View Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2008, 01:48 PM   #1621
buduski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
So.......

So, does it appear that the latest part number has solved the problem????? If so, should we replace our ring with the latest rendition? 247?
buduski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:06 PM   #1622
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by buduski
So, does it appear that the latest part number has solved the problem????? If so, should we replace our ring with the latest rendition? 247?

My take would be this:

It appears that it DID solve the problem ... just as the previous ring ALSO appeared to have solved the problem ... until it became apparent that it hadn't

It's genuinely got to be looked at as ... too soon to tell.
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:55 PM   #1623
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
It would seem to me to be counterproductive to replace without a failure. Why not just buy the spare and hope that yours never fails. While I believe that BMW sincerely believes it is corrected, I'm still keeping a spare!
Old 05-12-2008, 02:56 PM   #1624
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBeener
My take would be this:

It appears that it DID solve the problem ... just as the previous ring ALSO appeared to have solved the problem ... until it became apparent that it hadn't

It's genuinely got to be looked at as ... too soon to tell.
+!
Old 05-12-2008, 03:05 PM   #1625
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
It would seem to me to be counterproductive to replace without a failure. Why not just buy the spare and hope that yours never fails. While I believe that BMW sincerely believes it is corrected, I'm still keeping a spare!
That's exactly what I'm doing. And if mine goes, it'll be fixed under warranty and I'll save my spare just in case I really need it some day.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:46 PM   #1626
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
That's exactly what I'm doing. And if mine goes, it'll be fixed under warranty and I'll save my spare just in case I really need it some day.
Unless there's a new, never to fail part (248?) and now you are left with the shoulda-never-failed 247 as a spare.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:10 PM   #1627
buduski
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh Being optimistic!

I was wondering whether to just get a new 247 as a spare, or install a new #247 and keep the one currently in there as a spare. I know the one I have works (for now), so if I put the new 247 in and it never fails, I won't have a problem, but if it does fail I'll have a back-up that I know was working. I'll also have the experience of replacing the part, so I'll be better prepared on the side of the road somewhere. I wonder how many rings fail within the first 100 hours or so of use? I have about 10,000 miles of major rides planned for this season, so I'm trying to be "proactive" (that is the cool term for this, right?). My time is getting short before my first longer ride of the season- about 1000 miles to Americade in June, so I was hoping to wait until the newest "fix" actually appeared to be a "fix". Make sense? Anyway, bottom line is I'd really rather not buy the new part just to hear about them failing. It seems the 247 rendition has been out for a while now, so I was being my optimistic self and hoping that because I haven't heard of a 247 failing, maybe the problem is solved.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:55 PM   #1628
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,625
Quote:
. . . so I was being my optimistic self and hoping that because I haven't heard of a 247 failing, maybe the problem is solved.
I think your plan literally guarantees that the 247 ring will be superceded

I guess I will wait to buy my spare until 30 days after you buy yours.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:20 PM   #1629
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I was wondering whether to just get a new 247 as a spare, or install a new #247 and keep the one currently in there as a spare. I know the one I have works (for now), so if I put the new 247 in and it never fails, I won't have a problem, but if it does fail I'll have a back-up that I know was working. I'll also have the experience of replacing the part, so I'll be better prepared on the side of the road somewhere. I wonder how many rings fail within the first 100 hours or so of use? I have about 10,000 miles of major rides planned for this season, so I'm trying to be "proactive" (that is the cool term for this, right?). My time is getting short before my first longer ride of the season- about 1000 miles to Americade in June, so I was hoping to wait until the newest "fix" actually appeared to be a "fix". Make sense? Anyway, bottom line is I'd really rather not buy the new part just to hear about them failing. It seems the 247 rendition has been out for a while now, so I was being my optimistic self and hoping that because I haven't heard of a 247 failing, maybe the problem is solved.
This may help you make up your mind. Getting the old/existing one out a bitch. I watched the tech do it! Getting those security bolts a major PITA so why not just buy the spare, practice getting the #10 Torx out and pulling the harness, and be done with it. Seems, IMO, you are over analyzing the thing. Also, you will never have a breakdown as long as you have a GOOD spare!
Old 05-12-2008, 06:24 PM   #1630
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,283
And...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
This may help you make up your mind. Getting the old/existing one out a bitch. I watched the tech do it! Getting those security bolts a major PITA so why not just buy the spare, practice getting the #10 Torx out and pulling the harness, and be done with it. Seems, IMO, you are over analyzing the thing. Also, you will never have a breakdown as long as you have a GOOD spare!
Like John sez it is tough to drill out "security screws"...

AND on the road if your original [current] antenna fails you don't have to remove the old antenna only unplug [as John states above] and plug in the antenna to end all antenna #247.
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:10 PM   #1631
buduski
Gnarly Adventurer

You guys make a lot of sense.....I find this to be a terrifying experience!

Seriously, thanks, I was getting a bit anal. Your advice will be heeded.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:03 AM   #1632
bmwhd
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMaiden

It's at the dealers. Waiting for a verdict of ring antenna or broken cable or ??

Are my chances of this happening again bigger or smaller after the first one?

It does seem to happen to a lot of unsuspecting GSes..

How sad these photos are...

At our local BMW club breakfast last Saturday I was amused as several members went on at length about who has the best towing service in the US.

Wow have times changed...

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:16 AM   #1633
tpresten
RideUmAll

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
You guys make a lot of sense.....I find this to be a terrifying experience!

Seriously, thanks, I was getting a bit anal. Your advice will be heeded.
Your not getting anal, your just becoming a modern day BMW owner.
tpresten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:22 AM   #1634
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz

Oddometer: 1,092
If the magical 247 part has really solved the problem, then why was it simply issued as a superseded part, allowing dealers to continue to deplete their inventory of older part numbers, as opposed to an inventory swap-out program with the new 247's?

2008 R1200GS (Slate Gray Metallic Matt)
2003 R1150GS (Night Black)
PRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:03 AM   #1635
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,283
More To The Point..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRW
If the magical 247 part has really solved the problem, then why was it simply issued as a superseded part, allowing dealers to continue to deplete their inventory of older part numbers, as opposed to an inventory swap-out program with the new 247's?
Has anyone with a "#247" been stranded with the "EWS"? [Of course not doubting that it is 'the solution'! And why is it less expensive?]
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote