View Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2014, 04:32 AM   #3241
drmajor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Ews

My 07 failed on a 95 degree day. Stopped to get gas, then nothing.

I seem to remember there was a work around for emergencies.. kinda like a hot wire.??? Wish I knew where that link was.
drmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:59 AM   #3242
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmajor View Post
My 07 failed on a 95 degree day. Stopped to get gas, then nothing.

I seem to remember there was a work around for emergencies.. kinda like a hot wire.??? Wish I knew where that link was.
the only work around is to carry a spare EWS antenna and to disconnect the one mounted on the bike, plug the spare into the wiring harness there and place it near the starter key, then it should start. BMW did not see the need to provide a back up PIN code option to start the bike, like some other bike manufacturers.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:55 PM   #3243
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,169
How Would That Work?

[QUOTE=GB;24103217]the only work around is to carry a spare EWS antenna and to disconnect the one mounted on the bike, plug the spare into the wiring harness there and place it near the starter key, then it should start. BMW did not see the need to provide a back up PIN code option to start the bike, like some other bike manufacturers.[/QUOTE]

How would a "back up PIN" be used in the field as a work around?

I thought the backup codes [10?] were coded into the bike's ECU [by VIN] and only a BMW dealer could assign a new PIN [code], from those assigned to that VIN, at a dealership. Then of course sell you new keys with that new code.

If there really is a work around besides plugging in a new antennae to utilize the existing PIN I sure would be all ears. Yes, I carry a spare antenna and 10 Torx to wire it in.
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:29 PM   #3244
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,370
On a Ducati, if the bike fails to start due to an issue with the electronic key, you can bypass it by entering a 4 digit PIN thru the menu toggle switch on the left switch gear. You can also use this method if you lost or forgot your key. On Harley, I've been told it's by entering a combination using the left and right turn signal buttons, but I have no personal knowledge of the HD system. The Ducati numeric PIN is easy to enter. It's the first thing you have to do when you take ownership of the bike, create your own PIN.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #3245
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,169
Unless..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
On a Ducati, if the bike fails to start due to an issue with the electronic key, you can bypass it by entering a 4 digit PIN thru the menu toggle switch on the left switch gear. You can also use this method if you lost or forgot your key. On Harley, I've been told it's by entering a combination using the left and right turn signal buttons, but I have no personal knowledge of the HD system. The Ducati numeric PIN is easy to enter. It's the first thing you have to do when you take ownership of the bike, create your own PIN.
Unless a Yoda can produce such a work around for us...we BMW owners either patch in a new antenna until we can get to BMW dealer or call a tow truck to take us there...CUZ it is a stop-right-there issue..
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote