0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-27-2008, 08:17 AM   #1876
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardchaser
Can anybody tell me if someone has reported a failer with the new antenna part #247. Could this be the final fix? Don't want to read thru 1700+ post. Does anybody have a failer with that part number? My 08' gsa craped out at 700 miles and I got a new antenna #247. I keep a spare antenna #247 with me anyway, but if my bike were to crap out again, would my back-up work since it is the same part number??
You may have provoked some confusion. Your bad ring was replaced with a 247 and you also have a spare 247, correct? Nothing wrong with that logic. I have a 247 in 2 out of three cycles and I still carry a spare 247. Not sure why some questioned that!
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:42 AM   #1877
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,996
Some Just Don't Believe This Is Real..

[quote=jpalamar]You may have provoked some confusion. Your bad ring was replaced with a 247 and you also have a spare 247, correct? Nothing wrong with that logic. I have a 247 in 2 out of three cycles and I still carry a spare 247. Not sure why some questioned that![/quote]

Not necessarily about the question of the failed antenna being a #247...but the dis-belief that the EWS problem is really a problem still permeates the air..

Man if #247 is a fix...I will be all over that! Getting stranded where I ride is not an option..

Wallowa screwed with this post 05-27-2008 at 08:47 AM
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:46 AM   #1878
perobins
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Picking up a spare Ring Antenna this week while I am in the USA. Just in case!!
perobins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:53 AM   #1879
rideLD
The further the better!

Oddometer: 5,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthydog
The poll didn't allow to register more than one EWS failure.
Thats alright. The Orange Crush guys will more than make up for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
We pay Motorrad to design weight off the bike then pay TouraTech to bolt it right back on.
rideLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:36 PM   #1880
skmiller47
ImaFrayedKnot

Oddometer: 8
Prior to understanding EWS failure and reading the threadfest, I experienced three (maybe four) intermittant failures. In all cases I switched off, then on again and had ignition. I believe that I had also shut the ignition by the kill switch, then key. And I continued to do so, though I don't any longer. This all ocurred at about 7k on an 07 built in 10/06. Since those incidents there have been none other. The OE antenna is a xxx-121.
After sorting the hysteria from the fact (or lack of) with this issue I felt it pudent to buy and store along a spare ring (247).

I found it interesting that the dealer I support (and respect), trade with does not stock the ring in any incarnation nor has ever replaced one. The next nearest dealer stocks (at the time I bought one) seven.

I voted NO in the survey as none of my experiences were the
"death knell".
74 CZ red frame
all others sold
Agoura CA
"You can sheer your sheep many times, but skin 'em only once" ......Moomat Ahiko
skmiller47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:24 PM   #1881
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Several people have asked fo the PN for the EWS harness; I haven't seen it posted so thought I would do so: 83300402327. If it matters, note that apparently this harness is classified as a tool rather than a part. Cost ~ $111.
motoreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:41 PM   #1882
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

What Is Purpose Of This "Survey"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmiller47
Prior to understanding EWS failure and reading the threadfest, I experienced three (maybe four) intermittant failures. In all cases I switched off, then on again and had ignition. I believe that I had also shut the ignition by the kill switch, then key. And I continued to do so, though I don't any longer. This all ocurred at about 7k on an 07 built in 10/06. Since those incidents there have been none other. The OE antenna is a xxx-121.
After sorting the hysteria from the fact (or lack of) with this issue I felt it pudent to buy and store along a spare ring (247).

I found it interesting that the dealer I support (and respect), trade with does not stock the ring in any incarnation nor has ever replaced one. The next nearest dealer stocks (at the time I bought one) seven.

I voted NO in the survey as none of my experiences were the
"death knell".
Again why are we indulging in this 'mock' survey? What is the purpose and hoped outcome?

The above, "No failure" vote is puzzling..."three maybe four intermittant failures? but since they were not "death knells" they were not failures?

I agree with hysteria statement sorta...there is zero justification for hysteria...but then I can't understand why folks keep trying to play down or minimize these EWS strandings and failures...I guess if you look the other way it doesn't exist..

This tread should by moved the antenna threadfest....
Old 05-27-2008, 03:45 PM   #1883
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks...A Question On Use..

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreiter
Several people have asked fo the PN for the EWS harness; I haven't seen it posted so thought I would do so: 83300402327. If it matters, note that apparently this harness is classified as a tool rather than a part. Cost ~ $111.
Tell me again how we use this? To "permanently" wire in a spare antenna?

Thanks...
Old 05-27-2008, 05:15 PM   #1884
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa

This tread should by moved the antenna threadfest....
Might as well, it's outlived it's purported purpose. We'll merge it with the EWS threadfest .
Old 05-28-2008, 09:17 AM   #1885
JohnTz
HP2 Rider

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Tell me again how we use this? To "permanently" wire in a spare antenna?

Thanks...
+1
'08 Suzuki Burgman 400
'79 Vespa P200E
JohnTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:29 AM   #1886
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz

Oddometer: 1,092

2008 R1200GS (Slate Gray Metallic Matt)
2003 R1150GS (Night Black)
PRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:38 AM   #1887
skmiller47
ImaFrayedKnot

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Again why are we indulging in this 'mock' survey? What is the purpose and hoped outcome?

The above, "No failure" vote is puzzling..."three maybe four intermittant failures? but since they were not "death knells" they were not failures?

...I guess if you look the other way it doesn't exist..
In my absence of knowledge re the ongoing and serious EWS issue, I considered my experience to be an "interruption", interference only momentary. Each circumstance immediately corrected itself. Concerning? Yes. Could I duplicate the incident? No. The proverbial "fault not found". And now 3k miles have passed since these incidents.

Had I not been exposed to other's issues, I'd still be happily (and ignorantly) riding down the road, like now, without further incident (assumed). But having become informed, even without further incident, I bought a spare.

With regard to BMW's responce (read none) something should be initiated. In my understanding of recall foundation, I'm not sure this qualifies, but I believe a service action for replacement at next opportunity would be appropriate. That is considering the actual cause of fault is determined and that the replacement component proves to be faultless.

The vote part I consider "entertainment", as the thread has a large dose woven within.
74 CZ red frame
all others sold
Agoura CA
"You can sheer your sheep many times, but skin 'em only once" ......Moomat Ahiko
skmiller47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:27 PM   #1888
BMW Kurt
Bluesman

Oddometer: 9,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreiter
$82.20 at Chicago BMW. I think this tool may be convenient, but not necessary.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:49 AM   #1889
JohnTz
HP2 Rider

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Kurt
$82.20 at Chicago BMW. I think this tool may be convenient, but not necessary.
Kurt,
Can you please explain how do you use it? What does it do?

thanks,
John
'08 Suzuki Burgman 400
'79 Vespa P200E
JohnTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:00 AM   #1890
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTz
Kurt,
Can you please explain how do you use it? What does it do?

thanks,
John
If you understand the concept of disconnecting the harness from the 'key' antenna ring and using the spare, the harness is nothing but a long(er) extension cable that enables you to put the new ring/taped/zip-tied key in a more convenient space (e.g. under your seat) rather than this new ring with key dangling from a cable/handlebar. Neatens things up and [perhaps] gets the new ring out of harms way and is aesthetically more appealing. I thought I would get one, but decided to pass on it FYI.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote