View Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #1666
BMRHD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
08 GSA World Tourer Wont Start??

Went to the local Starbucks (yea, I know) to meet some buddies for a ride up the road to an antique motorcycle show. Sat and talked for a few minutes over a quick cup of coffee, got the gear on, put the key in the ignition and nothing.

I had power but the bike acted like i had the kickstand down. Tried the kill switch, fussed with the kickstand, tried starting in neutral and still nothing.

Next i pulled out the manual and read that the computer was indicating that the security switch was reading that i had the wrong key. We then cleverly deduced the key chip must have gone bad. Borrowed a friends RT, rode home and got a new key. Problem solved you ask????? NO, still nothing.

Next we called BMW towing. They had a tow truck to me in 20 minutes and loaded the bike up. Here is the next amazing part. The BMW dealership is closed till Tuesday. The tow truck driver was instructed by BMW Roadside Assistance (not the dealer) that he could not take the bike to my house (2 miles away) and that he would have to take it to their storage shed, unload it, reload it on Tuesday and then unload it again plus charge BMW for 2 days of storage. He was civil but could not believe that they would not allow him to take the bike to my house. Some of you are probably saying that it was the driver trying to get a few days of storage - not true as i witnessed the conversation.

Anyway, has anyone else had the no-start problem with their bike that is made to go anywhere, over the roughest most formidable terrain in the world?
BMRHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:08 PM   #1667
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,179
You sir, need to be introduced to this thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245456

Oops, Looks like the mods are Johny on the spot and merged us into the big one.

OK, Since I'm in this thread anyway, I'll add some data. 0712GS with 30K miles and thousands of startups without a problem. I'd ride her anywhere, and I sure as hell wouldn't replace my old antenna with a supposedly "fixed" new one.

ShaftEd screwed with this post 05-18-2008 at 06:18 PM
ShaftEd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:16 PM   #1668
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRHD
Anyway, has anyone else had the no-start problem with their bike ?
Merged into the threadfest.. carry a spare antenna, a spare key, and a Torx 10 screwdriver. In case of EWS! failure (as displayed on your LCD display), remove the 2 torx 10 screws covering the antenna harness, unplug it from the defective antenna, plug it into the spare, insert the spare key in the spare antenna and start the bike with the other key. You can safely unplug the spare antenna once the bike is running.

Pretty much sucks that there's no bypass in case of an EWS failure.... yet.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:30 PM   #1669
BMRHD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Thanks Mods for putting me onto this.

All i have to say is that this is absolutely amazing and a very sorry state of affairs. This particular bike has 1200 miles on it.

BMW should be ashamed. I need to carry a spare part on a new bike and tools to make the repairs on a $20K bike because they cant get a F@#$in part right?? Yeah, right.

I do appreciate the insite Gadget Boy and am not bashing on you as i know you are only trying to provide some advice which is much appreciated.

BMRHD screwed with this post 05-18-2008 at 11:03 PM
BMRHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:39 PM   #1670
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,242
The way I see it, there's nothing I can do to prevent this from happening to me, so I carry a spare, just as I carry a tire plugging kit.. There needs to be a bypass code that you should be able to enter using the turn signal paddles, that's unique to your bike based on the VIN. At least, if you enter the unique code, you can bypass the EWS antenna and start the bike.

I'm not going to let this immoblizer thing ruin my ownership experience. The GS has been my favorite bike by far.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:03 PM   #1671
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
Look the recall first of all should be made by BMW not as a safety issue but to correct a faulty product they sold [and continue to sell to us as new bikes and antenna] to the persons who purchased their bikes that are getting stranding with the EWS. This is not an "it doesn't fall under the purview of the Federal standards" that is a spurious herring.

To philosophize that you can't prove the non-existence of a recall is a silly statement, I guess made to entertain. If BMW issues a recall for antenna, it will not be exclusively based on whether you live in Australia or BFE. The question still is whether or not BMW has a recall initiated on the antenna. But I know the BMW to dealer dedicated phone line is not to be used for such unimportant inquries.

Is the stranding of a rider with a non-functional bike touted for use as an "adventure" bike a safety issue? Of course it can be. When the bike will not start due to a component failure and the rider is stranded their safety can most certainly be in jeopardy. Not everyone only rides on freeways and within reach of 58 cell towers. Of course just like riding in the 'bad neighborhoods' perhaps we GS and GSA riders should not be allowed to travel alone and out of cell range.
Well put Wallowa,
OF COURSE it is a RECALL-able issue! WTF is wrong with you guys ? Is your "brand loyalty" that blind?
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:04 PM   #1672
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankgs
Well put Wallowa,
OF COURSE it is a RECALL-able issue! WTF is wrong with you guys ? Is your "brand loyalty" that blind?
No, just realistic and not reactionary.

We all have levels of comfort. Obviously they are not the same for everyone. That does not make me wrong, or you wrong, it just makes us different in what we are willing to accept.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:13 PM   #1673
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden

makes us different in what we are willing to accept.

Jim
Well, I must be an off-the-handle-reactionary-type as I feel if you pay $17,000 plus dollars for what is marketed as a "see the world adventure motorcycle" , it should not leave you stranded with only 2,000 miles on the odometer... (BTW, has it happened to YOU???)
After reading that back to myself, I think I am unreasonable as well!
Old 05-18-2008, 09:53 PM   #1674
DaveT
Irv Seaver Parts

Oddometer: 417
From NHTSA's website:

==============================

Automobile Recalls

The US DOT NHTSA is the federal agency authorized to issue vehicle safety standards and to require manufacturers to recall vehicles with safety-related defects (49 USC 301). NHTSA has limited authority; it may not compel recalls for defects that are not safety-related.

If a manufacturer identifies a recallable safety defect, the manufacturer notifies NHTSA, as well as vehicle or equipment owners, dealers, and distributors. A safety defect is one which poses an unreasonable risk to safety and is common to a group of vehicles of the same manufacture or design. The manufacturer must then fix the problem; there should be no charge to vehicle owners. NHTSA assesses the adequacy of the manufacturers' corrective action and makes sure manufacturers comply with all STATUTORY requirements. The NHTSA will seek a recall only in the following cases:

1. A motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment does not comply with a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard.
2. There is a safety-related defect in the vehicle or equipment

=======================================

I'm guessing that further research by willing forum members into US recall law will probably show that the NHTSA has not defined failure-to-start as a safety-related defect.
DaveTownsend@IrvSeaverBMW.com
2005 R1200GS
2007 G650X-Challenge
DaveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:07 AM   #1675
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspect
This past week in WV:

3 2007 R1200GS motorcycles from MA on a one week trip to ride WV, VA and more based at Snowshoe, WV

2 EWS Failures ( 2 different bikes 2 days apart )

I have a spare which we use on the first bike....the dealer we go to has none in stock for warranty, but comes through with overnight replacement in case we need another....great service at Hammersley in VA.

Second bike...BMW Roadside Assistance....Sorry you are on your own...we don't have anyone in that area under contract. 9 Hours on the side of the road while my buddies ride to get another from the overnight at Hammersley....can't say enough good things about them. Also I met some very helpful people in Richwood,WV. Thank you Four Season's Outfitters.

Yes, I immediately called BMW on North America....I had 9 hours... they were polite and agreed that was unacceptable...I have not heard anything back...THEY PROMISED....the letters will be sent this week!!!

The day got better as I pushed the bike (cooled down by now ) to the gas station next door...in case I got it started... which happened to have a faulty pump nozzle...no notice...which sent a plume of fuel over the bike...they made me pay for the extra gas on the ground and clean up. All the locals knew about it!! We road home through the mountains around 9:30 PM at which I had a close encounter with a large deer....very close...she will be easy to recognize...it says Conti Trail Attack on her left side. I have never been face to face with a live deer before....they have very pretty eyes...I wonder what she thought??. No real harm done...I really love ABS. The hot tub and the bar made everything better at the Inn at Snowshoe.

Back to Hammersley for the third time...6+ hour round trip plus service time.... in three days...for warranty replacement.....nice twisty roads on the way to Lynchburg.

Another motorcycling adventure....all in all it was still a great time.
If this is what "Adventure Motorcycling" is all about, I think I could do with much less adventure, . As a lurker and used to be RT seeker (before reading all the threads) you guys and gals are tougher than me for living with and putting up with stuff like this. My hat is off to you.

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:17 AM   #1676
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankgs
Well, I must be an off-the-handle-reactionary-type as I feel if you pay $17,000 plus dollars for what is marketed as a "see the world adventure motorcycle" , it should not leave you stranded with only 2,000 miles on the odometer... (BTW, has it happened to YOU???)
After reading that back to myself, I think I am unreasonable as well!
Agreed, if it happen to you it will surely alter your perspective. But, a working spare ring, a #10 Torx is a solution that seems like a reasonable alternative to me(especially if the 247 part has fixed the problem). Cuz, the alternative is:

Get rid of my BMW's as they are all CAN-bus models. And, the inconvenience of the antenna ring is not getting me to change brands. But, that's just my opinion.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:40 AM   #1677
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,316
GB equating this to a flat tire is not the right thing to do. The flat tire is due to an outside influence.

The EWS issue is Russian Roulette. There are lots of ideas of what causes it, but little, in any information form BMW.

The POS, koolaid drinkers over at the BMWMOA site think there have only been about 30 documneted cases. (I have quit the MOA many times over the years for their complete idiotic standpoint on many issues) If it were not for the "anonymous book" I would not be a member. Come to think of it maybe that is the problem! If you must have a club with a nationwide network of helpers to support your travel perhaps you should not use that form of conveyance. I do not see a Toyota Owners of America club to help you get from coast to coast

Yes, it is one thing to carry spares and tools and have the time to do roadside repairs when you are on some sort of epic journey or even an afternoon ride, but I do not like the idea that when I have an hour to ride (AND ONLY AN HOUR) that the bike might not start and it needs repaired if I do something as simple as shut off the ignition.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:53 AM   #1678
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
Agreed, if it happen to you it will surely alter your perspective. But, a working spare ring, a #10 Torx is a solution that seems like a reasonable alternative to me(especially if the 247 part has fixed the problem). Cuz, the alternative is:

Get rid of my BMW's as they are all CAN-bus models. And, the inconvenience of the antenna ring is not getting me to change brands. But, that's just my opinion.

There lies the rub with me. BMW BMW! is having trouble getting their hands and stubborn minds around the issue. I just visited BMW Welt last week, they can spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a state of the art lifestyle/delivery facility, but they can not figure out why sometimes my bike will not recognize its own key.

This kind of bullshit is exactly why I will switch brands. I can put up with a lot of stuff, but not this type of stuff.

Did 247 fix the problem? Does BMW know, or are we the test subjects? I want a fucking godamn answer & I do not want want it to come from a group on the internet, I want it to come from BMW corporate. I want them to send me a letter telling me they have rectified the situation and that barring any very usnuaual circumstances I should never have a EWS situation again.

Anyone who buys an new BMW with a Canbus system is a complete idiot.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:17 AM   #1679
dometop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
No, just realistic and not reactionary.

We all have levels of comfort. Obviously they are not the same for everyone. That does not make me wrong, or you wrong, it just makes us different in what we are willing to accept.

Jim
Possibly a little more reaction from the BMW diehards would help us no so die hard riders get chronics product issues resolved. Just a thought.
dometop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:31 AM   #1680
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

EWS! Motorcycle owners only...

This thread should only be used by those of us who have ACTUALLY had a system FAILURE...I really don't give a flying F#$* about BMW Kool-Aid drinkers "thoughts and ideas" about why or how this could happen to a BMW product... or that it is our responsibility as BMW Owners to carry around a spare antenna ring and torqs driver!