0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2008, 02:17 PM   #871
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Ultimately, if you feel the bike is so unreliable, get rid of it.
The rough equivalent of "My country. Love it or leave it" or "You're either with US or your with the terrorists."

Black/white thinking seems beneath you, GB, and that's a compliment.

Quote:
BMW is not going to voluntarily give us the option to disable the EWS. If anyone does, it will be an aftermarket solution.. but has anyone started the ball rolling??
I wrote two USPS-mailed letters to BMWNA and used their online web form for two additional e-mails. The first letter generated a reply from a BMWNA employee whose contact info I included on this thread.

I, again, suggest that others call him to report their concerns, and to ask what progress, if any, has been made.

Finding fault with my bike <> a need/desire to sell it.

Finding fault with my country does not mean I ought to consider living elsewhere.

I'll just never understand all-or-nothing thinkers, and ... as always ... feel free to never click on this thread if you don't want to hear folks reasonably concerned about a failure point on their bikes.

Who's signature says something like "reasonable people accept things as they are. So ... any progress made in this world is thanks to UNreasonable people," or something like that.

This thread seems to have motivated "poolside" and another inmate or two to consider whether they could do anything about this, from an engineering standpoint.

If you seek to squelch what you see as "whining" about this topic, you're just as likely to squelch additional ideas or progress.

Whyyyyyyyyy would anybody want to do that?

I will never understand.

Is your love for your BMW so insecure that other's questioning it puts it in jeopardy????

Mine's not.
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:33 PM   #872
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
JPalamar offered up his very own ECU. There's a company that specializes in disabling EWS on BMW cars.. have any of the whiners taken the initiative to call them and see if they are willing to give is a try?
It's been quite a while since [they] received the ECU...I suspect that BMW did a good job and 'cracking the code' not an easy task. I'm a bit disappointed, but not surprised. I'm watching my R1150 Adv increase in value...of course I'm joking.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:59 PM   #873
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBeener
Is your love for your BMW so insecure that other's questioning it puts it in jeopardy????
Get one thing straight, I don't have "love" for my GS. I'm a bike ho.. I've never owned any bike for more than 2 years. I jump from bike to bike.. well, until the GS. There's nothing out there I'd rather be riding. If there was, the GS would be history too.

I put my money where my mouth is... I had a 12GS with servo/ABS. FOR ME, the servo/ABS was unreliable. When it worked, it was great but on my bike it didn't work all the time , so I got rid of the bike after owning it for only 3 months. For me, life's too short to fret, whine and worry.

You keep writing your letters to BMWNA and see how far you'll get and when the next generation GS is released and the EWS has been replaced by something else, you will feel vindicated. Just like those who whined about oilheads surging, and when BMW came out with the dual spark, the surging was gone.

p.s. my oilhead never surged.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:04 PM   #874
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
It's been quite a while since [they] received the ECU...I suspect that BMW did a good job and 'cracking the code' not an easy task. I'm a bit disappointed, but not surprised. I'm watching my R1150 Adv increase in value...of course I'm joking.
John,
If it was easily defeatable, BMW factory racing bikes would have had theirs disabled. But they're not... maybe, just maybe, the new part number could mean a redesign and a more reliable part. Maybe??

I'm hoping the next generation GS will have bluetooth enabled ignition system, like the one some Jap bikes and cars. You're within 3 feet of the bike, no key is needed, just sit on the bike, hit start and ride.. as long as your bike card/key is in your pocket.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:11 PM   #875
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Just like those who whined about oilheads surging, and when BMW came out with the dual spark, the surging was gone.

p.s. my oilhead never surged.
Mine either!

2008 R1200GS (Slate Gray Metallic Matt)
2003 R1150GS (Night Black)
PRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:32 PM   #876
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Get one thing straight, I don't have "love" for my GS. I'm a bike ho..
The things I learn Rick. Damn, I'm a bike ho also!
Old 01-21-2008, 03:46 PM   #877
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,726

Quote:
Hey there John. Yes it isn't the easiest thing, but at least it's more or less in the right hands.

I designed and built these devices in the early 90's for various official users. One of them defeats 'rolling code' vehicle alarms and garage door openers. I've been under orders not to build them. The devices in the pictures are rendered inoperative, non-functional.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation

Poolside screwed with this post 01-22-2008 at 12:12 AM
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:51 PM   #878
GB
Mod Squad

The only way for us to disable the EWS is going to come from people like you Poolside..

Old 01-21-2008, 04:17 PM   #879
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,421
Quote:
The only way for us to disable the EWS is going to come from people like you Poolside..

+1

Not much else we can do but try on our own, and hope that eventually BMW will capitulate. But whining on an internet forum wont help. Neal did the right thing sending real letter to BMW!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:34 PM   #880
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside

Hey there John. Yes it isn't the easiest thing, but at least it's more or less in the right hands.

Please Jim, I wasn't being critical, just supportive in that I'm very, very sure this is a difficult, daunting, if not [almost?] impossible task. And, truth be told, while some, including myself will gladly pay to disable, I'll bet in the final analysis very few will cough up the money for the disabling method. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:07 PM   #881
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,726

Quote:
Please Jim, I wasn't being critical, just supportive in that I'm very, very sure this is a difficult, daunting, if not [almost?] impossible task. And, truth be told, while some, including myself will gladly pay to disable, I'll bet in the final analysis very few will cough up the money for the disabling method. Good luck.
I didn't hear it as negative John, and thanks just the same. I was just strutting my stuff, such as it is. In the end, my money's still on someone finding the menu that contains the 'EWS Disable' check box, in the BMW dealer diagnostic console, the GT-1.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:40 AM   #882
IND GS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Just wanted to report that I just replaced my EWS antenna at 600kms. The procedure was fairly straightforward requiring to remove the handle bar and the triple tree. Once removed from the bike the, EWS is between the triple tree which is two section bolted together with security bolts. The bolts are one way only and needed to be drilled out for removal. You would need a heavy drill to get these bolts out as BMW made sure that these bolts cannot be tampered with. Once removed replacing the EWS was a snap. I dont recommend this a DIY unless you are comfortable with drilling the bolts out. Otherwise a qualified mechanic needs to do it. Mine was done by an independent BMW motorad mechanic who has done it before on a '06 GS. Eventhough replaced I EWS I will always carry a spare. The bike has left me stranded once and dont want the same thing happening twice.
IND GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:46 AM   #883
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,083
What Did Your Mechanic Say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IND GS
Just wanted to report that I just replaced my EWS antenna at 600kms. The procedure was fairly straightforward requiring to remove the handle bar and the triple tree. Once removed from the bike the, EWS is between the triple tree which is two section bolted together with security bolts. The bolts are one way only and needed to be drilled out for removal. You would need a heavy drill to get these bolts out as BMW made sure that these bolts cannot be tampered with. Once removed replacing the EWS was a snap. I dont recommend this a DIY unless you are comfortable with drilling the bolts out. Otherwise a qualified mechanic needs to do it. Mine was done by an independent BMW motorad mechanic who has done it before on a '06 GS. Eventhough replaced I EWS I will always carry a spare. The bike has left me stranded once and dont want the same thing happening twice.
Thanks for info...what did you mechanic say about the 'new' antenna...does he think it is an improved antenna and the chance of a future EWS is less?

Thanks..

PS...Your GS, a 2007?
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:56 AM   #884
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by IND GS
Eventhough replaced I EWS I will always carry a spare. The bike has left me stranded once and dont want the same thing happening twice.
Just be sure that the new part you installed on your bike and the spare that you carry have the new part number on them. The part number is molded right onto it, so you can easily verify if it's the new part number or the old one.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:51 AM   #885
IND GS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Question

Yes the antenna installed is the one with the new part number. When I went to the dealer to buy the part and gave the old part number, it came out with the new part number as the old part number is no longer available, well at least here in Asia. My GS has a production date of 11/06. Does it make it a '07 ?
IND GS is offline   Reply With Quote