0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-01-2008, 05:43 AM   #2626
ylexot
Super Genius

Oddometer: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOLAHS
Hi Jim, Well i had my annual service on an 07 1200GS with 4700Kms, and a recall of the brake and they also changed the EWS because they'd been told it could leave you stranded !!! The replacement wouldn't fail !!! Well i left the dealer just before closing time and rode to my shopping centre, 5kms away and when i went to leave the engine just started and died, everything stone dead, nothing. Having followed this thread i tried after 15 mins, 1 hour 90mins to no avail. Meantime i tried BMW Roadside Assist who transferred me to Mondial who took some convincing this was not something a mechanic was going to fix, kept talking about jump starting etc. Eventually BMW R/S Assist agreed to send a tow truck, so tomorrow morning at 8am it will be back at the dealer. I'll keep you informed of developments.
"engine just started and died, everything stone dead, nothing" is not an EWS failure. If the ring antenna fails, you wouldn't get to the point of the engine starting at all.
ylexot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:04 AM   #2627
Ziptie
Second most favorite tool

Oddometer: 53
EWS antecdotal info

Just spoke to BMW of Fort Worth and they are saying that the EWS is now an official recall. They have the parts on hand and are scheduling bikes for replacements. Sorry, I didn't get the recall number.
Ziptie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:49 AM   #2628
Gazza
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Got the dreaded EWS while is Spain last year. 06 GSA 3k miles. BMW flew me home and shipped the bike home a week later. No compensation for the lose of a weeks holiday in Morocco though.
Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:50 PM   #2629
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza
Got the dreaded EWS while is Spain last year. 06 GSA 3k miles. BMW flew me home and shipped the bike home a week later. No compensation for the lose of a weeks holiday in Morocco though.
Man, you're brave brother. I don't think I would have had the gonads to leave my bike in Morocco AND rely on some unknown entity over there to ship my baby back to me in a different country. Glad everything worked out!

2008 R1200GS (Slate Gray Metallic Matt)
2003 R1150GS (Night Black)
PRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:39 PM   #2630
Burnszilla
BurnsMoto.com

Oddometer: 1,322
My GS is in the shop today getting the TSB done.
Burnszilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:54 PM   #2631
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Mine goes in on the 9th -- two days before I head out to get silly in the Rockies for a while.

The Service Advisor told me that he was, in effect, at least as confident in the -247 being the fix as he was that any of the previous iterations were....

My thoughts exactly.

Also, I finally sent my certified, return-receipt requested snail mail letter to the CEO of BMW Holding Group USA (his 1st official day on the job: today).

I had received a marketing piece about the newest "Unstoppable" GS bikes. I figured I had to comment ....
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:03 PM   #2632
Burnszilla
BurnsMoto.com

Oddometer: 1,322
It would be nice to get my old 'working" antenna back for backup, but I doubt that will happen.
Burnszilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:05 PM   #2633
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
6000 Miles On 47 Antenna Ring...seems OK

While I last minute opted to take the '08 RT on the whirlwind 6,000 mile trip, as a reminder, this RT had the EWS error at 600+ miles. New antenna ring installed prior to trip: did 6,000 miles on the RT and no EWS errors. Since I've been away I haven't been up to date on this thread.

Has anyone reported a failed ring with the new 247 part?
Old 07-01-2008, 02:33 PM   #2634
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,824

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
While I last minute opted to take the '08 RT on the whirlwind 6,000 mile trip, as a reminder, this RT had the EWS error at 600+ miles. New antenna ring installed prior to trip: did 6,000 miles on the RT and no EWS errors. Since I've been away I haven't been up to date on this thread.

Has anyone reported a failed ring with the new 247 part?
A couple of people did, John. But who knows if it's true? There isn't really a significant number of EWS failures. Just like there isn't a secure PIN-based manual override.

This whole recall thing is unnecessary, heh heh. There's no problem. Why is BMW even doing it?

- Jim

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:29 PM   #2635
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,205
One More Time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
My GS is in the shop today getting the TSB done.
Hey..has BMW in fact sent out a TSB directing dealers to replaces the VIN identified antenna? Lots of activity...but no confirmation [copy of TSB/Campaign Order/Surly Recall...] has been posted...

Can someone post the actual order to replace antenna from BMW?

Thanks..

Ps..My #247 antenna arrives tomorrow thanks to Gregg at MAX...not that I don't trust my bike mind you!
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:00 AM   #2636
MOLAHS
Sisyphus

Oddometer: 1,650
NO EWS Failure---A battery cell failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOLAHS
Hi Jim, Well i had my annual service on an 07 1200GS with 4700Kms, and a recall of the brake and they also changed the EWS because they'd been told it could leave you stranded !!! The replacement wouldn't fail !!! Well i left the dealer just before closing time and rode to my shopping centre, 5kms away and when i went to leave the engine just started and died, everything stone dead, nothing. Having followed this thread i tried after 15 mins, 1 hour 90mins to no avail. Meantime i tried BMW Roadside Assist who transferred me to Mondial who took some convincing this was not something a mechanic was going to fix, kept talking about jump starting etc. Eventually BMW R/S Assist agreed to send a tow truck, so tomorrow morning at 8am it will be back at the dealer. I'll keep you informed of developments.
Shows how easy it is to jump to the wrong conclusion, sorry mates for leading you up the wrong trail.
MOLAHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:04 AM   #2637
rcliffor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
straight skinny...

OK...I decided to go to the dealership service manager to get the staight skinny on the antenna ring "recall". He said that he had been too busy to read all of his mail from BMW so he didn't know for sure what they were doing.?????

He also said that they are replacing their first failed antenna ring this week.
rcliffor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:35 AM   #2638
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

What Dealer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcliffor
OK...I decided to go to the dealership service manager to get the staight skinny on the antenna ring "recall". He said that he had been too busy to read all of his mail from BMW so he didn't know for sure what they were doing.?????

He also said that they are replacing their first failed antenna ring this week.
Since we live just across the river [Snake] from you and I plan to ride up and down that area in Aug.....what dealer? Didn't have the time to check announcements from BMW! Is there another dealer you could recommend.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:01 PM   #2639
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Just Got Spare #247

Just got my spare antenna...a couple of things.

First the part number is as advertized: 61 35 7 705 247.

Next is says "Made in Belgium"

Where the previous antenna made in Belgium and what is the company?

Ps.. Cost $36.67.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:07 PM   #2640
whisperquiet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 889
I picked up a spare "247" antenna ring for my '07 GSA today....$39.50 with tax and it says Made in Germany on the box. Next step......drill out the one way screws holding it and the ignition switch to the triple tree so they can be replaced with quickly removed screws.
whisperquiet is offline   Reply With Quote