Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2008, 09:53 AM   #2026
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,283
OK..What I Thought..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
Phil, the harness that would go into the spare is short, meaining you have to tie-strap it somewhere near the anchored ring. with the harness/cable you can plug in and use your spare hidden somewhere out of harm's way? The anchored one is now, as it would have been without the cable is just on/off switch. Unless you are forgetting that we are also taping/tie-strapping the spare key to the dangling/working ring.
What I thought you did was unplug the bingo antenna, plug in your spare antenna, start the bike...unplug your spare and store it away.. and drive on...but what you plan is to leave the spare on 4 foot harnass and store it under the seat? And then pull it out to restart until you can get it to a dealer?

Wait.."taping a spare key to antenna" Why? Place spare plugged in antenna over old installed antenna, insert key, start bike, remove spare antenna to storage place...this is not a 'two keys needed' operation..one key is all you need..

Wallowa screwed with this post 06-05-2008 at 10:05 AM
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:57 AM   #2027
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
What I thought you did was unplug the bingo antenna, plug in your spare antenna, start the bike...unplug your spare and store it away.. and drive on...but what you plan is to leave the spare on 4 foot harnass and store it under the seat? And then pull it out to restart until you can get it to a dealer?
No Phil, the spare key is sending the signal and is now a semi-permanent installation; in fact, you can use the spare plastic key. The key in the true ignition now is the key that's only used as an old-fashioned ignition key and has no bearing/intelligence other than on/off. The hidden ring/spare is doing the electronics code passing. Ok?
Old 06-05-2008, 10:49 AM   #2028
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Got It..Thanks..

Quote:
No Phil, the spare key is sending the signal and is now a semi-permanent installation; in fact, you can use the spare plastic key. The key in the true ignition now is the key that's only used as an old-fashioned ignition key and has no bearing/intelligence other than on/off. The hidden ring/spare is doing the electronics code passing. Ok?
OK fair enough...harnass to under seat where spare key and spare antenna which is plug into Canbus which enables key in ignition to start bike...got it..more of a long term solution than I was thinking of...but on a trip it would make sense until you could get a dealer to install the spare [assuming #247] antenna permanetly.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:01 AM   #2029
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
OK fair enough...harnass to under seat where spare key and spare antenna which is plug into Canbus which enables key in ignition to start bike...got it..more of a long term solution than I was thinking of...but on a trip it would make sense until you could get a dealer to install the spare [assuming #247] antenna permanetly.
Agreed Phil. I don't understand why anyone would want to leave the workaround installed as a permanent solution.

I agree with the wisdom of carrying a spare antenna/key, but limiting it's use to conveniently getting the bike started and to the next dealer as soon as feasible, in order to replace the defective one.

2008 R1200GS (Slate Gray Metallic Matt)
2003 R1150GS (Night Black)
PRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:44 PM   #2030
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
Yabbut, who wants to be a fisherman??

Seriously, if I read that correctly, it'll tell you the PIN for your key. But not how to disable EWS. That's what we're looking for. Knowing the key PIN does you no good if the EWS antennae fails.

Or did I miss something? Again.
Well, I'll bait the hook for you. That was just one result of many in a google search for Siemens EWS and BMW. There are a links that have applications to disable the immobilizer. SO, while this is for BMW and other brand automobiles, it is a Siemens ecu. I know the ECU Ducati uses is also used by Fiat in cars.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:25 PM   #2031
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,865

Quote:
...some may question your actions but hey, ask NASA about redundancy. Besides, and I take FULL CREDIT for this quote:
"If it's important enough to have one, then you should have two!"
Redundancy. Which is exactly why Siemens built a manual override into the EWS/ECU, and that BMW ships from the factory.

The '247 antenna just puts you on yet another highwire, waiting for the EWS to fail again. You know you'll never really trust the system.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:55 PM   #2032
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Bluhduh OK, OK..Stop The Bull Shit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside

Redundancy. Which is exactly why Siemens built a manual override into the EWS/ECU, and that BMW ships from the factory.

The '247 antenna just puts you on yet another highwire, waiting for the EWS to fail again. You know you'll never really trust the system.

Geeeez..You and FB purvey so much crap about how the EWS system can be overriden yet fail to produce the HOW..."check here for clues'; "I will teach you to fish" ...are you folks just rattling the cage for your personal amusement?

If you have explict information on how to disable the frickin' EWS system on BMW bikes then state it; otherwise stop the phony cryptic posts.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:07 PM   #2033
Poolside
Syndicated

Siemens and BMW. EWS override.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 06-05-2008, 05:29 PM   #2034
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Ha..Haa..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside
Siemens and BMW. EWS override.

OK I surrender..you got me..but you forgot to mention: "#247..the one before #248"..
Old 06-05-2008, 06:30 PM   #2035
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluorescentbrown
Well, I'll bait the hook for you. That was just one result of many in a google search for Siemens EWS and BMW. There are a links that have applications to disable the immobilizer. SO, while this is for BMW and other brand automobiles, it is a Siemens ecu. I know the ECU Ducati uses is also used by Fiat in cars.
Really??

Show me ONE link that tells me how to disable my BMW motorcycle EWS. Please.

I already know how to do it in my cars.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:42 PM   #2036
Poolside
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
Show me ONE link that tells me how to disable my BMW motorcycle EWS. Please.

I already know how to do it in my cars.
Siemens and BMW know how to input the PIN code to override the EWS on their motorcycle systems.

The EWS override function is built into the ECU by Siemens. Just like on every automobile.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:43 PM   #2037
gary5410
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Just picked up a spare for my ride to Alaska......$36.
'11 BMW R1200 GS Adventure '09 BMW G450 X '81 BMW R80 G/S '81 BMW R80 G/S Iron Butt #23417
My pics..... http://gary5410.smugmug.com/

And Nachtflug said, "gary5410, your bike no longer sucks. Have a cigar"
gary5410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:53 PM   #2038
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,848
"Pre-owned" or new? Who sells them for $36?
Old 06-05-2008, 06:58 PM   #2039
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer: 10,866
Ya but, if I read that source correctly,,, (Siemens web tools)

I can buy a lot of worry beads for a grand (US), especially if it's something that may not ever fail. And, is covered under warranty. If I'm going to ride far from home, maybe spending less than $100 for piece-of-mind is worth it.

I think I'll take my chances and just ride the damn thing.

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. (Albert Einstein)
PacWestGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:01 PM   #2040
Poolside
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacWestGS
Ya but, if I read that source correctly,,, (Siemens web tools)

I can buy a lot of worry beads for a grand (US), especially if it's something that may not ever fail.
The PIN code is on your plastic key.