0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2008, 09:30 PM   #1726
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
Come on dealers are selling the newest version of the antenna #247...on what information are they basing their statement that #247 fixes the EWS problem? Think about it. They either have informtion from BMW stating that #247 is THE solution and they are not divulging that...very unlikely.

Or...they are saying it is THE solution because it IS the latest version of the antenna. What would they say: "Here is #247 hope it works better than the last antenna we received"?

So my challenge to the BMW dealers lurking out there...Is #247 the ulitmate solution to the EWS failures? If yes, what is that proclamation based on?

Yeti...I want in the worst way for #247 antenna to be the resolution to this BS EWS issue..today I rode 145 miles of solo dirt, 45 miles from anyone and at the snow line; my assumption of risk, but this crap of "no comment/no informtion" from BMW does not allow me to tuck a #247 in my kit and imagine I will not get stranded...Trust with verification and there is no verification.
Fair point/question. I don't know what info they based that on. I'll call my guy tomorrow and ask him. He did say that BMW told him that the 247 fixes the problem.

One possibility occurs to me though. BMW may be telling the dealers that the 247 fixes the problem, but not telling them what the problem is/was.

I'll let you know what I hear.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:32 PM   #1727
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,865

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-zoot
The EWS failed [on the day I bought the bike] with 285 miles on the odo . I'm guessing the bike had less than 10 starts on it.

Since my bike was purchased that day, I wasnt in the Motorrad system yet and had to pay out of pocket for the tow.

I need to say my experience with Shreveport Motorsports BMW (seller)and Lonestar BMW (warranty work) was top notch!. I was amazed at the level of service and concern from both dealerships...this renewed my confidence in choosing a BMW.

Randy
What did you think they were going to do for a hi-zoot randy new customer?

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:21 PM   #1728
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,282
Kool..Sounds Good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
Fair point/question. I don't know what info they based that on. I'll call my guy tomorrow and ask him. He did say that BMW told him that the 247 fixes the problem.

One possibility occurs to me though. BMW may be telling the dealers that the 247 fixes the problem, but not telling them what the problem is/was.

I'll let you know what I hear.
Thanks...I would love to know what BMW is telling their/our dealers! Dink with him a little and try to get a sense of how/when they told them..

This "Australian antenna recall" is still hanging out there..hoax or real?

Phil:::
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:13 AM   #1729
Ateesman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Add me to the list - Failure this past weekend

I bought my 07 last fall and had put over 4000 miles on it and never had a problem.

Last week, I took off on my first long ride. With about 6000 miles on it and 500 miles from home, mine decided to start messing with me in northern Michigan Saturday evening. I tried multiple times and finally it would start but I still decided that I had better change my plans and start heading towards home.

The next day, I managed to make it as far as northern Indiana before it would not start after waiting over an hour.

So - hello tow-truck and $500 fee to get me home. The BMW roadside assistance will take care of that (just barely). Great ride in the front seat of a tow truck.

Of course - the bike will start now that it is home.

So - would you all imagine that I also get to look forward to a FD failure as well? What other improbable yet present possible failures are out there lurking to strand me somewhere (besides the normal ones we are supposed to worry about; flat tires, bad gas, etc)?

Good thing I was only in Michigan City at a gas station. What if I had been in the middle of nowhere?

I am not a happy camper.

Paul
Ateesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:46 AM   #1730
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Gadget Boy...We Need A New Sticker!

Rick, seems about time that you add a new sticker to the inventory. I'm sure you can design one that maybe has an antenna ring, or EWS failure, with the BAN/SLASH through it? Or perhaps a T-shirt AND sticker combo with "I've Survived an EWS Failure" etc.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:29 AM   #1731
kam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Well, with the new part number emerging, I called Chicago BMW last night to see if I could exchange #207, which I bought from them in January, is still in its box w/reciept attached, for 247...and was told no. Period, no exchanges, and the parts guy said he had not heard of any issues w/207, and "thought" the new part # was maybe due to a different manufacturer....so now what? Buy a second spare???
Old 05-20-2008, 07:19 AM   #1732
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam
Well, with the new part number emerging, I called Chicago BMW last night to see if I could exchange #207, which I bought from them in January, is still in its box w/reciept attached, for 247...and was told no. Period, no exchanges, and the parts guy said he had not heard of any issues w/207, and "thought" the new part # was maybe due to a different manufacturer....so now what? Buy a second spare???
Remember, your current one may NEVER fail. Test the 207, if it works, you're good to go. You have a working bike, a working spare, life's good. That's what I would do FWIW. Let's not forget, the numbers of failures relative to numbers of bikes is still very low and the likelihood of your current (in bike) ring failing is low.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:17 AM   #1733
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Part No. For Diagnostic Cable...

Ok, too lazy to go thru this whole thing. But read somewhere that there's a diagnostic cable that can be used as an extension to the current cable that plugs into fixed antenna ring, enabling one to 'stuff' the whole new ring/taped key mess under a seat or out of harm's way.

Anyone remember seeing this? Where?
Old 05-20-2008, 10:31 AM   #1734
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
John,

From memory, it was Bobby, from Atlanta, that brought that up -- at least most recently.

Might want to PM him and see if it's an OEM part (with #) or not....
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:33 AM   #1735
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBeener
John,

From memory, it was Bobby, from Atlanta, that brought that up -- at least most recently.

Might want to PM him and see if it's an OEM part (with #) or not....
I just found Bobby's referral to the DIAGNOSTIC WIRE HARNESS EXTENSION. I PM'd him. Thanks!
Old 05-20-2008, 10:42 AM   #1736
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,282
Eh? Come On John...

[quote=jpalamar]Remember, your current one may NEVER fail. Test the 207, if it works, you're good to go. You have a working bike, a working spare, life's good. That's what I would do FWIW. Let's not forget, the numbers of failures relative to numbers of bikes is still very low and the likelihood of your current (in bike) ring failing is low.[/quote]

Good grief John that same old hackneyed drivel that the EWS failures are [pick your favorite]: "Very few"; "Statistically insignificant"; "Not compelling"; "Not an unusal rate of failure"; "All things mechanical/electrical will fail"; "Not to be worried about"; "Is being fixed as we speak by BMW"; "No cause for alarm"; "All bikes have failures"; "Carry a spare and don't worry"; "Antenna #247 is the magic bullet" "Trust don't question BMW"...etc, etc,

Check out the last couple of pages of this thread and tell that nonsense to those who got stranded....

Lets all have more intellectual honesty and at a minimum acknowledge that all is not right in Camelot and the EWS strandings ARE a VERY big deal.
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:49 AM   #1737
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

[quote=Wallowa]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
Remember, your current one may NEVER fail. Test the 207, if it works, you're good to go. You have a working bike, a working spare, life's good. That's what I would do FWIW. Let's not forget, the numbers of failures relative to numbers of bikes is still very low and the likelihood of your current (in bike) ring failing is low.[/quote]

Good grief John that same old hackneyed drivel that the EWS failures are [pick your favorite]: "Very few"; "Statistically insignificant"; "Not compelling"; "Not an unusal rate of failure"; "All things mechanical/electrical will fail"; "Not to be worried about"; "Is being fixed as we speak by BMW"; "No cause for alarm"; "All bikes have failures"; "Carry a spare and don't worry"; "Antenna #247 is the magic bullet" "Trust don't question BMW"...etc, etc,

Check out the last couple of pages of this thread and tell that nonsense to those who got stranded....

Lets all have more intellectual honesty and at a minimum acknowledge that all is not right in Camelot and the EWS strandings ARE a VERY big deal.
C'mon Phil, oil is too f*ing expensive, McCain, Hillary, and Obama ain't shining examples, and the ring issue exists. Without being inflammatory or disrespectful I don't dispute you that it's not a small thing but I'm going on a 4000-5000 mile trip in June. I can wring my hands, gnash my teeth, grumble like hell (as on this forum) or do what I've done, and carry a spare? Any other ideas, seriously? And yeah, you know I've had two bike failures and one spare failure, so not just an interloper commenting.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:58 AM   #1738
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
I just found Bobby's referral to the DIAGNOSTIC WIRE HARNESS EXTENSION. I PM'd him. Thanks!
When you get the P/N would you post it up please. Thanks!
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:59 AM   #1739
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,594
I have to say that I like the theory that there is a wire in the antennae ring being broken by thermal expansion/contraction. This fits well with the failure normally being in the very low mileage camp; after several heat cycles the ring either breaks or does not. Also, this could explain why a spare (maybe kept under the seat in a location subject to a fair amount of heat, or cold, or at least temp. swings?) might fail.

Of course this also points up the possiblility that a spare might be subject to failure at any time, so just because you test it once does not mean it will work a month later.

Boy, the 08's seem particularily susesptible.

My 07 GSA bought in April of 07 has almost 12K miles on it. I'm thinking I'm pretty safe, but will most likely pick up a 247 spare in about a month, assuming it gets no bad press here.

I guess I'm a KoolAid drinker, as I still feel this is the best bike I've ever riden, and really want no other.

Crap, if BMW actually fixes this, what will we have to post about?

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:02 AM   #1740
tpresten
RideUmAll

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob

I guess I'm a KoolAid drinker, as I still feel this is the best bike I've ever riden, and really want no other.

Crap, if BMW actually fixes this, what will we have to post about?
Final Drives? Splines?

tpresten screwed with this post 05-20-2008 at 11:08 AM
tpresten is online now   Reply With Quote