0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2007, 04:24 PM   #541
ricochet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriKielyGSman
I met Larry at the BMW dealer in Edmonton. On his way back from Alaska, his EWS warning came up on his display and he wasn't going any further. Cost him $900 to get his bike hauled to the nearest BMW dealer. He camped overnight right on the property and was ready to go by 10 AM the next morning.

The part is very easy to replace- does not need programming and cost is about $200.
Do you have the part no.?
04 1200C Montauk (SOLD)
03 Piaggio X9 Amalfi(SOLD)
ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:26 PM   #542
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Well State..What are the Signs of Impending FD Failure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTz
I think the best we can hope for and something that will cost BMW minimal money is a software defeat of the EWS all together. Owners should have the choice of fixing the ring or defeating the whole system through the computer interface when/if the ring fails. I am sure it would be a cheaper fix to just get a software update and eliminate this all together than to remove the upper triple tree and drill the damned thing off so another questionable ring can be put in its place. I for one do not like the thought of disasembling the top end of my bike just for this security feature. I would be more than happy to sign any paperwork required to turn this theft prevention feature off and take my risks with my bike being stolen. I would even do this proactively just to eliminate the risk of being stranded. I can deal with the FD issue. I feel confident I can monitor that. But the random nature of the EWS failure has got me concerned. The thought of my HP2 sitting at some random hotel lot or gas station fully loaded while I try and find someone to haul it to a dealer sickens me. I truley love this bike. Turning this EWS bullshit off would make life with it less stressfull. ;-)
Well stated..so far I have gleaned that a loose rear suspension or wheel, leaking lube, "abnormal" noise, unusual vibration or, sigh, flames can indicate that the FD is self-digesting or about to...knowing any guidelines on early signs of possible failure would help my peace of mind...as stated first indication of "EWS" is failure.

Wallowa screwed with this post 10-24-2007 at 06:45 PM
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:37 PM   #543
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
Hey GB..since you review these posts and have a strong sense of what is going on....do you think BMW is working on the 'antenna/key' problem?
No idea, my guess is the total failure rate of is probably less than 1%, but when it happens to you, it's 100%. I'm sure they will put pressure on their supplier of ring antennas to find out why they are failing. Maybe the new part number indicates they have a new supplier?

If there was a way to remove it or bypass it, I would think that Chris Pfeiffer's BMW supplied custom F800 stunt bikes and the R1200S open class factory team race bikes would not have them on but I've seen both sets of bikes myself and they all had the ring installed.

It just seems to me that if the ring is going to fail, it's going to happen to bikes with fairly low mileage. I'm at 25,000 km. I'm not worried enough to carry a spare one.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:58 PM   #544
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

R1200S Race Bike With Spare Ring..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
No idea, my guess is the total failure rate of is probably less than 1%, but when it happens to you, it's 100%. I'm sure they will put pressure on their supplier of ring antennas to find out why they are failing. Maybe the new part number indicates they have a new supplier?

If there was a way to remove it or bypass it, I would think that Chris Pfeiffer's BMW supplied custom F800 stunt bikes and the R1200S open class factory team race bikes would not have them on but I've seen both sets of bikes myself and they all had the ring installed.

It just seems to me that if the ring is going to fail, it's going to happen to bikes with fairly low mileage. I'm at 25,000 km. I'm not worried enough to carry a spare one.
Percentage estimates nothwithstanding, I saw the photo of I believe Kern's bike a while back in the pits with a spare antenna ring taped in place and at the ready if the installed one failed in the race; BMW knows...if BMW even just acknowledged the FD and antenna/key issues and didn't even fix them it would go a long way toward bolstering their credibility...being invisible after purchase stings..and certainly doesn't engender trust..in my many years on this planet I have never been ignored by the manufacturer of anything I have purchase like this...calling, emails, faxes (I have done all these)...all requests for information disappear into a black hole with no responses from BMW...crap there I go again...like pissing into the wind...

Anyway call me when you hear...
Old 10-24-2007, 07:14 PM   #545
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
This key and antenna thing seems like a simple marketing thing to me. "Our bikes have this, the others don't" kinda thing.

Stolen bikes are hauled away, not riddeen away, in the vast majority of cases. This makes zero practical sense, but can be a selling and marketing point to customers that don't know any better. They, the customers, are trusting the manufacturer that it's a positive thing, and most believe this.

What other gizmos should we expect to see applied to BMW motos in the near future, other than greater reliability?

Customers doing the long term testing for their newest ideas will bite them in the butt, IMO.

I'd love to see a swing back towards the direction of real-life reliable bikes that instill confidence.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:49 PM   #546
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
This key and antenna thing seems like a simple marketing thing to me. "Our bikes have this, the others don't" kinda thing.

Stolen bikes are hauled away, not riddeen away, in the vast majority of cases. This makes zero practical sense, but can be a selling and marketing point to customers that don't know any better. They, the customers, are trusting the manufacturer that it's a positive thing, and most believe this.

What other gizmos should we expect to see applied to BMW motos in the near future, other than greater reliability?

Customers doing the long term testing for their newest ideas will bite them in the butt, IMO.

I'd love to see a swing back towards the direction of real-life reliable bikes that instill confidence.
Like an airhead? Never happen. Time to move over to Ducati, wait, they use the canbus, try Honda, oops they do too. Nevermind!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:39 AM   #547
JohnTz
HP2 Rider

Oddometer: 156
I believe the EWS can be software defeated. The whole basic operating system of the bike can be changed, one would therefore think that the EWS can be set to bypass or that the startup sequence can skip the key check all together. I am positive this can be done. I have been in the software business for 20 years. I have been part of large teams of people that designed and built controllers for much more complex machinery than these simple bikes. If I can reprogram the way the tail light functions I can turn off EWS.

Here is the catch. It would be last resort for BMW. They would not want the world to know how their security can be turned off. I'm sure if you are BMW you will assume that the bad guys of the world would then surely find out how to do it, then steal the bikes and drill out the lock cylinders and defeat the EWS and therefore have a fully operational motorcycle. One thing is for sure now, this EWS has effectively made the theft of a BMW a chop shop parts deal and not a "ship it to another country and sell it" deal.

I go Northern Europe quit often for work. I always check out some used motorcycles available maybe hoping to find a good deal on an older BMW to bring home for off road training purposes, i.e. I can drop it and not give a shit. You would be amazed at the number of bikes that are stolen and are sold with the VINs machined off and new "improved" lock cylinders in place.

That is why I think if BMW was going to offer the EWS defeat service it would be very tightly controlled and would require some legal paperwork to execute. Realistically they will never do it. They will quietly figure out the problem, and fix it on the newer bikes. Those of us with the current unreliable implementation will just suffer till the ring fails and maybe we will get a new part eventually that will be reliable or we can just get lucky and get a good one and never have the problem.

My dealer has promised to give me the next one that fails so I can take it apart and see what is inside one of these things. When that happens I will post pictures so at least we know what may be breaking in the bastards ;-)

For now, I just use hypnosis to force me to forget about this issue and I ride my HP2 hard. Great fun.
JohnTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:30 PM   #548
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Ews! ... Again!

I, too am now a victim of bad BMW engineering....Three days ago, I tried to start and the EWS came up. I dicked around with the keys (plastic and metal) and kept trying; Finally, it started. I come home from being at work the last two days and looking forward to riding-NOT!
Again, the EWS! shows up; this time no ignition, so I guess I am taking into the dealer on Tuesday 110 miles away! FUCK!

Anyway, I would like to get names of BMW owners and bikes that have had this BS EWS! problem as I am getting fired up to take some kind of legal action based on the LEMON LAW.
Please contact me by way of PM and I will keep you informed of this process.
Thanks
Hank
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:24 PM   #549
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTz
My dealer has promised to give me the next one that fails so I can take it apart and see what is inside one of these things. When that happens I will post pictures so at least we know what may be breaking in the bastards ;-)
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:43 PM   #550
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Is my ring antenna going to fail soon

I have this bad habit of turning the ignition key on and they starting the bike right away without letting the bike go through its diagnostic check. I'm now paranoid that my ring antenna is going to go bad. Sometimes when I do this, the bike won't start until I shut the key off and then turn it on again. Can the ring antenna problem begin as a sporatic problem or is it an all or nothing type of problem.
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:06 PM   #551
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,093
Fixin/check out...sometimes my bike will not start by agent 86 and you will have your answer.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:24 PM   #552
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Question What???

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty hill
Fixin/check out...sometimes my bike will not start by agent 86 and you will have your answer.
I missed this one...Marty what did you say?

Damn sorry Hank that your bike took a dump..how many miles on it?

Keep us posted..I too am holding my breath everytime I start up my ' 07 GSA..
Old 10-28-2007, 05:48 PM   #553
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Like servo brakes, this is another thing knowledgeable, future buyers of used BMWs will avoid.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:32 PM   #554
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
I missed this one...Marty what did you say?

Damn sorry Hank that your bike took a dump..how many miles on it?

Keep us posted..I too am holding my breath everytime I start up my ' 07 GSA..
This was answered a few posts earlier in a post by agent 86.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:17 AM   #555
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones
I have this bad habit of turning the ignition key on and they starting the bike right away without letting the bike go through its diagnostic check. I'm now paranoid that my ring antenna is going to go bad. Sometimes when I do this, the bike won't start until I shut the key off and then turn it on again. Can the ring antenna problem begin as a sporatic problem or is it an all or nothing type of problem.
Ignoring the childish responses from BMW Haters...

I have never waited for the diagnostics to do their thing before starting my bike. In nearly 40K miles this has not proven to be an issue.

The way I see it, it will either fail, or not, and nothing YOU do will change anything.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote