Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-04-2008, 04:13 PM   #2011
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,851

The '247 antenna just puts you on yet another highwire, waiting for the EWS to fail again. You know you'll never really trust the system.

The solution is the EWS manual override that Siemens built into the EWS/ECU, and that BMW ships from the factory.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:34 PM   #2012
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside
The '247 antenna just puts you on yet another highwire, waiting for the EWS to fail again. You know you'll never really trust the system.

The solution is the EWS manual override that Siemens built into the EWS/ECU, and that BMW ships from the factory.

Hush you. Until you provide us with information on how to obtain said manual override, you are hereby prohibited from mentioning (tempting us with) it again!!
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:46 PM   #2013
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,239
So True!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
Hush you. Until you provide us with information on how to obtain said manual override, you are hereby prohibited from mentioning (tempting us with) it again!!
Yup...PoolBoy is proving to be a royal butt wad!
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:57 PM   #2014
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
Yup...PoolBoy is proving to be a royal butt wad!
I don't know about butt wad, but he is holding out on us. Which aint cool in my book. That or he's full of
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
Old 06-04-2008, 05:23 PM   #2015
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
I don't know about butt wad, but he is holding out on us. Which aint cool in my book. That or he's full of
I say we drive [edit: of course, I mean "ride"] up to Long Beach and make him buy us beers until he talks.

That'll fix his wagon
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:32 PM   #2016
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,277
Quote:
Bingo!

He suspects, he does not know, that there is a way to disable the EWS. He DOES like being criptic in an attempt to be cool!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:07 PM   #2017
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Long Beach!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBeener
I say we drive [edit: of course, I mean "ride"] up to Long Beach and make him buy us beers until he talks.

That'll fix his wagon
Screw driving there...Long Beach and Pedro area is the mecca of butt wads!
Old 06-04-2008, 07:25 PM   #2018
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,321
Quote:
OK What manufacturing date was the start of defective/EWS prone antenna? You say 04-05-06 bikes had antenna that have never failed..what was that antenna number? To my knowledge we have not pinned down what the defective antenna numbers have been...and only hope #247 is in fact a non-defective design.
I just heard of an 06 GS failure yesterday. Did not get the specifics on the build date of bike from the owner. That's the first confirmed 06 I've heard of.
Looks like very few late 06 models, bunch of 07's & some 08's without the new #247.
Seems to me that if you have an 04-05 with the ring you're safe. If you have a late build 06 or any 07, or an 08 without the #247, you need to get the worry beads or carry a spare!
05-GS- Rock Red 92k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:50 AM   #2019
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,248
Let's say a person made a statement without any attending detail about a subject that interested a group of people. These people have at their disposal an interesting tool for researching the veracity of claims such as that made by the person. Some claim to be evolved enough to use tools but seem to have neglected this tool which has allowed this, search me for BMW simple and incomplete document to perhaps provide some truth to the statement. Isn't it better to teach fishing than to just feed the masses?

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:05 AM   #2020
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluorescentbrown
Let's say a person made a statement without any attending detail about a subject that interested a group of people. These people have at their disposal an interesting tool for researching the veracity of claims such as that made by the person. Some claim to be evolved enough to use tools but seem to have neglected this tool which has allowed this, search me for BMW simple and incomplete document to perhaps provide some truth to the statement. Isn't it better to teach fishing than to just feed the masses?
Yabbut, who wants to be a fisherman??

Seriously, if I read that correctly, it'll tell you the PIN for your key. But not how to disable EWS. That's what we're looking for. Knowing the key PIN does you no good if the EWS antennae fails.

Or did I miss something? Again.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:14 AM   #2021
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,041
...and yay, he spoke and they did step forth and their eyes were upon him. Their ears were his. His words flowed as water, and lo, he said unto them......a bunch of stuff they couldn't understand.....

Old 06-05-2008, 07:56 AM   #2022
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exurban
Has anyone replaced an antenna ring? As a precautionary measure I went ahead and had the bolts drilled out and replaced. According to the fiche looks like they hold up the ring, steering lock mechanism and ignition switch. I have an '08 with 136-01, 900 miles and leaving in 24 hours on a 13,000 mile jaunt to Alaska with a spare 247. just wondering.
I like your style...some may question your actions but hey, ask NASA about redundancy. Besides, and I take FULL CREDIT for this quote:

If it's important enough to have one, then you should have two!
Old 06-05-2008, 08:51 AM   #2023
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Diagnostic Tool/Antenna Ring Cable Extension

I just received the Diagnostic Cable (tool) that enables you to distance the detached antenna ring from the short cable that protrudes from the anchored ring for better positioning. It's about 4 feet or so can be tucked elsewhere. Not sure if it's worth the 80+ bucks or so, but, what the hell, gets the dangling ring if you have to use the spare out of harm's way. Besides, helps meet my monthly sales quota at the dealer for useless crap I buy!
Old 06-05-2008, 09:38 AM   #2024
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Still Escapes Me John..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
I just received the Diagnostic Cable (tool) that enables you to distance the detached antenna ring from the short cable that protrudes from the anchored ring for better positioning. It's about 4 feet or so can be tucked elsewhere. Not sure if it's worth the 80+ bucks or so, but, what the hell, gets the dangling ring if you have to use the spare out of harm's way. Besides, helps meet my monthly sales quota at the dealer for useless crap I buy!
OK...Long harnass..but why? If you carry a spare antenna, why have it hooked into a long harnass if you still have the original antenna in place around the key? If original takes a dump and bingo "EWS" you unscrew the housing, pull out the plug and plug new antenna into a four foot harnass?

How do you intend to use the harnass?
Old 06-05-2008, 09:45 AM   #2025
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
OK...Long harnass..but why? If you carry a spare antenna, why have it hooked into a long harnass if you still have the original antenna in place around the key? If original takes a dump and bingo "EWS" you unscrew the housing, pull out the plug and plug new antenna into a four foot harnass?

How do you intend to use the harnass?
Phil, the harness that would go into the spare is short, meaining you have to tie-strap it somewhere near the anchored ring. with the harness/cable you can plug in and use your spare hidden somewhere out of harm's way? The anchored one is now, as it would have been without the cable is just on/off switch. Unless you are forgetting that we are also taping/tie-strapping the spare key to the dangling/working ring.