View Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2008, 04:18 AM   #1651
buduski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
2 cents worth....

I claim ignorance in this topic, but it would seem to me that the default value would be "no-go" or the famed "EWS" warning. Activation merely steps the system into a "run-capable" mode. If you deactivate the system you would fall back to default "no-go". I don't think this is what we're looking for.
buduski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:56 PM   #1652
BMW Kurt
Taker of Pictures

Oddometer: 10,482
Just returned from my dealer and I told him that I was riding to Alaska in three weeks. First thing out of his mouth was "Do you have a spare ring antenna?" I told him yes and he said good because they have had a rash of failures lately. BMW knows this is a problem that is not going away!
My Travel Blog
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:10 PM   #1653
JRMSR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside
Forget the pundits. Read what the BMW factory has to say.
Maybe the dealer is unaware of the EWS system capabilities. Maybe they are also unaware of the EWS manual override built into the GT1 software.

Everyone is un aware of a manual override. How could you mention it without stating what it is????
JRMSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:19 PM   #1654
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,864

It is a well designed cash cow accessory sale. With plenty of willing buyers who see making a purchase as easier than confronting the source.

Plus there's some cost-benefit risk involved, which adds to the badass adventure experience. Roadside repair fireside stories and all that.

An expert stroke is to lower the retail price of the accessory into the sweet spot of the price vs. sales curve. You are just numbers in an equation.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:23 PM   #1655
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,273
Fact or Rumor?

This was on "Brake Line Recall" thread [sweet huh?]:

Originally Posted by LKYPHL
When booking my '06 in last week for the brakeline recall here in Oz, the reception bloke said "Good timing, we've just received a new recall notice for the ignition ring antenna", which they replaced as well.
There you go #2 !

OK, USA BMW Dealers is this true? Fact or Rumor?
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:10 AM   #1656
sspect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
EWS and me.....

This past week in WV:

3 2007 R1200GS motorcycles from MA on a one week trip to ride WV, VA and more based at Snowshoe, WV

2 EWS Failures ( 2 different bikes 2 days apart )

I have a spare which we use on the first bike....the dealer we go to has none in stock for warranty, but comes through with overnight replacement in case we need another....great service at Hammersley in VA.

Second bike...BMW Roadside Assistance....Sorry you are on your own...we don't have anyone in that area under contract. 9 Hours on the side of the road while my buddies ride to get another from the overnight at Hammersley....can't say enough good things about them. Also I met some very helpful people in Richwood,WV. Thank you Four Season's Outfitters.

Yes, I immediately called BMW on North America....I had 9 hours... they were polite and agreed that was unacceptable...I have not heard anything back...THEY PROMISED....the letters will be sent this week!!!

The day got better as I pushed the bike (cooled down by now ) to the gas station next door...in case I got it started... which happened to have a faulty pump nozzle...no notice...which sent a plume of fuel over the bike...they made me pay for the extra gas on the ground and clean up. All the locals knew about it!! We road home through the mountains around 9:30 PM at which I had a close encounter with a large deer....very close...she will be easy to recognize...it says Conti Trail Attack on her left side. I have never been face to face with a live deer before....they have very pretty eyes...I wonder what she thought??. No real harm done...I really love ABS. The hot tub and the bar made everything better at the Inn at Snowshoe.

Back to Hammersley for the third time...6+ hour round trip plus service time.... in three days...for warranty replacement.....nice twisty roads on the way to Lynchburg.

Another motorcycling adventure....all in all it was still a great time.
sspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:12 AM   #1657
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,806
You only needed 1 replacement antenna between the 3 of you.. start the bike, and then plug it into the next one start it and so on. It doesn't need to be there once the bike is started.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:19 AM   #1658
Fr8dog
-

Oddometer: 24
Just returned from a 4 day 1800 mile trip. Had #247 installed after EWS failure...in April. 40+ starts! Maybe the magic bullit...? (all without a safety net!)
Fr8dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:25 AM   #1659
sspect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Thumb I knew that...

When the dealer didn't have any in stock and a long way to get there....I gave my spare up to my riding buddy for a warranty replacement. Knowing that we would have another one at the hotel in the AM two days later....overnight from Lynchburg....we were not worried. Who knew another EWS would fail??? The odds seemed to be in our favor. We all carry them now....especially since the price has been cut in half.

I am more annoyed with BMW Roadside Assistance!!!
sspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:52 AM   #1660
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,864

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspect
We all carry them now....especially since the price has been cut in half.

I am more annoyed with BMW Roadside Assistance!!!
BMW sends along their thanks, and butters their bread with your annoyance.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:20 AM   #1661
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Hello Out There..

Hey any BMW dealers still on this thread? How about the reported BMW antenna recall in Australia? Fact or fiction?
Old 05-18-2008, 03:23 PM   #1662
DaveT
Irv Seaver Parts

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
Hey any BMW dealers still on this thread? How about the reported BMW antenna recall in Australia? Fact or fiction?
I take it to be impossible to prove the non-existence of a thing.

That said, there is at this time no recall in the USA on the ring antenna. I have no special access to recall information for non-US markets including Australia.

I believe that failure of a vehicle to start does not and should not fall under the safety umbrella of the recall system in place in the USA. I do not expect to see any recalls launched by any vehicle manufacturer for such a failure. I could (obviously) be wrong.
DaveTownsend@IrvSeaverBMW.com
2005 R1200GS
2007 G650X-Challenge
DaveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 04:55 PM   #1663
Whiskey Tango
Formerly "GSG2G"

Oddometer: 532
I agree with Dave. Failure to start is not a safety issue, (unless you are in a bad neighborhood or someplace you shouldn't be with someone you shouldn't be with!) but this is one of those things that BMW knows is bad but, like teeth, will ignore and it will go away. They will likely someday, very quietly, change the harness, change the compnents or otherwise re-engineer das engineering and just plain not tell anybody!
'09 KLR 650 - Black Ops Black R.I.P.
'04 H-D Heritage Softtail - Daytona Special
Drive Medical Design & Manuf. 9-spoke

Many, many formers; some R.I.P.

All Will Die But Not All Will Live

1*
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:23 PM   #1664
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSG2G
I agree with Dave. Failure to start is not a safety issue
I couldn't disagree more. I'd take a bad neighborhood over a 50 mile hike out of the mountains anytime.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:41 PM   #1665
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Ok I Know This Is Tongue-In-Cheek..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSG2G
I agree with Dave. Failure to start is not a safety issue, (unless you are in a bad neighborhood or someplace you shouldn't be with someone you shouldn't be with!) but this is one of those things that BMW knows is bad but, like teeth, will ignore and it will go away. They will likely someday, very quietly, change the harness, change the compnents or otherwise re-engineer das engineering and just plain not tell anybody!
Look the recall first of all should be made by BMW not as a safety issue but to correct a faulty product they sold [and continue to sell to us as new bikes and antenna] to the persons who purchased their bikes that are getting stranding with the EWS. This is not an "it doesn't fall under the purview of the Federal standards" that is a spurious herring.

To philosophize that you can't prove the non-existence of a recall is a silly statement, I guess made to entertain. If BMW issues a recall for antenna, it will not be exclusively based on whether you live in Australia or BFE. The question still is whether or not BMW has a recall initiated on the antenna. But I know the BMW to dealer dedicated phone line is not to be used for such unimportant inquries.

Is the stranding of a rider with a non-functional bike touted for use as an "adventure" bike a safety issue? Of course it can be. When the bike will not start due to a component failure and the rider is stranded their safety can most certainly be in jeopardy. Not everyone only rides on freeways and within reach of 58 cell towers. Of course just like riding in the 'bad neighborhoods' perhaps we GS and GSA riders should not be allowed to travel alone and out of cell range.