0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #2761
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by advD
not sure... they said the older ones didn't seem to have as many reported probelms.
The -136 is newer than the -207, but immediately preceded the latest -247. I had a failure with my -136 and was wondering if the -136 failures were attributable to the same issues you cited with the -207. It really is moot at this point, but I was just curious.

2008 R1200GS (Slate Gray Metallic Matt)
2003 R1150GS (Night Black)
PRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:36 PM   #2762
advD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Wish I knew about the #136, but, mine had the #207. Sorry.
advD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:29 PM   #2763
Litre
AKA JimiChanga

Oddometer: 412
Called to schedule my antenna ring install. They are doing the antenna ring, an LED brake light recall (they apparently replace the whole brake light), and a software update.

- 2008 BMW R1200GS Adventure: Mine
- 2003 BMW F650GS: Hers
Litre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:56 PM   #2764
advD
Gnarly Adventurer

Don't think you will be disapointed. Just make sure they have the steering head locknut on hand... the dealer stripped mine out because it had a 5mm hex on the bolt and a 19mm nut that needs to be torqued to 90+ ft lbs... apparently an $80 item that they didn't have in stock and it took several days to get.

They have to remove it in order to perform the EWS exchange.

The dealer did provide a loaner bike though and the service response was very good.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:39 PM   #2765
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
The 207 failed on our '08 K12S today. Abt 2K miles. 5 minutes to plug in a 247 and 45 minutes to figure how to make it look neat until it gets to the dealer.
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:58 PM   #2766
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Which Bikes DON'T Need To Remove Steering Head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by advD
Don't think you will be disapointed. Just make sure they have the steering head locknut on hand... the dealer stripped mine out because it had a 5mm hex on the bolt and a 19mm nut that needs to be torqued to 90+ ft lbs... apparently an $80 item that they didn't have in stock and it took several days to get.

They have to remove it in order to perform the EWS exchange.

The dealer did provide a loaner bike though and the service response was very good.
Some BMW models do not have to have the steering heads removed to replace the antenna...does anyone know which models do not need the steering head removed?

Thanks..

Ps..Cjack..sorry it bit you! Glad you were prepared.
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:40 PM   #2767
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack
The 207 failed on our '08 K12S today. Abt 2K miles. 5 minutes to plug in a 247 and 45 minutes to figure how to make it look neat until it gets to the dealer.
Bummer Jack, but it's good you had a spare.

2008 R1200GS (Slate Gray Metallic Matt)
2003 R1150GS (Night Black)
PRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:06 PM   #2768
Gunslinger1
GIVE'R

Oddometer: 622
Is the software update something Recent?.........and how recent? I just had my bike in the shop for EWS 2 weeks ago. How recent in the LED Brakelight recall?

Thanks,
Tim
Gunslinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:10 PM   #2769
Litre
AKA JimiChanga

Oddometer: 412
Unsure about the brake light recall, he just mentioned that it had to be done. As far as the software update, my bike hasn't had one and the gas gauge is erratic. I've asked them to update it.

- 2008 BMW R1200GS Adventure: Mine
- 2003 BMW F650GS: Hers
Litre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:12 AM   #2770
dometop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Breeze
Is the software update something Recent?.........and how recent? I just had my bike in the shop for EWS 2 weeks ago. How recent in the LED Brakelight recall?

Thanks,
Tim
I just had the EWS update performed yesterday on my 2007 GSA adventure. They also performed a softwear update. The two recall numbers listed on the work order are: 0013160000 and 0065100000. The work order does not specify which recall is for the EWS so your quess is as good as mine. RO#20760 was also listed on the work order and I believe that number related to the softwware update. I asked what the software update related to and I was told it resolved a "spark knock" issue which was occuring on some bikes. The mechanic told me BMW allows only a half hour for the antennae ring swap and it took him three times that long to do the work. The triple clamp needs to be removed to allow the mechanic the space necessary to drill out the security torque bolts.
I asked him to replace the security bolts with standard bolts which he did with #6 allen bolts.
dometop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:41 AM   #2771
advD
Gnarly Adventurer

It took them several hours to do mine (I think they're alloted 42 minutes from BMW) + 4 days to get the locknut that they stripped out when they took the steering head apart.

Not sure which bikes wouldn't need to have the steering head taken apart, but it was probably a good idea to change the hardware to something that would be easier to deal with.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:21 AM   #2772
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Yup..I Read Them...

[quote=DaneelOlivaw]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
Some BMW models do not have to have the steering heads removed to replace the antenna...does anyone know which models do not need the steering head removed?
/quote]

I believe your question is answered in the bulletins I sent you.
Yes...interesting BMW only "suggests" a procedure on removal and replacement....such as not removing 'triple clamp/head' but using a flexible drill extension...or "Dremel" as an option...to remove security bolts...

If you are interested..when you take you bike in for the new antenna..ask to see the "Service Information Bulletin" for EWS ring antenna replacement...not a "TSB" but a "SIM"...whatever the hell the difference is!

BMW is so damn covert and obfuscating that they should be in the spy business...you know.."For Your Eyes Only".
Old 07-11-2008, 07:52 PM   #2773
L Rider
"Road Worthy"

Oddometer: 351
Had mine done today (07 GSA). I am in Canada.

The tech told me he was allowed 30 minutes........but it took 90 minutes.

He also told me the first kit he used wasn't right (I didn't ask why), and that the needed a second kit for my bike.

I didn't do the software upgrade.

Cheers..........Rod
L Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:32 AM   #2774
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Why Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Rider
Had mine done today (07 GSA). I am in Canada.

The tech told me he was allowed 30 minutes........but it took 90 minutes.

He also told me the first kit he used wasn't right (I didn't ask why), and that the needed a second kit for my bike.

I didn't do the software upgrade.

Cheers..........Rod
Since we have the same bike..why no software upgrade?

Thanks..
Old 07-12-2008, 07:44 PM   #2775
PackRat
Huey Guns

Oddometer: 1,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by dometop
.....The triple clamp needs to be removed to allow the mechanic the space necessary to drill out the security torque bolts.
I asked him to replace the security bolts with standard bolts which he did with #6 allen bolts.

I had a friend go through this on the way to Alaska and I suggested putting normal bolts in so he could install a spare antenna ring "in the field". He lost a week waiting for this service.

I don't understand BMW's thinking on this system - its rare that a bike gets stolen with a key - 4 guys with a van and less than 3 minutes is all it takes. However - the way we load our GSs, we'd get sued for hurting the 4 thieves' backs!!!

Also, you know an IT guy programmed that feature into the computer, then an IT guy could program it out!

Yungas Rd.-Bolivia, Alaska '08 - Labrador '10 -
PackRat is offline   Reply With Quote