Old 06-12-2008, 05:17 PM   #2176
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Are the Dealers Part of the Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Thanks for the pictorial..

official recall in Eire and Oz... nothing here yet..
Not necessarily what everyone wants to hear/see, but based upon my experiences with BMW Daytona:
1. There is no fault code to report
2. Dealer is free [permitted] to make a discretionary change based upon customer's reporting failure [if intermitten] and dealer is still eligible for warranty and part reimbursement
3. Obviously, a failure [continued] would not be questioned and warranty work will proceed

And while reporting an intermittent failure may not be considered 'honest' if in fact there has been no failure, certainly seems NO WORSE than BMW's not addressing the issue with a true worldwide recall.

Has anyone actually been denied a new ring antenna/warranty service by an authorized dealer that has reported an intermittent ring antenna/EWS failure?
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:29 PM   #2177
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Damn John I Like It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
Not necessarily what everyone wants to hear/see, but based upon my experiences with BMW Daytona:
1. There is no fault code to report
2. Dealer is free [permitted] to make a discretionary change based upon customer's reporting failure [if intermitten] and dealer is still eligible for warranty and part reimbursement
3. Obviously, a failure [continued] would not be questioned and warranty work will proceed

And while reporting an intermittent failure may not be considered 'honest' if in fact there has been no failure, certainly seems NO WORSE than BMW's not addressing the issue with a true worldwide recall.

Has anyone actually been denied a new ring antenna/warranty service by an authorized dealer that has reported an intermittent ring antenna/EWS failure?
Devious to be certain...but I like it!

Oh yes, I believe the recall is in UK, Norway and Finnland also..perhaps BMW is subscribing to the "Long Way Round" recall theory...could not resist.
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:36 PM   #2178
buttsoirl
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Ews

well John

that post was there for people like me who have had the failure in a remote place and need to either patch the problem, or like me replace the part instead of having to keep the two keys on you and worry about vibration failure of the new A.R.. so it is necessary to see and hear for others

and in answer to your question, I was fobbed off by BMW las vegas, and BMW anchorage on this issue. BMW Las vegas when I reported an intermittent failure (two weeks before total failure) told me it was a "loose connection" and the error fault had been cleared from the ECU, they REFUSED to do the warranty work stating differences in markets. I got a copy of the work carried out and their "fix" for the EWS error

I used this information and contacted my dealer who brought it up with BMW motorrad european manager, she said that the excuse I have been given for the error was complete bull just to fob me off. that this issue has been floating around for a long time and that they all know about it
The dealer in turn forwarded me a copy of the offical email from BMW stating they are undertaking a full BMW authorized recall of the faulty parts in question and the work to be carried out as soon as customers can bring in their machines.

but this recall does not apply to BMW north america who have yet to recognise and authorize a recall. but the Many countries in europe already have. maybe budget reasons are in play.. who can know

when I return home, BMW are going to replace my Antenna ring again and double check all the work on the bike as part of this recall...
buttsoirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:05 PM   #2179
travellin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
A pic of the 'box' near the key on my updated 08 GSA - you can see the part number here.
Attached Images

travellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:23 PM   #2180
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Hmmm..Could Explain The Deafening Silence..

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttsoirl
well John

that post was there for people like me who have had the failure in a remote place and need to either patch the problem, or like me replace the part instead of having to keep the two keys on you and worry about vibration failure of the new A.R.. so it is necessary to see and hear for others

and in answer to your question, I was fobbed off by BMW las vegas, and BMW anchorage on this issue. BMW Las vegas when I reported an intermittent failure (two weeks before total failure) told me it was a "loose connection" and the error fault had been cleared from the ECU, they REFUSED to do the warranty work stating differences in markets. I got a copy of the work carried out and their "fix" for the EWS error

I used this information and contacted my dealer who brought it up with BMW motorrad european manager, she said that the excuse I have been given for the error was complete bull just to fob me off. that this issue has been floating around for a long time and that they all know about it
The dealer in turn forwarded me a copy of the offical email from BMW stating they are undertaking a full BMW authorized recall of the faulty parts in question and the work to be carried out as soon as customers can bring in their machines.

but this recall does not apply to BMW north america who have yet to recognise and authorize a recall. but the Many countries in europe already have. maybe budget reasons are in play.. who can know

when I return home, BMW are going to replace my Antenna ring again and double check all the work on the bike as part of this recall...
You don't live in NA? Anyway thanks for download of info...wonder why BMW can't require their representative in USA..BMWNA..to honor the recall?
Old 06-12-2008, 09:12 PM   #2181
sunandsand
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
08 GSA 320 miles and EWA

I just had to chime in and add another 08 GSA to the list of EWS failures and left me calling for a ride....
sunandsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:37 PM   #2182
onesaintsfan
BigJohnHart

Oddometer: 1,276
Thumbs down Ouch ?

Wonder if my new 08 R1200GSA-ADV that is going to be built next month will have a new and improved EWS? or will the be building with the same or current part number?

2009 Triumph Speed Triple "the mistress"
2008 BMW R1200GSA Mary Jane
2005 Chaparral 210ssi " Native Sun II "
onesaintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:33 AM   #2183
Ateesman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Waited a month to get . . a 207

After waiting over a month to get my 07 into the shop to "fix" my intermittent EWS problem, I was so happy when they told me that they were going to go ahead and replace the antennae ring even though I had been able to ride the bike in.

Then, I walk out and find a nice "new" part # 207 on the bike.

So - Looks like I better join the club and try to find a 247 to carry as a spare (along with a spare key, and a torx and a . . . )!

I really didn't care for the 4 hour tow truck ride home last time, even if BMW roadside assistance did pay for it.

Paul

"God made man - but a monkey supplied the glue" - Devo
Ateesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:11 AM   #2184
SeanFromTX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Add my 07 GSA to this thread of shame. 5800 miles since February 18th and some piece of shit antenna ring won't let my bike start. WTF! I better not make any final drive threads. you antenna designer wherever you are.

03 ZRX1200
99 Ducati 748
07 R1200GS Adv
00 Honda CR125R
04 Honda CR150F
SeanFromTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:41 AM   #2185
Exurban
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttsoirl
hi all,

have a 07 GSA, got the EWS (engine wont start ) intermittently then complete failure in the middle of nowhere ( I am convinced a guy in germany has a switch that they flick to kill these parts only when you are 900 miles from anything.
had a part flown to me to get me running.. now we did use the bodge of removing the clip from the back and tie strapping the spare to the headstock.. which worked and got the bike running again.. but due to vibration concerns I wanted to wip it out and replace the faulty one.. so here are a few pics of the operation we did at our hotel using a few borrowed tools

1) remove beak and side panels
2) undo horn nut
3) undo main steering nut, using rachet and alan key
4) undo Shock nuts, turn headstock to right or left to remove
5) cut a few tie straps for the cables
6) Drill out main anti tamper self tapping tops on underside of steering yoke
7) replace with bolts
8) redo all of the above.. it took about 1 hour to complete this work at the side of the road... (with help from local chap with drill of course)

if you are near your dealer you are grand, but we had to do this for piece of mind...

got an email from my dealer in ireland, BMW have offically issued a recall at home for all these bikes to get the Antenna ring replaced.

hope any of you with this get it sorted..
Was it really necessary to remove everything to replace it? Had my dealer drill out the bolts and he didn't remove anything to do that. I assumed removal of the antenna would be a matter of dropping from the bottom of the triple tree. Did you have to remove it to get at the steering lock and ignitioin in order to replace the antenna, or did it just give you more room to work?
Exurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:47 AM   #2186
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesaintsfan
Wonder if my new 08 R1200GSA-ADV that is going to be built next month will have a new and improved EWS? or will the be building with the same or current part number?
yours will have the newest part number which ends in 247, which allegedly has solved the problem, whatever that was...
Old 06-13-2008, 05:59 AM   #2187
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,682

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateesman
Then, I walk out and find a nice "new" part # 207 on the bike.
At least you didn't get the dreaded '205 part.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:27 AM   #2188
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Anyone Know This Person?

I have an appointment to call and talk to this person about the EWS/antenna issues Monday..does anyone know him and where he fits into the BMW scheme? Hope he is not just a "phone answerer".

Jay Williams
BMW Motorrad USA

Thanks...
Old 06-13-2008, 11:40 AM   #2189
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
I have an appointment to call and talk to this person about the EWS/antenna issues Monday..does anyone know him and where he fits into the BMW scheme? Hope he is not just a "phone answerer".

Jay Williams
BMW Motorrad USA

Thanks...
Hard to tell what he's going to be Phil. I'd say the name appears familiar, but not sure. But, also seems that those talking directly to BMW these days and/or as of late are not getting the party line 'talk to your dealer' or worse, 'we have no reports of this part failing...blah, blahs'. Interesting to me Phil will be what you expect (like I can't guess, huh) and what the response is. Presume you will post your conversation? Have a good weekend!
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:45 AM   #2190
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa

Jay Williams
BMW Motorrad USA

Thanks...
Phone answerer appears to be exactly what he is. Use the "search this thread" feature and his name comes up a few times on form letters received from BMWNA.

Hope it goes well, but ... keep your expectations low
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote