View Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2014, 04:32 AM   #3241
drmajor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Ews

My 07 failed on a 95 degree day. Stopped to get gas, then nothing.

I seem to remember there was a work around for emergencies.. kinda like a hot wire.??? Wish I knew where that link was.
drmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:59 AM   #3242
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmajor View Post
My 07 failed on a 95 degree day. Stopped to get gas, then nothing.

I seem to remember there was a work around for emergencies.. kinda like a hot wire.??? Wish I knew where that link was.
the only work around is to carry a spare EWS antenna and to disconnect the one mounted on the bike, plug the spare into the wiring harness there and place it near the starter key, then it should start. BMW did not see the need to provide a back up PIN code option to start the bike, like some other bike manufacturers.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:55 PM   #3243
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,204
How Would That Work?

[QUOTE=GB;24103217]the only work around is to carry a spare EWS antenna and to disconnect the one mounted on the bike, plug the spare into the wiring harness there and place it near the starter key, then it should start. BMW did not see the need to provide a back up PIN code option to start the bike, like some other bike manufacturers.[/QUOTE]

How would a "back up PIN" be used in the field as a work around?

I thought the backup codes [10?] were coded into the bike's ECU [by VIN] and only a BMW dealer could assign a new PIN [code], from those assigned to that VIN, at a dealership. Then of course sell you new keys with that new code.

If there really is a work around besides plugging in a new antennae to utilize the existing PIN I sure would be all ears. Yes, I carry a spare antenna and 10 Torx to wire it in.
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:29 PM   #3244
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,550
On a Ducati, if the bike fails to start due to an issue with the electronic key, you can bypass it by entering a 4 digit PIN thru the menu toggle switch on the left switch gear. You can also use this method if you lost or forgot your key. On Harley, I've been told it's by entering a combination using the left and right turn signal buttons, but I have no personal knowledge of the HD system. The Ducati numeric PIN is easy to enter. It's the first thing you have to do when you take ownership of the bike, create your own PIN.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #3245
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Unless..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
On a Ducati, if the bike fails to start due to an issue with the electronic key, you can bypass it by entering a 4 digit PIN thru the menu toggle switch on the left switch gear. You can also use this method if you lost or forgot your key. On Harley, I've been told it's by entering a combination using the left and right turn signal buttons, but I have no personal knowledge of the HD system. The Ducati numeric PIN is easy to enter. It's the first thing you have to do when you take ownership of the bike, create your own PIN.
Unless a Yoda can produce such a work around for us...we BMW owners either patch in a new antenna until we can get to BMW dealer or call a tow truck to take us there...CUZ it is a stop-right-there issue..
Old 09-26-2014, 06:21 PM   #3246
mjfields_228
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
EWS Fuckery -- 2012 GSA -- 57000 miles on the clock

I just got back last weekend from a 6000 mile Coast-to-Coast trip on my 2012 GSA and I am very thankful that this issue did not crop up while I was in BFE.

Today after work today I washed the filthy beast and then was heading out for a ride. Leaving my neighborhood she dies. I thought it might be my side stand switch but I looked at the display and saw "EWS!!" and the accompanying exclamation triangle flag.

Pushed it home, connected my GS911 and it is throwing up a 10444 fault.

I tried my other key as well and no joy.

I am betting its a bad antenna ring unless someone here knows of another failure mode that would manifest/present itself in this manner.

I am planning on replacing the failed fucker in the morning but not being mechanically inclined as I wish to be I am wondering if any of you super smart mechanically inclined folks here have come up with a better method to remove the security screws other than drilling them out. Please help! Access is horrible and I have big fat sausage hands/fingers!!!

Many many MANY thanks for any advice.

Looks like shit under there I know! But I am not sure everyone's model year uses the same style security screws so I am including this picture of mine!

IMG_4897
mjfields_228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:29 PM   #3247
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Wow..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfields_228 View Post
I just got back last weekend from a 6000 mile Coast-to-Coast trip on my 2012 GSA and I am very thankful that this issue did not crop up while I was in BFE.

Today after work today I washed the filthy beast and then was heading out for a ride. Leaving my neighborhood she dies. I thought it might be my side stand switch but I looked at the display and saw "EWS!!" and the accompanying exclamation triangle flag.

Pushed it home, connected my GS911 and it is throwing up a 10444 fault.

I tried my other key as well and no joy.

I am betting its a bad antenna ring unless someone here knows of another failure mode that would manifest/present itself in this manner.

I am planning on replacing the failed fucker in the morning but not being mechanically inclined as I wish to be I am wondering if any of you super smart mechanically inclined folks here have come up with a better method to remove the security screws other than drilling them out. Please help! Access is horrible and I have big fat sausage hands/fingers!!!

Many many MANY thanks for any advice.

Looks like shit under there I know! But I am not sure everyone's model year uses the same style security screws so I am including this picture of mine!

My understanding is that once the bike starts the antenna ring is no longer in the loop; it only "has a say" when it sends the registered code to the ECU that then OKs the start-up....after that the ring is a non-player. It doesn't "revoke" permission to run.

This is going to sound stupid...but did you check the battery connections and battery charge level? I see a lot of corrosion in your photo [actually a shocking amount...road salt?] and "EWS" is also a code for bad battery..

No idea what the "10444" code denotes...what does that mean?

Good luck...Phil
Old 09-26-2014, 06:54 PM   #3248
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,055
What Phil said. An EWS will stop your bike from starting, it will not kill a running bike. 10444 translates to " Fuse activated for component block 3 starter relay, (EWS) ring aerial, ignition coils, injectors" according to my google-fu. Check that you don't have some worn wire insulation on wires for those components that is shorting where it shouldn't.

I'd suspect starter relay or wiring before the EWS.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:04 PM   #3249
mjfields_228
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa View Post
My understanding is that once the bike starts the antenna ring is no longer in the loop; it only "has a say" when it sends the registered code to the ECU that then OKs the start-up....after that the ring is a non-player. It doesn't "revoke" permission to run.

This is going to sound stupid...but did you check the battery connections and battery charge level? I see a lot of corrosion in your photo [actually a shocking amount...road salt?] and "EWS" is also a code for bad battery..

No idea what the "10444" code denotes...what does that mean?

Good luck...Phil
Battery is snug and fully charged.

As for the terrarium going on under my triple tree yoke on the struts for the Telelever shock...... this is the first I have had my nose up in there. I think most of that will scrub off, I least I hope I live in Florida so road salt should be the culprit but high humidity and continuous riding in all other road conditions might. Now I have yet another thing to deal with!

GS911 Reads: Maybe I am dealing with more than simply a bad ring?
IMG_4899
Old 09-26-2014, 07:11 PM   #3250
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,611
But to answer one of your questions, those "one way" bolts for your ign switch get drilled and easy outed. I did plenty at the Dealer.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:24 PM   #3251
mjfields_228
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
What Phil said. An EWS will stop your bike from starting, it will not kill a running bike. 10444 translates to " Fuse activated for component block 3 starter relay, (EWS) ring aerial, ignition coils, injectors" according to my google-fu. Check that you don't have some worn wire insulation on wires for those components that is shorting where it shouldn't.

I'd suspect starter relay or wiring before the EWS.
Thanks marchyman. I am in agreement that more trouble shooting is required before simply R & Ring the EWS ring. I know where the ignition coils wires and injector harness are but do not have a clue where to trace out the starter relay wire run. Any guidance on its location would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-26-2014, 08:59 PM   #3252
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,055
The starter relay is buried deep.

Remove tank. Open the clips and flip up the cover to the control unit. Remove the control unit. There's the starter relay.

Name:  relay.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  47.7 KB

I've never been that deep into a camhead GSA... I hope it's still there!
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:53 AM   #3253
mjfields_228
Gnarly Adventurer

Found the "real" issue!!

My apologies for jumping the gun at calling out my EWS Ring!!!

Turns out I have a failed Secondary Stick Coil (left side).

I disconnected it and the fault went away. Reconnected it and the fault returned. I removed it and temp installed the Right Secondary Stick Coil just to make sure it was not the wiring harness and was no fault.

So, this really was an educational exercise. Until yesterday I never heard about EWS issues on these GS's. Moreover, until this morning I never was aware that a failed Stick Coil (shorted) could take out the electrical bus preventing the beast from starting or running.

I am very happy that the timing was perfect for this failure--that I was not 500 miles from a BMW dealer. But I am not quite as pleased with the thought of what other surprises await me in GS ownership!

Smiles and Cries.........
Old 09-27-2014, 09:34 AM   #3254
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Good Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfields_228 View Post
My apologies for jumping the gun at calling out my EWS Ring!!!

Turns out I have a failed Secondary Stick Coil (left side).

I disconnected it and the fault went away. Reconnected it and the fault returned. I removed it and temp installed the Right Secondary Stick Coil just to make sure it was not the wiring harness and was no fault.

So, this really was an educational exercise. Until yesterday I never heard about EWS issues on these GS's. Moreover, until this morning I never was aware that a failed Stick Coil (shorted) could take out the electrical bus preventing the beast from starting or running.

I am very happy that the timing was perfect for this failure--that I was not 500 miles from a BMW dealer. But I am not quite as pleased with the thought of what other surprises await me in GS ownership!

Smiles and Cries.........

Great! I also did not know that a coil failure would stop the bike...thanks for that...nice bit of detective work!

Oh, my comment about the battery connectors was not that they were loose but that they could be corroded..

Florida is indeed a rust belt...

Phil
Old 09-27-2014, 01:51 PM   #3255
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa View Post
Great! I also did not know that a coil failure would stop the bike...thanks for that...nice bit of detective work!

Oh, my comment about the battery connectors was not that they were loose but that they could be corroded..

Florida is indeed a rust belt...

Phil
ONE coil failure will not stop the bike from running. A secondary coil will only make it run slightly worse, and a primary will give a rough idle and slow acceleration, but the bike will run.
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote