Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2008, 06:53 AM   #856
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bwana
Sounds familiar.

Since I have my bike I never know if he will start. I will start now and the next moment the EWS! signal shows up. Wait a few hours or a day or 2 (there is no logic in it) and the signal is gone and I can start again!

My dealer suggest me to bring it in, however, I'm on an island and "return ticket" for my bike to the dealer in Florida cost me US$ 2,500.00 dollar. Didn't budget it for a new bike, certainly not for a BMW.

Since the signal disappears during the time the bike is not in use, I'm lost about the origin of the problem. I do not think it is the antenna, more some kind of timer in the system.
Does it do this with all your keys? It really sounds like a key issue.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:22 AM   #857
The Bwana
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Does it do this with all your keys? It really sounds like a key issue.

Jim
Hi Jim,

The masterkey and the plastic spare key are the only keys I got with the bike 2 months ago. Using both, the problem stays. Could be that both keys need to be replaced (or the battery).

Henk
Old 01-21-2008, 07:25 AM   #858
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bwana
Hi Jim,

The masterkey and the plastic spare key are the only keys I got with the bike 2 months ago. Using both, the problem stays. Could be that both keys need to be replaced (or the battery).

Henk
If both keys are doing it it very well might be the antenna ring, or the connection to it. It might be worth replacing the antenna ring anyhow. It is fairly cheap, and not too hard to replace. IF it fixes it, you might be able to petition BMW to pay for it.

Jim

PS YOu don't keep both keys, or any other "chipped" keys or RF devices on your keyring do you?
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:47 AM   #859
The Bwana
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
If both keys are doing it it very well might be the antenna ring, or the connection to it. It might be worth replacing the antenna ring anyhow. It is fairly cheap, and not too hard to replace. IF it fixes it, you might be able to petition BMW to pay for it.

Jim

PS YOu don't keep both keys, or any other "chipped" keys or RF devices on your keyring do you?
Hi Jim,

No, I keep them seperate (according to the manual).

Let me indeed give it a try (replacing the antenna). The opinions about replacing the antenna ring, are going from one extreme to the other. Maybe you can give me same instructions/advice on it

Thanks,

Henk
Old 01-21-2008, 09:39 AM   #860
gpothoven
whatever

Oddometer: 2,129
Itīs a long thread, and forgive me if itīs been asked. Isnīt the same concept/system used on BMW cars? The cars donīt have the same rate of failures do they? or is it just a badly designed ring used only on the bikes?
gpothoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:59 AM   #861
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Bluhduh It IS a Safety Issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
Agreed. There's no reason to execute a recall or service bulletin.
The problem is only with the motorcycle not being operable, not one of safety.
No BMW does not have to issue a bulletin to the OWNERS each time it re-designs a part...but BMW should issue a bulletin to the BMW mechanics working at the shops defining what the problem was and how the new part corrects that...further more owners should be notified of problems and re-designs by either BMW or the dealer that they purchased the bikes from...why keep the owners in the dark?

Is the EWS a safety issue? You bet your ass it is!

Turn off the ignition 50 or 500 miles from anyone that can help to get you out of there and then get a bike that will not start with the EWS message...it quickly becomes a survival issue...not all BMW riders stay in cell phone range or on pavement with traffic..come on lets be real here, when the problem renders the bike non "operable" and you are out in BFE [Remember the GSs are touted as Adventure bikes and some of us ride alone and out in the boonies?] it is not an issue of "put some money in and get it running again" it can become "how the hell can I survive"...no drama here, just basic risk management...playing ostrich does not help.
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:50 AM   #862
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
....Is the EWS a safety issue? You bet your ass it is!

Turn off the ignition 50 or 500 miles from anyone that can help to get you out of there and then get a bike that will not start with the EWS message...it quickly becomes a survival issue...not all BMW riders stay in cell phone range or on pavement with traffic..come on lets be real here, when the problem renders the bike non "operable" and you are out in BFE [Remember the GSs are touted as Adventure bikes and some of us ride alone and out in the boonies?] it is not an issue of "put some money in and get it running again" it can become "how the hell can I survive"...no drama here, just basic risk management...playing ostrich does not help.
I whole heartily agree. No question.
My post was meant tongue-in-cheek.

BMW well knows that most of their customers are pretending anyway.
BringMoreWallet
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:57 AM   #863
herrdirektor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
I whole heartily agree. No question.
My post was meant tongue-in-cheek.

BMW well knows that most of their customers are pretending anyway.
BringMoreWallet
You caught me off guard here, Lone Ranger.
I was pretty sure BMW stood for BeMyWife or BringMichWerkstatt !!
Old 01-21-2008, 11:30 AM   #864
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
Quote:
Turn off the ignition 50 or 500 miles from anyone that can help to get you out of there and then get a bike that will not start with the EWS message...
the same can be said of ANY component on the bike.. ANY component that fails can leave you stranded. Battery, fuel pump, starter switch, relay... etc..
Old 01-21-2008, 11:55 AM   #865
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Wink True...BUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
the same can be said of ANY component on the bike.. ANY component that fails can leave you stranded. Battery, fuel pump, starter switch, relay... etc..
OK..no chance of reaching a middle ground here...yes anything can happen to immobilize the bike and strand the rider..

BUT we are talking about the ignition failure aren't we?

How many R1200GS/Adventures have been left stranded by a "battery, fuel pump, starter switch, relay...etc.."? I am certain a few...but the EWS is the topic here. We need BMW to correct either an inferior design, materials or workmanship...and of equal importance let the owners know when and if they do...it is our butts out there on a dead bike..keeping owners in the dark IS a safety issue and in my book a credibility killer...hard to trust a company or persons that hide behind a curtain of silence.

Again we are talking about an "immobilizer" that is stranding the riders of the bike and they should not be...
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:32 PM   #866
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
We need BMW to correct either an inferior design, materials or workmanship...
maybe they already have... there is a new part number.. i.e. that ring failure has not gone unnoticed.

Quote:
..keeping owners in the dark IS a safety issue and in my book a credibility killer...hard to trust a company or persons that hide behind a curtain of silence.
If you rely 100% on any mechanical object to take you 500 miles into the woods, away from any sort of help and that machine breaks down, you took a calculated risk and you lost. I never go off roading in the woods alone. Ever. Companies never issue a press statement to tell customers why a design was changed, unless it's a recall.. BMW issues plenty of service bulletins which are not supposed to be made public, they are for their dealers. Why was the ring antenna part number changed??

Quote:
Again we are talking about an "immobilizer" that is stranding the riders of the bike and they should not be...
We are going around in circles here, as we've covered this a few dozen pages before. I'd like the EWS disabled because I don't see any value in having it, but it can't be. If you're that worried about it, carry a spare, or do what the dood who was worried about an FD failure did.. traded his in for an F650 even though he had no FD problems.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:47 PM   #867
pastor passum
Reverend Noob

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Sorry GB but I've gotta call BS on that one Batterys, fuel pumps, starters etc are all necessary for a bike, car...whatever. However a device designed to keep a motorcycle from being stolen falls into the same catagory as an alarm or LoJack type device, neither of which should leave you stranded if they fail to work. If BMW can't make the immobilizer totally reliable then they should at the very least provide a work around much as Ducati has done. But don't try and make it sound like this thing is just like any other essential device on the bike. It's not Carry on

Jim
pastor passum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:00 PM   #868
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,686

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrdirektor
You caught me off guard here, Lone Ranger.
I was pretty sure BMW stood for BeMyWife or BringMichWerkstatt !!
Beso Mi Wuevos

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:02 PM   #869
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastor passum
Sorry GB but I've gotta call BS on that one Batterys, fuel pumps, starters etc are all necessary for a bike, car...whatever. However a device designed to keep a motorcycle from being stolen falls into the same catagory as an alarm or LoJack type device, neither of which should leave you stranded if they fail to work. If BMW can't make the immobilizer totally reliable then they should at the very least provide a work around much as Ducati has done. But don't try and make it sound like this thing is just like any other essential device on the bike. It's not Carry on

Jim
Agreed.. I've said it a dozen times and I'll say it again, if we had the option of disabling it, I'd get mine disabled... . but there is NOTHING you can do about it.. you cannot disable it.. so people keep whining... and whining isn't going to help us disable it.. I sugggested some concrete proposals, JPalamar offered up his very own ECU. There's a company that specializes in disabling EWS on BMW cars.. have any of the whiners taken the initiative to call them and see if they are willing to give is a try?

Ultimately, if you feel the bike is so unreliable, get rid of it. BMW is not going to voluntarily give us the option to disable the EWS. If anyone does, it will be an aftermarket solution.. but has anyone started the ball rolling??
Old 01-21-2008, 02:11 PM   #870
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,278

I miss all the fun! I didn't get the memo.

55 pages on another design fault with a $20,000 motorcycle and no solution from the builders, owners, posers, aftermarket, etc. Just rationalizing!!

Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote