0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2007, 06:59 PM   #586
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankgs
I would suggest that EVERYONE who has had an issue with the antenna ring or is simply a concerned 1200GS owner to call or email BMW-NA. State that this is an unreliable system to have on what is marketed as an "Adventure Motorcycle" and BMW should order a RECALL to get all antenna rings replaced....
I haven't had an issue with my secret decoder ring & I only know of one person that I have talked to that has, but have heard of several on the forums.
They are aware of the faulty ones due to warranty claims.

I'm still waiting on my toolkit for 05 that I complained about
05-GS- Rock Red 91k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:33 PM   #587
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
The bike has been BMWed...meaning over complicated and unfit for true long distance travel. Why? Ask BMW....
Maybe, just maybe, its because 999,980 of the bikes they sold last year fit their buyers just fine, including those who live in GB and Europe where it is next to impossible to insure a bike that does not have an immobilizer. Sure, the 20 guys who thought they were buying a RTW ready bike were greatly dissapointed.

I don't know, but I always suspected that those who do RTW type trips spend lots of time and money preparing the bike for the trip. On an airhead one of those preparation was packing a spare diode board and maybe a generator rotor. That is apparantly OK, but packing a spare immobilizer antenna isn't. Color me confused

// marc
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:59 PM   #588
bwallis42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sweeper
I just unclipped the wiring connector from the old antenna block, inserted the spare key into the new antenna and taped the whole lot to the headstock. Then used the original key in the ignition lock to start the bike
(post again, I posted this but it seemed to disappear ... Oh, I posted to the *other* EWS thread. They look so alike )

That's what I wanted to hear.

I suspect the "antenna" is just a coil of wire. I'll see if I can get hold of an old one and dismantle it (might be hard, my local shop said there has only been one case in Aus that they know of, not really a big problem is it).

It might be possible to make up an emergency replacement part that doesn't cost so much. The key/antenna system would most likely be an RFID device where the antenna generates a small magnetic field that powers the chip in the key which then transmits it's ID that is picked up by the antenna and given back to the EWS. (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFID#Automotive)

See also http://tinyurl.com/2hbpsz which references a study done into how to hack the system. Not really useful for us but it gives some insight to how the system is working.

bwallis42 screwed with this post 11-17-2007 at 09:49 PM
bwallis42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:03 AM   #589
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman
I don't know, but I always suspected that those who do RTW type trips spend lots of time and money preparing the bike for the trip. On an airhead one of those preparation was packing a spare diode board and maybe a generator rotor. That is apparantly OK, but packing a spare immobilizer antenna isn't. Color me confused
// marc
Frankly, I don't understand attitudes like yours...a spare diode board and generator rotors are parts essential to the operation of the bike--when and if they break you need to be prepared to fix them.

The immobilizer, however, is a "feature" that BMW has forced on many people that don't want it--and not just RTW types. If you've read this thread you'll note that most of the problems have occurred a couple of hundred miles from home, although often in rather remote areas. Even if it occurs at a gas station a mile from home, it is a significant and more importantly, unnecessary, hassle.

I don't care if BMW wants to install this feature on all the bikes, but they need to either allow it to be permanently disabled, OR at least have a PIN code backup system as described by another post in this thread.
motoreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:26 AM   #590
Blue Sweeper
Dirt Rider

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwallis42
That's what I wanted to hear.

I suspect the "antenna" is just a coil of wire..........
Unfortunately it's not. I took the cover of the faulty item in attempt to see if I could bypass it. The block where the wiring loom is plugged into is full of electronic shite.
Blue Sweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:36 AM   #591
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,554
Quote:

// marc
Old 11-18-2007, 06:08 AM   #592
TomTom63
Motorradfahrer

Oddometer: 1,621
Quote:

// marc
Well put ! Interestingly, the complainers are using Windows or Mac to make their opinion known. Nobody complains using DOS anymore...
TomTom63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:20 AM   #593
ktmmark
have bike must travel

Oddometer: 290
This problem seems to be the later bikes as i don't rember hearing it so much in 04/05 when i got mine, plenty of final drives & high beam /dip switchs though
ktmmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:48 AM   #594
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.REX63
Well put ! Interestingly, the complainers are using Windows or Mac to make their opinion known. Nobody complains using DOS anymore...
My Windows-based PC and my MacBook won't strand me in the middle of nowhere.

Usually, a hard re-boot will fix what ails either of them.

So .... your point, then, would be .... what, exactly?
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:50 PM   #595
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by * SHAG *
I haven't had an issue with my secret decoder ring & I only know of one person that I have talked to that has, but have heard of several on the forums.
They are aware of the faulty ones due to warranty claims.

I'm still waiting on my toolkit for 05 that I complained about
I don't understand this post...WTF? How does not having 3 or 4 wrenches that you can BUY at Sears equate to your $17K "Adventure" motorcycle leaving you completely stranded with no chance of starting...Tell you what pal...I'll buy your $25.00 worth of wrenches and some tire patch IF you address the BMW FAULTY anetenna ring.
The point of my post is that BMW has a factory installed defective product placed on a bike that will render it unoperatable...That seriously warrants BMW to recall this defective feature. The bike is heavily marketed as an "Adventure" & "Visit the ends of the World" bike; seems like BMW-NA should address the issue or I call bullshit on their marketing and advertising.
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:07 PM   #596
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,554

Old 11-18-2007, 06:33 PM   #597
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,293
Lighten up Francis

Quote:
I don't understand this post...WTF? I'll buy you $25.00 worth of wrenches and some tire patch IF you address the BMW FAULTY anetenna ring.
I addressed it in my post! I have tools now, but thanks anyway

You'll keep buying BMW's too! I see you had an RT also. Mine had 50k miles when I traded it on the 05GS. I had to put a fork seal in at 36k. The 1150GS needed a tailight bulb at around 40k. My 12GS has needed a headlight, tailight bulb & now the parking light doesn't work. Not much for me to complain about!

Sorry you had a problem, but there are a lot of others like me that haven't.

I was joking about the tool kit. I did call & complain though.
05-GS- Rock Red 91k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:46 PM   #598
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreiter
Frankly, I don't understand attitudes like yours...a spare diode board and generator rotors are parts essential to the operation of the bike--when and if they break you need to be prepared to fix them.
The only difference between the diode board and the EWS antenna is that you don't think you need the EWS antenna. OK. I wonder how many riders bitched about diode boards in the 70s because they obviously were not needed, too. After all, if BMW had stuck with the magneto system used in the earlier bikes a working battery wasn't needed to get the bike going, either. Who needs extra lights and heated gear, anyway

It's too soon to tell, but I suspect that my R12GS will turn out to be more reliable than the R80 I once owned. That bike needed top end work at 80-90K. Not uncommon. The R80 was certainly more reliable than the R69S that I still own.

// marc
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:58 PM   #599
TomTom63
Motorradfahrer

Oddometer: 1,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBeener
My Windows-based PC and my MacBook won't strand me in the middle of nowhere.

Usually, a hard re-boot will fix what ails either of them.

So .... your point, then, would be .... what, exactly?

Quote:
The only difference between the diode board and the EWS antenna is that you don't think you need the EWS antenna. OK. I wonder how many riders bitched about diode boards in the 70s because they obviously were not needed, too. After all, if BMW had stuck with the magneto system used in the earlier bikes a working battery wasn't needed to get the bike going, either. Who needs extra lights and heated gear, anyway

It's too soon to tell, but I suspect that my R12GS will turn out to be more reliable than the R80 I once owned. That bike needed top end work at 80-90K. Not uncommon. The R80 was certainly more reliable than the R69S that I still own.

// marc
...that's exactly my point !

TomTom63 screwed with this post 11-19-2007 at 10:31 AM
TomTom63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:33 PM   #600
bwallis42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
The point of my post is that BMW has a factory installed defective product placed on a bike that will render it unoperatable...That seriously warrants BMW to recall this defective feature. The bike is heavily marketed as an "Adventure" & "Visit the ends of the World" bike; seems like BMW-NA should address the issue or I call bullshit on their marketing and advertising.
I believe (at least for AUS) that an imobilizer is a requirement to pass the local regulations to get a vehicle registered. I know it is the case for cars and it probably is for bikes as well. So, BMW put the imobilizer on the bike so that I can buy it and actually register it in this country.

So, we are stuck with it. Immobilizers have (apparently) decreased the number of thefts. Joyriders now have to go for older cars (and bikes) that can be hotwired. (The serious thief will use a forklift and a truck or a laptop and a cloned key, you won't stop them!)

I wonder how many bikes have *not* been stolen on a RTW trip because they had an immobilizer that the would be thief could not bypass?

The feature we want on the bike is a secure form of override for the EWS such as entry of a PIN using either the clock button or turning the key on and off a number of times. That is what we should ask for, not elimination of a feature that they cannot get rid of due to current regulations.
bwallis42 is offline   Reply With Quote