Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2008, 05:58 AM   #2476
tpresten
RideUmAll

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbloc
Are there any warning signs?

I notice that my GSA (08, ~600 mi) about a quarter of the time doesn't respond to the starter button. I have to turn the ignition back off and on before it will start.
Not one warning sign...other than the fact that if you look at your antenna part number and it is not a 247 there is a good chance it will fail. Consider this post a warning. I also warn against ever riding a GS "to see if you like it" because once you do you will put up with unimaginable amounts of heartache and frustration as it will continually have things go wrong that are expensive to repair. IMO, of course.
tpresten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:22 AM   #2477
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,132
Has anyone received a new bike with a 247 yet? I saw two '08 Adventures last weekend, purchased essentially at the same time, and one had a 207 and one had a 136.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:34 AM   #2478
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,437
Cool2

Hey Eastbloc, I have 630 miles on my 08GSA and I have ha that same thing happen sveral times...Is it normal for these bikes not to start half the time when the key is first turned on, I let the idiot lights go through there sequences...
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:34 AM   #2479
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:

I notice that my GSA (08, ~600 mi) about a quarter of the time doesn't respond to the starter button. I have to turn the ignition back off and on before it will start.
If you are used to starting the engine in gear, but with the clutch pulled in, then the clutch has to be pulled in AFTER you turn on the key.
Just a thought on your experience...
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:40 AM   #2480
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesaintsfan
Tried to order the diagnostic cable the Heldge spoke of in his DVD, but they have no idea what I am talking about

So I guess thats good to know that you can do the antenna like that.
The part # is 83 30 0 402 327 and costs around $150 MSRP. It is part of the cable shipment with the GT-1 diagnostic computer (and is a BMW tool and can be ordered separately).
RA & MOA #224

cjack screwed with this post 06-26-2008 at 06:55 AM
Old 06-26-2008, 06:42 AM   #2481
Hi-zoot
Living for the Weekend

Oddometer: 244
Ever pull into a gas station , only to realize you may be in a very bad neighborhood? ...Ever go exploring out in Big Bend NP ?no cell signal, very remote areas? What happens if you realize you need to get to the doctor right away ,out in these remote areas...and you get EWS? I can think of a few times that having EWS could have been dangerous for me...and I ride maybe 8000 miles a year. Fortunately mine occurred halfway to Big Bend in a lonely one store town that had cell service. It dont have to be Africa.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacWestGS
Phil, I'm really trying to wrap my mind around this concept. Granted, being possibly at the absolute worst ~ 200 miles from somewhere, and your bike doesn't restart after shutting it off, that could be a bad thing in say Africa or the Amazon. But who is really going to go there alone? And if they do, they should darn well have planned for something else that could happen along the way, don't you think?

If someone dies from dehydration, hypothermia, starvation, or an animal attack - all alone, because of an EWS failure they were probably in over their head to begin with... And should have planned better.

I'm sure BMW or any brand would feel bad after that one, but they, like any other manufacture is not really responsible for how someone uses the product. > 98% of these machines will probably never leave the major roads of their perspective countries, and rescue or road side services and they are betting on that...

This isn't an attack on you or your opinion, I just feel that people are over-blowing the hazards of something that won't start again or the next time.

JMHO

YMMV (literally)
Hi-zoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:42 AM   #2482
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader
Has anyone received a new bike with a 247 yet? I saw two '08 Adventures last weekend, purchased essentially at the same time, and one had a 207 and one had a 136.
We got a factory lowered R1200GS with the 247 ring. I think it was made in March '08
RA & MOA #224
Old 06-26-2008, 06:44 AM   #2483
mrmaico
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack
If you are used to starting the engine in gear, but with the clutch pulled in, then the clutch has to be pulled in AFTER you turn on the key.
Just a thought on your experience...
+1 Next time it happens just release the clutch and pull it back in rather than shutting the ignition off. I'd bet that's what it is, happened to me a few times when I first got my bike.

Barry
mrmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:52 AM   #2484
tpresten
RideUmAll

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
My 2008 came with a 207 but I purchased it early (April) before the 247 even existed so I guess I should have waited for the "gold" coded and soldered up tight 247 before I got so giddy and bought this motorsickle. Tell the guys with the 207 and 136 to go ahead and get them warrantied or they will need a ride one day. At this point we can only laugh at the brand since this is the biggest joke I have ever seen a manufacturer put over on its consumers. We are dumb sheep and deserve to be slaughtered. The downturn of the economy will straighten some of this silliness out when people cannot afford these luxury items and have to buy motorcycles that work like a V-Strom or something. Bring on the $7 a gallon gas I say and then maybe this thread will close.
tpresten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:06 AM   #2485
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Nope, I saw a new RT this week and it had the 207 part #.

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:14 AM   #2486
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,692
Quote:

If you are not getting EWS that is likely the clutch switch is not adjusted correctly.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:15 AM   #2487
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
"have to buy motorcycles that work like a V-Strom or something."

Hehe, I have a 2007DL650ABS that I was considering selling to get a 1200 RT to add to my existing ST1300ABS since all my riding is hignway miles and or LD trips. The 650abs is such a comfy bike with enough pep and ultra reliable so far that I just choose to not make this switch right now. I am actually more concerned with no known changes to the BMW FD assembly than the antenna ring which I think will get sorted out (hopefully) since seems BMW is trying to do that. Even going back to the 1150s I never read of any FD alterations to make them as reliable as the Japanese models, and I still don't read of it regarding the 1200 series. So far, I can't bring myself to drink the Kool Aid but have been known to stick my head in the sand before so could happen, .

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:18 AM   #2488
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-zoot
Ever pull into a gas station , only to realize you may be in a very bad neighborhood? ...Ever go exploring out in Big Bend NP ?no cell signal, very remote areas? What happens if you realize you need to get to the doctor right away ,out in these remote areas...and you get EWS? I can think of a few times that having EWS could have been dangerous for me...and I ride maybe 8000 miles a year. Fortunately mine occurred halfway to Big Bend in a lonely one store town that had cell service. It dont have to be Africa.......
Bad examples. You can kill your bike/self a million ways in any of those situations. Fact is, the EWS is not like a brake system. If it goes out you are not moving when it happens.

You can easily come up with scenarios where this could really ruin your day, but the fact is there are a lot more likely ways you can be killed on your bike than stopping for gas in a bad neighborhood, which is not too bright in the first place.

Jim

PS I am NOT defending BMW, but let's try to be realistic here.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:20 AM   #2489
PapaSmurf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack
We got a factory lowered R1200GS with the 247 ring. I think it was made in March '08
I also have a new GS Low. How can you tell the ring number? Tom
PapaSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:24 AM   #2490
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf
I also have a new GS Low. How can you tell the ring number? Tom

Right below the key on the front of the unit.

Jim