ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2007, 06:24 PM   #376
blueridger
Preacher Man
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Western North Carolina
Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
Ask Blueridge if the "sky is falling"...I don't understand why you are an apologist for BMW...not trying to slam you GB...but total loss of ignition is a big deal...and where the hell did the "10 or 12" come from? I agree who knows the number of bikes stranded unexpectedly...BUT this should not happen...especially on a bike touted as an 'Adventure' bike to take into the out back...

Oh yes, no problem on race bikes/ Is that why Nate's antenna was pre-drilled for changing out?

Anyway...I think the total lack of any word from BMW on this issue really sucks..deny a problem and it will go away?
Meh, stuff happens. I'm not upset at BMW or the bike. I may be more so if I find it will take a while to repair, and I do think it is unnecessary garbage.

But I won't be carrying around a spre after the repair. It just does not sound like that big of a deal for me even after it happening to me and then perusing the internet for info on the history of the problem.
blueridger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 06:28 PM   #377
GB
Mod Squad
 
GB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Oddometer: 56,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBeener
MY preference would be to do what's needed to PREVENT the antenna failure, rather than defeat the EWS.
If you find out, let us know.. because in so far as any of us can tell, there's nothing you can do to prevent the antenna from failing. Just don't worry too much about, but as many happy miles as you can, enjoy the bike, and hopefully, nothing will happen.

I prefer the KISS principle of keeping it simple.
__________________
ADV decals, patches & flag? Here
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 06:31 PM   #378
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
If you find out, let us know.. because in so far as any of us can tell, there's nothing you can do to prevent the antenna from failing. Just don't worry too much about, but as many happy miles as you can, enjoy the bike, and hopefully, nothing will happen.

I prefer the KISS principle of keeping it simple.
I hear you, and I won't be putting too many brain cells toward this, personally, but ... particularly for those for whom this failure HAS occurred ... I'm hoping that they can feed some additional knowledge back to us all.

Again: I'm operating under the (possibly ridiculous) assumption that there IS a better answer for this than any of us has now.
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:29 AM   #379
Bokrijder
Soyez sans que peur
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Mile north of Turkey Point light house
Oddometer: 319
System looks like a pretty good cash cow for BMW, to me. They get to sell $50 keys, $125 antennas, a few years down the road after a number of owners, the chance to rake in big $$$ if the key allotment has been used up. If the system is problematic, owners will jump to its defense. "Hey, you have got to expect things to break." or "They're doing it for our good." Warranty expense minimal - part may cost them $7.00 - minimal warranty labor : not a high price to pay for a cash stream down the road.
Bean counters look at the big picture.
Been there -- seen that
Just saying

MJStone
Bokrijder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:38 AM   #380
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer
 
jpalamar's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL (Northeast FL, USA)
Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJStone
System looks like a pretty good cash cow for BMW, to me. They get to sell $50 keys, $125 antennas, a few years down the road after a number of owners, the chance to rake in big $$$ if the key allotment has been used up. If the system is problematic, owners will jump to its defense. "Hey, you have got to expect things to break." or "They're doing it for our good." Warranty expense minimal - part may cost them $7.00 - minimal warranty labor : not a high price to pay for a cash stream down the road.
Bean counters look at the big picture.
Been there -- seen that
Just saying

MJStone
I disagree heartily with the premise that it's a money maker, but I believe we can expect more technology not less as time goes on. I use the simple word processor of the 80's; primary usage, write letters, took minimal memory and an idiot could use it. Now, Microsoft has added so much baggage writing a simple letter is a problem and we are cluttered with difficult to use programs, wizards, etc. Things just must improve though, add technology where not needed, etc. How will we differentiate the '07's from the '08's, etc. The Kawasaki has now raised the security bar/fob etc. and likely we'll see something along those lines. No problem when it all works! But a money maker for BMW...bet Pineiro wishes there wasn't an antenna ring.
__________________
2007 R1200GS Adv DMC Hack
2014 R1200WCGS
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:51 PM   #381
Bokrijder
Soyez sans que peur
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Mile north of Turkey Point light house
Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
I disagree heartily with the premise that it's a money maker, but I believe we can expect more technology not less as time goes on. I use the simple word processor of the 80's; primary usage, write letters, took minimal memory and an idiot could use it. Now, Microsoft has added so much baggage writing a simple letter is a problem and we are cluttered with difficult to use programs, wizards, etc. Things just must improve though, add technology where not needed, etc. How will we differentiate the '07's from the '08's, etc. The Kawasaki has now raised the security bar/fob etc. and likely we'll see something along those lines. No problem when it all works! But a money maker for BMW...bet Pineiro wishes there wasn't an antenna ring.
I like your post, pretty much hit the nail on the head. However, we'll have agree to disagree on the money subject. Warranty headache for BMW, nah It's all factored in at the planning and developement stages. It's all in the numbers. Like I said - been there done that. Not dis'ing anyone or BMW, but pointing out my experience with a very succesful large boat manufacture.

MJStone
Bokrijder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:55 PM   #382
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJStone
I like your post, pretty much hit the nail on the head. However, we'll have agree to disagree on the money subject. Warranty headache for BMW, nah It's all factored in at the planning and developement stages. It's all in the numbers. Like I said - been there done that. Not dis'ing anyone or BMW, but pointing out my experience with a very succesful large boat manufacture.

MJStone
My past life includes stints as VP at a couple of NYSE-traded retail chains. I'll second what you're saying ... to a degree.

Some use the term "wear part" to describe a high margin item that's destined to be throwaway. Other times a certain % of disgruntled customers IS factored into the profitability analysis.

This is usually done only by relatively myopic companies, but ... it IS usually done ... at least to some degree.

Being cynical <> wrong
Being paranoid <> they're NOT out to get you
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:39 PM   #383
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer
 
jpalamar's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL (Northeast FL, USA)
Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJStone
I like your post, pretty much hit the nail on the head. However, we'll have agree to disagree on the money subject. Warranty headache for BMW, nah It's all factored in at the planning and developement stages. It's all in the numbers. Like I said - been there done that. Not dis'ing anyone or BMW, but pointing out my experience with a very succesful large boat manufacture.

MJStone
I will attempt to not beat this horse to death. My only source of disagreement with your premise is the specific part i.e. the antenna ring. That's just something to get a lot of bad PR, invoke the ire of the 'stranded' and would submit that if I were going to look at some cash cows I'd look elsewhere, particularly in the area of consumables, shock absorbers, windscreens, (where you can blame the rider) final drives

BTW, I am one of the idiots that bought a spare antenna ring, but wth, figure now it will never go bad or at least not strand me at a dealer who is in BFE and has NO parts inventory.
__________________
2007 R1200GS Adv DMC Hack
2014 R1200WCGS
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:45 PM   #384
Bokrijder
Soyez sans que peur
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Mile north of Turkey Point light house
Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBeener
My past life includes stints as VP at a couple of NYSE-traded retail chains. I'll second what you're saying ... to a degree.

Some use the term "wear part" to describe a high margin item that's destined to be throwaway. Other times a certain % of disgruntled customers IS factored into the profitability analysis.

This is usually done only by relatively myopic companies, but ... it IS usually done ... at least to some degree.

Being cynical <> wrong
Being paranoid <> they're NOT out to get you

They're not out to get you -- agree, it's just business. Engineering, marketing, and R&D are constantly feeding the stream. Before anything sees the light of day, it will go through a complete risk evaluation including warranty and liability potentials.
Brake pads, air filters etc. have a moderate return potential, we can purchase them from a discounter - simple proprietary parts a whole different story. A manufacture knows this, he has a cash flow for as long as he wishes to hold the rights. My thought is that much of this new technology involves components which BMW holds proprietary rights on. It's not by accident, only good business on their part.
A lot has been made of the FD issue and most agree that it exists. Why has BMW shown no movement? Why with the warranty burden and the disgruntled customers; probably because the numbers work from their point of view.
It's kind of irratating that we are at the bottom of the food chain at times, but good business insures that the company will be around in ten years.

MJStone
Bokrijder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:47 PM   #385
Poolside
Syndicated
 
Poolside's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Oddometer: 11,887

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBeener
This is usually done only by relatively myopic companies, but ... it IS usually done ... at least to some degree.
Myopic companies? Thy name is, "Publicly Traded".

Can't blame them too much though, they're playing to their audience. Blind, deluded, led.

Public companies function exactly as public government. They listen to whomever is talking to them. They pander to the public. Witness how easy that actually is


TV commercial: . . . 'The Triple Track razor has three blades, one blade to cut the whisker, a second to pull it before it snaps back, and a third blade to slice it off below the skin. The new 'Gillette' Triple Track Razor . . . because . . . You’ll believe anything!'

Does anybody remember? In the 70's, I think it was the premier of Saturday Night Live, they ran a parody commercial about multi-blade razors, then just recently on the market and heavily advertised.

Acourse, not having seen SNL before, I did not know the advertisement was a parody, I thought it was a real commercial. I was ready to go out and buy one of those bitchen new triple razors. When the punch line hit I passed a half a glass of milk through my nose.

But the SNL triple razor joke wasn't finished with me. About 2 years ago I'm in the supermarket with a friend 15 or so years younger than me. This fellow is sighted, a true revolutionary. Anyway, we're having one our typical conversations about how gullible the public is (they believe broadcast news, soap operas, WMDs, and chopper-building show deadlines, you know?)

So I commence to telling him about the Track 3 razor parody commercial, and he's nodding and grinning. When he hears the punch line he chuckles a bit, puts his hands on my shoulders and turns me around. Points me directly at a 'Track 3' razor display just behind me.

Man we had a good laugh. We said, "I wonder what's next, Track 4?"

__________________

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:52 PM   #386
Bokrijder
Soyez sans que peur
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Mile north of Turkey Point light house
Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
I will attempt to not beat this horse to death. My only source of disagreement with your premise is the specific part i.e. the antenna ring. That's just something to get a lot of bad PR, invoke the ire of the 'stranded' and would submit that if I were going to look at some cash cows I'd look elsewhere, particularly in the area of consumables, shock absorbers, windscreens, (where you can blame the rider) final drives

BTW, I am one of the idiots that bought a spare antenna ring, but wth, figure now it will never go bad or at least not strand me at a dealer who is in BFE and has NO parts inventory.

The horse has breathed his last gasp!!!!!!

I carry a spare seal, bearing, and tools in the Jesse. I've worked on the unit so it's no big deal. If it fails, I'll just add it up to part of the adventure.

MJStone
Bokrijder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:07 PM   #387
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 1,521
Meanwhile, across the pond....

I'm grateful that somebody else's post, on another thread, turned me on to the UK GS forum.

Here's their two pence on the EWS/ring antenna issue:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116174

Some there are implying a connection with water/rain.

One says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren@Vines
The key reader or ring anntena is the problem and BMW AG are aware and are in the process of updating and type approving this product we as dealers are not sure when this will be available so please bare with us while the AG sort this issue out
Interesting.
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:35 PM   #388
Bokrijder
Soyez sans que peur
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Mile north of Turkey Point light house
Oddometer: 319
[Quote]when this will be available so please "bare" with us while the AG sort this issue out. [Quote]

PLEASE BARE WITH US

Should we throw A collective moon?

MJStone
Bokrijder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:38 PM   #389
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJStone
Quote:
when this will be available so please "bare" with us while the AG sort this issue out.
PLEASE BARE WITH US

Should we throw A collective moon?

MJStone
I neglected to mention that the guy was an ass
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:40 PM   #390
Poolside
Syndicated
 
Poolside's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Oddometer: 11,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJStone
...please bare with us.

Should we throw A collective moon?
I'm sure he must mean bare your head.

__________________

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015