ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2008, 04:13 PM   #2011
Poolside
Syndicated
 
Poolside's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Oddometer: 11,851

The '247 antenna just puts you on yet another highwire, waiting for the EWS to fail again. You know you'll never really trust the system.

The solution is the EWS manual override that Siemens built into the EWS/ECU, and that BMW ships from the factory.


__________________

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:34 PM   #2012
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown
 
YetiGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 7,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside
The '247 antenna just puts you on yet another highwire, waiting for the EWS to fail again. You know you'll never really trust the system.

The solution is the EWS manual override that Siemens built into the EWS/ECU, and that BMW ships from the factory.

Hush you. Until you provide us with information on how to obtain said manual override, you are hereby prohibited from mentioning (tempting us with) it again!!
__________________
-Scott-
Semper Fi
'04 BMW R1150GSA, '04 KTM 625 SXC
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:46 PM   #2013
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: NE Oregon
Oddometer: 5,239
So True!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
Hush you. Until you provide us with information on how to obtain said manual override, you are hereby prohibited from mentioning (tempting us with) it again!!
Yup...PoolBoy is proving to be a royal butt wad!
__________________
"In Wallowas"
====================
2007 R1200GS Adventure " ...to explore off-road, alone in my case, way out in the boonies...that feeds the soul!"
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:57 PM   #2014
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown
 
YetiGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 7,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
Yup...PoolBoy is proving to be a royal butt wad!
I don't know about butt wad, but he is holding out on us. Which aint cool in my book. That or he's full of
__________________
-Scott-
Semper Fi
'04 BMW R1150GSA, '04 KTM 625 SXC
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:23 PM   #2015
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
I don't know about butt wad, but he is holding out on us. Which aint cool in my book. That or he's full of
I say we drive [edit: of course, I mean "ride"] up to Long Beach and make him buy us beers until he talks.

That'll fix his wagon
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:32 PM   #2016
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
I don't know about butt wad, but he is holding out on us. Which aint cool in my book. That or he's full of
Bingo!

He suspects, he does not know, that there is a way to disable the EWS. He DOES like being criptic in an attempt to be cool!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:07 PM   #2017
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: NE Oregon
Oddometer: 5,239
Long Beach!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBeener
I say we drive [edit: of course, I mean "ride"] up to Long Beach and make him buy us beers until he talks.

That'll fix his wagon
Screw driving there...Long Beach and Pedro area is the mecca of butt wads!
__________________
"In Wallowas"
====================
2007 R1200GS Adventure " ...to explore off-road, alone in my case, way out in the boonies...that feeds the soul!"
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:25 PM   #2018
* SHAG *
Unstable
 
* SHAG *'s Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: Bradford, Pa
Oddometer: 4,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
OK What manufacturing date was the start of defective/EWS prone antenna? You say 04-05-06 bikes had antenna that have never failed..what was that antenna number? To my knowledge we have not pinned down what the defective antenna numbers have been...and only hope #247 is in fact a non-defective design.
I just heard of an 06 GS failure yesterday. Did not get the specifics on the build date of bike from the owner. That's the first confirmed 06 I've heard of.
Looks like very few late 06 models, bunch of 07's & some 08's without the new #247.
Seems to me that if you have an 04-05 with the ring you're safe. If you have a late build 06 or any 07, or an 08 without the #247, you need to get the worry beads or carry a spare!
__________________
2013 Yamaha TW200 2k
99-RT- Graphite 50k Gone
01-GS- Mandarin 42k Gone
05-GS- Rock Red 92k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:50 AM   #2019
Anorak
Woolf Barnato
 
Anorak's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: OAK
Oddometer: 33,248
Let's say a person made a statement without any attending detail about a subject that interested a group of people. These people have at their disposal an interesting tool for researching the veracity of claims such as that made by the person. Some claim to be evolved enough to use tools but seem to have neglected this tool which has allowed this, search me for BMW simple and incomplete document to perhaps provide some truth to the statement. Isn't it better to teach fishing than to just feed the masses?
__________________
'Gonna get me a six pack...push people off the highway!'

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:05 AM   #2020
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown
 
YetiGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 7,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluorescentbrown
Let's say a person made a statement without any attending detail about a subject that interested a group of people. These people have at their disposal an interesting tool for researching the veracity of claims such as that made by the person. Some claim to be evolved enough to use tools but seem to have neglected this tool which has allowed this, search me for BMW simple and incomplete document to perhaps provide some truth to the statement. Isn't it better to teach fishing than to just feed the masses?
Yabbut, who wants to be a fisherman??

Seriously, if I read that correctly, it'll tell you the PIN for your key. But not how to disable EWS. That's what we're looking for. Knowing the key PIN does you no good if the EWS antennae fails.

Or did I miss something? Again.
__________________
-Scott-
Semper Fi
'04 BMW R1150GSA, '04 KTM 625 SXC
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:14 AM   #2021
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...
 
DaFoole's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: BFE, SW Oregon/SF BayO'rea
Oddometer: 4,041
...and yay, he spoke and they did step forth and their eyes were upon him. Their ears were his. His words flowed as water, and lo, he said unto them......a bunch of stuff they couldn't understand.....


__________________
"...when I handed the 40 ouncer to him, he got that far off stare that a cat gets when it just gets done licking its ass for the last 15". Yeah, THAT stare." -WTF-Over
"Don't come in here with your thoughtfulness, empathy, and reason... this is shit, up with which, I shall not put." -Boondoggle
DaFoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:56 AM   #2022
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer
 
jpalamar's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL (Northeast FL, USA)
Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exurban
Has anyone replaced an antenna ring? As a precautionary measure I went ahead and had the bolts drilled out and replaced. According to the fiche looks like they hold up the ring, steering lock mechanism and ignition switch. I have an '08 with 136-01, 900 miles and leaving in 24 hours on a 13,000 mile jaunt to Alaska with a spare 247. just wondering.
I like your style...some may question your actions but hey, ask NASA about redundancy. Besides, and I take FULL CREDIT for this quote:

If it's important enough to have one, then you should have two!
__________________
2007 R1200GS Adv DMC Hack
2014 R1200WCGS
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:51 AM   #2023
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer
 
jpalamar's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL (Northeast FL, USA)
Oddometer: 3,080
Diagnostic Tool/Antenna Ring Cable Extension

I just received the Diagnostic Cable (tool) that enables you to distance the detached antenna ring from the short cable that protrudes from the anchored ring for better positioning. It's about 4 feet or so can be tucked elsewhere. Not sure if it's worth the 80+ bucks or so, but, what the hell, gets the dangling ring if you have to use the spare out of harm's way. Besides, helps meet my monthly sales quota at the dealer for useless crap I buy!
__________________
2007 R1200GS Adv DMC Hack
2014 R1200WCGS
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:38 AM   #2024
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: NE Oregon
Oddometer: 5,239
Still Escapes Me John..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
I just received the Diagnostic Cable (tool) that enables you to distance the detached antenna ring from the short cable that protrudes from the anchored ring for better positioning. It's about 4 feet or so can be tucked elsewhere. Not sure if it's worth the 80+ bucks or so, but, what the hell, gets the dangling ring if you have to use the spare out of harm's way. Besides, helps meet my monthly sales quota at the dealer for useless crap I buy!
OK...Long harnass..but why? If you carry a spare antenna, why have it hooked into a long harnass if you still have the original antenna in place around the key? If original takes a dump and bingo "EWS" you unscrew the housing, pull out the plug and plug new antenna into a four foot harnass?

How do you intend to use the harnass?
__________________
"In Wallowas"
====================
2007 R1200GS Adventure " ...to explore off-road, alone in my case, way out in the boonies...that feeds the soul!"
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:45 AM   #2025
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer
 
jpalamar's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL (Northeast FL, USA)
Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
OK...Long harnass..but why? If you carry a spare antenna, why have it hooked into a long harnass if you still have the original antenna in place around the key? If original takes a dump and bingo "EWS" you unscrew the housing, pull out the plug and plug new antenna into a four foot harnass?

How do you intend to use the harnass?
Phil, the harness that would go into the spare is short, meaining you have to tie-strap it somewhere near the anchored ring. with the harness/cable you can plug in and use your spare hidden somewhere out of harm's way? The anchored one is now, as it would have been without the cable is just on/off switch. Unless you are forgetting that we are also taping/tie-strapping the spare key to the dangling/working ring.
__________________
2007 R1200GS Adv DMC Hack
2014 R1200WCGS
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014