0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2007, 10:11 PM   #331
mikepa
SideCzarist

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
I do not think so. The plastic key is likely just as expensive to make as the metal one. It is designed to be small and light to fit in your wallet, or conceal easily.

As for the rest of it, I agree.

Jim
A metal key without the rubber cap would be even smaller, and the weight difference would be negligable. Cost is the issue. It is much less expensive to injection mold a plastic, even an engineering grade reinforced one as is used in the plastic spare key, than to blank and cut a stainless steel key. To reduce manufacturing cost, BMW Motorrad started supplying plastic spare keys, eliminated the tire repair kit and CO2 cartridges, and reduced the tool kit from something usable to just a shock spring pre-load adjuster, one Torx wrench, and something else that I've forgotten, along with CANbus, and the whole weight reduction program on the new Hexhead platform. So, the plastic key is just a small manifestation of a much larger effort, but one that is particularly annoying.... though knowhere near as annoying as having to BUY a usable tool kit for a BMW motorcycle!

Best,
'04 BMW R1150GS Adventure/Ural "WarBird" (UberHack 3.0)
http://www.globeriders.com
Kenmore, WA
USA

"The world is a book and those that do not travel, read only a page." - St. Augustine

"...not all those that wander are lost." - J. R. R. Tolkien
mikepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:14 PM   #332
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepa
A metal key without the rubber cap would be even smaller, and the weight difference would be negligable. Cost is the issue. It is much less expensive to injection mold a plastic, even an engineering grade reinforced one as is used in the plastic spare key, than to blank and cut a stainless steel key. To reduce manufacturing cost, BMW Motorrad started supplying plastic spare keys, eliminated the tire repair kit and CO2 cartridges, and reduced the tool kit from something usable to just a shock spring pre-load adjuster, one Torx wrench, and something else that I've forgotten, along with CANbus, and the whole weight reduction program on the new Hexhead platform. So, the plastic key is just a small manifestation of a much larger effort, but one that is particularly annoying.... though knowhere near as annoying as having to BUY a usable tool kit for a BMW motorcycle!

Best,
Believe what you like, I certainly wont try to change your mind.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:26 AM   #333
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepa
A metal key without the rubber cap would be even smaller...
Maybe some electron-heads can tell us if the transponder would work well in an all-metal key. I suspect it wouldn't. Flat steel is cheap also; the plastic key is AFAIK intended for wallet duty.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:45 AM   #334
mrmaico
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
I remember about a year ago when the key cost issue came up and I found that the plastic key was actually about $5 more than the metal one.

EDIT: Just checked again and I see now the plastic one is $59 vs $60 for the metal one.
mrmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:04 AM   #335
Pir8te
over forty victim of fate

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaico
I remember about a year ago when the key cost issue came up and I found that the plastic key was actually about $5 more than the metal one.

EDIT: Just checked again and I see now the plastic one is $59 vs $60 for the metal one.
price and cost do not equate
Pir8te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:02 AM   #336
BriKielyGSman
BigBadBri

Oddometer: 510
I have a spare

I received my spare Antenae ring, have my mounting bolts drilled out ...so, now I should be set......hopefully. Unless my final drive craps out. I feel like a Harley rider 20 years ago.!!

BriKielyGsMan's South America Ride Report - Two Up.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259451
BriKielyGSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:53 PM   #337
cemeyer5162
n00b

Oddometer: 1
EWS perverbial problem

I was headed to the Idaho GS ride this weekend. I was 50 miles south or Riley on OR 395. EWS failure. No cell recepiton. Had to flag down motorists to get help. Great fun. Missed the ride. Not a very happy camper with BMW. Will drill out rivets and carry a spare.
cemeyer5162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:38 PM   #338
Dieselboy
Journey not Destination

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by cemeyer5162
I was headed to the Idaho GS ride this weekend. I was 50 miles south or Riley on OR 395. EWS failure. No cell recepiton. Had to flag down motorists to get help. Great fun. Missed the ride. Not a very happy camper with BMW. Will drill out rivets and carry a spare.
Model & Mileage?

Good luck.
Dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:07 PM   #339
KKop
...and proud of it!

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus
Actually the last 5 series TD I drove in germany only required the key fob in an emergency, otherwise it never has to leave your pocket. Touch the door handle and the car unlocks, get in hit the start button and you are off, Now that would be good, no need for a key at all and if you fall off the bike the engine would shut down, no oil starvation issues. maybe by 09
The new Kawa Concours 14 has a system very close to what you describe. It has a key that basically stays in the bike permanently (can only be removed by owner). The 'real' key can stay in your pocket. As you approach the bike, the system recognizes the key in your pocket, and the bike unlocks the system to allow you to start it by turning the permanent key.

It even has a counter feature that counts the miles since it last sensed the key should you lose the key while riding .
... I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic ...
--
2007 BMW R1200 GS Adventure
2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200
KKop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:41 PM   #340
Ken H.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKop
The new Kawa Concours 14 has a system very close to what you describe. It has a key that basically stays in the bike permanently (can only be removed by owner). The 'real' key can stay in your pocket. As you approach the bike, the system recognizes the key in your pocket, and the bike unlocks the system to allow you to start it by turning the permanent key.

It even has a counter feature that counts the miles since it last sensed the key should you lose the key while riding .
And it's,

Wait for it...

Wait for it....

CAN-BUS design too!
Ken H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:33 PM   #341
teorisadvrider
Saferider

Oddometer: 2
Thumb It happened

I had the EWS failure happen on ADV at 1400 miles. Wild West Honda/BMW in west Houston had the ring antenna and in a day was on my way.
Bum ride for my buddies who stuck around for the tow truck to show up.
Had the spare and the plastic, and neither worked...
What are the chances on that happening again? Or is it like measles?
Hope for a recall rather than buy a spare...

Keep the gods with you!
teorisadvrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:53 PM   #342
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,843
Virtually all the reported EWS failures on this site have been on low mileage bikes. Still, i'd like to be rid of it, if that option ever comes up with someone from the aftermarket who comes up with a crack for the immobilizer..

the other solution is to carry a spare.. which kinda sucks.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:04 PM   #343
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,282
Sorry To Hear It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teorisadvrider
I had the EWS failure happen on ADV at 1400 miles. Wild West Honda/BMW in west Houston had the ring antenna and in a day was on my way.
Bum ride for my buddies who stuck around for the tow truck to show up.
Had the spare and the plastic, and neither worked...
What are the chances on that happening again? Or is it like measles?
Hope for a recall rather than buy a spare...

Keep the gods with you!
Sorry you got "chosen"..has anyone heard from BMW what if anything they intend to do about this design flaw/parts flaw? Surely they are not going to ignore this forever?
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:07 PM   #344
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,843
what design flaw? they've used this in their cars for a long time too. A few antennas have gone bad and ruined a few rides won't result in a recall or a design change. I'm betting the next generation of bikes will have no key, you just keep the "key" (card) within 1 meter of the bike and the bike will start, technology used in cars now and apparently, on the new Concours.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:38 PM   #345
BriKielyGSman
BigBadBri

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
what design flaw? they've used this in their cars for a long time too. A few antennas have gone bad and ruined a few rides won't result in a recall or a design change. I'm betting the next generation of bikes will have no key, you just keep the "key" (card) within 1 meter of the bike and the bike will start, technology used in cars now and apparently, on the new Concours.

I am all for it ......keys are a hassle. Everything should work the same....door on the house ....walking through the check out at the grocery store etc.....one card .....and/or...enter a 4 digit password ..and away you go..no need to pull out the card.

I am still waiting for the day when you just push your cart though the check out without unloading it and scanning every item.

For now though, I have my spare antena....."don't go to South America without it".......

BriKielyGsMan's South America Ride Report - Two Up.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259451
BriKielyGSman is offline   Reply With Quote