ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2008, 05:43 AM   #2626
ylexot
Super Genius
 
ylexot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: St Inigoes, MD
Oddometer: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOLAHS
Hi Jim, Well i had my annual service on an 07 1200GS with 4700Kms, and a recall of the brake and they also changed the EWS because they'd been told it could leave you stranded !!! The replacement wouldn't fail !!! Well i left the dealer just before closing time and rode to my shopping centre, 5kms away and when i went to leave the engine just started and died, everything stone dead, nothing. Having followed this thread i tried after 15 mins, 1 hour 90mins to no avail. Meantime i tried BMW Roadside Assist who transferred me to Mondial who took some convincing this was not something a mechanic was going to fix, kept talking about jump starting etc. Eventually BMW R/S Assist agreed to send a tow truck, so tomorrow morning at 8am it will be back at the dealer. I'll keep you informed of developments.
"engine just started and died, everything stone dead, nothing" is not an EWS failure. If the ring antenna fails, you wouldn't get to the point of the engine starting at all.
ylexot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:04 AM   #2627
Ziptie
Second most favorite tool
 
Ziptie's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: DFW, Tx
Oddometer: 53
EWS antecdotal info

Just spoke to BMW of Fort Worth and they are saying that the EWS is now an official recall. They have the parts on hand and are scheduling bikes for replacements. Sorry, I didn't get the recall number.
Ziptie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:49 AM   #2628
Gazza
Adventurer
 
Gazza's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: Nottingham England
Oddometer: 71
Got the dreaded EWS while is Spain last year. 06 GSA 3k miles. BMW flew me home and shipped the bike home a week later. No compensation for the lose of a weeks holiday in Morocco though.
Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:50 PM   #2629
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz
 
PRW's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza
Got the dreaded EWS while is Spain last year. 06 GSA 3k miles. BMW flew me home and shipped the bike home a week later. No compensation for the lose of a weeks holiday in Morocco though.
Man, you're brave brother. I don't think I would have had the gonads to leave my bike in Morocco AND rely on some unknown entity over there to ship my baby back to me in a different country. Glad everything worked out!
__________________
When Im riding my motorcycle, Im glad to be alive and when I stop riding my motorcycle, Im glad to be alive. -Neil Peart

2008 R1200GS (Slate Gray Metallic Matt)
2003 R1150GS (Night Black)
PRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:39 PM   #2630
Burnszilla
BurnsMoto.com
 
Burnszilla's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Redwood City, California
Oddometer: 1,322
My GS is in the shop today getting the TSB done.
Burnszilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:54 PM   #2631
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 1,521
Mine goes in on the 9th -- two days before I head out to get silly in the Rockies for a while.

The Service Advisor told me that he was, in effect, at least as confident in the -247 being the fix as he was that any of the previous iterations were....

My thoughts exactly.

Also, I finally sent my certified, return-receipt requested snail mail letter to the CEO of BMW Holding Group USA (his 1st official day on the job: today).

I had received a marketing piece about the newest "Unstoppable" GS bikes. I figured I had to comment ....
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:03 PM   #2632
Burnszilla
BurnsMoto.com
 
Burnszilla's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Redwood City, California
Oddometer: 1,322
It would be nice to get my old 'working" antenna back for backup, but I doubt that will happen.
Burnszilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:05 PM   #2633
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer
 
jpalamar's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL (Northeast FL, USA)
Oddometer: 3,080
6000 Miles On 47 Antenna Ring...seems OK

While I last minute opted to take the '08 RT on the whirlwind 6,000 mile trip, as a reminder, this RT had the EWS error at 600+ miles. New antenna ring installed prior to trip: did 6,000 miles on the RT and no EWS errors. Since I've been away I haven't been up to date on this thread.

Has anyone reported a failed ring with the new 247 part?
__________________
2007 R1200GS Adv DMC Hack
2014 R1200WCGS
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:33 PM   #2634
Poolside
Syndicated
 
Poolside's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Oddometer: 11,824

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
While I last minute opted to take the '08 RT on the whirlwind 6,000 mile trip, as a reminder, this RT had the EWS error at 600+ miles. New antenna ring installed prior to trip: did 6,000 miles on the RT and no EWS errors. Since I've been away I haven't been up to date on this thread.

Has anyone reported a failed ring with the new 247 part?
A couple of people did, John. But who knows if it's true? There isn't really a significant number of EWS failures. Just like there isn't a secure PIN-based manual override.

This whole recall thing is unnecessary, heh heh. There's no problem. Why is BMW even doing it?

- Jim


__________________

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:29 PM   #2635
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: NE Oregon
Oddometer: 5,205
One More Time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
My GS is in the shop today getting the TSB done.
Hey..has BMW in fact sent out a TSB directing dealers to replaces the VIN identified antenna? Lots of activity...but no confirmation [copy of TSB/Campaign Order/Surly Recall...] has been posted...

Can someone post the actual order to replace antenna from BMW?

Thanks..

Ps..My #247 antenna arrives tomorrow thanks to Gregg at MAX...not that I don't trust my bike mind you!
__________________
"In Wallowas"
====================
2007 R1200GS Adventure " ...to explore off-road, alone in my case, way out in the boonies...that feeds the soul!"
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:00 AM   #2636
MOLAHS
Sisyphus
 
MOLAHS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Brisbane
Oddometer: 1,650
NO EWS Failure---A battery cell failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOLAHS
Hi Jim, Well i had my annual service on an 07 1200GS with 4700Kms, and a recall of the brake and they also changed the EWS because they'd been told it could leave you stranded !!! The replacement wouldn't fail !!! Well i left the dealer just before closing time and rode to my shopping centre, 5kms away and when i went to leave the engine just started and died, everything stone dead, nothing. Having followed this thread i tried after 15 mins, 1 hour 90mins to no avail. Meantime i tried BMW Roadside Assist who transferred me to Mondial who took some convincing this was not something a mechanic was going to fix, kept talking about jump starting etc. Eventually BMW R/S Assist agreed to send a tow truck, so tomorrow morning at 8am it will be back at the dealer. I'll keep you informed of developments.
Shows how easy it is to jump to the wrong conclusion, sorry mates for leading you up the wrong trail.
MOLAHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:04 AM   #2637
rcliffor
Gnarly Adventurer
 
rcliffor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: CDA, Idaho
Oddometer: 122
straight skinny...

OK...I decided to go to the dealership service manager to get the staight skinny on the antenna ring "recall". He said that he had been too busy to read all of his mail from BMW so he didn't know for sure what they were doing.?????

He also said that they are replacing their first failed antenna ring this week.
rcliffor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:35 AM   #2638
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: NE Oregon
Oddometer: 5,205
What Dealer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcliffor
OK...I decided to go to the dealership service manager to get the staight skinny on the antenna ring "recall". He said that he had been too busy to read all of his mail from BMW so he didn't know for sure what they were doing.?????

He also said that they are replacing their first failed antenna ring this week.
Since we live just across the river [Snake] from you and I plan to ride up and down that area in Aug.....what dealer? Didn't have the time to check announcements from BMW! Is there another dealer you could recommend.
__________________
"In Wallowas"
====================
2007 R1200GS Adventure " ...to explore off-road, alone in my case, way out in the boonies...that feeds the soul!"
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:01 PM   #2639
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: NE Oregon
Oddometer: 5,205
Just Got Spare #247

Just got my spare antenna...a couple of things.

First the part number is as advertized: 61 35 7 705 247.

Next is says "Made in Belgium"

Where the previous antenna made in Belgium and what is the company?

Ps.. Cost $36.67.
__________________
"In Wallowas"
====================
2007 R1200GS Adventure " ...to explore off-road, alone in my case, way out in the boonies...that feeds the soul!"
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:07 PM   #2640
whisperquiet
Studly Adventurer
 
whisperquiet's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: 62298 in lovely corrupt/bankrupt Southern Illinois
Oddometer: 889
I picked up a spare "247" antenna ring for my '07 GSA today....$39.50 with tax and it says Made in Germany on the box. Next step......drill out the one way screws holding it and the ignition switch to the triple tree so they can be replaced with quickly removed screws.
whisperquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014