Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-2008, 05:53 PM   #2806
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,547
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideLD
If your 07 has more than 6000 miles on it, chances are good that if it were going to fail it would have already. Check your vin against the campaign chart because some of the early 07's were not even effected. Carrying a spare is probably a good idea but there's no need to run down to the dealer and delay your trip.

My 07 has 22,000 miles on it and I have no concerns about my EWS going south on the 3000 mile ride I am leaving on next week. My VIN is listed in the "campaign" but I'm really not worried. These things fail early in their life.

ARE YOU going to bring spare antenna ring?
Old 07-15-2008, 05:58 PM   #2807
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer: 10,866
All done, I can leave my Rosery at home now...

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. (Albert Einstein)
PacWestGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:50 AM   #2808
ylexot
Super Genius

Oddometer: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcr
Brawndo: It's got what keys crave!

ylexot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:54 AM   #2809
Remy
Woe is uh a me bop!

Oddometer: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideLD
If your 07 has more than 6000 miles on it, chances are good that if it were going to fail it would have already. Check your vin against the campaign chart because some of the early 07's were not even effected. Carrying a spare is probably a good idea but there's no need to run down to the dealer and delay your trip.

My 07 has 22,000 miles on it and I have no concerns about my EWS going south on the 3000 mile ride I am leaving on next week. My VIN is listed in the "campaign" but I'm really not worried. These things fail early in their life.
I left mine at the shop yesterday to have the various campaign issues done. There was a guy there with an '07 and a little over 7000 miles. He was from Missouri and had an EWS failure on Sunday.
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:58 AM   #2810
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy
He was from Missouri and had an EWS failure on Sunday.
Did you make him 'Show You?'
Old 07-16-2008, 06:03 AM   #2811
Remy
Woe is uh a me bop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
Did you make him 'Show You?'
Heh heh heh! No, but I did watch them push his bike to the service area. He was a nice guy and took it all in stride.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:07 AM   #2812
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Heh heh heh! No, but I did watch them push his bike to the service area. He was a nice guy and took it all in stride.
FWIW, I've found, hanging at the dealer while having my bikes serviced, seems MOST BMW owners don't frequent these websites. And seem blissfully happy with their bikes! The '06 KGT's had a lot of trouble with poor idling, varying RPM, and they sounded like crap (as did the '05 KS). I once asked a guy how come he didn't have the new ECU/VXXX.X of software put in, new airbox, etc. and he just said, "I thought it was supposed to run like that?" He of course never heard of the various BMW websites.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:15 AM   #2813
Remy
Woe is uh a me bop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
FWIW, I've found, hanging at the dealer while having my bikes serviced, seems MOST BMW owners don't frequent these websites. And seem blissfully happy with their bikes! The '06 KGT's had a lot of trouble with poor idling, varying RPM, and they sounded like crap (as did the '05 KS). I once asked a guy how come he didn't have the new ECU/VXXX.X of software put in, new airbox, etc. and he just said, "I thought it was supposed to run like that?" He of course never heard of the various BMW websites.
I know what you mean. These websites are very helpful and fun, but they often present a skewed view. I've met some very nice folks and heard some neat stories from riders at the shops. I may be an extreme case, but I even like the people at my shop!
Old 07-16-2008, 06:20 AM   #2814
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I may be an extreme case, but I even like the people at my shop!
Double ditto, never screw with your dentist, heart surgeon, or BMW mechanic; in increasing order of importance!
Old 07-16-2008, 06:22 AM   #2815
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,459
OK - so my turn now I have a very early 06 ADV and have just started getting itermittent EWS messages ... the first time I disconnected the battery and reconnected and this seemed to clear it and it started. It has since done it 3 more times and if I fiddle a bit, taking key out turning ignition on and letting it do its check thing it has eventually co-operated!?
Without reading all the thousands of posts - can anyone tell me if this has happened to them? I know that some say the EWS will show if the battery is failing but no indication of this (seems strong). I do have a 'spare' 2nd hand ring antenna which I could use if it really does not want to start so not too worried at the moment. My dealer says he is looking into a warranty swop even though it is just out of warranty by about 50 days. Holding thumbs for the 247.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'Fuck, what a trip!'

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists.

BiG DoM screwed with this post 07-16-2008 at 08:11 AM
BiG DoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:03 AM   #2816
brasters
Just Bob

Oddometer: 120
Question

Anybody out there been asked to pay extra because they had a Stieble horn installed, also have handle bar mounted XM radio and GPS, I was told those all had to be removed or I would be charged extra for the EWS recall work to be done.

Just Bob.

2007 R1200GSA Alpine White
brasters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:10 AM   #2817
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasters
Anybody out there been asked to pay extra because they had a Stieble horn installed, also have handle bar mounted XM radio and GPS, I was told those all had to be removed or I would be charged extra for the EWS recall work to be done.

Just Bob.
Now there is a load of shite if ever! Guess they reckon extra time to disconnect and reconnect them is their cost.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'Fuck, what a trip!'

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists.
BiG DoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:26 AM   #2818
JEFFR259
What the hell?

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasters

Just Bob.
Well, in your defense, that's sucky. In the dealer's defense, BMW is only paying us 7 frus to do the job, which equals .58 of an hour. This is a very hard job to do in that amount of time. Especially if there are tons of farkles installed on the bike which requires possible removal, reinstall, etc.
And with about 17,XXX affected bikes out there, that's alot of $$$ we are going to loose on warranty claims

2008 Triumph Street Triple
2008 Triumph Bonneville Black (Hers- or so she's told )

"A revolution is coming - a revolution which will be peaceful if we are wise enough; compassionate if we care enough; successful if we are fortunate enough - but a revolution which is coming whether we will it or not. We can affect its character, we cannot alter its inevitability. "
-John F. Kennedy
JEFFR259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:17 PM   #2819
12bnkd
UP for any Adventure

Oddometer: 255
HP or a company in Spain

I had my 12k service done to day and the replaced my EWS. I was not expecting that. It was replaced because of a warranty as I was told. They also did a Computer upgrade. I went back and Spoke to the service tech. I wanted to know more about the computer upgrade not about the EWS. He started telling me about it and before I was able to cut him off because I Thought I knew all I need to know about it from this forum he started telling me that either HP or a Company in Spain made the first batch and they were good and some time after that switched to a"better cheaper" model and Those were the bad ones. he said he not Could get the hole Story from BMW they are being tight Lip about it.
V-Rod
Sportster (First Bike)

http://ride.smugmug.com/MotorcycleRi...18710698_g3dzr

WWW.BattalionMC.com
12bnkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:40 PM   #2820
ALTO
Growing Adventurer

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG DoM
OK - so my turn now I have a very early 06 ADV and have just started getting itermittent EWS messages ... the first time I disconnected the battery and reconnected and this seemed to clear it and it started. It has since done it 3 more times and if I fiddle a bit, taking key out turning ignition on and letting it do its check thing it has eventually co-operated!?
Without reading all the thousands of posts - can anyone tell me if this has happened to them? .
--> For starters, please refer to post #2239 by ALTO, pg. 150 of this thread. If you are willing to try the recommended procedure, please tell us whether it worked for you or not. For comparison, my RF antenna P/N ends in ...136 (but I always carry a spare with me).

Please note, the procedure with the kill switch described in post #2239 is just a preventive measure, not a remedy, i.e., it will not restart your bike once EWS! appears on the display.
ALTO is offline   Reply With Quote