0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2008, 10:31 PM   #2821
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
It was my understanding also that keys do not "contaminate" keys but two keys can confuse the antenna..

Also buried in these posts are "EWS' warnings generated by dead or dying battery....not in my owner's book, but folks have reported it.
Ffing A....My 08 GSA wouldn't start this afternoon out at my farm...just a slight click from the key switch area. It'd been just fine during the 30 mile ride, then I shut it off to use my cell phone and....zip, nada, nothing. I farted around with it a bit, checked the battery connections, etc., nothing. Called my dealer, he said look for the dreaded code, yup..there's the "ews". He said not to worry, he's got tons of them in stock...so my son brings a trailer out and we haul the bike home.

Just in case it was a weak battery causing the problem, we pop the seat and give it a jump from my pickup. She fires right up...hummmm. So I shut it off and try it without the boost.....nothing. She's sitting in the garage right now being pumped full of juice. That's probably all it is....but now I have an excuse for a 300 mile ride to OKC BMW to have it checked.
stevie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:40 PM   #2822
Gyromaniac
Betty Crocker w/ wrenches

Oddometer: 378
EWS: Am I missing something?

Am I the only one who feels this feature may have sounded like a good idea at the time to the pointy-headed engineers. . . but in the real world it's a source of new and imaginative strings of 4-letter words? (Happened to me! )
Old 07-18-2008, 02:28 AM   #2823
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyromaniac
Am I the only one who feels this feature may have sounded like a good idea at the time to the pointy-headed engineers. . . but in the real world it's a source of new and imaginative strings of 4-letter words? (Happened to me! )
It seems that the anti-theft system BMW has installed is due to a requirement from DoT (as in US Department of Transportation).

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:35 AM   #2824
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk
It seems that the anti-theft system BMW has installed is due to a requirement from DoT (as in US Department of Transportation).

[TaSK]

Nope, possibly a Euro requirement, but not mandated here.

It might be changing, but BMW theft here was very tiny.

The people looking for used parts are so anal about where they come from and the history of how it was used that it is too much trouble to move used parts. (I think thats a good thing) Like I said that might be changing.

Sportbikes are stolen here just for their bodywork. HDs are hard to hold onto as well.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:54 AM   #2825
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,204
Stevie...How Ya Gonna Keep 'Um Down On The Farm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88
Ffing A....My 08 GSA wouldn't start this afternoon out at my farm...just a slight click from the key switch area. It'd been just fine during the 30 mile ride, then I shut it off to use my cell phone and....zip, nada, nothing. I farted around with it a bit, checked the battery connections, etc., nothing. Called my dealer, he said look for the dreaded code, yup..there's the "ews". He said not to worry, he's got tons of them in stock...so my son brings a trailer out and we haul the bike home.

Just in case it was a weak battery causing the problem, we pop the seat and give it a jump from my pickup. She fires right up...hummmm. So I shut it off and try it without the boost.....nothing. She's sitting in the garage right now being pumped full of juice. That's probably all it is....but now I have an excuse for a 300 mile ride to OKC BMW to have it checked.
Steve...do as I do in my shop..my '07 GSA is always on the BMW [expensive but it works] battery charger plugged into the power outlet behind seat..or it is being ridden!

Wallowa screwed with this post 07-18-2008 at 09:35 AM
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:59 AM   #2826
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Steve...do as I do in my shop..my '07 GSA is always on the BMW [expensive but it works] battery charger pluged into the power outlet behind seat..or it is being ridden!
Hi Phil,
Just thought I interject some comments re: batteries and chargers. I have the expensive one and don't use it at all. It's a shortcoming on my part in that I just don't trust the handshaking with the CAN-bus being consistent. Also, JVB has f*ed up my head (as have others) that leaving the bike on a charger is nonsense if you ride regularly, which we do in FL

I recently came back from a two week road trip and found the battery in my '07 ADV tits up! (garage talk for NFG). Trekked[the bad battery] it to BMW Daytona and was informed that yup, it's NFG. I was also told the black ones (mine was black) were failing a lot more than gray ones They gave me a gray one. So, back to JVB and my Deltran Battery Tenders that are supposed to stop sulfation a la float charge, blah, blah. Did I fry the battery? Hmmmm? Good question, likely will never know for sure. So have compromised my regimen, I now only wait until the Battery Tender renders a glowing green/full-charge and I disconnect the damn things. Thanks Jim, for screwing with my head!

And I offer the following comment that I did not originate: With a small enough data sample one can prove just about anything!
Old 07-18-2008, 09:40 AM   #2827
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,806
Quote:
Steve...do as I do in my shop..my '07 GSA is always on the BMW [expensive but it works] battery charger pluged into the power outlet behind seat..or it is being ridden!
I have the semi expensive BMW charger, you know, it's the one that the Can-bus system tells to pound sand, hooked directly to the very black battery right now. BTW, when I bought my RT in 05 I purchased that charger from my dealer because it is supposed to work through the Can-bus.
stevie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:44 AM   #2828
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Hmmmm..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
Hi Phil,
Just thought I interject some comments re: batteries and chargers. I have the expensive one and don't use it at all. It's a shortcoming on my part in that I just don't trust the handshaking with the CAN-bus being consistent. Also, JVB has f*ed up my head (as have others) that leaving the bike on a charger is nonsense if you ride regularly, which we do in FL

I recently came back from a two week road trip and found the battery in my '07 ADV tits up! (garage talk for NFG). Trekked[the bad battery] it to BMW Daytona and was informed that yup, it's NFG. I was also told the black ones (mine was black) were failing a lot more than gray ones They gave me a gray one. So, back to JVB and my Deltran Battery Tenders that are supposed to stop sulfation a la float charge, blah, blah. Did I fry the battery? Hmmmm? Good question, likely will never know for sure. So have compromised my regimen, I now only wait until the Battery Tender renders a glowing green/full-charge and I disconnect the damn things. Thanks Jim, for screwing with my head!

And I offer the following comment that I did not originate: With a small enough data sample one can prove just about anything!
Following the protocol of hooking up the BMW battery charger for use of the outlet and with "Glass Matt" batteries I have never had any problems with the initiation ["hand shake"..it is very simple] or having the charger run the battery through the correct charging sequences...nothing against any other brands but the BMW sequencing charger flat works....but I do know that using an incorrect charger or allowing them to totally discharge can ruin the battery.

So far it is working great for me..
Old 07-18-2008, 09:50 AM   #2829
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT
Nope, possibly a Euro requirement, but not mandated here.

It might be changing, but BMW theft here was very tiny.

The people looking for used parts are so anal about where they come from and the history of how it was used that it is too much trouble to move used parts. (I think thats a good thing) Like I said that might be changing.

Sportbikes are stolen here just for their bodywork. HDs are hard to hold onto as well.
Regardless of how many bikes gets stolen, and regaardles of whetehr we here or you there like it, according to documents posted here a few thousand posts ago by the Honorable Mr. Poolside, a theft-prevention system has been made mandatory by DoT. BMW complied. We on the Old Continent are not pleased.

On another note: Calling the Honorable Mr. Poolside!

"Now that BMW is recalling the faulty antennas, and the EWS error will nto be seen again, is there any chance at all that we will ever get to know the procedure for manual override?"

I solicit your comment.

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:14 PM   #2830
xlcr
Stop being a dick, dick.

Oddometer: 4,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk
Regardless of how many bikes gets stolen, and regaardles of whetehr we here or you there like it, according to documents posted here a few thousand posts ago by the Honorable Mr. Poolside, a theft-prevention system has been made mandatory by DoT. BMW complied. We on the Old Continent are not pleased.
I don't think the anti-theft requirement applies to motorcycles. I've searched for DOT waivers for motorcycles and nearly all are for approval to divert euro-spec bikes to the US market. There are plenty of waivers for passive theft-deterrent system on automobiles, but none for bikes.

My guess is that BMW took it upon themselves to (poorly) implement some flashy feature from their car line as a sales gimmick and it's biting them in the ass.
xlcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:18 PM   #2831
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,823

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcr
I don't think the anti-theft requirement applies to motorcycles.

There are plenty of waivers for passive theft-deterrent system on automobiles, but none for bikes.

My guess is that BMW took it upon themselves to (poorly) implement some flashy feature from their car line as a sales gimmick and it's biting them in the ass.
That's right.

Motorcycle manufacturers generally do not design and build their own ECU. Instead they source their motorcycle ECUs from automotive ECU makers.

The ECUs are designed for automobiles, and the EWS Immobilizer software and hardware is already built-in to the ECU.

Immobilizer software and hardware *complete* with Immobilizer Manual Override.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:31 AM   #2832
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside

That's right.

Motorcycle manufacturers generally do not design and build their own ECU. Instead they source their motorcycle ECUs from automotive ECU makers.

The ECUs are designed for automobiles, and the EWS Immobilizer software and hardware is already built-in to the ECU.

Immobilizer software and hardware *complete* with Immobilizer Manual Override.

I have been informed of some failures of the latest newest ring...so it may be time for the ultimate fix. Immobilizer Manual Override.
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 05:45 PM   #2833
Flash1034
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
I have had no failures since the recall or before for that matter. FYI

Flash
Flash1034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:04 PM   #2834
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

????

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack
I have been informed of some failures of the latest newest ring...so it may be time for the ultimate fix. Immobilizer Manual Override.
Can you be more explicit? Hate being kept in suspense waiting for the 'other shoe to fall'.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:53 PM   #2835
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Can you be more explicit? Hate being kept in suspense waiting for the 'other shoe to fall'.
No suspense. I just know a mechanic at a major dealership who has had to replace a couple or few of the newest number...247. He told me to continue to keep a spare handy. Probably a good idea anyway.
As for the override idea, it kind of torques me off that we have this issue and I think it would be best (although I don't know all the issues) if we had a manual override with a pin #.
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote