ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2008, 09:53 AM   #2026
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: NE Oregon
Oddometer: 5,283
OK..What I Thought..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
Phil, the harness that would go into the spare is short, meaining you have to tie-strap it somewhere near the anchored ring. with the harness/cable you can plug in and use your spare hidden somewhere out of harm's way? The anchored one is now, as it would have been without the cable is just on/off switch. Unless you are forgetting that we are also taping/tie-strapping the spare key to the dangling/working ring.
What I thought you did was unplug the bingo antenna, plug in your spare antenna, start the bike...unplug your spare and store it away.. and drive on...but what you plan is to leave the spare on 4 foot harnass and store it under the seat? And then pull it out to restart until you can get it to a dealer?

Wait.."taping a spare key to antenna" Why? Place spare plugged in antenna over old installed antenna, insert key, start bike, remove spare antenna to storage place...this is not a 'two keys needed' operation..one key is all you need..
__________________
"In Wallowas"
====================
2007 R1200GS Adventure " ...to explore off-road, alone in my case, way out in the boonies...that feeds the soul!" After 2014 BOM my bike is forthwith the "GS McGee"!

Wallowa screwed with this post 06-05-2008 at 10:05 AM
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:57 AM   #2027
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer
 
jpalamar's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL (Northeast FL, USA)
Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
What I thought you did was unplug the bingo antenna, plug in your spare antenna, start the bike...unplug your spare and store it away.. and drive on...but what you plan is to leave the spare on 4 foot harnass and store it under the seat? And then pull it out to restart until you can get it to a dealer?
No Phil, the spare key is sending the signal and is now a semi-permanent installation; in fact, you can use the spare plastic key. The key in the true ignition now is the key that's only used as an old-fashioned ignition key and has no bearing/intelligence other than on/off. The hidden ring/spare is doing the electronics code passing. Ok?
__________________
2007 R1200GS Adv DMC Hack
2014 R1200WCGS
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:49 AM   #2028
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: NE Oregon
Oddometer: 5,283
Got It..Thanks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
No Phil, the spare key is sending the signal and is now a semi-permanent installation; in fact, you can use the spare plastic key. The key in the true ignition now is the key that's only used as an old-fashioned ignition key and has no bearing/intelligence other than on/off. The hidden ring/spare is doing the electronics code passing. Ok?
OK fair enough...harnass to under seat where spare key and spare antenna which is plug into Canbus which enables key in ignition to start bike...got it..more of a long term solution than I was thinking of...but on a trip it would make sense until you could get a dealer to install the spare [assuming #247] antenna permanetly.
__________________
"In Wallowas"
====================
2007 R1200GS Adventure " ...to explore off-road, alone in my case, way out in the boonies...that feeds the soul!" After 2014 BOM my bike is forthwith the "GS McGee"!
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:01 AM   #2029
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz
 
PRW's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
OK fair enough...harnass to under seat where spare key and spare antenna which is plug into Canbus which enables key in ignition to start bike...got it..more of a long term solution than I was thinking of...but on a trip it would make sense until you could get a dealer to install the spare [assuming #247] antenna permanetly.
Agreed Phil. I don't understand why anyone would want to leave the workaround installed as a permanent solution.

I agree with the wisdom of carrying a spare antenna/key, but limiting it's use to conveniently getting the bike started and to the next dealer as soon as feasible, in order to replace the defective one.
__________________
When Im riding my motorcycle, Im glad to be alive and when I stop riding my motorcycle, Im glad to be alive. -Neil Peart

2008 R1200GS (Slate Gray Metallic Matt)
2003 R1150GS (Night Black)
PRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:44 PM   #2030
Anorak
Woolf Barnato
 
Anorak's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: OAK
Oddometer: 33,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
Yabbut, who wants to be a fisherman??

Seriously, if I read that correctly, it'll tell you the PIN for your key. But not how to disable EWS. That's what we're looking for. Knowing the key PIN does you no good if the EWS antennae fails.

Or did I miss something? Again.
Well, I'll bait the hook for you. That was just one result of many in a google search for Siemens EWS and BMW. There are a links that have applications to disable the immobilizer. SO, while this is for BMW and other brand automobiles, it is a Siemens ecu. I know the ECU Ducati uses is also used by Fiat in cars.
__________________
'Gonna get me a six pack...push people off the highway!'

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:25 PM   #2031
Poolside
Syndicated
 
Poolside's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Oddometer: 11,865

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
...some may question your actions but hey, ask NASA about redundancy. Besides, and I take FULL CREDIT for this quote:
"If it's important enough to have one, then you should have two!"
Redundancy. Which is exactly why Siemens built a manual override into the EWS/ECU, and that BMW ships from the factory.

The '247 antenna just puts you on yet another highwire, waiting for the EWS to fail again. You know you'll never really trust the system.


__________________

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:55 PM   #2032
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: NE Oregon
Oddometer: 5,283
Bluhduh OK, OK..Stop The Bull Shit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside


Redundancy. Which is exactly why Siemens built a manual override into the EWS/ECU, and that BMW ships from the factory.

The '247 antenna just puts you on yet another highwire, waiting for the EWS to fail again. You know you'll never really trust the system.

Geeeez..You and FB purvey so much crap about how the EWS system can be overriden yet fail to produce the HOW..."check here for clues'; "I will teach you to fish" ...are you folks just rattling the cage for your personal amusement?

If you have explict information on how to disable the frickin' EWS system on BMW bikes then state it; otherwise stop the phony cryptic posts.
__________________
"In Wallowas"
====================
2007 R1200GS Adventure " ...to explore off-road, alone in my case, way out in the boonies...that feeds the soul!" After 2014 BOM my bike is forthwith the "GS McGee"!
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 05:07 PM   #2033
Poolside
Syndicated
 
Poolside's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Oddometer: 11,865

Siemens and BMW. EWS override.


__________________

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 05:29 PM   #2034
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: NE Oregon
Oddometer: 5,283
Ha..Haa..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside
Siemens and BMW. EWS override.

OK I surrender..you got me..but you forgot to mention: "#247..the one before #248"..
__________________
"In Wallowas"
====================
2007 R1200GS Adventure " ...to explore off-road, alone in my case, way out in the boonies...that feeds the soul!" After 2014 BOM my bike is forthwith the "GS McGee"!
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:30 PM   #2035
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown
 
YetiGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 7,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluorescentbrown
Well, I'll bait the hook for you. That was just one result of many in a google search for Siemens EWS and BMW. There are a links that have applications to disable the immobilizer. SO, while this is for BMW and other brand automobiles, it is a Siemens ecu. I know the ECU Ducati uses is also used by Fiat in cars.
Really??

Show me ONE link that tells me how to disable my BMW motorcycle EWS. Please.




I already know how to do it in my cars.
__________________
-Scott-
Semper Fi
'04 BMW R1150GSA, '04 KTM 625 SXC
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:42 PM   #2036
Poolside
Syndicated
 
Poolside's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Oddometer: 11,865

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
Show me ONE link that tells me how to disable my BMW motorcycle EWS. Please.

I already know how to do it in my cars.
Siemens and BMW know how to input the PIN code to override the EWS on their motorcycle systems.

The EWS override function is built into the ECU by Siemens. Just like on every automobile.


__________________

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:43 PM   #2037
gary5410
Studly Adventurer
 
gary5410's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Kempton, PA
Oddometer: 609
Just picked up a spare for my ride to Alaska......$36.
__________________
'11 BMW R1200 GS Adventure '09 BMW G450 X '81 BMW R80 G/S '81 BMW R80 G/S Iron Butt #23417
My pics..... http://gary5410.smugmug.com/

And Nachtflug said, "gary5410, your bike no longer sucks. Have a cigar"
gary5410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:53 PM   #2038
GB
Mod Squad
 
GB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Oddometer: 55,848
"Pre-owned" or new? Who sells them for $36?
__________________
ADV decals, patches & flag? Here
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:58 PM   #2039
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!
 
PacWestGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: A Worldly Traveller
Oddometer: 10,866
Ya but, if I read that source correctly,,, (Siemens web tools)

I can buy a lot of worry beads for a grand (US), especially if it's something that may not ever fail. And, is covered under warranty. If I'm going to ride far from home, maybe spending less than $100 for piece-of-mind is worth it.

I think I'll take my chances and just ride the damn thing.
__________________
Russ

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. (Albert Einstein)
PacWestGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:01 PM   #2040
Poolside
Syndicated
 
Poolside's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Oddometer: 11,865

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacWestGS
Ya but, if I read that source correctly,,, (Siemens web tools)

I can buy a lot of worry beads for a grand (US), especially if it's something that may not ever fail.
The PIN code is on your plastic key.


__________________

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014