ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2007, 05:11 AM   #751
Racegun
Single Track Mind!
 
Racegun's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: 40ft above sea level
Oddometer: 2,548
Cool2 ask for what you want

Of all the members here, it seems like they know someone who has had to survive the EWS news. To that end, there has to be a dealer(s) or even an owner, that has a broken one on the work bench....how 'bout it BMW Atlanta ?

Maybe we should start a thread that asks for used/ broken parts...specifically the antenna ring or associated computer !!
__________________
Cheers!
Dave
Racegun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 06:50 AM   #752
widebmw
Studly Adventurer
 
widebmw's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Reno, NV
Oddometer: 642
I think that parts replaced under warranty are sent back to BMW.
widebmw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:53 AM   #753
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: NE Oregon
Oddometer: 5,011
Wicked Ah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by widebmw
I think that parts replaced under warranty are sent back to BMW.
Ah! They want them for possible engineering reviews...or to destroy the evidence...."I see nothing, I know nothing"; BMW quote wasn't it?
__________________
"In Wallowas"
====================
2007 R1200GS Adventure " ...to explore off-road, alone in my case, way out in the boonies...that feeds the soul!"
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:59 AM   #754
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 1,521
Defective antenna rings are evaluated and archived by the CIA's evidence department.

NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:20 PM   #755
Bikewider
Adventurer
 
Bikewider's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Near the Cape, Mass
Oddometer: 79
EWS problems

I bought my 07 GSA with 5500 miles on it. The first time it happened it was with the previous owner. He purchased a spare to keep with him, which I in turn purchased from him when I bought the bike (just in case...). Sure enough, I hit 6100 miles and it failed again. Fortunately, I was in my driveway. I figured out how to use the spare one so I could still ride. When the bike was 6k serviced, they put a new one in. Guess what's sitting in my on board tool kit..........
No explanation from the dealer either.
Bikewider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:29 PM   #756
Lone Rider
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: out and about
Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside
I am SURE that by this time someone has cracked open their old antenna ring to look inside. JVB? Or? Where are are the pics?




....no one in our 500 member club has had a failure, at least that I know of.

Jim
Jim,
Should I assume by your post that all 500 members in this club have a bike(s) using this device, as this is what your statement alludes to?
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:08 PM   #757
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: NE Oregon
Oddometer: 5,011
Laugh Yes...Indeedy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
Jim,
Should I assume by your post that all 500 members in this club have a bike(s) using this device, as this is what your statement alludes to?
Jim is kool about this, as are a lot of other old salts who have been around BMWs for centuries...but always remember that just about any problem I have read about with our bikes: #1 BMW will not acknowledge anything that even hints of a problem with their bikes unless a safety recall is forced on them and #2 There is an unstated and a stated..."all bikes have problems and specifically the current issue with BMWs is 'statistically insignificant' and just live with it"...not knocking that mind-set voiced by many...very pragmatic...just damn difficult to swallow...GB and others have talked me down from my near melt-downs and I have to acknowledge that more often than not I am 100% ineffectual in getting any information or support out of BMW so rather that pissing into the wind and getting all assed up...I just repeat: "It is what it is" and dig in for a work around...makes for a MUCH calmer existence!
__________________
"In Wallowas"
====================
2007 R1200GS Adventure " ...to explore off-road, alone in my case, way out in the boonies...that feeds the soul!"
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:16 PM   #758
Lone Rider
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: out and about
Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
Jim is kool about this, as are a lot of other old salts who have been around BMWs for centuries...but always remember that just about any problem I have read about with our bikes: #1 BMW will not acknowledge anything that even hints of a problem with their bikes unless a safety recall is forced on them and #2 There is an unstated and a stated..."all bikes have problems and specifically the current issue with BMWs is 'statistically insignificant' and just live with it"...not knocking that mind-set voiced by many...very pragmatic...just damn difficult to swallow...GB and others have talked me down from my near melt-downs and I have to acknowledge that more often than not I am 100% ineffectual in getting any information or support out of BMW so rather that pissing into the wind and getting all assed up...I just repeat: "It is what it is" and dig in for a work around...makes for a MUCH calmer existence!
I appreciate your thoughts.

Are you a member of Jim's 500-member club?

Lone Rider screwed with this post 12-08-2007 at 05:46 PM
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:31 PM   #759
gpothoven
whatever
 
gpothoven's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Quito, Ecuador
Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside
I am SURE that by this time someone has cracked open their old antenna ring to look inside. JVB? Or? Where are are the pics?
http://lh5.google.com/Kevfoley/R0Nyo...JPG?imgmax=512

Kev ( www.kevfoley.com ) got to take a pretty good look inside his...
gpothoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:48 PM   #760
Poolside
Syndicated
 
Poolside's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Oddometer: 11,700

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpothoven
http://lh5.google.com/Kevfoley/R0Nyo...JPG?imgmax=512

Kev ( www.kevfoley.com ) got to take a pretty good look inside his...
OUch. That's one way to do it. Thanks for the link. I don't see any pictures of the inside components though. Only the one that shows the green color of a circuit board.

- Jim

__________________

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:56 PM   #761
gpothoven
whatever
 
gpothoven's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Quito, Ecuador
Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside


OUch. That's one way to do it. Thanks for the link. I don't see any pictures of the inside components though. Only the one that shows the green color of a circuit board.

- Jim
Shoot Kev a PM and ask him to tear that one up and email you pics.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271708
gpothoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 07:14 PM   #762
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
Jim,
Should I assume by your post that all 500 members in this club have a bike(s) using this device, as this is what your statement alludes to?
That would be a bad ASSumption LR. I never said all 500 members had bikes with this device on it, now did I?

My point was, I know a lot of people, several dozens with bikes equipped with this device. I was not saying it isn't a problem, though you ASSumed that was my point, I was saying, to Poolside, that I have not come across this yet, in response to his query.

Sometimes I wonder if you live in an alternate universe and are visiting, or if you just like acting like everyone is somehow less worthy than you!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:38 PM   #763
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: NE Oregon
Oddometer: 5,011
Hey LR, Your Welcomed...But Wrong 500..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
I appreciate your thoughts.

Are you a member of Jim's 500-member club?
Nope never had the pleasure of riding with Jim...and I fervently hope that my '07 GSA [3,500+ miles] never gets bitten by the EWS/FD curse..

Oh yes and I do wish I was a member of the 500..Fortune 500 that is..

There was talk [GB?] about chipping in $$$ when needed for a work around product...PM me when and if that happens...I might be down for that...but any fix needs to be one that I can accomplish without asking BMW for help....
__________________
"In Wallowas"
====================
2007 R1200GS Adventure " ...to explore off-road, alone in my case, way out in the boonies...that feeds the soul!"
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:03 AM   #764
Lone Rider
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: out and about
Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
That would be a bad ASSumption LR. I never said all 500 members had bikes with this device on it, now did I?...............
Sorry, Jim. My mistake.
I'd hoped that the 500 members you mentioned earlier actually related to this EWS issue in some way.
But I'm glad I asked and do appreciate your clearing this up.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:38 PM   #765
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
Sorry, Jim. My mistake.
I'd hoped that the 500 members you mentioned earlier actually related to this EWS issue in some way.
But I'm glad I asked and do appreciate your clearing this up.
Like you care about anything other than being a smart ass!

If you really cared about helping, you would give some productive input, instead of sarcastic BS as you seem to like to do.

Now, the 100 members, or so, that own bikes in my club with the EWS, have never, to my knowledge, had an EWS failure. And YES, I would have heard about it.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014