0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-25-2008, 09:19 PM   #2461
PapaSmurf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racegun
many of us said the same thing. Just dont ride a GS. Cause if you do, you will join us in our joy and sorrow ( if you expericence a FD failure or EWS).
THere is realy good news. GB is correct. There are no bikes or cars that do not have problems ( some percentage). The internet makes it look worse than it is. BMW atlanta was right. Ride and enjoy. To be honest, if you do not own a BMW and ride it, you will miss our on a tremendous motorcycle.
Look at it like this. Goldwings and Susuki had frame problems..ie crack in-half! You can not fix that on the side of the road. Many Goldwings have a serious front end instability. Scary as hell! The list goes on. Many makes have far more serious and dangerous problems. We are suffering ( to a small degree) because BMW incorporated the lastest and hopefully the best technology. The RA is a good idea as far as keeping bike from being stolen. Theifs know its useless...unless the plan on parting out the machine. BMW gave us servo brakes. After to many problems and many many complaints, they stopped building bikes w/ servo assist. If this RA & EWS continues, BMW will make changes. They did make changes w/ regard to the FD. Like so many have said. If all I need to carry is a $36 RA that can be plugged in at anylocaton in less than 5 mins.... then in the overall scheme of things...LIFE IS GOOD and the GS is AWESOME. Let not your heart be troubled. Ride a GS or whatever BMW you like. If you do like, buy and ride. Realy, no need to come here and make a post, rub our noses in the bad news. You wont hurt our feelings, we wont get rid of our BMW's and we WILL RIDE! Once you ride one for 20,000 miles, I bet you a steak dinner you will love the mark as much as we do. If you buy one and ride it for 20,000 miles, and dont like it..let me know. I will mail you a crisp $100.00 bill!

nuff said and go in peace!
You left out Victory Motorcycles. The first 3 years they made bikes with faulty tranny's! When the Gov't finally got involved. Victory"s reply was, the tranny had been built with a 30,000 mile life expectency. After further hounding by the owners. Victory relented and gave those that had it fail after warranty, $750. What a joke. Tom
PapaSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:28 PM   #2462
CarSalesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
RE a roadside repair.... My EWS hasn't failed, but I did remove the wiring cover, and test with a spare that I carry. I was able to lay the spare antenna ring over top of the installed original, so that the round ring is on top, while still being plugged in at the bottom. Inserting the key into the ignition, it goes through the attached spare antenna ring (besides the original). Bike started right up.

Point is - I don't see why you need to carry a second key.
CarSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:44 PM   #2463
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer: 10,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
We are all trying to resolve a really shitty problem that can not just ruin the enjoyment of a ride but can kill a rider. As stated a zillion times where and when you get stranded with an immobilized ignition can pose a very real threat to your life...
Phil, I'm really trying to wrap my mind around this concept. Granted, being possibly at the absolute worst ~ 200 miles from somewhere, and your bike doesn't restart after shutting it off, that could be a bad thing in say Africa or the Amazon. But who is really going to go there alone? And if they do, they should darn well have planned for something else that could happen along the way, don't you think?

If someone dies from dehydration, hypothermia, starvation, or an animal attack - all alone, because of an EWS failure they were probably in over their head to begin with... And should have planned better.

I'm sure BMW or any brand would feel bad after that one, but they, like any other manufacture is not really responsible for how someone uses the product. > 98% of these machines will probably never leave the major roads of their perspective countries, and rescue or road side services and they are betting on that...

This isn't an attack on you or your opinion, I just feel that people are over-blowing the hazards of something that won't start again or the next time.

JMHO

YMMV (literally)

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. (Albert Einstein)
PacWestGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:04 PM   #2464
Flash1034
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
How commom is EWS Failure on newer bikes?

I thought that the EWS failures were only on bikes equipped with the factory alarm. Apparently that is not correct. I assume my non-alarmed 08 GS Adventure has the EWS piece that has been failing. I have not had a problem but should I be concerned?

Thanks,

Flash
Flash1034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:22 PM   #2465
Opus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Did you check out the EWS failure thread, you can spend hours reading up on it. Your bike has an EWS antenna, so it could fail, I don't think anyone has posted a failure of the newer antenna part # ends in 247. But since the cause of the failure seems to be unknown or BMW isn't telling there is some possibility your bike could be affected, either carry a spare or figure statistically it is unlikely. It does seem to happen in the first few thousand miles.

Opus
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:51 PM   #2466
Flash1034
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Thanks for the info, Opus. I really appreciate it.

Flash
Flash1034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:57 PM   #2467
Litre
AKA JimiChanga

Oddometer: 412
Although the poll on the EWS threadfest is closed, I thought I remember seeing about 5% of 1200s actually having the failure. Not a miniscule margin, but the odds are in our favor. That being said, I'm still going to carry a 247 antenna ring with me.

- 2008 BMW R1200GS Adventure: Mine
- 2003 BMW F650GS: Hers
Litre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:57 PM   #2468
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,342
Are there any warning signs?

I notice that my GSA (08, ~600 mi) about a quarter of the time doesn't respond to the starter button. I have to turn the ignition back off and on before it will start.
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:21 PM   #2469
Lottahops
Lottahops

Oddometer: 173
EWS failure

It seems that EWS failure is totally random. I was at the local BMW shop this weekend in Vegas and there was a rider from Washington getting his ring replaced. Who is to say when and if it will ever fail. I suppose it may be a good idea if you are in the middle of nowhere for an extended period of time or just want to be prepared to have a spare. It seems easy enough to replace. There are threads on bypassing it, I would rather keep it as stock as possible, I would go with a spare.

Lottahops

VicSternberg Jr.
Las Vegas, NV

07' GSA
Lottahops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:27 AM   #2470
onesaintsfan
BigJohnHart

Oddometer: 1,294
Diagnostic Cable Request

Tried to order the diagnostic cable the Heldge spoke of in his DVD, but they have no idea what I am talking about

So I guess thats good to know that you can do the antenna like that.
2005 Chaparral 210ssi " Native Sun II "
onesaintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:37 AM   #2471
onesaintsfan
BigJohnHart

Oddometer: 1,294
Un-Luckest BMW Owner in existance

Hey one things for sure. When I get my new 08 ( 2 weeks ) if anythings going to fail it will fail with me! So use me as your measuring stick
2005 Chaparral 210ssi " Native Sun II "
onesaintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:39 AM   #2472
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,351
Seems to average about every 8th start.

Just kidding. Nobody really knows.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:21 AM   #2473
Dirt Diver
Dirty Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Just had 247 part installed at BMW under warranty.

Also they updated the software for the computer and said my fuel gauge should work properly now!

I asked how much a spare 247 would cost, the reply - AUD$175

So I'm glad it has been done under warranty.

Here's to hoping the bike doesn't leave me stranded again!

01 VFR800 Sold and missed.
Adventurers like it dirty!
Dirt Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:34 AM   #2474
pelham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
BMW has finally issued a recall on the antenna (why did it take them so long!!!)...get yours changed...and hope they got it right this time.. :-)
Old 06-26-2008, 06:48 AM   #2475
hogmolly
Dude

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelham
BMW has finally issued a recall on the antenna (why did it take them so long!!!)...get yours changed...and hope they got it right this time.. :-)
How do you know this?

Thanks