0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2007, 07:32 AM   #301
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta
If your intent was to justify your original '205' comment reply OR 'call me' on missing this thread or not using the search funcion, well, you win! Perhaps, just perhaps, others have missed it as well.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:46 AM   #302
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
If your intent was to justify your original '205' comment reply OR 'call me' on missing this thread or not using the search funcion, well, you win! Perhaps, just perhaps, others have missed it as well.
No justification or debate necessary, just trying to help ya out on some reading material
Old 07-13-2007, 08:07 AM   #303
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,372
By the way...It says 155 on max's site but when you hit buy...it goes to 122.00
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:12 AM   #304
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,551
merged this one with the previous one.. maybe I'll change the title and call it: EWS immobilizer antenna threadfest
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 01:34 PM   #305
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
maybe I'll call it: EWS immobilizer antenna threadfest

BINGO
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:13 PM   #306
Giuseppe
Medium-Viz

Oddometer: 469
Paging Bobby to the Red Courtesy Phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonebag
And it wont' mess up anyones bike..having two keys..whether same or different chipped keys..very close together, like on a key ring, will cause the engine not to start..I imagine you could remove your key and shuv it over by your buddies ignition while he was starting his for a laugh..kind of like reaching over at a stop light and turning his ignition off...
OK, Bobby, here's your chance to clear up another Internet myth: I've been told by dealers and riders that placing one BMW (EWS chip) key too close to another BMW key (car or MC) will screw up the keys and render their RF chip(s) useless for starting one or both vehicles.

Is this true, or is it just a case of two keys on the same ring interfering with each other's signal when trying to start a vehicle? Thanks in advance...
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:49 PM   #307
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe
OK, Bobby, here's your chance to clear up another Internet myth: I've been told by dealers and riders that placing one BMW (EWS chip) key too close to another BMW key (car or MC) will screw up the keys and render their RF chip(s) useless for starting one or both vehicles.

Is this true, or is it just a case of two keys on the same ring interfering with each other's signal when trying to start a vehicle? Thanks in advance...
there is NO way that is true
the "CODE" is PERMANENTLY encoded to that key and can't be altered by any proximity issue(s)

otherwise..... keys would become "useless" all the time
since almost every car/bike manufacturer uses coded keys now....
you can bet they are VERY STABLE
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
Old 07-13-2007, 08:23 PM   #308
mrmaico
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
there is NO way that is true
the "CODE" is PERMANENTLY encoded to that key and can't be altered by any proximity issue(s)

otherwise..... keys would become "useless" all the time
since almost every car/bike manufacturer uses coded keys now....
you can bet they are VERY STABLE

From the 2005 GS owners manual: A spare key attached to the same ring as the ignition key used to start the engine could 'irritate' the electronics, in which case the enabling signal for the ignition, fuel supply and starter is not issued. Under these circumstances the motorcycle will refuse to start. Consequently always keep the spare key or keys separate from the ignition key.
mrmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:52 PM   #309
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaico
From the 2005 GS owners manual: A spare key attached to the same ring as the ignition key used to start the engine could 'irritate' the electronics, in which case the enabling signal for the ignition, fuel supply and starter is not issued. Under these circumstances the motorcycle will refuse to start. Consequently always keep the spare key or keys separate from the ignition key.
The highlighted portion is the "key" It is only a problem if the antennae sees more then one coded chip when it polls upon the ignition switch being turned.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:01 PM   #310
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,547
BOBBY a bit of help please

what about the K1200GT ( 2007)....is it easy to use a ring like on the GS's?

MY gt left me stranded. i would like to keep it but can not be left stranded again. The dealer that fixed it , has no idea why the ant breaks. Do you think it will happen again or is the repalcement ring ant better...this is super important to me as I think I have it sold. Would like to keep it , if there is a work around and i have the ability to do the ring thing. Also does the ring have to stay connected after engine is started? What if one were to leave key in...would that lessen chance of malfunction? ( i know it does not help with thief problem)

Do you think the megga moto will have an ring ant/ key combo?

thanks ..big time!
Old 07-14-2007, 04:51 AM   #311
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racegun
what about the K1200GT ( 2007)....is it easy to use a ring like on the GS's?

MY gt left me stranded. i would like to keep it but can not be left stranded again. The dealer that fixed it , has no idea why the ant breaks. Do you think it will happen again or is the repalcement ring ant better...this is super important to me as I think I have it sold. Would like to keep it , if there is a work around and i have the ability to do the ring thing. Also does the ring have to stay connected after engine is started? What if one were to leave key in...would that lessen chance of malfunction? ( i know it does not help with thief problem)

Do you think the megga moto will have an ring ant/ key combo?

thanks ..big time!

All new BMW's use the same ring antenna. Faiulre of this item has been reported on bikes with low mileage, i.e. fairly new. Your KGT's setup is identical to the GS's. If you're that worried about it, buy yourself a spare antenna ($122 from Max BMW) and keep it handy. Familiarize yourself with how to unplug the wiring harness from your bike's antenna and try it on the spare one, just in case it happens on the road, you'll know exactly what to do. Leaving the key in the ignition makes no difference. Every time you start the bike, the BMS-K computer sends a signal to the chip in the key, if it doesn't receive the correct code, it will not allow the bike to start.

I saw the mega moto in person yesterday and it has it. All new bikes have it. I chatted with the race crew racing the R1200S and it also has it. But it looks like they have removed the cover with the 2 security screws so the wiring harness going into the antenna is easily accessible.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:57 AM   #312
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaico
thanks for that quote
i appreciate it

it's just so weird that you NEVER hear of this problem in an automobile....
and THEY ALL have had this sysstem for years..... and everyone of us has several keys on our ring when we drive

WHY is that?
Old 07-14-2007, 05:02 AM   #313
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Thumb

Quote:
All new BMW's use the same ring antenna. Faiulre of this item has been reported on bikes with low mileage, i.e. fairly new. Your KGT's setup is identical to the GS's. If you're that worried about it, buy yourself a spare antenna ($122 from Max BMW) and keep it handy. Familiarize yourself with how to unplug the wiring harness from your bike's antenna and try it on the spare one, just in case it happens on the road, you'll know exactly what to do. Leaving the key in the ignition makes no difference. Every time you start the bike, the BMS-K computer sends a signal to the chip in the key, if it doesn't receive the correct code, it will not allow the bike to start.

I saw the mega moto in person yesterday and it has it. All new bikes have it. I chatted with the race crew racing the R1200S and it also has it. But it looks like they have removed the cover with the 2 security screws so the wiring harness going into the antenna is easily accessible.

thx so much !
Old 07-14-2007, 05:07 AM   #314
GB
Mod Squad

I'm going back to the Mosport race track today, I will take a picture of how the R1200S race bikes are setup around the ring antenna, so you get an idea of what it looks like with the cover removed. I am going the race techs why they have removed the cover on the antenna, i.e. did you have an EWS issue.. I believe to remove those 2 screws you need to drill them out, which you might want to do in comfort of your own garage.

Then if you have an issue, you unplug the harness from the antenna attached to the triple clamp and plug it into the spare one, and you pass the key through it and into the key hole, it won't be pretty but it will work.

I still want to know the part number for the extension cord harness that was mentioned previously in this threadfest, because from the looks of things, the harness going into the antenna doesn't have much slack in it.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:21 AM   #315
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Quote:
I'm going back to the Mosport race track today, I will take a picture of how the R1200S race bikes are setup around the ring antenna, so you get an idea of what it looks like with the cover removed. I am going the race techs why they have removed the cover on the antenna, i.e. did you have an EWS issue.. I believe to remove those 2 screws you need to drill them out, which you might want to do in comfort of your own garage.

Then if you have an issue, you unplug the harness from the antenna attached to the triple clamp and plug it into the spare one, and you pass the key through it and into the key hole, it won't be pretty but it will work.

I still want to know the part number for the extension cord harness that was mentioned previously in this threadfest, because from the looks of things, the harness going into the antenna doesn't have much slack in it.
will there be megga motos racing there? I called several dealerships in US and they all say no megga here till fall....