Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2007, 09:57 PM   #286
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,751

The antenna windings are designed to work in concentric alignment, but they may also work in parallel alignment. There is much less chance of an EWS ignition key working when the antenna windings are aligned perpendicular to each other.

Attached Images

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:41 PM   #287
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta
I would doubt that even in S FL that the KGT would outsell the RGS as much as 5:1. Overall I'd say the RGS is 30% of overall BMW Units sold and the KGT would be lucky if its over 10% of total units
of course, your thoughts make sense
but....
at BMW of Tampa.... Eurocycles of Tampa Bay

they've sold about 3.5:1 KGT:GS/GS Adv
for whatever reason
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:25 AM   #288
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Immobilizer Antenna Ring Issue

Moderator: In the event you believe this should be moved, I thought since this a CAN-bus issue, GSpot likely forum.

For those that are not following some of the issues surrounding the immobilizer ring failures, here's some pertinent information. Essentially, the immobilizer antenna ring transmits/passes the coded information in the key (electronic 'chip') to the ECU (electronic control unit), without which the cycle will not start.

Here's is what I have learned from the dealer I use:

1. Failures are occurring, but not epidemic proportions. As a large dealer they have had a 'few'. Seems there's also a NEW part number for this ring so BMW may be correcting the problem with a new part.
2. The antenna ring part number is common among ALL CAN-bus models; it is NEITHER VIN NOR MODEL SPECIFIC.
3. Some dealers are now 'stocking' the part for the service department.
4. I'm a crazy so I ordered one for myself, to throw in my 'tool' bag if/when I ever 'tour' out of my dealer area to another dealer area. In fact I will always carry it.
5. The suggested retail is $155. Seems stupid that I am buying one, but God forbid you 'crap' out, well, you are SOL until the dealer can get one from Germany.
6. It is NOT a user installed part. The technician showed me where/how it's installed and there are 'special' fasteners that need a special tool. Ever see those fasteners in men's rooms that you can screw them in but cannot unscrew them. Similar fastener. Besides, it looks like lots of work to get to it.

And while most would agree that this should be BMW's responsibility and one should not have to purchase this part. If going to BFE, well, I'd prefer to make sure I had one. I presume I will take heat on that stance.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:38 AM   #289
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,690
Majorly 205 news around here, will awake the mods and let them merge it.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:39 AM   #290
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Majorly 205 news around here, will awake the mods and let them merge it.
Sorry, I don't know what 205 news means?
Old 07-13-2007, 06:45 AM   #291
jsdc2005
99%er

Oddometer: 634
It is 205, but if you're looking for reassurance that your spending $155 wasn't a bad idea, I'll give it. I'm sure that even if you never need it you can always sell it to someone who does. Possibly at a markup, to recoup some of the cash you sunk into that cruise control.
jsdc2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:46 AM   #292
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdc2005
It is 205, but if you're looking for reassurance that your spending $155 wasn't a bad idea, I'll give it. I'm sure that even if you never need it you can always sell it to someone who does. Possibly at a markup, to recoup some of the cash you sunk into that cruise control.
I'm guessing, but I honestly do not know what 205 means. Maybe I'll Google it???
Old 07-13-2007, 07:00 AM   #293
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
I'm guessing, but I honestly do not know what 205 means. Maybe I'll Google it???
It's a JM ADVRider slang term indicating the issue may have been beaten to death not even a few days ago. If we all used the search feature prior to posting there'd be about a 1/100 of the content around here though, lol
Old 07-13-2007, 07:05 AM   #294
JEFFR259
What the hell?

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
6. It is NOT a user installed part. The technician showed me where/how it's installed and there are 'special' fasteners that need a special tool. Ever see those fasteners in men's rooms that you can screw them in but cannot unscrew them. Similar fastener. Besides, it looks like lots of work to get to it.

You are 100% correct on this. Cancel your order on the ring, it is not something you are going to be able to do on the side of the road.

The handlebars must be removed, and the "triple clamp" must come completely off the bike. Then, after disconnecting the connectors for the ring, the triple clamp must be flipped over on a workbench to remove the ring assy. The special bolts that hold it in are actually "one way" bolts. That is, they are "stepped" so that they can only be screwed in (clockwise) and not unscrewed (countercw). So, we here at our store have to drill them out, remove the ring assy and unscrew the stud of the drilled bolts with vice grips. We then replace with standard bolts in the case it needs to be replace again. The reason they use these funky bolts is for security reasons. BUT, I highly doubt a thief is going to take the time to remove the handlebars, drill out the bolts and remove the ring antenna to start the bike (which wouldnt work anyways). Put the $155 back in your pocket

2008 Triumph Street Triple
2008 Triumph Bonneville Black (Hers- or so she's told )

"A revolution is coming - a revolution which will be peaceful if we are wise enough; compassionate if we care enough; successful if we are fortunate enough - but a revolution which is coming whether we will it or not. We can affect its character, we cannot alter its inevitability. "
-John F. Kennedy
JEFFR259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:08 AM   #295
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFR259
You are 100% correct on this. Cancel your order on the ring, it is not something you are going to be able to do on the side of the road.

The handlebars must be removed, and the "triple clamp" must come completely off the bike. Then, after disconnecting the connectors for the ring, the triple clamp must be flipped over on a workbench to remove the ring assy. The special bolts that hold it in are actually "one way" bolts. That is, they are "stepped" so that they can only be screwed in (clockwise) and not unscrewed (countercw). So, we here at our store have to drill them out, remove the ring assy and unscrew the stud of the drilled bolts with vice grips. We then replace with standard bolts in the case it needs to be replace again. The reason they use these funky bolts is for security reasons. BUT, I highly doubt a thief is going to take the time to remove the handlebars, drill out the bolts and remove the ring antenna to start the bike (which wouldnt work anyways). Put the $155 back in your pocket
[/LEFT]
Ummm Jeff, not exactly true. Think outside of the box here. It is not something you can do the first time on the side of the road per an OEM manual procedure. But if you have a spare antennae it will very easily plug into the wiring harness and with a few clips of the tie wraps holding the harness in place the spare antennae will at least be in a position to recognize the coded key and get you home, it just wont look pretty.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:10 AM   #296
jsdc2005
99%er

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFR259

[/left]
I think his point, which is a good one, was that if he has a problem he can still have a dealer install the part, the problem being that many dealers do not have the part or find it backordered. Another possible solution that someone else posted is to have a dealer drill out the bolts and install user-removable ones so that you CAN fix it yourself if it fails on the side of the road. It's not such a bad idea to carry a spare if you can afford being out the $155. And if you can't, why are you riding a GS ADV with aftermarket cruise control
jsdc2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:24 AM   #297
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It's a JM ADVRider slang term indicating the issue may have been beaten to death not even a few days ago. If we all used the search feature prior to posting there'd be about a 1/100 of the content around here though, lol
May I refer to you as Bobby, and I think you may know a friend of mine on the I-BMW.COM forum, Doug L. from Clarkeville.

This whole issue of search function, 205 slang, etc. was recently exercised a bit in the a recent thread that was, and I paraphrase because I'm too lazy to look up in the search, "ARE THREADS GETTING DUMBER" or something along those lines. There were a lot of sarcastic remarks and also a lot of wisdom in some of the replies. I am guessing people post for different reasons. Some may be noble, some by be for less than noble reasons. But having been on other forums (I'm relatively new here) for a long time, well, the search function issue and dumb posts gets beaten to death. In the final analysis we all have the option of reading, not reading, helping, not helping, partcipating, not participating. This forum is so active that it's easy to miss something for just one day's absence, forget a week.
If a MOD, or ADMIN deems it necessary to MOVE, EDIT, or DELETE, that's fine by me. But seems the MODS and ADMINS are a lot more tolerant than that.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:24 AM   #298
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdc2005
It's not such a bad idea to carry a spare if you can afford being out the $155. And if you can't, why are you riding a GS ADV with aftermarket cruise control
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:26 AM   #299
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonebag
Touche...I wasn't bitching about the price, honestly. But, nice to see you have a good memory OR checked the profile/recent threads/posts.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:28 AM   #300
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

see here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245456