No, the races are for R1200S, but the Megamoto is on display
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 06:35 AM   #317
looney
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
it's just so weird that you NEVER hear of this problem in an automobile....
and THEY ALL have had this sysstem for years..... and everyone of us has several keys on our ring when we drive

WHY is that?
Guessing:
  1. many car keys are bigger, especially those which are combined with a remote control key fob, making the distance between ring antenna and key ring w/ attached keys larger - so there is less chance of activating the wrong chip
  2. all cars I know have a nearly horizontal key hole, thus the key ring and keys are hanging away from the ring antenna. Again larger distance.
  3. at least on the GS the whole bunch of keys on the key ring lie directly on top of the ring antenna. Seems this is not only bad for the painting ...
looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:46 PM   #318
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,300
Here's the immobilizer on the race R1200S, not a very good shot, but you can see how it's stripped of the plastic cover and the wiring harness visible

Old 07-14-2007, 01:50 PM   #319
GB
Mod Squad

Chris Pfeiffer's F800 (with my son)

And the EWS shown exposed, you need to lift that little tab in the middle to permit the harness to slip out of the antenna connector.

Old 07-14-2007, 03:18 PM   #320
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by looney
Guessing:
  1. many car keys are bigger, especially those which are combined with a remote control key fob, making the distance between ring antenna and key ring w/ attached keys larger - so there is less chance of activating the wrong chip
  2. all cars I know have a nearly horizontal key hole, thus the key ring and keys are hanging away from the ring antenna. Again larger distance.
  3. at least on the GS the whole bunch of keys on the key ring lie directly on top of the ring antenna. Seems this is not only bad for the painting ...
sounds reasonable to me
i surely hope that BMW is thinking of SOME cure for this ridiculous side effect of anti-theft wizardry
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 03:34 PM   #321
GB
Mod Squad

New bmw cars don't have "keys" anymore. You insert this electronic fob into a slot in the dash and press the brake pedal and press the Start button and the engine starts.. is that next for us?
Old 07-14-2007, 04:49 PM   #322
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,082
Gadget..Thanks..Clear Now

Thanks..."pulling the plug" now seems a hell of alot easier than pulling whole module..Paranoid Phil who rides alone in the boonies, may buy an antenna.. getting home from a ride is not optional! Getting way too old to hump my ruck for days in hostile country..

Thanks...Phil::
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:24 PM   #323
gpothoven
whatever

Oddometer: 2,129
Ok, I'm not too technically savy, but I'm just wondering...

If we find a damaged ring antenae, do we know of any inmates here who could take it appart, examine it, and maybe put together some kind of first aid kit, limp home, type package that we could carry with us for emergencies? Or maybe some tutorial on how to grab a bunch of radio shack junk and be able to crawl back to a dealer?
gpothoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:47 PM   #324
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
thanks for that quote
i appreciate it

it's just so weird that you NEVER hear of this problem in an automobile....
and THEY ALL have had this sysstem for years..... and everyone of us has several keys on our ring when we drive

WHY is that?
How many people keep two keys to the same car on the same key ring? The problem is having the spare key, i.e. another key that is supposed to work on that bike, on the same keyring. How many people do that, anyway?

// marc
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:30 PM   #325
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman
How many people keep two keys to the same car on the same key ring? The problem is having the spare key, i.e. another key that is supposed to work on that bike, on the same keyring. How many people do that, anyway?

// marc
I usually keep the spare key in the tankbag, but keep the plastic key (with embedded chip) in my wallet.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:42 PM   #326
Opus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
New bmw cars don't have "keys" anymore. You insert this electronic fob into a slot in the dash and press the brake pedal and press the Start button and the engine starts.. is that next for us?
Actually the last 5 series TD I drove in germany only required the key fob in an emergency, otherwise it never has to leave your pocket. Touch the door handle and the car unlocks, get in hit the start button and you are off, Now that would be good, no need for a key at all and if you fall off the bike the engine would shut down, no oil starvation issues. maybe by 09
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:56 AM   #327
NYC - GS
Kevin

Oddometer: 45
Bluhduh I am hating the EWS system right now

Got stranded yesterday on my new gs (only 2500 miles) when the damn EWS error came up. Got my wife to bring me the plastic key which is supposed to save me and that too produced the damn EWS error. I find myself not liking BMW more and more lately. It may be time to find a more reliable machine. This is the second computer issue I have had with this bike and it is getting very annoying.
NYC - GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:07 AM   #328
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC - GS
Got stranded yesterday on my new gs (only 2500 miles) when the damn EWS error came up. Got my wife to bring me the plastic key which is supposed to save me and that too produced the damn EWS error. I find myself not liking BMW more and more lately. It may be time to find a more reliable machine. This is the second computer issue I have had with this bike and it is getting very annoying.
we ALL agree that the EWS issue with the GS is one of BMW's dumbest moves ever

still can't understand why FEW other models have this issue
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:51 PM   #329
mikepa
SideCzarist

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC - GS
Got stranded yesterday on my new gs (only 2500 miles) when the damn EWS error came up. Got my wife to bring me the plastic key which is supposed to save me and that too produced the damn EWS error.

The plastic key is not designed in any way shape or form to "cure" an EWS or other engine immobilizer fault. It is a cost-cutting move by BMW, the plastic key is cheaper to manufacture than the metal one. The only way to cure a repeated EWS fault is to replace the ring antenna module, a non-trivial task. Alternatively, you can create a work-around by remoting a spare ring antenna module with a special wire extension tool (BMW special tool) and embedding the spare key, but that's best explained via a series of pictures and a little tech write-up that I hope to do some day when I have some spare time .

Best,
'04 BMW R1150GS Adventure/Ural "WarBird" (UberHack 3.0)
http://www.globeriders.com
Kenmore, WA
USA

"The world is a book and those that do not travel, read only a page." - St. Augustine

"...not all those that wander are lost." - J. R. R. Tolkien
mikepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:58 PM   #330
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepa
The plastic key is not designed in any way shape or form to "cure" an EWS or other engine immobilizer fault. It is a cost-cutting move by BMW, the plastic key is cheaper to manufacture than the metal one. The only way to cure a repeated EWS fault is to replace the ring antenna module, a non-trivial task. Alternatively, you can create a work-around by remoting a spare ring antenna module with a special wire extension tool (BMW special tool) and embedding the spare key, but that's best explained via a series of pictures and a little tech write-up that I hope to do some day when I have some spare time .

Best,
I do not think so. The plastic key is likely just as expensive to make as the metal one. It is designed to be small and light to fit in your wallet, or conceal easily.

As for the rest of it, I agree.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote