Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2007, 01:56 PM   #556
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,239
Two Keys Near Antenna Will...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Ignoring the childish responses from BMW Haters...

I have never waited for the diagnostics to do their thing before starting my bike. In nearly 40K miles this has not proven to be an issue.

The way I see it, it will either fail, or not, and nothing YOU do will change anything.

Jim
Jim...I believe that presenting the antenna ring with two coded keys at the same time will generate an EWS...that is what happened to Lewis's tour bikes..

Good to hear of your experience in starting the bike prior to the end of the diagnostic ECU run...but I for one always wait for the completion of the start-up diagnostic intializing prior to firing it up...only a few seconds..I always assumed that the initializing was important..again one of those "Gee what would BMW do?" questions..
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:43 PM   #557
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,815
What oriface are you talking out of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
Jim...I believe that presenting the antenna ring with two coded keys at the same time will generate an EWS...that is what happened to Lewis's tour bikes..

Good to hear of your experience in starting the bike prior to the end of the diagnostic ECU run...but I for one always wait for the completion of the start-up diagnostic intializing prior to firing it up...only a few seconds..I always assumed that the initializing was important..again one of those "Gee what would BMW do?" questions..

Wallowa,
Where did you get your information about the "two coded keys at the same time will generate an EWS..." ???? Are you a certified BMW technician? Perhaps one of the BMW Engineers who designed the program? Oh I got it, you have no clue, but you would like to chime in on the subject at hand... Geeezzzz!
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:07 PM   #558
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Answers..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankgs
Wallowa,
Where did you get your information about the "two coded keys at the same time will generate an EWS..." ???? Are you a certified BMW technician? Perhaps one of the BMW Engineers who designed the program? Oh I got it, you have no clue, but you would like to chime in on the subject at hand... Geeezzzz!
No...

No....

No...

Just someone who has been reading the threads....sorry you will not get a belly bumping match from me..
Old 10-29-2007, 05:46 PM   #559
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,200
Quote:
Wallowa,
Hey Hank, read your Rider's Manual. On page 30 it talks about the EWS function and notes that "ignition, fuel supply, and starter" are not enabled until the key is recognized. Then on page 31 is this note:
A spare key attached to the same ring as the ignition key used to start the engine could "irritate" the electronics, in which case the enabling signal for for ignition, fuel supply, and starter is not issued. Under these circumstances the motorcycle will refuse to start.
Is that official enough for you?

// marc

marchyman screwed with this post 10-29-2007 at 07:15 PM
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:15 PM   #560
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Wallowa,
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:55 PM   #561
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTz
I think the best we can hope for and something that will cost BMW minimal money is a software defeat of the EWS all together. Owners should have the choice of fixing the ring or defeating the whole system through the computer interface when/if the ring fails. I am sure it would be a cheaper fix to just get a software update and eliminate this all together than to remove the upper triple tree and drill the damned thing off so another questionable ring can be put in its place. I for one do not like the thought of disasembling the top end of my bike just for this security feature. I would be more than happy to sign any paperwork required to turn this theft prevention feature off and take my risks with my bike being stolen. I would even do this proactively just to eliminate the risk of being stranded. I can deal with the FD issue. I feel confident I can monitor that. But the random nature of the EWS failure has got me concerned. The thought of my HP2 sitting at some random hotel lot or gas station fully loaded while I try and find someone to haul it to a dealer sickens me. I truley love this bike. Turning this EWS bullshit off would make life with it less stressfull. ;-)
YES INDEED! +1
Old 10-29-2007, 10:01 PM   #562
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,247
Let me open a can of worms in regards to reprogramming the ews. I happened to meet a man whose company is a well know BMW automotive tuner. I had a chance to talk to him briefly about programming the can-bus bikes. He had some interesting things to say about the software. That lead me to believe that if you wanted to customize the programming it is doable for a price. This is what his company does with the cars. They are reverse engineering the software to allow for some major engine modifications and still meet emission regulations. I'm afraid his interest in talking about the bike software may have just been technical and not slanted toward an actual solution.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:10 PM   #563
TaterHarry
Redneck Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluorescentbrown
Let me open a can of worms in regards to reprogramming the ews. I happened to meet a man whose company is a well know BMW automotive tuner. I had a chance to talk to him briefly about programming the can-bus bikes. He had some interesting things to say about the software. That lead me to believe that if you wanted to customize the programming it is doable for a price. This is what his company does with the cars. They are reverse engineering the software to allow for some major engine modifications and still meet emission regulations. I'm afraid his interest in talking about the bike software may have just been technical and not slanted toward an actual solution.
EWS REPROGRAM GROUP BUY THREAD NOW!!!

TaterHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:11 PM   #564
shedrat
n00b

Oddometer: 1
i've lurked for long enough. warmest greetings from across the pond, to you all.

my bike (07GS, at the time 2.2k miles) had the EWS problem back in August, as i reported on UKGS and cross-posted here in this thread many pages back. i'm one of the people who had the (probably rubbish) hunch that it is water related. i agree with everything that people say that this problem severely dents confidence in the bike because you have no warning whatsoever, and it is a total showstopper when it does happen.

i'm starting to plan my first long trip now, i think i'll be taking one of the EWS units (and maybe a fuel pump relay) as spares.

much earlier in the thread, a couple of people mentioned an extension to the wiring harness that would allow a second / spare unit to be connected / hidden under the seat - it was mentioned as a BMW kit. does anyone have any more details / part number of this?
shedrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:54 PM   #565
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Wink Perhaps....

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedrat
i've lurked for long enough. warmest greetings from across the pond, to you all.

my bike (07GS, at the time 2.2k miles) had the EWS problem back in August, as i reported on UKGS and cross-posted here in this thread many pages back. i'm one of the people who had the (probably rubbish) hunch that it is water related. i agree with everything that people say that this problem severely dents confidence in the bike because you have no warning whatsoever, and it is a total showstopper when it does happen.

i'm starting to plan my first long trip now, i think i'll be taking one of the EWS units (and maybe a fuel pump relay) as spares.

much earlier in the thread, a couple of people mentioned an extension to the wiring harness that would allow a second / spare unit to be connected / hidden under the seat - it was mentioned as a BMW kit. does anyone have any more details / part number of this?
Howdy...I just finished the first disc of Helge Pedersen's DVD "BMW R1200GS Adventure Instructions DVD"...in it he describes getting the "EWS" in Turkey and only got out of country because someone in the group had an antenna [BMW Turkey had zero]..he shwed the spare antenna and what he referred to as the 'BMW diagnostic harnass' that he bought at BMW...plugs into spare antenna and into diagnostic plug under seat...interestingly he then holds spare antenna upsidedown over 'broken' antenna [still mounted in bike] and uses the spare plastic key down through the spare ring into the keyway to start the bike..plastic key would fit through spare antenna ring, metal key would not [?]...anyway I believe the harnass is the same as used to hook bike to service computer..

Let us know what you find out...I too am going to pop for a spare antenna and harnass..

Oh yes, so far I like the DVD a lot...filling in a lot of gaps for me..
Old 10-30-2007, 02:54 PM   #566
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,268
Quote:

It isn't a concern, the start-up "initializing" procedure continues AFTER you start your motor anyhow, whether or not you wait.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:52 PM   #567
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Kool..Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
It isn't a concern, the start-up "initializing" procedure continues AFTER you start your motor anyhow, whether or not you wait.

Jim
Thanks Jim...another piece to the puzzle I call my GSA...good to know.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:39 PM   #568
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Howdy...I just finished the first disc of Helge Pedersen's DVD "BMW R1200GS Adventure Instructions DVD"...in it he describes getting the "EWS" in Turkey and only got out of country because someone in the group had an antenna [BMW Turkey had zero]..he shwed the spare antenna and what he referred to as the 'BMW diagnostic harnass' that he bought at BMW...plugs into spare antenna and into diagnostic plug under seat...interestingly he then holds spare antenna upsidedown over 'broken' antenna [still mounted in bike] and uses the spare plastic key down through the spare ring into the keyway to start the bike..plastic key would fit through spare antenna ring, metal key would not [?]...anyway I believe the harnass is the same as used to hook bike to service computer..

Let us know what you find out...I too am going to pop for a spare antenna and harnass..

Oh yes, so far I like the DVD a lot...filling in a lot of gaps for me..
Interesting from the standpoint of BMW supplying Helge's and another bike for them doing these 'adventure' tours, but an EWS could've stopped the whole shebang.

Hopefully, in the future, tour companies will not need a software programer to accompany the ride group.

Ride the County....no 'r' missing....
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:24 PM   #569
bwallis42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
it wouldn't do you any good...
once the new one is installed by your dealer (the old one needs to be DRILLED OUT).... it has to be "ACTIVATED" by the shops computer

ain't technology grand?
I thought this wasn't necessary for an antenna replacement. AFIK (and that's not much ) the antenna is not the part that supplies the id code, your key is. The antenna just lets the EWS read the code from the key. It should essentially be a dumb component, at least I hope so! There doesn't seem to be any need for it to do more than this and it would be needlessly complex if it does.

You *should* be able to just plug in the new antenna, put your spare key next to it and start the bike using the other key in the ignition. Would be nice to hear from someone who has tried this.
bwallis42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:33 PM   #570
Opus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
There is another EWS thread on the site with more info including part numbers etc. The antenna is just that, it is a dumb component and can be replaced without anything being done to the computer, you can plug in a new antenna, hold your key next to it and start the bike, once running the bike doesn't use the antenna anymore.
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote