0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2008, 02:21 PM   #3076
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
...deactivation method that nobody has discovered...
You must need an entitlement program or something, Phil. You know, to think and act for you, heh heh.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:23 PM   #3077
Poolside
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Well, BMW must be listening because on the K1300, the immobilizer is optional! Let's hope it trickles down to their other models.

Ya, bmw should have recalled all the affected bikes, not just those who happen to ride in for service... but.. ADVrider inmates who are on here regularly had their antennae replaced, thanks to the timely info that appears here!
True enough, Rick!

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 10-22-2008, 02:25 PM   #3078
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,571
Helge doesn't give part numbers, but I know he carries a spare ring for his HP2, so he must have lent it to the affected rider. It sounds like they had gotten old stock with the previous part number ending in 207, which was prone to be DOA out of the box.

Now... let's see if the immobilizer will become an added cost option on future models.. here's to hoping..
Old 10-22-2008, 02:33 PM   #3079
Poolside
Syndicated

Quote:
Now... let's see if the immobilizer will become an added cost option on future models.. here's to hoping..

...BMW must be listening because on the K1300, the immobilizer is optional!
Nice. If the EWS is optional then the dealer diagnostic equipment can set the ECU to work with or without an EWS, as has always been the case. You know, similar to how the ECU can be set to operate with ABS or non-ABS, or Active Stability Control or non-Active Stability Control.

And, I'm with you on the EWS feature as optional across the board.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:43 PM   #3080
Synisalo
Adventure wannabe

Oddometer: 103
Just today...

I got a phone call from my dealer ( Hermes in central PA ) Telling me that my 07 GS had 4 recalls on it. and one was the Antenna ring. ( others were the brake lines, and two software updates )

So is the antenna recall now? Or is this just initiative on the dealers part? if so, I have to applaud the dealer for being proactive and calling me to have this work done.

It all gets done in two weeks. Never had a problem, but hey, free parts...

---------------------------------------------------

I often wonder why I am still alive with all the dumb things I have done... Then logic gets the better of me, and I wonder why I am not dead.
Synisalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:58 PM   #3081
DaneelOlivaw
Irv Seaver BMW; Parts Mgr

Oddometer: 439
When the -247 antenna first came out, around 29Apr08, all BMW dealers were sent a direct message telling them to return immediately all non-247 antennas. The return offer would not be counted against the dealer's annual accrued-obsolescence return privelage.

There was immediate and ample supply of the -247'S from that same day. No dealer should have held any non-247's after the -247 launch date. It was and is unneccessary and wrong for any dealer to sell any client any non-247 antenna since 29Apr08.

We have sold 213 -247's. Zero have come back to us as failed.
DaneelOlivaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:59 AM   #3082
Rangy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Rang dealer. He said keep trying, dont wait for the "startup sequence" - did that and once, it went. I rode off home.

Had this EWS fault with my 07'MM. Used the above technique and it worked for about 15 - 20 times before I could get it to the dealer. Hit start as soon as you turn on the key. Maybe just lucky.
Rangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:46 AM   #3083
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
Quote:
Well, BMW must be listening because on the K1300, the immobilizer is optional!
I don't think so.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:04 AM   #3084
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader
I don't think so.
You don't think it is optional or you don't think BMW is listening? According to the specs on the official website, it is optional on the new K1300GT (unless dealers order all of them with it) so I assume you are referring to BMW listening but it wasn't clear to me.

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:55 AM   #3085
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpower
You don't think it is optional or you don't think BMW is listening? According to the specs on the official website, it is optional on the new K1300GT (unless dealers order all of them with it) so I assume you are referring to BMW listening but it wasn't clear to me.

JDP
A line from BMW Motorrad at the INTERMOT 2008

Electronic immobiliser featured as standard.

I know that it was listed somewhere as part of the optional equipment, but I would be surprised if that was not a mistake or mis-translation.
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:57 AM   #3086
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,571
It may be standards in Germany to have the immobilizer as it may be TUV (their DOT) mandated. In Canada, all cars must have a built in electronic immoblizer as of 2009 or 2010.

So, maybe for the US market, the immobilizer may be an option, we'll see.. I kinda doubt it's going to be an option.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:39 PM   #3087
Dave MM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
EWS - Other faults

Hello All.

No, i haven't read all 3000 posts about this fault.

I have a 2006 1200GS that has displayed an EWS fault. The difference with mine is that it starts for a couple of seconds then stops and displays EWS. Have also found that if i hold the throttle on and rev it at about 4000RPM i can convince the bike that it should be running and eventually after 30 seconds or so all returns to normal. Typically the EWS error seems to result in the bike being completely dead and not turning over at all. Mine does start but then stops. This problem is totally intermittent just to make it interesting.

My dealer has advised me that the EWS error can relate to other faults as well as the antenna ring issue. They "think" it may be a fuel pump module or something but don't really know.

Has anyone heard of the EWS fault being related to anything other than the antenna ring issue?

Dave
Dave MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:55 PM   #3088
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave MM
Has anyone heard of the EWS fault being related to anything other than the antenna ring issue?
Yes. Start with having your battery load tested.

// marc
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:06 AM   #3089
Dave MM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Question

[Yes. Start with having your battery load tested.]

Okay..... Thank you for the reply. Then what?

Just what am i looking for? The battery is fine and i believe is completely unrelated to the problem.

You replied "yes" to having an EWS error indicating another fault. Any chance you could be a little more specific in regards to the problem and symptoms you experienced? Did the bike start and die after a few seconds? Was it hard to start? Was the problem intermittent or did it get progressively worse and then fix itself with a new battery?

Thanks again

Dave
Dave MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:47 AM   #3090
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave MM
[Yes. Start with having your battery load tested.]

Okay..... Thank you for the reply. Then what?

Just what am i looking for? The battery is fine and i believe is completely unrelated to the problem.

You replied "yes" to having an EWS error indicating another fault. Any chance you could be a little more specific in regards to the problem and symptoms you experienced? Did the bike start and die after a few seconds? Was it hard to start? Was the problem intermittent or did it get progressively worse and then fix itself with a new battery?

Thanks again

Dave
He meant yes, the battery can cause issues with the EWS. Also, if you have other problems, like with your key, you can get an EWS.

As for the start then die, no, that is not an EWS issue, or hard starting, but a battery could cause that, or a bad connection. How did you load test your battery?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote