0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2007, 09:37 PM   #256
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Would you happen to have the part number for the harness extender? And would you post some pics if the harness and additional ring antenna?
Check the 4-wheeled BMW store for an EWS antenna. I think the extension cable is from the car side too. I'd like to know the part number for the extension cable too, Mike.

The original equipment BMW car EWS antenna are about $50.

And if you want get your eyes on what other shapes the EWS antenna can take, check out a 'Directed Electronics' (DEI) 555B or 556U. About $40 on Ebay. Or go to an auto alarm store and ask the fellow to open one up.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation

Poolside screwed with this post 07-07-2007 at 03:29 PM
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:51 AM   #257
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,231
We really need someone to find a way to disable this freakin' EWS b.s. that's the solution we are really looking for.. we don't need an immobilizer on a bike. I hope inmate Dugmar's engineer can figure it out before we start shelling out money on an extra antenna and extension cord...

Speaking of which... we're hoping Mikepa can supply us with a part number.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:02 PM   #258
Poolside
Syndicated

Quote:
We really need someone to find a way to disable this freakin' EWS
My money's on 'switching off' the EWS with a configuration setting in the ECU, made with the diagnostic equipment at the BMW store.

There might be a way to 'turn off' the EWS it from outside the ECU, if the mfg did something like defeating the EWS by tying an unused pin from the ECU to ground or something else basic like that. It isn't very likely, but it's possible. Call a simple defeat like that a 'hardware backdoor', it might be something used during code testing.

The simple 'hardware defeat' is a long shot. Possible, but a long shot. The 'configuration setting defeat' in the ECU is good odds I'd say.

There's sure a way to permanently defeat the EWS with hardware on the ECU circuit board. Send me an R12 ECU Rick. I'll have it back to you with the EWS defeated in a couple of weeks.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 07-07-2007, 06:34 PM   #259
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 47,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside

My money's on 'switching off' the EWS with a configuration setting in the ECU, made with the diagnostic equipment at the BMW store.

There might be a way to 'turn off' the EWS it from outside the ECU, if the mfg did something like defeating the EWS by tying an unused pin from the ECU to ground or something else basic like that. It isn't very likely, but it's possible. Call a simple defeat like that a 'hardware backdoor', it might be something used during code testing.

The simple 'hardware defeat' is a long shot. Possible, but a long shot. The 'configuration setting defeat' in the ECU is good odds I'd say.
I agree, with today's computer systems on the bike, it is almost certainly doable, like resetting the mileage with a new speedometer unit.

Quote:

There's sure a way to permanently defeat the EWS with hardware on the ECU circuit board. Send me an R12 ECU Rick. I'll have it back to you with the EWS defeated in a couple of weeks.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:51 PM   #260
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside

My baby's in the shop as I type this and will have major surgery on Monday: main seal replacement.. I'm holding my breath till it's done.

Send you my ECU? I need it to get to the BMW Canada Summerfest Rally... and other places!! But here's an idea, tinker with your ECU and if you defeat the EWS, you can put me down as your first winter project!!
Old 07-07-2007, 07:03 PM   #261
Poolside
Syndicated

fecking dweebs

Old 07-07-2007, 07:19 PM   #262
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 47,871
Quote:
My baby's in the shop as I type this and will have major surgery on Monday: main seal replacement.. I'm holding my breath till it's done.

Send you my ECU? I need it to get to the BMW Canada Summerfest Rally... and other places!! But here's an idea, tinker with your ECU and if you defeat the EWS, you can put me down as your first winter project!!
Nice! Since I don't stop riding in winter, it isn't an option, but not the same for you in the frozen North.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:43 AM   #263
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,314
Thumb The Culprit

Here's a pic of the little baby..just in today from Max's..so count me in as having one in case of an emergency..

I'll be gone on the bike until August 1st..and it will be with me
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:54 AM   #264
tmgs
...Trailers are for Boats

Oddometer: 965
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepa
Out of eight R12GS on this tour, this was the only "biker killer" failure we had. The extension harness and a spare antenna module will set one back around USD$260.00, but it's the only preventative fix that I'm aware of for a very stupid failure mode on the new hexheads.
good to hear there was no final drive failure

So the tool kit now has

spare ring with cable extender
final drive (too bad the wife had a 06 and I have a 07) guess she will get stuck
spare battery for the alarm fob
spare key
satellite telephone

ROTFLMAO

dang this is getting expensive

tmgs screwed with this post 07-11-2007 at 11:20 AM
tmgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:52 AM   #265
Remy
Woe is uh a me bop!

Oddometer: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
good to hear there was no final drive fialure

So the tool kit now has

spare ring with cable extender
final drive (too bad the wife had a 06 and I have a 07) guess she will get stuck
spare battery for the alarm fob
spare key
satellite telephone

ROTFLMAO

dang this is getting expensive

You forgot to add the laminated motorcycle rider wave instructions cheat sheet.
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:19 AM   #266
tmgs
...Trailers are for Boats

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy
You forgot to add the laminated motorcycle rider wave instructions cheat sheet.
darn a tool I never heard of ?! oh what have I been missing?

hehe

tom
tmgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:42 AM   #267
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,999
Question: Where is the magnetic code? Two Problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonebag
Here's a pic of the little baby..just in today from Max's..so count me in as having one in case of an emergency..

I'll be gone on the bike until August 1st..and it will be with me
OK...this may have been asked and answered...I assume the
"go-no-go" magnetic code assigned by VIN is in the ECU and not the antenna? IE: the ECU accepts or rejects the code not the antenna.

Always wondered about a "bad antenna" VS "wrong magnetic code" shut down of the electronics...are these two seperate problems and if yes...can you over-ride the "wrong magnetic code" shut down {"EWS"} by changing the antenna?

Has anyone gotten through to BMW motorrad to ask if they are going to give those of us that own BMWs the option of shutting down the magnetic security code/antenna crap?

Someone out there MUST have a connection with BMW that allows them to actually talk to a person that has some influence over decision making and not just a BMW flunky such as the well meaning but useless folks at the BMW NA 'customer service center'...

Bonebag...two questions: Cost? And when and how do you plan to use it?

Thanks...Phil::

Wallowa screwed with this post 07-11-2007 at 12:38 PM
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:00 PM   #268
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
Has anyone gotten through to BMW motorrad to ask if they are going to give those of us that own BMWs the option of shutting down the magnetic security code/antenna crap?

Soneone out there MUST have a connection with BMW that allows them to actually talk to a person that has some influence over decision making and not just a BMW flunky such as the well meaning but useless folks at the BMW NA 'customer service center'...
this has to go all the way to the top not at BMW NA, but BMW AG in Germany. They may have a bike theft problem in Europe, but over here no one steals BMW's. At any rate, the chances of us getting the option to getting the immobliizer officially de-activated are slim to none. Our best hope is to get the engineer who was able to de-activate the EWS on BMW cars to do the same for the bikes and he will have a lucrative business.

Quote:
Bonebag...two questions: Cost? And when and how do you plan to use it?
on cost..

To use it, you unplug the wiring harness going into the antenna attached to the bike and you attach it to the new one, and then you hold it near the key ring when you start the bike, and for that, I would imagine you would need that extension cord mentioned above, but we don't seem to have a part number for it, or do we
Old 07-11-2007, 12:03 PM   #269
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,314
Cost: 122.00 from Max BMW

Why: Well...I'm not waiting in line for an antenna if mine takes a crap and I'm on the road..So..if that thing craps out on me..I have it..no waiting..

Also..if a fellow rider needs one badly..I've got one...on a Sunday..on a Holiday..whenever

G

Bonebag screwed with this post 07-11-2007 at 12:10 PM
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:16 PM   #270
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 3,979
Quote:
Hey GB.
My 05 GS has the same leak.
I've got an appointment with MAX to get it fixed on the 18th. However, I'm not going to hold my breath while they fix it...
I'm going to France, and have plans on buying a beater Moped and touring all the fire roads near Nyons.
It could be an interesting Ride Report.

Best of luck with your GS.
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote