View Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2007, 08:46 AM   #526
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
SennaSixty8:

Up in the SC Mtn's, huh? Beautiful. Maybe (forgive me) it's time to get a (La) Honda.

Man that sucks. First, the bike strands you. Next, you're forced to strand the bike.

Maybe this isn't a cool offer to make (I can live with it), but ... if people are interested, I can provide the name (I can't spell it) and phone number of the guy at BMW NA who contacted me after I wrote a letter.

Maybe a few others want to give him a jingle.

More voices can't hurt the cause. Plus, it might be good to get another person or two to check out the story that I got (about a new part by the end of the year).

Hope it all turns out well.
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:32 AM   #527
SennaSixty8
uber moto abuser

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBeener
SennaSixty8:

Up in the SC Mtn's, huh? Beautiful. Maybe (forgive me) it's time to get a (La) Honda.

Man that sucks. First, the bike strands you. Next, you're forced to strand the bike.

Maybe this isn't a cool offer to make (I can live with it), but ... if people are interested, I can provide the name (I can't spell it) and phone number of the guy at BMW NA who contacted me after I wrote a letter.

Maybe a few others want to give him a jingle.

More voices can't hurt the cause. Plus, it might be good to get another person or two to check out the story that I got (about a new part by the end of the year).

Hope it all turns out well.
I'd love to have that contact info....
Old 10-20-2007, 01:01 PM   #528
SennaSixty8
uber moto abuser

Oddometer: 142
Got the bike back from the dealer, and the invoice shows an updated part for the antennae ring.

Bike feels fresh again, with new oil, filter, and valve/tb's done.

lets hope it doesn't do it a 3rd time.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:07 PM   #529
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by SennaSixty8
I'd love to have that contact info....
The call I got came from ... I'm guessing at the spelling here ...

Marik Balwas
201-263-8233

Just do me a favor: if you get him ... would you kindly report back if you learn anything extra or different?

Thanks!
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 06:48 PM   #530
Bokrijder
Soyez sans que peur

Oddometer: 316
FWIW - to you guys who may have send messages to NA

A couple of months ago, I sent NA a nasty-gram and never heard a thing back from them. Yesterday, I got an email from NA stating that their system had deep 6'd a bunch of stuff and would I please send the message again.

MJStone
Bokrijder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:54 AM   #531
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,865

Quote:
FWIW - to you guys who may have send messages to NA

A couple of months ago, I sent NA a nasty-gram and never heard a thing back from them. Yesterday, I got an email from NA stating that their system had deep 6'd a bunch of stuff and would I please send the message again.
Those types of we-lost-your-letter processes are age-old, and have been around as long as the postal service. The prior letter is compared to the re-sent letter. that is, if the new letter (or email) is sent. What's most impressive is how these techniques are swallowed whole.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:38 AM   #532
Bokrijder
Soyez sans que peur

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside

What's most impressive is how these techniques are swallowed whole.

What can I say ? Add me to the dumb shit list. ( for a day only, please)

My problem wasn't the key thing, but I suppose it's still a heads up to people contacting BMW about their problems and if what you say is correct -- about how NA handles things.

Next question - should I or we be pissed or just play their game?
MJStone
Bokrijder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:47 AM   #533
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJStone

My problem wasn't the key thing, but I suppose it's still a heads up to people contacting BMW about their problems and if what you say is correct -- about how NA handles things.

MJStone
Or, maybe, take it at face value and send in another letter. At least it was not totally ignored.

Paranoia is rampant around here.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:24 PM   #534
ARROWMAPCORP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Ews:(

Ok, I had enough of being stuck because EWS on my 3000mi trip for the first time out, I even used the plastic backup with no luck. A local lock smith told me he uses WD40 in the locks anymore because graphite didn't make the contact on the newer electonic locks. I did so on the road and it got me home. It did a EWS again a three weeks ago and my bright recent college grad son said use electric contact cleaner then WD40. No problem for 4 weeks now. Give it a try, not saing I will not have a problem again but we'll see.
ARROWMAPCORP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:33 PM   #535
caycek5
Bionic Man, got Ti

Oddometer: 1,886
electrical contact cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROWMAPCORP
It did a EWS again a three weeks ago and my bright recent college grad son said use electric contact cleaner then WD40.
Make sure that the electrical contact cleaner is safe on the plastics of the bike. We have used two brands of contact cleaner at work and they can do some funky things to certain plastics ( it will destroy a motorola portable radio). We have grown to be learly of using it around any plastic items if it doesn't destroy them it usually discolors them. Your experience may vary though. Just a word of caution.
caycek5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:29 PM   #536
Opus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
The EWS failure is caused by the ring antenna failing to read your key. Neither WD-40 or contact cleaner will have any effect when sprayed into the lock, and the electrical contacts for the ignition switch are not in the tumbler, Some GM cars used contacts inside the lock but I think even they have switched. Although I am curious if anyone has tried Spraying the ring antenna with a chilling agent, the cans of dust off work well for this when inverted, used to do this test on various induction coils, for quick diagnostics.

Opus
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:16 AM   #537
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,865

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJStone

No dude, you're not goin' on the dumb list. The consumer has nothing to do with it.

About the next item. We aren't player, we're played.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:10 AM   #538
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROWMAPCORP
Ok, I had enough of being stuck because EWS on my 3000mi trip for the first time out, I even used the plastic backup with no luck. A local lock smith told me he uses WD40 in the locks anymore because graphite didn't make the contact on the newer electonic locks. I did so on the road and it got me home. It did a EWS again a three weeks ago and my bright recent college grad son said use electric contact cleaner then WD40. No problem for 4 weeks now. Give it a try, not saing I will not have a problem again but we'll see.
An intermittent EWS fault could indicate that the key is at fault, and not the ring. Carry a spare key with you and report the fault to your dealer, they may order a new key for you. I got this info from my dealer where when the bike will not start at all, it was the ring but what you described turned out to be the key. who knows
Old 10-23-2007, 10:26 AM   #539
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,277
Cool2 Hey Gadget Boy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
An intermittent EWS fault could indicate that the key is at fault, and not the ring. Carry a spare key with you and report the fault to your dealer, they may order a new key for you. I got this info from my dealer where when the bike will not start at all, it was the ring but what you described turned out to be the key. who knows
Hey GB..since you review these posts and have a strong sense of what is going on....do you think BMW is working on the 'antenna/key' problem? Follow up question for you, any crystal ball guess when dealers and owners might receive a word from on high how to circumvent or prevent these failures? These are not loaded questions...honestly feel you might have a handle of this...thanks..
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:51 AM   #540
JohnTz
HP2 Rider

Oddometer: 156
I think the best we can hope for and something that will cost BMW minimal money is a software defeat of the EWS all together. Owners should have the choice of fixing the ring or defeating the whole system through the computer interface when/if the ring fails. I am sure it would be a cheaper fix to just get a software update and eliminate this all together than to remove the upper triple tree and drill the damned thing off so another questionable ring can be put in its place. I for one do not like the thought of disasembling the top end of my bike just for this security feature. I would be more than happy to sign any paperwork required to turn this theft prevention feature off and take my risks with my bike being stolen. I would even do this proactively just to eliminate the risk of being stranded. I can deal with the FD issue. I feel confident I can monitor that. But the random nature of the EWS failure has got me concerned. The thought of my HP2 sitting at some random hotel lot or gas station fully loaded while I try and find someone to haul it to a dealer sickens me. I truley love this bike. Turning this EWS bullshit off would make life with it less stressfull. ;-)
JohnTz is offline   Reply With Quote