Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2008, 05:40 PM   #2836
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
John,

Sorry I did not follow that....are you saying that the BMW battery charger listed in the Owner's Manual [don't have number right now] that allows charging through the accessory outlet port may fail to charge the battery even if the correct intialization sequence was followed? I have been using mine for over a year and during the winter there isn't any riding here, so it has sat on the charger for at least 5 months without being run. Perhaps I am just mis-understanding. If folks are finding dead batteries after leaving it plugged in..my bet is that they never correctly hooked it up...as you know a very specific sequence is required.

Oh yes you mentioned the LED showed full charge..it periodically cycles through all the LEDs hence there should be times when the green light is not on...
As far as I have been able to tell, any charger will keep the port on if you plug in the charger when the port is on. Then when the charger, any charger, goes to float and the charging current goes to nil, the port will turn off. And it will not restart unless the port is turned on again by the key. I do not think there is anything unique about the BMW charger as to turning on the port or keeping it on after going to float.
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:29 PM   #2837
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,491
Respectfully..I Believe You Are Wrong

[quote=cjack]As far as I have been able to tell, any charger will keep the port on if you plug in the charger when the port is on. Then when the charger, any charger, goes to float and the charging current goes to nil, the port will turn off. And it will not restart unless the port is turned on again by the key. I do not think there is anything unique about the BMW charger as to turning on the port or keeping it on after going to float.[/quote]

I did not bring up [from my shop] the number of the charger required for my '07 GSA and the AGM [absorbed glass mat] battery...but once you: #1 intialize the CanBus [by turning on the ignition and allowing ECU to go through "check" intialization] and #2 then plug in the BMW charger to the accessory power outlet [under and behind left rear of seat on frame] and #3 then plug in AC power to the charger ...you turn off the key and forget about it...the charger cycles through the necessary charging sequency and the CanBus never shuts it off..period. You do not need to periodically 'restart the port'.

I do not know if other chargers are as compatible with the CanBus system as this BMW charger...and therefore I can't speak to other brands of chargers causing the port to shut down. My BMW Owners Manual is very explicit about only using this charger with the AGM/CanBus/outlet charging set-up...if you have a similar bike look it up..I seem to remember it was on page 128.

Ps..Sorry this is way off EWS.

Wallowa screwed with this post 07-21-2008 at 08:37 PM
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:37 PM   #2838
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,887

There is a Manual Override for that.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:47 PM   #2839
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Damn I Love You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside
There is a Manual Override for that.

Some things in this universe are immutable...VIVA Poolboy!
Old 07-25-2008, 08:01 AM   #2840
Visigoth
Salty Pirate

Oddometer: 174
I just spoke to BMW Miami and found out that there is an official recall on this issue. I will be taking my 1200GSA in to get it replaced next week.
Visigoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:36 AM   #2841
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

OK..I Will Ask..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visigoth
I just spoke to BMW Miami and found out that there is an official recall on this issue. I will be taking my 1200GSA in to get it replaced next week.
"Official Recall"...How are owners going to be notified? Please ask your BMW Miami person...or did they call you?

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:40 AM   #2842
Visigoth
Salty Pirate

Oddometer: 174
I called my dealer after finding the brake line recall to see if my bike needed to come in. He asked me for my vin and told me that although I do not need to come in for the brakes that I do need to come in to get my antennae replaced. Call your dealer, don't take no for an answer!
Visigoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:50 AM   #2843
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

OK..But For The Record Not A Recall..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visigoth
I called my dealer after finding the brake line recall to see if my bike needed to come in. He asked me for my vin and told me that although I do not need to come in for the brakes that I do need to come in to get my antennae replaced. Call your dealer, don't take no for an answer!
I know that if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it probably is a duck...but in the official bafflegabble of BMW lexicon this is not a recall but a replacement based on a Service Information Bulletin...

Sorry guys but BMW really does have their heads up their collective asses...owners should be contacted since many don't have a clue about this EWS issue and could get stranded before finding out...

Double edged sword..I hate to turn loose a BMW mechanic on my bike...especially if BMW is not paying them for the time it really takes...simply amazing that all the way around BMW is "cheaping out"...WTF Over.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:40 PM   #2844
vortex516
canadian n00b

Oddometer: 13
Pissed grrrr....

just had this EWS bulls**t happen to me....1200 km's on it. at least i was in an accessible place. just lame. but hey, at least the towing was free...
vortex516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:36 PM   #2845
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

On What Bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortex516
just had this EWS bulls**t happen to me....1200 km's on it. at least i was in an accessible place. just lame. but hey, at least the towing was free...
Vortex...What bike? Free towing? Guess again..we all pay a premium.. a big one when we buy the overpriced bike...

Sorry you got snake bit..
Old 07-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #2846
vortex516
canadian n00b

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
Vortex...What bike? Free towing? Guess again..we all pay a premium.. a big one when we buy the overpriced bike...

Sorry you got snake bit..
sorry Wallowa, it's a 1200GS...I guess it just makes a guy a little p.o'd...could be worse though, I could have been cruising through Guatemala! lol!
vortex516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:31 PM   #2847
nickatnite
Poster Boy for Red Death

Oddometer: 1,897
Well guys...

I'm back from my first part of my ride.

2 weeks ago, I had my 06 1200 GS at BMW Denver for the 18k service and the damn thing had the EWS fault while he was running the final diagnostics on the bike. Boy I was lucky.

Here is a little tidbit about the EWS failure.

*** BMW is NOT notifying owners as a recall.

*** You CAN call your local dealer and get the new EWS ring upgrade and BMW pays for this.

*** Also, BMW NA is only paying the dealer .7 credits to do the job, so if it takes them longer, the dealership has to eat the remaining time, but you still pay NOTHING.

The service tech that did mine has a stack of prolly 20 that he had pulled off in the last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
1-877-280-2337 ext 5616, ask for James Andrews
BMWMOA # 125735
2006 R 1200 Bayerische Motoren Werke Gelande Strasse (blue) the sexy color
nickatnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:24 PM   #2848
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,713
Do we know what model years this covers? I'm way to busy (lazy) to read the archives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite
Well guys...

Here is a little tidbit about the EWS failure.

*** BMW is NOT notifying owners as a recall.

*** You CAN call your local dealer and get the new EWS ring upgrade and BMW pays for this.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:41 PM   #2849
kam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
I'm assuming this only applies to bikes within the VIN range posted previously.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:04 PM   #2850
warden
2008 R1200GSA Adv-Broken

Oddometer: 188
Since the second antenna's gone onto my bike. I have not killed the engine with the handlebar mounted Kill Switch. It was bought up at the dealer, and again in general discussion with a Seimens/VDO employee about the possibility of this causing a failure in 'something' that destroys the antenna.

Two questions:

1) Any of you guys with failures of the newer antennas used the kill switch on the bars then found it won't start?

2) Anyone tried a 'dead' antenna on another bike? I think this has been done, but theres alot of pages to wade through

Cheers
Ben