View Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2007, 09:25 AM   #511
SennaSixty8
uber moto abuser

Oddometer: 142
Faaak!

OK! I've got my 2006 12GS headed back into the dealer this a.m. with ANOTHER infamous EWS failure.

This is the SECOND time its happened this year.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:08 AM   #512
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by SennaSixty8
OK! I've got my 2006 12GS headed back into the dealer this a.m. with ANOTHER infamous EWS failure.

This is the SECOND time its happened this year.
Save me from going all the way back through this thread, will ya? What did they decide the problem was the FIRST time around.

Was it the antenna?

Please let us know what they find THIS TIME, too, huh?

Sorry for the DBS (Dead Bimmer Syndrome)
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:40 AM   #513
SennaSixty8
uber moto abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBeener
Save me from going all the way back through this thread, will ya? What did they decide the problem was the FIRST time around. Was it the antenna? Please let us know what they find THIS TIME, too, huh? Sorry for the DBS (Dead Bimmer Syndrome)
'twas the antenna last time, so lets see what they say this time!! BTW, BMW roadside won't pickup the bike without the key in it, even if its parked in your own driveway.... I guess they want me to leave the fuggin' key in the bike, while I whisk away to work in my cage, ...WTF!?
Old 09-19-2007, 11:48 AM   #514
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by SennaSixty8
'twas the antenna last time, so lets see what they say this time!! BTW, BMW roadside won't pickup the bike without the key in it, even if its parked in your own driveway.... I guess they want me to leave the fuggin' key in the bike, while I whisk away to work in my cage, ...WTF!?
Hide the key on the bike or near by and let them know where it is, show's ownership and that you're not trying to get them to yank someone else's bike.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:11 PM   #515
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

BMW NA speaks (??)

Quote:
I, OTOH, just e-mailed BMW. Maybe they do [have more information].
I just received a call from BMW NA. I think he said he's with "Product Engineering." When my e-mail went unanswered, I sent an actual letter (I had to remember how to make one!).

He and I traded calls. I'm off for a couple of days, but I'll give him a shout on Monday morning.

No promises, but ... maybe ... just maybe ... I'll know a little more about all of this by then.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:40 AM   #516
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Just spent a little time on the phone with the US engineer. Here's the summary of the conversation:
Quote:
10:30 AM 9/24/2007 - They know about it. They've seen it. They don't think it's widespread, but don't have a true sense of numbers.

He's fairly certain that there IS an updated antenna in the pipeline, but there isn't a definite time frame yet. Near future. 2007, probably (before the end of this calendar year).

No preventive measure that an owner can use. He has asked and cannot find out any root cause information for the failure.

His German colleagues working on new ring antenna.

Rumor is that vibration might be causing it.

The new part number that we're seeing might have been created to support the likely new antenna ring, but the part is not yet available.

The only way to know if and when the new ring IS available is to speak to the dealer.

He doesn't know if there will be a TSB at this level of failures, but he wouldn't rule it out.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:30 PM   #517
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,548
Question Deans BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW
You might get a kick out of this, the R1200S/HP's that are racing in the Bol D Or this past weekend.............have the exact same antenna ring .......and duct tapes a key to the ring just the same as San Jose BMW does on their race bikes.

Question to the German race tech, "Why don't you remove the problem"?

Answer, "Won't run with out it".
So are you saying they have a second ring taped there and just plug it into the harness...if the original fails?
Old 09-24-2007, 02:38 PM   #518
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,548
discover root cause of problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonebag
You could always go buy an austrian bike...then we'll miss you for a little while..but you'll be back
The austrian bikes are that bad? WOW!

I think I am going to buy a spare Ant Ring as per Bobby's advice. WHen the original one breaks, I am going to carefully cut it open ... & sence I repair High Tech Electronics, I might be able to ascertain the root cause of the problem.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:50 PM   #519
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,684

Quote:
Just spent a little time on the phone with the US engineer. Here's the summary of the conversation:
From the quoted excerpts, it sounds like the diplomatic attaché from the Public Relations arm of the Product Engineering branch of the Marketing division. That's pretty good. Sounds like you were pretty high up in there.

I'm not jacking with you NB, just commenting on commonly heard recitals from professional performers.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:17 PM   #520
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside

From the quoted excerpts, it sounds like the diplomatic attaché from the Public Relations arm of the Product Engineering branch of the Marketing division. That's pretty good. Sounds like you were pretty high up in there.

I'm not jacking with you NB, just commenting on commonly heard recitals from professional performers.
Yeah, but....

IF they actually DO come out with an updated antenna ring toward the end of the year, and IF it actually DOES eliminate this failure ... then I don't mind the occasional marketroid blowing smoke up my ass.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:22 PM   #521
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,684

Sure. You gotta run down the leads.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:37 PM   #522
KDeline
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:

Has anybody heard of a replacement antenna failing? I'm trying to figure out if the production piece had a defect that was THEN fixed for replacement parts. If so, maybe I can talk my dealer into a swap (at BMW's expense) on the next scheduled....

Thanks much!
NBeener
Yea, mine this weekend. 127 miles from home, this was replaced in June and had me stranded in New York for 3 days.
KDeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:55 PM   #523
KDeline
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta
Well dont drive a car unless you like getting into accidents. Latest accident statistics show 1 out of 8 drivers gets in an auto accident, only way to surely prevent being a statistic is to not drive I reckon.

In all honesty this EWS is more internet hype and myth, we have serviced hundreds(4-500) of CAN BUS BMW's and only had 3(maybe 4) in need of antennae replacement over the past 3 years. In rough math that is definitely less then 1% so get off the internet myth bandwagon and start sleeping at night again. On top of that if it really erks you, you can take precautions to deal with it. You are much more likely to get a flat tire, be involved in an accident or many other show stoppers then you are to have an EWS failure. Your efforts would be much better slated at getting people to flush their brakes, check their tire pressures and refresh their basic riding skills then to be writing to anyone at BMW about such an issue with a very low rate of failure
Ah, see my post above, this is a major problem for me.
KDeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:27 PM   #524
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDeline
Yea, mine this weekend. 127 miles from home, this was replaced in June and had me stranded in New York for 3 days.
Ouch.

Really sorry.

I was out in the Anza-Borrego desert on mine today ... sort of hoping it would start again each time it was shut off.

What'd they do for you THIS time??
Old 10-14-2007, 09:55 PM   #525
SennaSixty8
uber moto abuser

EWS failure

It happened today, left me stranded in the santa cruz mountains, and BMW roadside was UNABLE to locate a tow truck for me....

bike is gonna sleep overnite, out in the cold, cold night....

FAK! This is the THIRD EWS antenna problem in 1.6 years.

I purposely asked the service dept, if this can happen again, and they said "doubtful."

Is it time for the LEMON law to be put into affect?

I love my GS, and I thought it loved me back...