0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2008, 06:25 AM   #1801
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateesman
I reported mine here a couple of days ago. I have to describe it as intermittent as well. The first couple of times, after trying 5-10 min, the bike finally started. The third time, I tried for over an hour and it wouldn't start. After a 4 hour tow truck ride home - it started and has started 3 or 4 times since. Is my problem something other than a faulty EWS Immobilizer antenna ? (i.e. bad key?)

I'll add that my 3 failures were all following fairly hard 2+ hour rides with little or no break (last one being while making a mad interstate dash to get home while the bike still ran).

Excuse me for not reading all 115+ pages of this thread, but is the typical failure a one time "over and out" kind of thing - never to start again until repair?

Also - I am assuming that since no one is talking about it, a "bypass" is not being considered. Because of warranty issues only or is there some other reason?

Thanks for all the information.

Paul
There is no bypass or simple solution, sadly. FWIW, I would get the bike to the dealer and have the new antenna ring put in. The newest part no. that is not supposed to fail ends in 247. Consider yourself lucky so far.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:29 AM   #1802
ylexot
Super Genius

Oddometer: 780
Quote:
Also - I am assuming that since no one is talking about it, a "bypass" is not being considered. Because of warranty issues only or is there some other reason?
It's not being considered because, as far as we know, it's not possible.
ylexot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:39 AM   #1803
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
Correct! Only heard of a few restarts then..call the tow truck.

Jim..second part..In what model year did the key/antenna/EWS start?
It basically started in the spring of '07 and by summer, the antenna rings were out of stock for awhile. My dealer has seen two failures total and both of them last year. They have about a dozen '07 and '08 bikes out so far this year without incident...
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:42 AM   #1804
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,242
Quote:
Is my problem something other than a faulty EWS Immobilizer antenna ? (i.e. bad key?)

Excuse me for not reading all 115+ pages of this thread, but is the typical failure a one time "over and out" kind of thing - never to start again until repair?
A bad key is possible, especially on intermittent faults. EWS faults are usually permanent. Once you have an EWS failure, the bike will not start no matter what and there is no bypass code that you can enter. Some get an early warning with intermittent issues, and others try to start the bike, EWS! on the display and it's time to call a tow truck. Carry a spare and a Torx 10 screwdriver.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:45 AM   #1805
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack
It basically started in the spring of '07 and by summer, the antenna rings were out of stock for awhile. My dealer has seen two failures total and both of them last year. They have about a dozen '07 and '08 bikes out so far this year without incident...
I only question the low numbers reported in your reply. Perhaps Daytona a more active dealership, especially with ride-throughs, but 2 (two) failures seems very low indeed, especially when you consider all of the models involved.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:52 AM   #1806
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHPA
about to buy an 08 GS but this is pretty frightening. 20%!?
20% of those who responded to THIS poll. That means nothing if you're wondering what the chances are of a GS ring failure. That only means that 20% of the people who responded to the poll have had failures. NOT 20% of all GS's on the road.

For example, I did not vote in the poll. I ha ve not had EWS failure, but I don't feel comfortable voting "No." Why you ask? Because my bike has about 3500 miles on it and is an '07. I'm right in the area which is ripe for failure. (Which is also why I have a 247 ring under my seat.) I'm not out of the danger zone yet for failure and I don't want to vote no then have it fail and the poll is skewed.

Statisitics is the one math class in which I did really well at University.

Speaking of which, did you know that 78% of all statistics are innaccurate??
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:45 AM   #1807
ylexot
Super Genius

Oddometer: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
44k on an 05 with no issues.

Jim
Hey Jim, what's the part number for your ring? Maybe they started using a new one in 06.
ylexot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:32 AM   #1808
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Did You See A "EWS" Display?

Quote:
I reported mine here a couple of days ago. I have to describe it as intermittent as well. The first couple of times, after trying 5-10 min, the bike finally started. The third time, I tried for over an hour and it wouldn't start. After a 4 hour tow truck ride home - it started and has started 3 or 4 times since. Is my problem something other than a faulty EWS Immobilizer antenna ? (i.e. bad key?)

I'll add that my 3 failures were all following fairly hard 2+ hour rides with little or no break (last one being while making a mad interstate dash to get home while the bike still ran).

Thanks for all the information.

Paul
Lots of info on this thread to guide you...but as stated this may not be an "EWS" stranding...did you see the "EWS" displayed on your computer screen?
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:35 AM   #1809
Andino
Roaming Expat

Oddometer: 34
Hi,
R1200GS/'05; 19000 km, no probs ever.
Cheers,
Andino
Old 05-23-2008, 12:03 PM   #1810
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
The "No" option doesn't belong IMHO. If the desire is to get some idea of factors causing the failure or the mileage, the"No" option doesn't matter. Plus, what if you vote "No" and then go to ride the next day and get ews! can you change your vote? No.
Yeti, The poll is a cross-section snap shot in time and any such poll will have its strengths and weaknesses. I also realize that the poll is not a totally representative sample of GS owners. But then how would you go about doing that?

GB wrote: This poll is somewhat flawed since it does not take into account the model year of the reported failures.

I agree GB but the poll function on this site only allows for 4 options. Now if someone's got the time and inclination putting up a more detailed survey on surveymonkey http://www.surveymonkey.com could be useful but any survey unless it's longitudinal is going to have the limitations Yeti mentions.
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:16 PM   #1811
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
kindofblue: I applaud your effort, and like your last reply.

By definition, what is created here renders a "self-selecting sample--" traditionally, that rather degrades the confidence in the data from this type of survey.

The only way to get meanginful data would be if, say, BMWNA proactively telephoned a statistically significant sample of all GS owners (from the relevant years), and asked them about it.

Actually, they'd have to telephone some multiple OF that significant sample, because of low response rates. So ... if they needed 300 to be statistically significant, they might have to CALL 5,000 owners just to GET 300 responses!

From there, they could extrapolate to the entire population, and gain a fairly reliable failure/occurrence rate.

I'll try to get everybody's phone number and start calling them tomorrow

NBeener screwed with this post 05-23-2008 at 01:11 PM
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #1812
Ateesman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
RE -Did You See A "EWS" Display?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
Lots of info on this thread to guide you...but as stated this may not be an "EWS" stranding...did you see the "EWS" displayed on your computer screen?
Sorry - left that out. Yes - on all 3 occasions "EWS" came up on the screen.

Side note: I made an appt. with the Champaign IL dealer to get the bike in. I said "I need the 6000 mi service and I got stranded by . . I believe it is called the EWS?"

The response was: "Ok - 6000 mi service and EWS on 07 GS. Ok - we'll get you in".

Point being - no questions, no follow-up. He knew exactly what I was talking about when I said "EWS".

Paul

"God made man - but a monkey supplied the glue" - Devo
Ateesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:23 PM   #1813
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Point being - no questions, no follow-up. He knew exactly what I was talking about when I said "EWS".
Yet somehow, by the time you get there, they'll still find a way to claim that they've never heard of, nor seen this failure before
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:04 PM   #1814
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylexot
Hey Jim, what's the part number for your ring? Maybe they started using a new one in 06.
I think it was mid 06 with the other changes they made.

Here is mine:

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:08 PM   #1815
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Much Easier Than That..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBeener
kindofblue: I applaud your effort, and like your last reply.

By definition, what is created here renders a "self-selecting sample--" traditionally, that rather degrades the confidence in the data from this type of survey.

The only way to get meanginful data would be if, say, BMWNA proactively telephoned a statistically significant sample of all GS owners (from the relevant years), and asked them about it.

Actually, they'd have to telephone some multiple OF that significant sample, because of low response rates. So ... if they needed 300 to be statistically significant, they might have to CALL 5,000 owners just to GET 300 responses!

From there, they could extrapolate to the entire population, and gain a fairly reliable failure/occurrence rate.

I'll try to get everybody's phone number and start calling them tomorrow
Naw, they have the population/production # [N] and they definitely have the number of replaced antenna...so BMW has their significant sampling and they know this is a problem that needs to be dealt with, but they haven't..they are avoiding any annoucements or bulletins; why? $$$$$$ and arrogance of corporate BMW ego...

Soooo, we wait, and wait, and buy the latest, greatest spare antenna, or so we think, cuz nobody knows if there is ANY difference between each iteration of antenna...just a new number? Or an improved antenna?

Think about it...you buy a new $$$$ bike proported to have a reputation for great durability and dependability only to run up against this EWS crap...and if you are real lucky, you get stranded in BFE; no extra charge for that.

How sweet...and the silence is deafening but speaks volumes.
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote