) about EWS . Dealer has now replaced the "ring" to no avail, ordered an ECU, got the wrong one, and now another ECU due on TUES. Was told the new ring installed was the latest / greatest. Almost two weeks have elasped. Glad I wasn't really stuck somewhere, but sure brings doubt about he K-GT I'm contemplating purchasing. Been riding BMW's for 8 years now, had quiet a few........so many great bikes, so little time...........TIC-TOC ??..........
ridesumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 01:34 PM   #1617
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer
 
jpalamar's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL (Northeast FL, USA)
Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk
But he was not without new technology: He had invested in GoreTex. Ever heard about it?



[TaSK]
GoreTex, some radical synthetic fiber...will never make it in the marketplace!
__________________
2007 R1200GS Adv DMC Hack
2014 R1200WCGS
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 01:50 PM   #1618
tagesk
Tuscan rider
 
tagesk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Tuscany, Italy
Oddometer: 3,199
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
GoreTex, some radical synthetic fiber...will never make it in the marketplace!
...and what's wrong with a clutch wire? The consept of "carry a spare" is coming back in fashion

[TaSK]
__________________
'02 R1150GS - Adds life
My Riding in Tuscany-thread is here.
Renting out motorbikes in Toscana, Italy
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:04 PM   #1619
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: NE Oregon
Oddometer: 5,208
Eh? Oh,Oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridesumor
yep ! About a two weeks ago, my 05 GS ~ 6000mi, flashed briefly.... ew????.. then went away. No problem that day ? Two days later, EWS "ELECTRONIC WHITE SILENCE" occupied the majority of the display. "Several" re-attempts and verified kill switch was ON (never use), side stand, gear selection, clutch interlock ????? NOTHING ! Had BMW Roadside tow to nearby dealer (I'm currently living / working remote from my real home). Came to the FOURM and REALLY read (for the first time) about EWS . Dealer has now replaced the "ring" to no avail, ordered an ECU, got the wrong one, and now another ECU due on TUES. Was told the new ring installed was the latest / greatest. Almost two weeks have elasped. Glad I wasn't really stuck somewhere, but sure brings doubt about he K-GT I'm contemplating purchasing. Been riding BMW's for 8 years now, had quiet a few........so many great bikes, so little time...........TIC-TOC ??..........
OK...pundits of "it is the antenna" [which seems reasonable] what say ye about this?

Oh yes, what is the magic mileage guess beyond which the "EWS" will not be seen?
__________________
"In Wallowas"
====================
2007 R1200GS Adventure " ...to explore off-road, alone in my case, way out in the boonies...that feeds the soul!"
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:52 PM   #1620
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown
 
YetiGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
OK...pundits of "it is the antenna" [which seems reasonable] what say ye about this?

Oh yes, what is the magic mileage guess beyond which the "EWS" will not be seen?
Yeah, I read that and it doesn't sound like a ring failure. Sounds to me like it's the ECU which is why they're replacing it.
__________________
-Scott-
Semper Fi
'04 BMW R1150GSA, '04 KTM 625 SXC
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014