View Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2008, 02:50 PM   #2746
hapbob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Got Spare? -247

I received my spare ring today -247 made in Belglum on the label. My bike is also on the Vin list so I will have to go get it done swometime I guess...it's a hassle to go to the dealer for me.
Hap
Retired USAF
hapbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:59 PM   #2747
SFKLR
Noob. Again.

Oddometer: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapbob
it's a hassle to go to the dealer for me.
A hassle is having to get towed, after hours, from any gas station, rest stop, parking lot, restaurant, or anywhere else you might be when you shut your bike off for the last time, just after finding the EWS! warning while trying to re-start it. Ask me how I know. Get 'er done while you want to, so you don't have to get 'er done when you have to.
SFKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:05 PM   #2748
kam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz
Maybe this tidbit will help. This is the list of serial numbers that require EWS service.
Sooo, my O5 GS VIN preceeds the first number...but last year, before I had heard about the dreaded EWS ring antenna, some jagoff tried to steal my bike while on tour in VA. Melted the wiring on the ignition assly and I actually had a legit EWS warning. Somehow I was able to jump start the bike and get home. Insurance paid for a whole new ignition assly (including new ring antenna). This occurred in Oct 07. I haven't checked the part number on the installed antenna, but bought a spare from Chicago BMW back in Feb...part ...207 unfortunately.

So what would you guys do? Keep things status quo w/the 207 as a spare? Buy a 247 for a spare?
Old 07-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #2749
TheDuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam
Sooo, my O5 GS VIN preceeds the first number...but last year, before I had heard about the dreaded EWS ring antenna, some jagoff tried to steal my bike while on tour in VA. Melted the wiring on the ignition assly and I actually had a legit EWS warning. Somehow I was able to jump start the bike and get home. Insurance paid for a whole new ignition assly (including new ring antenna). This occurred in Oct 07. I haven't checked the part number on the installed antenna, but bought a spare from Chicago BMW back in Feb...part ...207 unfortunately.

So what would you guys do? Keep things status quo w/the 207 as a spare? Buy a 247 for a spare?
I am curious how you jump started your bike since everything written so far says there is no way.

Bob
TheDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:53 PM   #2750
BMW Kurt
Taker of Pictures

Oddometer: 10,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz
Maybe this tidbit will help. This is the list of serial numbers that require EWS service.
Hmmmm! Seems like my GS was made about 200 bikes before this problem started!
Old 07-09-2008, 04:58 PM   #2751
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer: 10,866
Lucky you!

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. (Albert Einstein)
PacWestGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:29 PM   #2752
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindofblue
Can you tell me what size allen head screws I should take to the dealer next week? Thanks.
I forgot - I'll let you know tomorrow...

2008 R1200GS (Slate Gray Metallic Matt)
2003 R1150GS (Night Black)
PRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:37 PM   #2753
SRFade
FeHorse Rider

Oddometer: 53
Appointment this week

Based on this thread, called my service advisor and he acknowledged the "technical bulletin" so I have an appointment to have the ring replaced later this week. Parts and fasteners in stock. No fuss, no denials, no delay, just good old fashioned response to a customer that purchased a bike at their dealership. This is why I buy locally.

Thanks ADV Rider Forum and Foothills BMW/Triumph for the follow-up
2013 690 Enduro R
SRFade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:41 PM   #2754
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindofblue
Can you tell me what size allen head screws I should take to the dealer next week? Thanks.
8X25 socket head screws (allen head), BMW part # 07 11 9 904 102
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:53 AM   #2755
advD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Info on EWS and Software Upgrade

Guys,

I've been perusing this website for a while now, ever since I found my dream bike, an ’07 R1200GSA. In today’s market, when you’re 6’ 5” tall and 270 lbs it’s the only bike that fits. Bikes seem to be getting smaller every year and I am glad for those big Germans. Every day I ride it, I like it more.

Thank you to all who have contributed to this fantastic website, and to people like JimVonBaden who has taken it all to the next level for people who want to learn to work on their own machines.

I haven’t posted before because I haven had much to contribute but after reading pretty much anything and everything on GSpot, I am happy to say there’s something I can give back (I hope).

When I bought bike the dealer included the 800 mile (uhhh, I meant 600 mile) service in the deal. I took it in after waiting the usual 3 weeks to get into the que and was fortunate to get MANY answers from the service manager at BMWOR on the EWS “campaign” as well as the new software upgrade.

I had both done to my machine and have found that everything works (including the fuel gauge)….

Here’s what I learned:

1) EWS answers: The #207 and the previous version were installed on 06 and 07 machines and they were poorly manufactured. The two problems BMWOR has "heard of" are: a) Water gets into the housing and causes corrosion and / or a short = failure, and b) solder connections fail and the EWS stops working. This was attributed to the manufacturer of the device and after “extensive” testing, BMW has implemented the replacement program for owners with a part built by a different manufacturer. That sounds reasonable to me and as I said, so far my experience with the new part is good (although I didn’t experience an issue with the old one either, thank God).

2) Software Upgrade: This is a change to your fuel / air mixture, timing and a correction to the fuel gauge (as I understand it). BMWOR has a RH piston hanging on their service wall that they explained came out of a bike that had been ridden hard (fast acceleration, i.e. police bike) and it was fried due to being “set up lean probably to meet emissions requirements”. The explanation worked for me so I thought I’d share. I don’t notice anything different on my bike other than the fuel gauge really does work better.

Thanks again to all, and KEEP IT UP. I am sure there are many others like me who haven’t posted but who are benefiting.

- Dave
advD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:26 AM   #2756
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by advD
The #207 and the previous version were installed on 06 and 07 machines and they were poorly manufactured. The two problems BMWOR has "heard of" are: a) Water gets into the housing and causes corrosion and / or a short = failure, and b) solder connections fail and the EWS stops working. This was attributed to the manufacturer of the device and after “extensive” testing, BMW has implemented the replacement program for owners with a part built by a different manufacturer.
So was it the same or different problem(s) with the -136 version, which succeeded the -207 and immediately preceded the -247?

2008 R1200GS (Slate Gray Metallic Matt)
2003 R1150GS (Night Black)
PRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:58 AM   #2757
advD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
not sure... they said the older ones didn't seem to have as many reported probelms.
advD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:02 AM   #2758
kam
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDu
I am curious how you jump started your bike since everything written so far says there is no way.

Bob
I don't remember the details too well...but a buddy had jumper cables and we did it the old fashioned way. My key in, turned on, his bike was on and when I pressed the starter...it started. I had a spare key, so I left the bike on at the one and only gas stop and for any "breaks". Rode it straight to my home dealer and left it there for insurance assessment and repair. It was only after the ignition assly was replaced did I see the EWS threadfest...and now, I may have a "suspect" ring.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:55 AM   #2759
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam
I don't remember the details too well...but a buddy had jumper cables and we did it the old fashioned way. My key in, turned on, his bike was on and when I pressed the starter...it started. I had a spare key, so I left the bike on at the one and only gas stop and for any "breaks". Rode it straight to my home dealer and left it there for insurance assessment and repair. It was only after the ignition assly was replaced did I see the EWS threadfest...and now, I may have a "suspect" ring.
Then it was most likely a dead battery. Not the EWS.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:11 AM   #2760
kam
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux
Then it was most likely a dead battery. Not the EWS.
Well, I'm not so sure...when I came down to the garage where my bike was parked, it had been moved and the little parking light was eerily glowing. When I put the key in (or maybe even before that) the EWS warning was showing on the display. I wish I could remeber the details better..it was early and I had been rudely awakened by the phone..."uh kam, I think somebody tried to steal your bike"..."why do you say that"...."well, its not where you parked it and one of the lights are on..."..."I"ll be right down!".

So, again, somehow we got it started, and it stayed on for the 300 mile ride home.