Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-12-2007, 01:57 PM   #496
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,249
You wanna have a my R bike is better than your K bike thread, start one and I'll punt your above posts to it.. We're at 23 pages of EWS campfire talk.. Let's keep it rolling on track and on topic
Old 09-12-2007, 02:16 PM   #497
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Post Police
You wanna . . . , start one and I'll punt your . . .
Yikes, it's the MRN storm troopers!

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:45 PM   #498
mikshaf
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Thumbs down

i have joined the list of immobilized gsa riders. hopped on the bike sunday am for a ride, rode to a gas station, filled up. and the ews light came on. waited 1.5 hours for a tow. its now wednesday and still no bike. its a 2007 gsa with 5200 miles. have over 50,000 miles on a harley and it has never left me immobilzed. what a buch of crap! as much as i liked the bike, a mc that doesn't run isn't much of a m/c. problem now is i have no confidence in the machine.....if it happened once, it will happen again....
mikshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:48 PM   #499
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,548
SORRY GB...not wanting to cause trouble..or hyjack... was just discussing...flyboy is just plain wrong....on many levels. I used to race on the track...many a time i was passed by bikes with way less hp.

now back to your regular scheduled program !!
Old 09-12-2007, 03:01 PM   #500
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikshaf
i have joined the list of immobilized gsa riders. hopped on the bike sunday am for a ride, rode to a gas station, filled up. and the ews light came on. waited 1.5 hours for a tow. its now wednesday and still no bike. its a 2007 gsa with 5200 miles. have over 50,000 miles on a harley and it has never left me immobilzed. what a buch of crap! as much as i liked the bike, a mc that doesn't run isn't much of a m/c. problem now is i have no confidence in the machine.....if it happened once, it will happen again....
I feel your pain..big time. I also understand about having no faith in machine. I asked BMW Atlanta if these new Hexhead bikes are more problematic than the previous oil heads. You can read his answer a few posts back. I have come to the conclusion that BMW is indeed having supplier problems...to wit the new Ant. Ring part number. Lets hope that the few problems BMW is having w/ quality get fixed soon. Because I like you have little patience for my bike being always in the shop. M/C's are my favorite hobby.... but i can always go back to building home built aircraft and be almost as happy.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:47 PM   #501
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racegun
I feel your pain..big time. I also understand about having no faith in machine. I asked BMW Atlanta if these new Hexhead bikes are more problematic than the previous oil heads. You can read his answer a few posts back. I have come to the conclusion that BMW is indeed having supplier problems...to wit the new Ant. Ring part number. Lets hope that the few problems BMW is having w/ quality get fixed soon. Because I like you have little patience for my bike being always in the shop. M/C's are my favorite hobby.... but i can always go back to building home built aircraft and be almost as happy.
You could always go buy an austrian bike...then we'll miss you for a little while..but you'll be back
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:09 PM   #502
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta
You know, I had a perfectly stone cold reliable KTM 525, it left me cussing for a few moments out in the boondies last week. I am fixing the problem today and going to ride that exact same trail this weekend with no real time on the new parts, I guess I'm insane. The probability that the sprag clutch is going to take a shit on my KTM is far greater then the immobilizer ring on my BMW, but it's hard to fix a sprag clutch on the side of the trail, real easy to fix an antennae though if I am worried enough about it to be prepared with a spare. I guess I don't rely on anyone else to tell me it's going to be ok, some folks think buying a BMW is an insurance policy I recon, it can't possibly fail right? I wish that were the case,......
Was the sprag clutch a stock item on the KTM???
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:22 PM   #503
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Pissed That Sucks...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikshaf
Sadly to many on this thread and else where you are "statistically insignificant"...and BMW does need to make a public acknowledgement of this problem then get their asses in gear to fix it plus notify the dealers and owners how to rectify the weakness (es?) in order to stop the owners from getting stranded..oh, but wait all bikes have problems; hell even a #2 pencil can fail...somebody needs to tell BMW that the bike owners are not supposed to be "immobilized" after buying one of their superior machines!

Some announcement from BMW on the defect in this ignition is LONG overdue...sure they don't HAVE to do squat but they should.

MikShaf..let us know, if they will tell you, exactly what failed and why..

Sorry this really does suck; hang in there...
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:45 AM   #504
caycek5
Bionic Man, got Ti

Oddometer: 1,823
I got my bike back

Last tuesday I called the shop and spoke to the tech. He said the failure was the wiring harness not the antenna and he had ordered it. I got home wednesday morning after working all night and woke up about noon on wednesday with the answering machine light blinking. Hello this is _____ from _______ and I need to speak with ryan. I am thinking great what now? I called him up and he said your bike is ready, did you fix the wiring harness we spoke of yesterday? Yes, and everything checks out good your bike is ready, Ok. I had my wife take a half day at work on thursday (she was sad about that) and we went to pick it up. I have never been so happy to ride 20 miles in first gear because of traffic or the next 50 miles in pouring rain as it was becoming night with the last 30 miles or so not in the rain. It was a great ride. The dealer had my bike one month and a day. Anyway I have my bike back and it is a great thing I missed it.

-Ryan
caycek5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:46 AM   #505
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,249
Which wiring harness did your dealer replace exactly? Any idea?
Old 09-17-2007, 09:02 AM   #506
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,064
You might get a kick out of this, the R1200S/HP's that are racing in the Bol D Or this past weekend.............have the exact same antenna ring .......and duct tapes a key to the ring just the same as San Jose BMW does on their race bikes.

Question to the German race tech, "Why don't you remove the problem"?

Answer, "Won't run with out it".
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:49 AM   #507
caycek5
Bionic Man, got Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Which wiring harness did your dealer replace exactly? Any idea?
I believe he said it was the wiring harness between the antenna and the main wiring harness. I am not sure where the connection at the main harness is. The wire cover (the cloth wrap) from the antenna looks very new and black, not faded. I also now have 2 shiney small torx screws attaching my antenna to the bike so I caould remove them if I easily if I wish.

-Ryan
Old 09-17-2007, 11:38 AM   #508
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,675
I am pretty sure the connections for the Antennae are on the main wiring harness which means the whole wiring harness requires replacement. Basically in components it comes down to the chip in the key, the antennae, the wiring harness, and then the ECU/software that make up the immobilizer feature. So far the antennae has won the most popular of those items, but just because you see EWS is not a sure fire sign it's the antennae that failed.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:30 AM   #509
caycek5
Bionic Man, got Ti

let me try to understand this

Bobby, am I reading correctly that they just replaced my entire wiring harness? That seems like a lot of work. I had talked to the shop tuesday afternoon (no part for the bike yet) and on the next day they called and said it was done (part recieved and installed) for me to come pick up my bike. My whole experience with this shop leads me to believe they did not work after hours to get my bike up and running. I guess I will have to go look at the rest of my harness and see if it looks new also. Anyways, Bobby thanks for your help and support with this thread.

-Ryan
Old 09-18-2007, 05:06 PM   #510
Mike in Atlanta
Oh Noes

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
..and BMW does need to make a public acknowledgement of this problem then get their asses in gear to fix it plus notify the dealers and owners how to rectify the weakness

Dont expect anything from BMW. They have a long and proven track record of NOT ever acknowledging certain problems. My experience is mostly on the car side so Motorad might be a bit different but I highly doubt it.

On the car side each model has had significant problems and in most cases BMW either does 2 of the following.

1. Issue a notice for the dealer to fix something if and when a customer comes in and raises hell about it

or

2. Offer a fix after being sued a few times and losing.

Remember the 01 M3 engine grenades? They took a very hard stance about it being driver error, over revs etc. But then they didnt have a answer when it was happening to SMG owners which is near impossible to over rev. Took a several folks suing and 100's of failures before they would fix the problem. I know 2 people personally that had $10k plus repair bills and BMW took months to reimburse them after making public it was a bearing failure.

Same goes for 7 series wiring harness failures.

Same goes for defective diffs in E36 M3's

E39 M5 cat failure. Very expensive to replace. And it seems to be a luck of the draw if the dealer/BMW replaces them under their nickel or yours. No one can get a real answer to what and how long they are covered out of warranty. Having to replace 2 cats at 70k miles for $3000 can be a bit upsetting and un called for.

They still havent addressed the issue of rear sub-frame mount failures in Z3/Z3 coupes. That is still based on user error/abuse.

Those are just off the top of my head. Dont know much history about the bike side of things and hopefully the bean counters use a different formula for deciding good will, worthy of a fix etc.

07 R1200GS
Mike in Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote