0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2009, 09:11 AM   #3151
nevermind
Swamp Thing

Oddometer: 2,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw
[?] Which BMW motorcycles are affected, what year of construction? Can it be fixed?
[Probst] The affected motorcycles are from the F the R and also the K range which were produced from 1st august 2006 to 15th March 2008.

[?] How many cases have been dealt with under warranty so far?
[Probst] We have no definite figures since there is a delay between submitted warranty claims and the models already converted. We guess that a minimum of 50% of the affected motorcycles have been fitted with a new circular antenna.

Wow! A minimum of a 50% failure rate or they have replaced 50%?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
If you have anything other than the -247 ring you need to get it replaced, under warranty, by the dealer!

Jim

I just had a '08 delivered new, with a 2/2008 manufacture date that has the -136 antenna. I'll have to schedule the replacement ASAP. I was planning on doing the 600 mile service myself but I may let them set the valves to spec and re-torque the heads while they have it.

This site is great..

nevermind screwed with this post 01-24-2009 at 09:19 AM
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #3152
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lost
Wow! A minimum of a 50% failure rate or they have replaced 50%?

This site is great..
Not a 50% failure rate, 50% replaced. Most were replaced before they had a chance to fail.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #3153
Haroon
RIDE for PASSION

Oddometer: 540
I ride a 1100RT (since 1998), but now planning on trading it in for an unused 05' 1200GS (from the dealer).

The EWS failure discussion is something I have been following closely here & in other forums and since I plan to do some rides in places without a BMW dealer, I am really concerned if the GS would be a right choice (already knowing of the uncertain EWS failure), especially, since my RT has been an epitome of reliability and is a very straight forward bike (only hate its hazard light switch on the dashboard!).

After using & getting to know BMW bikes, I am an absolute BMW loyalist and wanting to keep this new bike for a long time to come, personally the GS rules over a V-Strom or KTM (although they are fantastic bikes IMO), but I am in a very confused state. Any suggestions/inputs would be welcome. Thanks.
Haroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:57 PM   #3154
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,173
Confused State?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon
I ride a 1100RT (since 1998), but now planning on trading it in for an unused 05' 1200GS (from the dealer).

The EWS failure discussion is something I have been following closely here & in other forums and since I plan to do some rides in places without a BMW dealer, I am really concerned if the GS would be a right choice (already knowing of the uncertain EWS failure), especially, since my RT has been an epitome of reliability and is a very straight forward bike (only hate its hazard light switch on the dashboard!).

After using & getting to know BMW bikes, I am an absolute BMW loyalist and wanting to keep this new bike for a long time to come, personally the GS rules over a V-Strom or KTM (although they are fantastic bikes IMO), but I am in a very confused state. Any suggestions/inputs would be welcome. Thanks.
Haroon,

First, there are many BMW experts, some real and some not, I am certainly not an expert on BMWs....but your 'state of confusion' is itself very confusing...I assume you are a Saudi and this just could be a language issue...

But if you have read all or even most of the posts concerning the EWS problems and you are still confused....I suggest no amount of further advice will help you make an informed decision...

For example you are considering buying an '05 GS...a bike that doesn't have a history of EWS issues.....this is from a previous post..

"Which BMW motorcycles are affected, what year of construction? Can it be fixed?
[Probst] The affected motorcycles are from the F the R and also the K range which were produced from 1st august 2006 to 15th March 2008."

Now a question for you...your dealer has an "unused" '05 GS? How did that happen?

Lastly, although not a popular position...don't be an "absolute BMW loyalist"...be an informed and discerning bike owner/rider...any brand has flaws...it is just that BMW never admits their's

Get the GS and enjoy a wonderful bike...of course I much prefer my '07 GSA!
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:53 PM   #3155
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
Haroon,

Now a question for you...your dealer has an "unused" '05 GS? How did that happen?
Seems like the dealer ordered it and nobody bought it yet
05-GS- Rock Red 91k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:40 PM   #3156
Haroon
RIDE for PASSION

Thanks Wallowa and Shag for the prompt response.

Actually, my being a BMW loyalist is not just blind brand loyality, but having owned and ridden a variety of bikes including BMW, I am more inclined on the BMW for their superior overall build quality, reliability & durability (I dont change my bike every other year). Besides, I like the shaft drive anyday.

The confusion was coz the GS is what I want at the back of my head as I plan to take some trips in places where asphalt may not always be silky smooth like Saudi Arabia and the GS with crash protection may come out of a small fall much better than an RT. But the EWS having to screw up a trip in say India (I am an Indian) or some other middle-eastern country with no BMW bike dealer, was something that went on flashing for me. I did see the manufacture dates of affected units in the earlier discussions, but since we dont have too many GS bikes here, I was not sure if earlier bikes have also been affected. Anyways, I am more positive on the GS now and hope to get that bike.

As for the 'unused'- the dealer here started operations about 3 years back and brought in an 'earlier year model' for whatever reasons(!). At that time they also had a special offer on the discontinued 04' K1200RS for the equivalent of US$ 9,000 and since 'sports' bikes are more liked here, they sold a lot of those RS bikes. But then a good number of BMW/Harley riders in this part of the world buy the bike as a fashion statement and hence they want the latest model bike and I guess this bike stayed back in the showroom. I dont belong to the "18,000 dollars & 18 miles per week makes you biker" category and hence if I get a good deal on that GS, I will just take it and ride it as much as I can. Afterall, post-purchase I know I can depend on this forum for any query/assistance related to GS due to the vast information available here & friendly people to guide me.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:07 AM   #3157
adamr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Some of us carry spare rings, just incase. You can plug it in if you run into probelms, hold a spare key next to it and start the bike. The exact procedure is buried in here somewhere.
adamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:27 AM   #3158
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Afterall, post-purchase I know I can depend on this forum for any query/assistance related to GS due to the vast information available here & friendly people to guide me.
I think the 05 is a good bike but it has issues that get corrected in the warranty period. EWS is not one of them but you are likely to need a warranty on the bike or face some expensive repairs.
A 05 with a warranty would be a good buy or an 05 with over 20,000 or so miles would likely be good.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:51 AM   #3159
Haroon
RIDE for PASSION

@ Adamr- I remember seeing some inputs on carrying a spare ring. I will indeed search it and consider that as well.

@ Mudcat- I will be getting a dealer warranty. So I hope that will take care of it.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:55 AM   #3160
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,380
Haroon, 05's are not affected by the EWS recall, as the antenna on the 05's has been quite reliable, but carrying a spare is not a bad idea. In the US, they sell for around $35.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:54 PM   #3161
Haroon
RIDE for PASSION

Thanks Gadget Boy. The spare ring will be the first thing on my shopping list after getting the GS.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:52 PM   #3162
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,173
Good Call..Cheap Insurance..

Quote:
Thanks Gadget Boy. The spare ring will be the first thing on my shopping list after getting the GS.
Don't forget the 10Torx wrench to remove the cover to the plug [when plugging in the backup antenna]...I taped a T10 to my spare -247 antenna..

Wished I could afford to ship my bike over there and ride with you to India after your get your GS...my son is in Istanbul and I would love to visit him and his new bride.... and ride that adventure path to India..some day.
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:25 PM   #3163
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,264
Quote:
Haroon. There were several recalls on my 05.
You may want to ask the dealer if they have done these modifications to that bike yet.

Front brake banjo bolt modification (replacement)
Front brake ABS wire routing change
Fuel pump O-ring seal.

There is also a firmware upgrade that I believe is a no charge item.

You don't need to carry a spare EWS ring on an 05
05-GS- Rock Red 91k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:07 PM   #3164
Haroon
RIDE for PASSION

Thanks Shag. Wow- That is some valuable information on the 05 bikes. I have made note of the items you mentioned to check with the dealer. I will anyway keep a spare ring 'just in case'.

Thanks Wallowa. Will keep that in mind on the 10Torx.
OT- God willing, next winter myself & better-half plan on doing a peninsula loop covering 3 southern states, mostly riding along the coast. Kerala state is one fascinating place.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:50 PM   #3165
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,913
I've an '05 so don't apparently have to worry about immobilizer issues. However, if for some reason I ever have to get to it I will first pull the headlight bucket. Pull out the parking lamp, disconnect two electrical connections, remove 2 screws, and it is sitting in your hand leaving lots of space to access the antenna.

It doesn't take long at all to remove the bucket.

marchyman screwed with this post 04-21-2014 at 10:49 AM Reason: Fix broken links
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote