Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-24-2007, 07:32 PM   #76
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,965
Your black plastic spare key should start the bike. It did mine.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:03 PM   #77
gpothoven
whatever

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC
Your black plastic spare key should start the bike. It did mine.
adamr, you said you tried the "spare" key, is that a spare you had made, or is it the plstic spare that came with the bike? In any case, the plastic spare has a chip as well, so I doubt it will solve the problem.
gpothoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:45 AM   #78
adamr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
My 'spare' is the black plastic one that came w/the bike. It didn't work either.
adamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:56 AM   #79
BobFV1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 23,806
I was down in the little town of Tullahoma, Tennessee one Saturday evening earlier this month after a long day of twisty riding through the Great Smoky Mountains. My bike has a little over 22K miles on it. I pulled in to a hotel parking lot and turned the key off. I saw a better place to park and quickly switched the key on again - immediately after I turned it off - and I got an "EWS Error" message and the bike was immobilized (would not start).

Lucky for me it was a transient glitch. I shut the bike off for about a minute, then went through the normal boot-up procedure and it was fine. I have not had the bike on a code reader since then and I will be interested to see if and how this shows up.

Good luck.

BobFV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:10 AM   #80
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,354
Rarely, but sometimes, disconnecting the battery for a minute has allowed the rider to get going again.

The couple times I have heard of this the rider has not had this repeat again, so it was not broken, but a glitch.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:19 AM   #81
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,550
Bob,

What you describe above sounds like your KEY might be failing. On a dual sport ride last month, a guy on a new GS ADV got the EWS off the beaten track, on a dirt trail.. just as we were about to tackle a steep quad track. The dealer who had organized the ride was there and he said he had had a few EWS ring antenna failures and a couple of keys go bad. He said the key symptoms was an intermittent EWS message, then the bike would work. Always carry a spare.

And short of reprogramming the BMS-K computer at the factory, there's no way to defeat or disable the immobilizer..
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:21 AM   #82
Beeming
Itchy Feet

Oddometer: 636
Well that sucks. Anyone know how to hot wire a GSAdv when and if this happens? What if your 1000 miles from help?
After reading this post about the faulty immobiliser leaving you stranded I'm a bit worried about heading too far off the beaten track until I know how to bypass it.
Like BMW said to me, we'll come get ya under road side assist...as long as your on a main (gazetted) road...
Would replacing the ignition module bypass the immobilizer?

Hope your back on the road soon Adam

Tads
07 GS1200ADV (History), 2008 Oz Trike, 93 FLHS HD, 83 XLH HD(Missus Bike), 97 GSX-R-600(Ex SuperSport Race Bike), 97 XR-400, 74 Norton Commando Mk II(Ex Post Classic race Bike), 06 DT-175, 82 CB-250, 02 VMoto. Work to Ride, Ride to Work
http://wwf.org.au/ourwork/species/
...Adventure before Dementia...
Beeming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:21 AM   #83
adamr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
I must've tried 15 times to start it over the course of two hours, but no luck. I'll try disconnecting & reconnecting the battery and seeing if that makes a difference.
adamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:23 AM   #84
BobFV1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 23,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Bob,

What you describe above sounds like your KEY might be failing. On a dual sport ride last month, a guy on a new GS ADV got the EWS off the beaten track, on a dirt trail.. just as we were about to tackle a steep quad track. The dealer who had organized the ride was there and he said he had had a few EWS ring antenna failures and a couple of keys go bad. He said the key symptoms was an intermittent EWS message, then the bike would work. Always carry a spare.

And short of reprogramming the BMS-K computer at the factory, there's no way to defeat or disable the immobilizer..
Thanks for the tip - I do not have a spare key so this is probably as good a time as any to order a new one and keep the current one as a spare. That is, provided I ever get the gas tank back on the bike!

BobFV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:26 AM   #85
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFV1
Thanks for the tip - I do not have a spare key so this is probably as good a time as any to order a new one and keep the current one as a spare. That is, provided I ever get the gas tank back on the bike!
Dificulties with the shock installation?

Jim
Old 06-25-2007, 06:28 AM   #86
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamr
I must've tried 15 times to start it over the course of two hours, but no luck. I'll try disconnecting & reconnecting the battery and seeing if that makes a difference.
We tried that a few times when the fellow was stuck on the off road trail, to no avail.. Roadside assistance had to make it all the way to the trail!

I just wish they would give us the option of disabling it permanently and riding without it.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:30 AM   #87
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Dificulties with the shock installation?

Jim

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242353
Old 06-25-2007, 06:39 AM   #88
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
We tried that a few times when the fellow was stuck on the off road trail, to no avail.. Roadside assistance had to make it all the way to the trail!

I just wish they would give us the option of disabling it permanently and riding without it.
In this one case, I have to say I think BMW is working a non-issue here. It sure would be nice if they could simply throw a virtual switch and turn it off. I bet it IS possible.

Jim
Old 06-25-2007, 06:45 AM   #89
GB
Mod Squad

There's gotta be enough pressure from riders who want to venture off the beaten path or not.. just not have that thing.. I've not had an issue with it, but if I could get rid of it, I would.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:50 AM   #90
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,231
All This Un-needed Gadgetry makes the new GS as useful as a parachute that does not OPEN

Very sad, since the Bikes are great.