Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2006, 02:17 AM   #16
spanner.rash
musn't grumble

Oddometer: 32
[quote=CarbonCat]as far as i understand the ring antene is the black plastick ring around the ignition slut. i will try to look for what ever is under that and see if i can see something loose.

Sorry to give you some bad news, but this exact same thing happened on my 1200GS. The antenna ring is sealed: there's nothing you can do! There's no loose wires, there's no faulty connectors to tighten. The electronics fuck up and the antenna (the black plastic ring round where you put the key in) that "reads" your key and turns off the immobiliser just refuses to talk to the microchip in your key.
Effectively, the bike doesn't "see" your key, and therefore will not let the bike be started.
The local dealer had mine for 3 days coz they have to drill out the special bolts that hold the antenna to the bike, then special order the bolts from BMW.
I hope you get satisfaction from BMW USA. BMW UK were great with me and the dealer has been outstanding.
Best of luck.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:50 AM   #17
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,729
[QUOTE=spanner.rash]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCat
as far as i understand the ring antene is the black plastick ring around the ignition slut. i will try to look for what ever is under that and see if i can see something loose.

Sorry to give you some bad news, but this exact same thing happened on my 1200GS. The antenna ring is sealed: there's nothing you can do! There's no loose wires, there's no faulty connectors to tighten. The electronics fuck up and the antenna (the black plastic ring round where you put the key in) that "reads" your key and turns off the immobiliser just refuses to talk to the microchip in your key.
Effectively, the bike doesn't "see" your key, and therefore will not let the bike be started.
The local dealer had mine for 3 days coz they have to drill out the special bolts that hold the antenna to the bike, then special order the bolts from BMW.
I hope you get satisfaction from BMW USA. BMW UK were great with me and the dealer has been outstanding.
Best of luck.
I wonder if you can override this part of the system somehow?
Old 04-09-2006, 10:26 AM   #18
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,307
I'm sure you aren't doing this..but if you have two keys on the same ring or another key anywhere near the ignition..it will not start and show an EWS error..it (computer) gets confused and wont' start.
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:44 AM   #19
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Quote:
the main thing that scaries me now what hapenneds if shit like that hapenneds in the middle of nowhere. and BTW middle of nowhere are my favorite places to ride. another thing that is kinda stupid, they charge $20K for bike that has nothing, besides being a pure bike, so what the fuck they put that shit on it.
Could do without the JM vibe, but can't disagree in the least with the point you're making. It's electrobloat run amok, and I'd be pissed, too.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:05 PM   #20
XSNRG
Northern Michigan

Oddometer: 287
Different side of the coin.

When you typically park your $20K HP2, are you not put at ease knowing that this security feature is very effective?

Asking how to defeat it is like asking how to steal it.

To answer your question about being in the middle of now-where and having this problem.... buy a second ring and keys... learn how to swap it out.

Or did I just tell somebody how to steal your bike?

Have you tried getting a spare key from BMW lately? They want DNA samples and your first-born. I can only imagine what they would require in order to procure a second ring complete with keys.

I wonder if they can order one that matches your current code...
When you find out, please let us know. This is not common, but I think it has happened to a few machines since the R 1200 GS / HP2 / ADV came out.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:39 PM   #21
dieter von hexhead
I made a doodie...

Oddometer: 4,203
wish I could say I've never heard of this happening but....

A buch of us were down in mexico for the '05 Baja 500 and to see the only
HP2's in North America (two race bikes and two stock pre-running bikes
with 0 miles on them). Jimmy's race bike has the the antenna fritz and
they have to take a grinder and cut-off wheel to one of the brand new
pre-runner bikes....

I'd have folded like a 50 cent hanky" - boxermoose
dieter von hexhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 01:48 PM   #22
CarbonCat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSNRG
When you typically park your $20K HP2, are you not put at ease knowing that this security feature is very effective?

Asking how to defeat it is like asking how to steal it.

To answer your question about being in the middle of now-where and having this problem.... buy a second ring and keys... learn how to swap it out.

Or did I just tell somebody how to steal your bike?

Have you tried getting a spare key from BMW lately? They want DNA samples and your first-born. I can only imagine what they would require in order to procure a second ring complete with keys.

I wonder if they can order one that matches your current code...
When you find out, please let us know. This is not common, but I think it has happened to a few machines since the R 1200 GS / HP2 / ADV came out.
i pay insurance on it, i always lock it with cable/chain. it's not a collectable bike i bought it to ride it.

change of the antenna requare special tools.

Motorcycles are not my lifestyle - they are my life!
CarbonCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 02:05 PM   #23
dieter von hexhead
I made a doodie...

Oddometer: 4,203
Quote:
change of the antenna requare special tools.
don't belive there is a tool short of a drill bit that will extract the security bolts on there....

...at least I couldn't find one.

I'd have folded like a 50 cent hanky" - boxermoose
dieter von hexhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 02:09 PM   #24
CarbonCat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieter von hexhead
don't belive there is a tool short of a drill bit that will extract the security bolts on there....
...at least I couldn't find one.
one thing for sure - i'm not going to carry a hand-drill for that thing in my tool set

Old 04-10-2006, 02:15 PM   #25
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,023
Quote:
one thing for sure - i'm not going to carry a hand-drill for that thing in my tool set
I thought this was ridiculous too, when I first heard it. Chip an ignition for a bike in the middle of nowhere...smart. Somebody's gotta come up with a gerry-rig to trick it into always detecting the chip.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:58 PM   #26
phatboi
n00b

Oddometer: 3
not the key

this happened to my '05 1200GS about 2 months ago. 1st one key started to go bizzaro, (had to flip the key to get past EWS) then the other. called the dealer & made an appointment to bring it in on a Saturday morning. out of the garage & EWS!!!
BMW roadside assist sent out the biggest flatbed tow truck I'd ever seen. nothing like a flatbed to make the grrl look tiny. she looked like a marble strapped to a section of interstate!!
fast forward to the following THURSDAY. after 3 days of being stripped naked the problem was the antenae. it was replaced & the good news is everything was free!!!!!! including the embarrasing tow!!!!!
phatboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:55 AM   #27
CarbonCat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatboi
this happened to my '05 1200GS about 2 months ago. 1st one key started to go bizzaro, (had to flip the key to get past EWS) then the other. called the dealer & made an appointment to bring it in on a Saturday morning. out of the garage & EWS!!!
BMW roadside assist sent out the biggest flatbed tow truck I'd ever seen. nothing like a flatbed to make the grrl look tiny. she looked like a marble strapped to a section of interstate!!
fast forward to the following THURSDAY. after 3 days of being stripped naked the problem was the antenae. it was replaced & the good news is everything was free!!!!!! including the embarrasing tow!!!!!
Hey!
welcome aboard!

I think it's my antenna too. well it was dead before my second key started to go bizzaro...

how long was the towing distance?

how is it working now? any problems since then?

Old 04-12-2006, 01:51 PM   #28
CarbonCat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Pissed bad news.....

BMW roadside assist send some idiot to pick the bike, the guy didn't had a clue how to strap it to the truck.

But that's not the worst part. i had to pay $266 out of pocket - thanks BMW NA!!! they didn't want to tell me what is going to be the price on transportation of the bike, they just said the they will cover $100. when i asked what would be my part they said that operator will tell me at the place. it turns out that if i would rent pickup truck it would be $35 a day....

but they assured me that next time it hapenneds they with send the service again. i wanted to tell that lady:"fuck you!", but something told me that i shouldn't....

fuck, i'm so pissed off

Old 04-12-2006, 02:05 PM   #29
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,729
Quote:
BMW roadside assist send some idiot to pick the bike, the guy didn't had a clue how to strap it to the truck.

But that's not the worst part. i had to pay $266 out of pocket - thanks BMW NA!!! they didn't want to tell me what is going to be the price on transportation of the bike, they just said the they will cover $100. when i asked what would be my part they said that operator will tell me at the place. it turns out that if i would rent pickup truck it would be $35 a day....

but they assured me that next time it hapenneds they with send the service again. i wanted to tell that lady:"fuck you!", but something told me that i shouldn't....

fuck, i'm so pissed off
BMW roadside has always been the biggest joke, better off having AAA.

Please keep us informed on BMW's findings and excuses and or if they offer any alternatives to something like this happening again.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:22 PM   #30
CarbonCat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boejangles
BMW roadside has always been the biggest joke, better off having AAA.

Please keep us informed on BMW's findings and excuses and or if they offer any alternatives to something like this happening again.
sure , i will do it. as soon as i know more i will keep posting here until the problem is resolved.

boejangles,
what is the best way to get in touch with you? i tryed the office phone but i guess you are not there. my seat build date is getting closer , and i would hate to miss it. just wanted to talk to you about the options.
Thanks!