ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2008, 02:13 AM   #2056
BiG DoM
African Adventurer
 
BiG DoM's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: South Africa
Oddometer: 2,444
Bullshit
Baffles
Brains
__________________
BiG DoM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'Fuck, what a trip!'

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists.
BiG DoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:24 AM   #2057
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer
 
jpalamar's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL (Northeast FL, USA)
Oddometer: 3,080
God Forbid...

Oh my, let's just hope that the 247 fails lest this threadfest die and we'd have to go back to oil and final drives. But then again, it will not [die] because WTF in their right mind would wade through all of these pages? Which of course means someone will do a search, look at the thread starter, and post:

I was riding my 2005 R12GS through BFE and got this strange EWS on the display and the bike wouldn't start. Can anyone help????
__________________
2007 R1200GS Adv DMC Hack
2014 R1200WCGS
2014 R90T
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:24 AM   #2058
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown
 
YetiGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 7,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside


Y'all on BMW's ignore list, heh heh
Now that's funny!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen
In due course we may yet discover the means and method to our desired goal. Thus far we have learned that there IS a backdoor. But backdoors by necessity are meant to remain hidden.
No offense, but actually we have NOT learned this. People have hinted at it, said "Gee, there should be one . . ." but no one has (with back-up/proof) said that a backdoor exists for BMW motorcycles' EWS.
__________________
-Scott-
Semper Fi
'04 BMW R1150GSA, '04 KTM 625 SXC
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:11 AM   #2059
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: NE Oregon
Oddometer: 5,119
Yeti Was Kind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen
You guys do realize that there are several people who while they have access to certain 'key' info may not be in a position to just blurt it out due to various legal documents (can you say non-disclosure?) etc. They can point to and tempt many with what is not covered by the aformentioned legal documents but that isn't the same as "If you have explict information on how to disable the frickin' EWS system on BMW bikes then state it". Sometimes the factory has the flow of information (let alone the gubmint) so tightly controlled that it would bring a world of hurt down upon said individuals head, so to speak.

In due course we may yet discover the means and method to our desired goal. Thus far we have learned that there IS a backdoor. But backdoors by necessity are meant to remain hidden.

JJ
JJ,

This is the same "I could tell you then I would have to kill you" crap that we hear from PoolBoy and others...

#1 Not one shread of information specific to BMW motorcycles indicates a way to disable the EWS. Just this happy horse shit of "in due course.."

#2 If BMW is in fact sitting on a way to stop riders from becoming stranded I hope somebody sues their ass to vaporize their real or imagined profit margin from screwing those that buy their bikes.

#3 If #247 solves the antenna failures and IF the antenna failures are the source of the EWS; BMW should recall all BMW antenna numbers that have failed and replace them with #247s...that would "solve" the issue...not waiting for some poor slob to get stranded a week or year from now because they have a defective antenna that decided to die.

PLEASE stop the goofy eluding to something that you know zero about.

Odd and telling silence from BMW Dealers on this thread or speaking out about the what and why of EWS. Blurt out indeed! If they have not pressured BMW for definitive information then they are absolutely complicit with them. Neither have earned our trust.
__________________
"In Wallowas"
====================
2007 R1200GS Adventure " ...to explore off-road, alone in my case, way out in the boonies...that feeds the soul!"

Wallowa screwed with this post 06-06-2008 at 08:39 AM
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:28 AM   #2060
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!
 
PacWestGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: A Worldly Traveller
Oddometer: 10,866
Oh it's software and there is a backdoor, but I agree with JJ that is a company anti-theft secret that is like unlocking the secret ingredient in Coke-a-Cola.

Oh wait that secret got out once and it has never tasted as good as the original.

Who stole the coke in Coke?


I'm all for solving the $64,000 question but not at the cost of higher insurance, possible theft of my beloved beemer, or some other codec that causes other related gremlins to show up.

Insurance (piece-of-mind) for those that really need it, is apparently an $82.00 spare antenna. For the masses that bought a GS (BMW) for local exploration and commuting near home or other BMW service centers throughout the world - if it doesn't fail under the warranty period (3/36K) it's probably not going to fail and replacing it or carrying an extra is probably a complete waste of money and resources. Same goes for the fuel pump modulator/relay.

Now, where are my worry beads?
__________________
Russ

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. (Albert Einstein)
PacWestGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:31 AM   #2061
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer
 
jpalamar's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL (Northeast FL, USA)
Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
JJ,

This is the same "I could tell you then I would have to kill you" crap that we hear from PoolBoy and others...
Phil, FWIW, my personal opinion is that there's no 'pre-programmed' backdoor. But, so what? Eventually someone will figure it out or the newer models will give the owner some code/pin to disengage. Everything in today's day/age governed not by DO WHAT'S RIGHT but economics, risk-probability (lawsuits) money, etc. etc. Why are you so surprised? Am I to presume you have a spare antenna ring (247) and I know you know how to hook it up. Hell, these are just the BS items we have to deal with when dealing with advanced technology and the joy of riding a BMW . Hell, my wife's older MB ML500 would not start and locked the xmission in park because of some goofy backup light sensor that failed to report to the 'computer' properly. I agree lots of speculation on all of this with little or no fact tho'.

Relax, enjoy the upcoming weekend.
__________________
2007 R1200GS Adv DMC Hack
2014 R1200WCGS
2014 R90T
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:33 AM   #2062
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer
 
jpalamar's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL (Northeast FL, USA)
Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacWestGS
Oh it's software and there is a backdoor, but I agree with JJ that is a company anti-theft secret that is like unlocking the secret ingredient in Coke-a-Cola.

Oh wait that secret got out once and it has never tasted as good as the original.
Hell with Coke, how about the non-transfat KFC!
__________________
2007 R1200GS Adv DMC Hack
2014 R1200WCGS
2014 R90T
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:19 AM   #2063
SRhooter
SRhooter
 
SRhooter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Derby, KS
Oddometer: 15
$82 for a ring antenna? Engel Motors sold me a spare for $153. Of course they gave me the replacement one (under warranty) for free. After getting stranded out in the flatlands, you get a good deal like that.
SRhooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:38 AM   #2064
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer
 
jpalamar's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL (Northeast FL, USA)
Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRhooter
$82 for a ring antenna? Engel Motors sold me a spare for $153. Of course they gave me the replacement one (under warranty) for free. After getting stranded out in the flatlands, you get a good deal like that.
The price was reduced on the one ending in 247. My presumption is the old inventory worthless and they are trying to recoup their money??? Wrong!
__________________
2007 R1200GS Adv DMC Hack
2014 R1200WCGS
2014 R90T
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:03 AM   #2065
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: marietta, ga.
Oddometer: 4,139
Someone just posted on bmwst that Max has the 247 for under $40.
__________________
ride till you can't.
1200GS/black
Boxer Cup Replika/red-white-blue

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:49 AM   #2066
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: NE Oregon
Oddometer: 5,119
Explain This? Why Now So Inexpensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty hill
Someone just posted on bmwst that Max has the 247 for under $40.
OK...how the hell come the price of the supposedly "correct/fixed" antenna has dropped so much below previous iteration? If you know please clearly state the reason... and please no wise ass answers that talk a lot and say nothing with references to an ambiguous article or web site.

Thanks..
__________________
"In Wallowas"
====================
2007 R1200GS Adventure " ...to explore off-road, alone in my case, way out in the boonies...that feeds the soul!"
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:45 PM   #2067
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
OK...how the hell come the price of the supposedly "correct/fixed" antenna has dropped so much below previous iteration? If you know please clearly state the reason... and please no wise ass answers that talk a lot and say nothing with references to an ambiguous article or web site.

Thanks..


Jim

PS I am sure glad I have the Beta model!
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:56 PM   #2068
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!
 
PacWestGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: A Worldly Traveller
Oddometer: 10,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
OK...how the hell come the price of the supposedly "correct/fixed" antenna has dropped so much below previous iteration? If you know please clearly state the reason... and please no wise ass answers that talk a lot and say nothing with references to an ambiguous article or web site.

Thanks..
I'll bet there was mad rush by 300,000 owners that flooded their dealerships with orders for the magic pill and then when told they were on backorder the manufacture pumped out an extra 100,000 unsold units (widgets) and then everyone stopped reading web forums and cancelled their order leaving a mass of ununsed/unsold widgets.

They're hoping to sell the excess widgets at a loss to clear stocks for the new and improved 248 which is supposed to fix any problems with the 247...
















__________________
Russ

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. (Albert Einstein)
PacWestGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:13 PM   #2069
Phred
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Southeast, PA
Oddometer: 128
My 08GSA came with a 207-01...so I now have a 247 in my bag since I have an upcoming trip.
__________________
____________________________

2009 Metallic Silver Honda Goldwing
2008 Magnesium Metallic BMW R1200GSA
2007 Silver Flamed Yamaha Roadstar 1700
Phred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:44 PM   #2070
Poolside
Syndicated
 
Poolside's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Oddometer: 11,736

The immobilizer has a manual override. They all do. It is for authorized users. Authorized users include the owner, anyone with permission to use or work on the vehicle, etc.

All original equipment electronics firms that supply immobilizers to auto makers build in a manual override for authorized users. Siemens built in a manual override.

The information about manual override is only a few court judgments away. In the same way, various states passed laws forcing auto makers to release information about their immobilizer security protocol, to authorized users.


__________________

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014