Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2007, 12:47 PM   #271
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,190
Explanation Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
this has to go all the way to the top not at BMW NA, but BMW AG in Germany. They may have a bike theft problem in Europe, but over here no one steals BMW's. At any rate, the chances of us getting the option to getting the immobliizer officially de-activated are slim to none. Our best hope is to get the engineer who was able to de-activate the EWS on BMW cars to do the same for the bikes and he will have a lucrative business.

on cost..

To use it, you unplug the wiring harness going into the antenna attached to the bike and you attach it to the new one, and then you hold it near the key ring when you start the bike, and for that, I would imagine you would need that extension cord mentioned above, but we don't seem to have a part number for it, or do we
Sorry I lost the thread there...you unplug the old antenna, you attach the new antenna to that plug...but what does "and then you hold it near the key ring when you start the bike" mean? I probably am missing the obvious..

Also back to my original question: are there two failures that can shut out the ignition: #1 Bad antenna can't read code correctly and #2 Wrong chip code shuts down ignition when an incorrect key or multi-keys are brought near the antenna?

And where does the code recognition take place? At antenna or in ECU?

Thanks for helping me understand the process...if not a solution..

Phil::
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:39 PM   #272
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
Sorry I lost the thread there...you unplug the old antenna, you attach the new antenna to that plug...but what does "and then you hold it near the key ring when you start the bike" mean? I probably am missing the obvious..

Also back to my original question: are there two failures that can shut out the ignition: #1 Bad antenna can't read code correctly and #2 Wrong chip code shuts down ignition when an incorrect key or multi-keys are brought near the antenna?

And where does the code recognition take place? At antenna or in ECU?

Thanks for helping me understand the process...if not a solution..

Phil::
Code recognition is in the ECU,........it's smart and by definition an antennae is not. Antennae is just a receiver and that's it, no need to over complicate it. The antennae has no unique identity with the ECU, however the ECU is supposed to be able to record a faulty ant code in the event it does not pass self test or EWS kicks in. However in our experiences this fault code is hit or miss to diagnosing EWS lock out. If there is an illegitmate coded key near the antennae the ECU may also read it and go into lock out mode as it is trying to prevent a code generator from being used to start the bike.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:57 PM   #273
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
So if you want to mess up another rider just put your key close to his ignition?

Stupid shit like this is why I will quit riding BMWs.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:59 PM   #274
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT
So if you want to mess up another rider just put your key close to his ignition?

By the look of your sig line...you have an awfull lot of quitting to do

And it wont' mess up anyones bike..having two keys..whether same or different chipped keys..very close together, like on a key ring, will cause the engine not to start..I imagine you could remove your key and shuv it over by your buddies ignition while he was starting his for a laugh..kind of like reaching over at a stop light and turning his ignition off...
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:13 PM   #275
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT

the EWS only polls for the key code, so there would have to be multiple coded keys present when the ignition switch is cycled on. Once the bike is running there should be no issue with the EWS to my knowledge.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:40 PM   #276
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta
the EWS only polls for the key code, so there would have to be multiple coded keys present when the ignition switch is cycled on. Once the bike is running there should be no issue with the EWS to my knowledge.
though there is 1 '07 K1200GT with the same problem on the I-BMW site....
what do you make of the fact that only the GS series of bikes seem to have this problem even though the "system" is present in all the new K-bikes as well?
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:48 PM   #277
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
though there is 1 '07 K1200GT with the same problem on the I-BMW site....
what do you make of the fact that only the GS series of bikes seem to have this problem even though the "system" is present in all the new K-bikes as well?
Wheelies/Off Roading/Rougher Ride???? Maybe
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:58 PM   #278
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

That K1200GT is here now because the shop in FL nicked one of the ignition wires when they cut the tie-wraps loose from the wire harness to replace the antennae. It has not been only GS's with the issues, RT's and K bikes have been affected before. There's just alot more R12GS's sold then anything else.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:23 PM   #279
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,190
Bobby..How Close?

Follow-up question...I have a spare key in addition to the BMW plastic "Tonka" key they so generously supplied me with the bike...

# 1 If both of my chipped keys [coded identically] are near the antenna will it generate an EWS?

#2 What constitutes "close enough" to the antenna to get an EWS? [how close can you get without screwing up the ignition? ...I want to carry extra key in tank bag..but worried it would confuse the antenna/ECU]

Thanks...Phil:::

PS: Please send me a PM as soon as you hear of a way to excise this stupid ignition lock out...I will immediately order whatever it is from you!
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:39 PM   #280
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta
That K1200GT is here now because the shop in FL nicked one of the ignition wires when they cut the tie-wraps loose from the wire harness to replace the antennae. It has not been only GS's with the issues, RT's and K bikes have been affected before. There's just alot more R12GS's sold then anything else.

what are the exact figures of sales of R vs. GS bikes?
where I live.... the KGTs have outsold the GSs 5-10:1

it's all about the local topography, suppose
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
Old 07-11-2007, 04:43 PM   #281
Pir8te
over forty victim of fate

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:
the KGTs have outsold the GSs 5-10:1

As a former Fl Native
Flat straight and no elevation chages
I guess a GT makes sense
elsewhere GS
Pir8te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:48 PM   #282
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir8te
As a former Fl Native
Flat straight and no elevation chages
I guess a GT makes sense
elsewhere GS
i, of course, want BOTH
Old 07-11-2007, 06:41 PM   #283
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Quote:
what are the exact figures of sales of R vs. GS bikes?
where I live.... the KGTs have outsold the GSs 5-10:1

I would doubt that even in S FL that the KGT would outsell the RGS as much as 5:1. Overall I'd say the RGS is 30% of overall BMW Units sold and the KGT would be lucky if its over 10% of total units
Old 07-11-2007, 08:08 PM   #284
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,972
Answering out of order...

Quote:
#2 What constitutes "close enough" to the antenna to get an EWS? [how close can you get without screwing up the ignition? ...I want to carry extra key in tank bag..but worried it would confuse the antenna/ECU]
There's a reason the antenna is a circle and goes around the key. The signal just isn't all that strong.

I've had my spare key in the sleeve of my stitch when starting the bike without problems. I suspect that you'll likely have to have the second key touching the first (that close) before the ECU would see both keys.

Which leads to the first question:
Quote:
# 1 If both of my chipped keys [coded identically] are near the antenna will it generate an EWS?
Try it. Just do it when you have some spare time as the EWS may disable your the bike for a few minutes. You'll see how close you need to bring two keys together on your bike to generate an error. Then you'll know. It beats guessing and worrying. Once you generate the error (if you can) wait a while then motor on.

// marc
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:16 PM   #285
gpothoven
whatever

Oddometer: 2,129
Yes, it does seem that for two keys together to create a problem they have to be REAL close to each other and the antenae ring. I've had my spare plastic key duct taped under the tank cover fro 40K+ miles without a problem. Now where's that "knock on wood" smilie...???
gpothoven is offline   Reply With Quote