View Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2007, 06:05 PM   #676
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxlr8
I've been doing this motorcycle thing a long, long time. When I dropped down $20,000 for mine, I knew there would be "issues". I'd just like to know if people think that the BMW's they are buying are ......."golden".
You seem like a bright guy. And you've had a lot of experience, having been around many different motorcycles for a while, and haven actually rode them, learning their faults over time. But....
General questioning and loose social-speak of the Roundel that can possibly be negative in nature isn't welcome by most of the sippers and owners here in this forum.

Toupees and and feelings can be easily ruffled. Understand that for some people, it's not just a motorcycle, but a presumed lifestyle. Hence the personal feelings and emotions involved, and that are exhibited at times.

I suggest maybe sitting back, relaxing with a warm fire glowing, and pouring a nice full cup for yourself. Pretend.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:07 PM   #677
Nitzo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
You seem like a bright guy.
Wrong, but thank-you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone rider

And you've had a lot of experience, having been around many different motorcycles for a while, and haven actually rode them, learning their faults over time.
Yes, lots, and many

Quote:
General questioning and loose social-speak of the Roundel that can possibly be negative in nature isn't welcome by most of the sippers and owners here in this forum.

Toupees and and feelings can be easily ruffled.
There was no disrepect intended here. I understand the rules of the "pack".

Quote:
Understand that for some people, it's not just a motorcycle, but a presumed lifestyle. Hence the personal feelings and emotions involved, and that are exhibited at times.
I also understand this, but..........it is still just a peice of metal, it does not have a soul. It sits in our garage and when we call, it becomes what we want it to be. That is "all" it is.

Quote:
I suggest maybe sitting back, relaxing with a warm fire glowing, and pouring a nice full cup for yourself. Pretend.

Ahhhh, yes. Getting late, London broil on the grill, fresh rum and coke.........it's all good.

Taken, thanks,
Nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:46 PM   #678
Jimbo GS
Jimbo GS

Oddometer: 1
2,000 miles for me

Got the dreaded EWS! at 2,000 miles on my '07. Sadly, I was in the middle of nowhere Wisconsin at 5 PM on a Saturday evening. Cold. Dark. No start. 20 minutes later it started again.

Dealer replaced the antenna but now I have no faith in the bike on a long trip from civilization.

JAK
Jimbo GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:08 PM   #679
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo GS
Dealer replaced the antenna but now I have no faith in the bike on a long trip from civilization.
Most failures of the EWS ring seem to happen on low mileage bikes. For under $120, you can carry a spare antenna for your peace of mind.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:38 AM   #680
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,766
Quote:
You seem like a bright guy. And you've had a lot of experience, having been around many different motorcycles for a while, and haven actually rode them, learning their faults over time. But....

Toupees and and feelings can be easily ruffled. Understand that for some people, it's not just a motorcycle, but a presumed lifestyle. Hence the personal feelings and emotions involved, and that are exhibited at times.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:46 AM   #681
gsmoto31
Miami&Maggie

Oddometer: 72
Back in the saddle...

Quote:
Got the dreaded EWS! at 2,000 miles on my '07. Sadly, I was in the middle of nowhere Wisconsin at 5 PM on a Saturday evening. Cold. Dark. No start. 20 minutes later it started again.

JAK

Picked up my 07 GSA (4K miles) at the dealer yesterday after he installed a new antenna ring under warranty. It sure felt great to back on a running machine after the EWS failure last week. My wife and I will be doing a long overnight ride this weekend, so I'm hoping for the best.

By the way, I asked the wrench at the dealer whether he has ever had to replace an EWS antenna twice. Sadly, he replied yes, a K12R had two antenna failures this past summer.
gsmoto31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:26 AM   #682
dwf
2007 R1200GS Adventure

Oddometer: 741
Have we done a poll on bike mileage when the EWS ring failed? Sorry I can't recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Most failures of the EWS ring seem to happen on low mileage bikes. For under $120, you can carry a spare antenna for your peace of mind.
dwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:35 PM   #683
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxlr8
I also understand this, but..........it is still just a peice of metal, it does not have a soul.
Man, you're way out of line here. I'd go back to the garage and apologize to your bike before something bad happens.
ShaftEd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:44 PM   #684
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaftEd
Man, you're way out of line here. I'd go back to the garage and apologize to your bike before something bad happens.
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:50 PM   #685
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwf
Have we done a poll on bike mileage when the EWS ring failed? Sorry I can't recall.
yes, and polls tend to be inconclusive because people who don't own the bike sometimes pile on, but it appears that the ring failure tends to occur on newer bikes.

FWIW, I decided to remove the "security" cover that covers the EWS harness. Those two tiny torx screws are not one way security screws that need to be drilled out. Maybe the screws that hold the antenna in place on the bike are, but the cover that shields the harness only requires a tiny torx to remove them, then the harness is quick connector is fully exposed. If you happen to carry a spare antenna, you quickly disconnect it from the stock antenna, hold the spare one over the key hole, and plug it into the bike's harness, insert the key and the bike should start.

I'm still hoping someone can come up with a way to permanently disable the immobilizer by updating the code in the bike's computer.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:46 PM   #686
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
GB, as promised, I spent some time looking for the guy who had found someone who might be able to program around the immobilizer. I found post #508 (Oct 30), but I don't think that is the right one...couldn't find anything else on two passes, but I think someone had a more promising contact subsequent to #508. I thought the post was on this thread, but might it have been on another of the EWS threads?
motoreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:19 PM   #687
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,283
Question "The Envelope Please..The Winner Is.."

[quote=Gadget Boy]
I'm still hoping someone can come up with a way to permanently disable the immobilizer by updating the code in the bike's computer.[/quote]

And what GB sez is 'no-shit'...why some bright EE has not devised a work-around to disable this goofy and flawed anti-theft attempt by BMW really is a puzzle..

Same page, different paragraph...has anyone confirmed that BMW is actively working on the antenna issue and if they have made any running design changes in the system or antenna? Are the replacement antenna the same design and manufacture as the failed ones? Or, have they made "improvements"? I do not know how BMW handles part numbers, but just a new replacement part number probably doesn't signify a newer part design.

Mean time, ride it like you stole it....still one hell of a fine bike!
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:25 PM   #688
Nitzo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaftEd

I did....It was the rum talking.
Nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:34 PM   #689
dwf
2007 R1200GS Adventure

Oddometer: 741
As with all BMW modifications--no one will ever no until the problem just disapears. They will never admit there is a problem.

[quote=Wallowa]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy

Same page, different paragraph...has anyone confirmed that BMW is actively working on the antenna issue and if they have made any running design changes in the system or antenna? Are the replacement antenna the same design and manufacture as the failed ones? Or, have they made "improvements"? I do not know how BMW handles part numbers, but just a new replacement part number probably doesn't signify a newer part design.

Mean time, ride it like you stole it....still one hell of a fine bike!
dwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:57 PM   #690
mrmaico
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreiter
GB, as promised, I spent some time looking for the guy who had found someone who might be able to program around the immobilizer. I found post #508 (Oct 30), but I don't think that is the right one...couldn't find anything else on two passes, but I think someone had a more promising contact subsequent to #508. I thought the post was on this thread, but might it have been on another of the EWS threads?

I think you're looking for "dugmar" from Turner Motorsports, posts 91 and 93.

Barry

mrmaico screwed with this post 11-30-2007 at 04:02 PM
mrmaico is offline   Reply With Quote