0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2008, 05:17 AM   #2836
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack
No suspense. I just know a mechanic at a major dealership who has had to replace a couple or few of the newest number...247. He told me to continue to keep a spare handy. Probably a good idea anyway.
As for the override idea, it kind of torques me off that we have this issue and I think it would be best (although I don't know all the issues) if we had a manual override with a pin #.
Jack - while I suspect that the ECU likely has the inherent capability, I believe that BMW has not leveraged the feature with any user I/O mechanism/procedure to enter an override code sequence.

2008 R1200GS (Slate Gray Metallic Matt)
2003 R1150GS (Night Black)
PRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:39 AM   #2837
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
Following the protocol of hooking up the BMW battery charger for use of the outlet and with "Glass Matt" batteries I have never had any problems with the initiation ["hand shake"..it is very simple] or having the charger run the battery through the correct charging sequences...nothing against any other brands but the BMW sequencing charger flat works....but I do know that using an incorrect charger or allowing them to totally discharge can ruin the battery.

So far it is working great for me..
Unless software and/or the charger has changed, once the CAN-bus 'port' closes, this charger for all intents and purposes cannot serve as a long term charger. That is, the LEDs show full charge, but the port never re-opens even tho' parasitics are drawing current. My understanding is that some of the dealerships (e.g. Daytona) where customers leave their bikes on this charger all summer and return in the fall (snowbirds) they have found their batteries dead; not so with the BMW/Deltran Battery Tenders directly wired.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:54 AM   #2838
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,993
Please Explain..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
Unless software and/or the charger has changed, once the CAN-bus 'port' closes, this charger for all intents and purposes cannot serve as a long term charger. That is, the LEDs show full charge, but the port never re-opens even tho' parasitics are drawing current. My understanding is that some of the dealerships (e.g. Daytona) where customers leave their bikes on this charger all summer and return in the fall (snowbirds) they have found their batteries dead; not so with the BMW/Deltran Battery Tenders directly wired.
John,

Sorry I did not follow that....are you saying that the BMW battery charger listed in the Owner's Manual [don't have number right now] that allows charging through the accessory outlet port may fail to charge the battery even if the correct intialization sequence was followed? I have been using mine for over a year and during the winter there isn't any riding here, so it has sat on the charger for at least 5 months without being run. Perhaps I am just mis-understanding. If folks are finding dead batteries after leaving it plugged in..my bet is that they never correctly hooked it up...as you know a very specific sequence is required.

Oh yes you mentioned the LED showed full charge..it periodically cycles through all the LEDs hence there should be times when the green light is not on...
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:30 PM   #2839
BMWRich
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Well,I guess 3X's a charm!
Just heard about friend who has posted here in the past about having "two a'ring failures" just lost another one. Luckily he had an extra one with.
Supposedly he an his wife,(the wifes bike is the one with the multiple failures) are still on the road coming home,so info is still sketchy.
I'm curious as to what the "a'ring part # is" that failed.

Man talk about havin' bad luck....
Old 07-21-2008, 03:45 PM   #2840
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer: 1,150
Eh?

does anyone have reports of any 2006 HP2 Enduro with EWS failures? i still do not know anyone.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:23 PM   #2841
CATGS
Bourbon consumer

Oddometer: 710
Failure

Well, my 08 failed on the way out to Gillette.. Good thing I bought a 247 as a back-up on the way out. I was in the middle of no-where Nebraska when it let got. My 08 GSA failed with roughly 2000 miles. Sturgis BMW wouldn't get me in to fix, so I am still riding on the 247 spare. Oh, joy....
CATGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:40 PM   #2842
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
John,

Sorry I did not follow that....are you saying that the BMW battery charger listed in the Owner's Manual [don't have number right now] that allows charging through the accessory outlet port may fail to charge the battery even if the correct intialization sequence was followed? I have been using mine for over a year and during the winter there isn't any riding here, so it has sat on the charger for at least 5 months without being run. Perhaps I am just mis-understanding. If folks are finding dead batteries after leaving it plugged in..my bet is that they never correctly hooked it up...as you know a very specific sequence is required.

Oh yes you mentioned the LED showed full charge..it periodically cycles through all the LEDs hence there should be times when the green light is not on...
As far as I have been able to tell, any charger will keep the port on if you plug in the charger when the port is on. Then when the charger, any charger, goes to float and the charging current goes to nil, the port will turn off. And it will not restart unless the port is turned on again by the key. I do not think there is anything unique about the BMW charger as to turning on the port or keeping it on after going to float.
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:29 PM   #2843
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Respectfully..I Believe You Are Wrong

[quote=cjack]As far as I have been able to tell, any charger will keep the port on if you plug in the charger when the port is on. Then when the charger, any charger, goes to float and the charging current goes to nil, the port will turn off. And it will not restart unless the port is turned on again by the key. I do not think there is anything unique about the BMW charger as to turning on the port or keeping it on after going to float.[/quote]

I did not bring up [from my shop] the number of the charger required for my '07 GSA and the AGM [absorbed glass mat] battery...but once you: #1 intialize the CanBus [by turning on the ignition and allowing ECU to go through "check" intialization] and #2 then plug in the BMW charger to the accessory power outlet [under and behind left rear of seat on frame] and #3 then plug in AC power to the charger ...you turn off the key and forget about it...the charger cycles through the necessary charging sequency and the CanBus never shuts it off..period. You do not need to periodically 'restart the port'.

I do not know if other chargers are as compatible with the CanBus system as this BMW charger...and therefore I can't speak to other brands of chargers causing the port to shut down. My BMW Owners Manual is very explicit about only using this charger with the AGM/CanBus/outlet charging set-up...if you have a similar bike look it up..I seem to remember it was on page 128.

Ps..Sorry this is way off EWS.

Wallowa screwed with this post 07-21-2008 at 08:37 PM
Old 07-21-2008, 08:37 PM   #2844
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,659

There is a Manual Override for that.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:47 PM   #2845
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Damn I Love You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside
There is a Manual Override for that.

Some things in this universe are immutable...VIVA Poolboy!
Old 07-25-2008, 08:01 AM   #2846
Visigoth
Salty Pirate

Oddometer: 161
I just spoke to BMW Miami and found out that there is an official recall on this issue. I will be taking my 1200GSA in to get it replaced next week.
Adventure Touring: BMW R 1200 GS Adventure
Retired Racebikes: Honda CRF 450 R, Suzuki GSXR 600, BMW G450X
Visigoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:36 AM   #2847
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

OK..I Will Ask..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visigoth
I just spoke to BMW Miami and found out that there is an official recall on this issue. I will be taking my 1200GSA in to get it replaced next week.
"Official Recall"...How are owners going to be notified? Please ask your BMW Miami person...or did they call you?

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:40 AM   #2848
Visigoth
Salty Pirate

Oddometer: 161
I called my dealer after finding the brake line recall to see if my bike needed to come in. He asked me for my vin and told me that although I do not need to come in for the brakes that I do need to come in to get my antennae replaced. Call your dealer, don't take no for an answer!
Adventure Touring: BMW R 1200 GS Adventure
Retired Racebikes: Honda CRF 450 R, Suzuki GSXR 600, BMW G450X
Visigoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:50 AM   #2849
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

OK..But For The Record Not A Recall..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visigoth
I called my dealer after finding the brake line recall to see if my bike needed to come in. He asked me for my vin and told me that although I do not need to come in for the brakes that I do need to come in to get my antennae replaced. Call your dealer, don't take no for an answer!
I know that if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it probably is a duck...but in the official bafflegabble of BMW lexicon this is not a recall but a replacement based on a Service Information Bulletin...

Sorry guys but BMW really does have their heads up their collective asses...owners should be contacted since many don't have a clue about this EWS issue and could get stranded before finding out...

Double edged sword..I hate to turn loose a BMW mechanic on my bike...especially if BMW is not paying them for the time it really takes...simply amazing that all the way around BMW is "cheaping out"...WTF Over.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:40 PM   #2850
vortex516
canadian n00b

Oddometer: 13
Pissed grrrr....

just had this EWS bulls**t happen to me....1200 km's on it. at least i was in an accessible place. just lame. but hey, at least the towing was free...
vortex516 is offline   Reply With Quote